Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-08-17, 05:58 PM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
It's still early but I have heard one of visi good players might be going to X and that LaSalle is hard after another one. I also heard that LaSalle is after the kid now playing for Victory. My guess is that most will go to Elder
LS hasn't approached the Victory kid... Yet. Right now, he's all Elder. And both the staff at OLV and Elder are well aware LS is lurking, ready to poach this kid.

Last edited by Descartes; 08-08-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 07:10 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
LS hasn't approached the Victory kid... Yet. Right now, he's all Elder. And both the staff at OLV and Elder are well aware LS is lurking, ready to poach this kid.
I think the kid played on the Panthers AAU basketball team. I'm pretty sure he is going to Elder
Old 08-09-17, 07:23 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
I think the kid played on the Panthers AAU basketball team. I'm pretty sure he is going to Elder
Yes, he's all Elder for now. However, that won't stop LS from offering him what they offered the Lourdes kid.
Old 08-09-17, 08:38 AM
Moderated User

I'd also add, the best athlete at Taylor/3 Rivers is leaning towards Elder. However, I've heard he's more of a baseball player.
Old 08-09-17, 08:40 AM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, he's all Elder for now. However, that won't stop LS from offering him what they offered the Lourdes kid.
Put yourself in the kid's families shoes...LaSalle offers significant financial aid, and he's likely going to end up there. Eventually, Elder has to do something, right?

Who's going to pass up that kind of aid when tuition is so damn high?

Last edited by trey2k; 08-09-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
If everyone knows he's Elder right now, and everyone knows LaSalle is coming after him, this situation needs to be watched like a hawk. Any funny business needs to be reported to the OHSAA.

Elder offering vouchers will definitely help close the gap on the poaching of Price Hill kids by LaSalle, but trey is right. If they're offering that much money and playing time, it's tough to compete with that. Eventually all this is going to bite LaSalle in rear. You can run at a deficit and continue to throw money at kids for athletics.
Old 08-09-17, 09:12 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
If everyone knows he's Elder right now, and everyone knows LaSalle is coming after him, this situation needs to be watched like a hawk. Any funny business needs to be reported to the OHSAA.

Elder offering vouchers will definitely help close the gap on the poaching of Price Hill kids by LaSalle, but trey is right. If they're offering that much money and playing time, it's tough to compete with that. Eventually all this is going to bite LaSalle in rear. You can run at a deficit and continue to throw money at kids for athletics.
It is being closely watched. Again, the kid is very high on Elder, so it might not just be amount $, especially with vouchers being offered.

Elder does their due diligence on all the kids LS tries to poach, and they will do everything in their power to keep this kid.
Old 08-09-17, 09:18 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Put yourself in the kid's families shoes...LaSalle offers significant financial aid, and he's likely going to end up there. Eventually, Elder has to do something, right?

Who's going to pass up that kind of aid when tuition is so damn high?
Elder's not going to throw $ at him just bc he's an athlete, it's not going to happen. Now, I don't know the family's finances, but Elder will offer generous aid if it's based on need, add in vouchers and that should even the $ situation out. However, they're not going to guarantee anyone a spot on Varsity. You should understand better than anyone, since it's been one of your core arguments, there's no guarantee a kid develops from stud grade school athlete to stud HS athlete.
Old 08-09-17, 09:22 AM
All American

I have ZERO problem with them not guaranteeing playing time. That has to be earned.

In fact, I wouldn't want kids that rely on that either. I want kids that WANT to compete for roles.
Old 08-09-17, 05:10 PM
Moderated User

I guess we should be glad he's even considering Elder, since according to that giz bucket Don Magic Ron, the entire black population of Cincy thinks Elder is racist.
Old 08-10-17, 08:49 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
Its a tough decision for the visi and vistory kid (I'm sure more)that we have heard about. Easy to say you will probably go to Elder until the actual time to write a check comes and the difference could be as much as 10,000 a year. $40,000 over 4 years is a nice chunk of money
Old 08-10-17, 10:17 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
Its a tough decision for the visi and vistory kid (I'm sure more)that we have heard about. Easy to say you will probably go to Elder until the actual time to write a check comes and the difference could be as much as 10,000 a year. $40,000 over 4 years is a nice chunk of money
Elder offers vouchers now, that should help. Id even by happy to chip in... Within reason.
Old 08-11-17, 05:55 AM
Freshman

Elder/Bucksfan is on a distinguished road
Re Teams. I think Visi is at least 14 points better than everyone on there schedule! However. It will be interesting to see how things play out there. The O-line is a definite weak spot and prob the best lineman in the league was allowed to move to Tight End! Looks like there playing at least 7 if not 8 guys two ways and there putting alot of stock in a new kid they have brought in. None of that is bad at all its just uncharacteristically interesting moves. I so wish teams from this league would schedule some games with public school team's. Not only would it be interesting to see how they match up. I think in would benefit them so much for the next level. Let's face it! X and Moe and LaSalle all get there fair share of kids from public schools and because Kids from Elders main feeder schools never play that kind of speed and talent is a difficult transition when the face it at the next level. Oh well! Going to be a fun interesting season regardless! Go Vikes!!!!!!
Old 08-11-17, 06:16 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
Isn't the TE in 7/8th grade football basically another lineman?? Some would argue that if you plan to run off tackle and outside the TE might be one of the most blockers you have. It depends on how they plan on running their offense
Old 08-11-17, 07:30 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder/Bucksfan View Post
Re Teams. I think Visi is at least 14 points better than everyone on there schedule! However. It will be interesting to see how things play out there. The O-line is a definite weak spot and prob the best lineman in the league was allowed to move to Tight End! Looks like there playing at least 7 if not 8 guys two ways and there putting alot of stock in a new kid they have brought in. None of that is bad at all its just uncharacteristically interesting moves. I so wish teams from this league would schedule some games with public school team's. Not only would it be interesting to see how they match up. I think in would benefit them so much for the next level. Let's face it! X and Moe and LaSalle all get there fair share of kids from public schools and because Kids from Elders main feeder schools never play that kind of speed and talent is a difficult transition when the face it at the next level. Oh well! Going to be a fun interesting season regardless! Go Vikes!!!!!!
No, not "oh well." Elder needs to try to get more non feeders for that reason. Nobody gives a sh1t about Grade School titles.

Your attitude makes me sick. Seriously, leave this forum.
Old 08-11-17, 07:58 AM
Freshman

Why they hate? The Oh well attitude comes simply from the fact that I am not a person who can do anything about it. Just sharing my perspective! For example I think they 170 pound weight limit does not help in that league as well. Again just my perspective! Sorry to offend or ruffle your feathers!
Old 08-11-17, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

Unless some of these teams go out and play the Masons or Lakotas playing against the public schools won't do them any good. The GCYL league is better than the majority of the public school leagues in the city. And Visitation is better than the majority of the teams for any league.
Old 08-11-17, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

Also the weight limit is being worked on this year from what I'm told. 170 is the limit for skill positions and those carrying the football, but 175 is the limit for non-end of line of scrimmage linemen. The kicker is only two players of that weight can be on the field at the same time on offense and they cannot be on the same side of the ball. Only one permitted at a time on defense. Small change but with the right intentions, if it works out they may be able to build off this and go even higher for the OL/DL weight limit.
Old 08-11-17, 08:44 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Why they hate? The Oh well attitude comes simply from the fact that I am not a person who can do anything about it. Just sharing my perspective! For example I think they 170 pound weight limit does not help in that league as well. Again just my perspective! Sorry to offend or ruffle your feathers!
You illustrated why Elder needs to find talent outside the feeder. Who cares if Visi wins all of these titles but Elder is mediocre by the time they reach Varsity?
Old 08-11-17, 08:49 AM
Freshman

Good to hear on the weight limit changes! There is a program called the Hilltop Hawks in Mt Airy. They have a 190 pound limit and they send alot of there kids between Colerain, LaSalle, and X! In fact both of Moe's Starting Corners come from Hilltop! Its a football factory thats sadly garnering national attention! I was told they have pursued a game with Visi on a couple different occasions with no luck. They know of the Visi reputation and they wanted to play them. Not saying Visi would beat them but I would have loved to seen last years Visi team take on that challenge! Just saying it would be good to see because playing better talent then you face in your league only helps down the road when they get to Elder and play against some of that talent!
Old 08-11-17, 08:54 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Good to hear on the weight limit changes! There is a program called the Hilltop Hawks in Mt Airy. They have a 190 pound limit and they send alot of there kids between Colerain, LaSalle, and X! In fact both of Moe's Starting Corners come from Hilltop! Its a football factory thats sadly garnering national attention! I was told they have pursued a game with Visi on a couple different occasions with no luck. They know of the Visi reputation and they wanted to play them. Not saying Visi would beat them but I would have loved to seen last years Visi team take on that challenge! Just saying it would be good to see because playing better talent then you face in your league only helps down the road when they get to Elder and play against some of that talent!
Elder needs to work on getting kids from that team. If rather have the best 10 players from that team than the best 10 from Visi.
Old 08-11-17, 09:03 AM
Freshman

Descartes! I totally agree with that! That's why I think it is crazy to talk about how good a kid in Junior high is going to make Elder because we have yet to see how a great Junior high team or players have benefited Elder by the time they get up there!
Old 08-11-17, 09:07 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Descartes! I totally agree with that! That's why I think it is crazy to talk about how good a kid in Junior high is going to make Elder because we have yet to see how a great Junior high team or players have benefited Elder by the time they get up there!
Elder needs to find a way to get their foot in the door with this program and the one in NCH. The WAC will always be the foundation, but they need 2-3 true athletes to make a real difference.
Old 08-11-17, 11:02 AM
Freshman

Westsidepublic is on a distinguished road
What a ignorant statement, every Elder guy I know was beating their chest about the preseason game last night with 3 Elder Grads playing. Just so happened they all three went to Visi also. How many from the Hilltop Hawks were playing last night? Hope the top 10 kids from Visi go somewhere else just to prove you wrong.
Old 08-11-17, 11:07 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidepublic View Post
What a ignorant statement, every Elder guy I know was beating their chest about the preseason game last night with 3 Elder Grads playing. Just so happened they all three went to Visi also. How many from the Hilltop Hawks were playing last night? Hope the top 10 kids from Visi go somewhere else just to prove you wrong.
It's s nice accomplishment, but doesn't mean anything now.
Old 08-11-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidepublic View Post
How about three kids from Visi all playing in the same NFL preseason game...that's special.

The overall point is Elder cant match the GCL/Colerain with just feeder school talent. They need students from the west-side neighborhoods and non-traditional schools to take them to the next level.
Old 08-11-17, 11:27 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
How about three kids from Visi all playing in the same NFL preseason game...that's special.

The overall point is Elder cant match the GCL/Colerain with just feeder school talent. They need students from the west-side neighborhoods and non-traditional schools to take them to the next level.
Don't get me wrong, they still need the feeder's as a base. But just a handful of outside talent would be a huge help. There's almost zero speed in the back 7 of the Defense and it's been a crutch for Elder for a long time... even on some of their better teams.
Old 08-11-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Its not just the back seven. As mentioned last year, I remember ONE play the entire season when an Elder player outran the defense for a TD. However, the opposite seemed to happen often against them. Elder works so hard to get the ball downfield and a team with speed simply makes a man miss or gets a step on the Elder D and he is gone.

Speed is absolutely the #1 issue with this program and has been for awhile.
Old 08-11-17, 11:52 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Its not just the back seven. As mentioned last year, I remember ONE play the entire season when an Elder player outran the defense for a TD. However, the opposite seemed to happen often against them. Elder works so hard to get the ball downfield and a team with speed simply makes a man miss or gets a step on the Elder D and he is gone.

Speed is absolutely the #1 issue with this program and has been for awhile.
Aside from last year and back in '11, Elder's never had trouble scoring points. The Offense is a sophisticated as it gets at the HS level. I'm just being realistic, they're never going to have more than a handful of athletes on one team, and they need to plug them in the back 7. Just one LB who can cover the field from sideline to sideline, a lockdown Corner, and a FS who can hit like a train and cover the back end, would be gigantic.
Old 08-11-17, 12:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Aside from last year and back in '11, Elder's never had trouble scoring points. The Offense is a sophisticated as it gets at the HS level. I'm just being realistic, they're never going to have more than a handful of athletes on one team, and they need to plug them in the back 7. Just one LB who can cover the field from sideline to sideline, a lockdown Corner, and a FS who can hit like a train and cover the back end, would be gigantic.
I very much agree with this. Consistently moving most of the talent to offense has likely caused this.

But I agree wholeheartedly that if you had to pinpoint one consistent area of need, it's the defensive secondary.