Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-18, 06:40 AM
Varsity

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
OAC JH weigh outs

I noticed a number of forfeits in the placement rounds at OAC JH, and I'm assuming this is due to kids missing weight. I'm curious for those who were there thoughts on how the weigh outs worked?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 07:09 AM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
I noticed a number of forfeits in the placement rounds at OAC JH, and I'm assuming this is due to kids missing weight. I'm curious for those who were there thoughts on how the weigh outs worked?
I was there, and my kid made weight for weigh outs..and I still think it's a dumb thing to do...have them weigh out on Saturday or weigh in Sunday morning..then you wouldn't have forfeits in the placement round..no one wants to see forfeits in the finals
Old 03-19-18, 07:31 AM
Freshman

WrestlerDadX is on a distinguished road
Agree 100% - Solid idea in principle but should have weighed them in Sunday morning before wrestling. I also (my opinion) believe that forfeited spots due to missing weight should have been filled with wrestlers that made weight. Not sure how they'd do that but sends a message and rewards those that maintained their weight...
Old 03-19-18, 07:40 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Should be Saturday night or Sunday morning just like pretty much all HS and JH 2 day tournaments.

I know some kids were literally running straight from the weigh out to the mat or straight from the mat to weigh outs since they run weigh outs while still running a consolation round.

If you aren’t going to do it the “right” way (out Saturday or in Sunday) then take an hour break from wrestling completely and run the weigh outs.

It wasn’t just weigh outs this year either, there were PLENTY of kids that didn’t make weigh INS on Friday and OAC had to fill with alternates or forfeits.

Way more failed weights this year than years past on both weigh ins and weigh outs.

Regardless of the opinions of how OAC does it, eventually parents will stop being completely stupid about how much their 6/7/8 grader is cutting weight.
Old 03-19-18, 07:46 AM
All District

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post

Regardless of the opinions of how OAC does it, eventually parents will stop being completely stupid about how much their 6/7/8 grader is cutting weight.
Old 03-19-18, 08:20 AM
Freshman

sagoffin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
They should weigh in both Saturday and Sunday mornings. It doesn't make sense to let them wrestle 3-4 rounds on Sunday eliminating kids before finding out that they were eliminated from competition by someone that is DQ'd for not making weight.

If they are DQ'd for not making weight, the last person they beat should bump back into that bracket.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-18, 08:38 AM
Freshman

heartsslayer2 is on a distinguished road
My son was in line for weigh outs and hit the board while in line, I thought wrestling would stop for that hour. Weigh in on Friday and only giving 1lb allowance till Sunday, should be 2lbs in my opinion. Weighing out on either Saturday evening or Sunday morning makes more sense. Absolutely needed to stop tournament for weigh outs that was crazy at least in our situation. Oac runs an outstanding tournament just need some tweeks here and there.
Old 03-19-18, 08:49 AM
Varsity

Penguin is on a distinguished road
Both Heavyweights in our match had to run to the weigh in while on deck and run back to wrestle because WI were closing in 3 minutes - neither had placed yet ?
Old 03-19-18, 08:55 AM
Freshman

As for the forfeits due to not making weight, if OAC weighed out before placement round is wrestled that would almost eliminate having that issue. If a 7th grader was eliminated in that round by a kid that couldn't make weight that has a huge impact on their seeding the next year.
Old 03-19-18, 09:03 AM
Freshman

My son was in line for weigh outs and hit the board while in line, I thought wrestling would stop for that hour. Weigh in on Friday and only giving 1lb allowance till Sunday, should be 2lbs in my opinion. Weighing out on either Saturday evening or Sunday morning makes more sense. Absolutely needed to stop tournament for weigh outs that was crazy at least in our situation. Oac runs an outstanding tournament just need some tweeks here and there.
Old 03-19-18, 09:29 AM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
weighing Out is so absurd. These kids are so young it does not make sense. Let the highschool coaches prepare them for weigh outs when they matter a little more and need to make hard cuts every week. What does weighing out like this for one tournament solve or prepare anyone for anything? This sport requires a lifestyle sure, but to make a 13 year old comepete and weigh in like an 18 year old that’s when you gotta kinda stop and say, why are we doing this? To go even further why is their hydration in highschool and weigh out? Thought hydration was the end all to weight cutting kinda silly imo.
Old 03-19-18, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

dman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TimeFunk View Post
weighing Out is so absurd. These kids are so young it does not make sense. Let the highschool coaches prepare them for weigh outs when they matter a little more and need to make hard cuts every week. What does weighing out like this for one tournament solve or prepare anyone for anything? This sport requires a lifestyle sure, but to make a 13 year old comepete and weigh in like an 18 year old that’s when you gotta kinda stop and say, why are we doing this? To go even further why is their hydration in highschool and weigh out? Thought hydration was the end all to weight cutting kinda silly imo.
I couldn't agree more - it makes no sense the way they do it - the only reason I can think of is it makes it easier on them because it involves less kids weighing out. They don't need to go beyond what High School or even College does.
Old 03-19-18, 09:40 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I couldn't agree more - it makes no sense the way they do it - the only reason I can think of is it makes it easier on them because it involves less kids weighing out. They don't need to go beyond what High School or even College does.
Sadly, your probably spot on as well, less kids to have to weigh in, but turn around and ask how they can get more kids to the tournament or to wrestle period. Maybe one day we will stop shooting ourselves in the foot
Old 03-19-18, 09:41 AM
Freshman

kurly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post

What is your definition of cutting weight? My son's weight is generally between 79-83. Any given day it can fluctuate several pounds depending on his workouts, food intake and water intake (just like anyone). He was a pound under at Friday's weigh-in. He was more than a pound under during Sunday's weigh-outs. He was so worried about making weight he barely ate or drank anything and it showed in his matches. This is a kid who eats healthy, drinks healthy (water) and works hard to be the best wrestler he can be. He calculates what he weighs and what he can eat or drink, but he was just too worried about the weight; there was too much at stake. The wrestlers should be able to focus and concentrate on their matches and not on how much they can eat or drink. Also, he is not the kid who you see running for the candy after a match or eats a plate of loaded nachos washed down with a pop.
Old 03-19-18, 09:44 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post
What is your definition of cutting weight? My son's weight is generally between 79-83. Any given day it can fluctuate several pounds depending on his workouts, food intake and water intake (just like anyone). He was a pound under at Friday's weigh-in. He was more than a pound under during Sunday's weigh-outs. He was so worried about making weight he barely ate or drank anything and it showed in his matches. This is a kid who eats healthy, drinks healthy (water) and works hard to be the best wrestler he can be. He calculates what he weighs and what he can eat or drink, but he was just too worried about the weight; there was too much at stake. The wrestlers should be able to focus and concentrate on their matches and not on how much they can eat or drink. Also, he is not the kid who you see running for the candy after a match or eats a plate of loaded nachos washed down with a pop.
This too holy cow, how many kids didn’t wrestle their best because of this literal reason? He’s not wrong because I thought this same way in highschool at some tourneys. Wrestling is hard man, hardest thing their is. Stop making it harder end of story
Old 03-19-18, 09:46 AM
Freshman

kurly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This too holy cow, how many kids didn’t wrestle their best because of this literal reason? He’s not wrong because I thought this same way in highschool at some tourneys. Wrestling is hard man, hardest thing their is. Stop making it harder end of story
Old 03-19-18, 09:48 AM
Freshman

FBWrestlingDad is on a distinguished road
I don’t mind the weigh outs. Could have been timed a little better for the Conso kids though. I think it keeps the huge cutters from going so deep. Mine wrestled pretty close to his actual weight. Eats right weeks before and cuts a little. Made weigh outs easier for him. He hates to cut so we don’t push the envelope. It forces kids to wrestle a quarterfinal at weight. Wanna cut super hard, that’s fine. But they will have to wrestle a tougher match dehydrated and hungry. If mine could have weighed out Sat night, he could have dropped one, maybe two weight classes. It’s just not our thing though. Small cuts when needed and let them grow. He’s put on 55 lbs the last three years. He still wins his fair share.
Old 03-19-18, 09:49 AM
Freshman

Whatever1 is on a distinguished road
They even adjusted the tournament around the NCAA finals which really didn't allow the border line kids a chance enjoy Saturday night in front of the TV with their teammates.
Old 03-19-18, 09:57 AM
Freshman

I kinda thought they should have went another round on Saturday and start later on Sunday. That way they could have gotten more sleep. That hour or two would have been nice!
Old 03-19-18, 10:22 AM
Freshman

Weight cutting will never be stopped period no matter what they do. I would love to see them not do weigh outs either, every national tournament or dual my son has competed in has not had weigh out. I believe OAC is the only one. Growing the sport is a big deal another reason they adapted alternate uniforms. Concerns about not making weight were very high. Look at grade school Districts start in January and don't wrestle at State until March so if they hit a growth spurt that can be a huge problem. I would absolutely be on board with doing away with weigh outs, once the kids weigh in its have fun and wrestle and enjoy the weekend they worked so hard all year to get to, no worries about whether or not they can eat or drink for 2 days am way less stressful for parents also. Then that takes care of any forfeits too. Win win for everyone involved!!!
Old 03-19-18, 10:42 AM
Freshman

hawknest132 is on a distinguished road
If they want to do it, do it right. 1lb per day, and you weigh out Saturday night after your last match or sunday morning. You rarely will catch the more elite wrestler on a rule like this, they are good because they are disciplined and talented. The average kid is who will get screwed up and it will cost him. Like said before you will never stop cutting. Congratulations to all the wrestlers this past weekend.
Old 03-19-18, 11:48 AM
Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
I guess I don’t see the big deal about weigh outs. It could be because my son wrestled 114, weighed in on Friday at 113 and had he made the podium would have weighed out at 115. If “parents” would stop having little Johnny cut 10-15 lbs these kids wouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Old 03-19-18, 12:04 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArlie8 View Post
If “parents” would stop having little Johnny cut 10-15 lbs these kids wouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Bingo.
Old 03-19-18, 12:13 PM
All District

Is 10-15 pounds a real number for middle school kids?! That’s borderline child abuse lol wow. I thought we were arguing over 5 lbs here. I always cut a TON. Sometimes more than 10-15 pounds but I was a “man” when I did this and decided it on my own. No 12-14 year old child is willingly doing that. I personally above all this think that big gaps between weights will fix the majority of cutting(even as big of gaps as they do in Olympic styles) but Jesus please if your child is cutting this much weight to win get in contact with me or someone knowledgeable about it there’s way easier ways to win
Old 03-19-18, 12:29 PM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

STOP CUTTING WEIGHT - WRESTLE AT A WEIGHT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AT EVERY DAY.
If your kid missed weight, pick up a mirror and have at it!

There is a reason that the OAC weights are heavier than regular season weights. ie. 134 becomes 138, 142=146. JH kids are growing every day (if you feed them).

As for stopping the weight cutting: A few years back we were holding OAC weigh-ins at Moeller during a JH practice. Several kids that were there to weigh in put on their gear (sweats, coats, hats etc) and started running. I told them they were not allowed to cut weight during the weigh-ins and in the room. Their parents threw a fit. I asked them to leave. Yappi went crazy on me and Coach MacVeiegh.
If you simply enforce the OHSAA rules for weigh-ins, which we did, most of this crap will go away.
Old 03-19-18, 12:49 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Matside weigh in.
Old 03-19-18, 12:52 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_beast View Post
Matside weigh in.
In my younger days I was against this idea, but now I think it may be the way to go. Realistically it would probably need to be "bull pen weigh ins" due to number of scales and other logistics reasons, but there is no reason we couldn't do something in this realm.
Old 03-19-18, 12:59 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
I've read in a few replies that you will not stop weight cutting, but that is one of the main reasons the weigh outs were put in place. Wrestle at your walk around weight, save the weight cutting for High School when they are older, if that is how you want to approach it.
I've also seen where people are complaining about the timing, but isn't this the same as high school state? High School weighs out/in the second day before the evening session, when placements have already been established. So the same issue of someone missing weights could move someone directly into the finals or higher up the podium on the consol side.
I totally understand some kids hit growth spurts the weeks leading up to state and it becomes an issue. I've been on both sides...one year we went to a higher weight to give some room for growth and when he weighed in for state he weighed less than the weight class below his. Also had the growth spurt hit in Feb after districts and had to watch his weight the week of state. His 6th grade year, weighted 111 after football and I told him he was wrestling 120 all year...by the state he had grown into the weight and was 118 and won it that year. Granted weigh outs started after he was done with Jr High and he never had to deal with it.
Best piece of advice, wrestle the walk around weight, the kid will be happier, be able to train harder and not spend all practice trying to cut weight, rather drilling hard and maintaining conditioning...I believe the same for High School, but know dropping a few pounds at that level is not a hard thing to do for most.
Old 03-19-18, 12:59 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBWrestlingDad View Post
If mine could have weighed out Sat night, he could have dropped one, maybe two weight classes.
If your kid could drop two weight classes if they weighed out on Saturday night, he's got plenty to spare.
Old 03-19-18, 01:22 PM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is 10-15 pounds a real number for middle school kids?! That’s borderline child abuse lol wow. I thought we were arguing over 5 lbs here. I always cut a TON. Sometimes more than 10-15 pounds but I was a “man” when I did this and decided it on my own. No 12-14 year old child is willingly doing that. I personally above all this think that big gaps between weights will fix the majority of cutting(even as big of gaps as they do in Olympic styles) but Jesus please if your child is cutting this much weight to win get in contact with me or someone knowledgeable about it there’s way easier ways to win
LoL - parents on this very board have talked about their grade school kids who are cutting 10-15 pounds and it "being the kid who wants to do it." It is child abuse - plain and simple.