Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-01-17, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Curry re-signs for 5 years for $40+ million per year and isn't even the best player on his own team. Largest contract in the history of any sport and he's barely the 2nd best on his team. Unreal. If Curry is worth $40M per year, then Durant is worth $100M per year.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-17, 02:08 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
If you look at expected wins added and merchandise sales, and assign an economic value to those things, Curry is actually underpaid(as are most superstars.) He's worth closer to $60 mil/year.

The perils of a union. Guys like Lebron are drastically underpaid while guys like Jrue Holliday get $25 million/year.
Old 07-01-17, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
If you look at expected wins added and merchandise sales, and assign an economic value to those things, Curry is actually underpaid(as are most superstars.) He's worth closer to $60 mil/year.

The perils of a union. Guys like Lebron are drastically underpaid while guys like Jrue Holliday get $25 million/year.
Yes, I'd say LeBron has some economic impact on the Cavaliers franchise. Much more than Curry does in Cali. Again, Durant is the face of the GSW now, not Steph Curry.
Old 07-01-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Steph made the Warriors relevant again. I'd say being the best player and main attraction to get Durant has some economic value. Nothing wrong with a top-5 player getting the largest contract in history when the top-2 guys in the game re-up yearly to maximize their pay. Even less so considering he's been far and away the most underpaid player the last few years.
Old 07-01-17, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

Interesting fact: I just saw that Lacob bought the Warriors for $450 million in 2010. The franchise is now worth $2.6 billion. That's by and large due to the rise of Curry and his marketability.

LBJ has ripped on contract caps and has stated Curry should be getting $400 million.
Old 07-01-17, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Interesting fact: I just saw that Lacob bought the Warriors for $450 million in 2010. The franchise is now worth $2.6 billion. That's by and large due to the rise of Curry and his marketability.
There's no question.
Old 07-01-17, 02:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Again, Durant is the face of the GSW now, not Steph Curry.
Curry is still the best selling jersey in the NBA so I'm not sure that's true. Durant is certainly their best player. However, they still aren't champions without Curry.
Old 07-01-17, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Curry re-signs for 5 years for $40+ million per year and isn't even the best player on his own team. Largest contract in the history of any sport and he's barely the 2nd best on his team. Unreal. If Curry is worth $40M per year, then Durant is worth $100M per year.
To who? Draymond? I still don't get the hate for Curry. Cavs fans get all whiny about people hating on LeBron, but many do the same thing to Curry. I guess back-to-back MVPs and being on the best team in the league with 2 out the last 3 championships will do that.

Curry's last deal was a steal, this new deal is as much of a correction of his prior deal than anything. If anyone deserves that contract on the Warriors, outside of Durant, it's him.
Old 07-01-17, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, I'd say LeBron has some economic impact on the Cavaliers franchise. Much more than Curry does in Cali. Again, Durant is the face of the GSW now, not Steph Curry.
Sure now. But who's been the face the past 4 years prior to Durant's arrival? And Curry hasn't done anything for the GS franchise?

You're out of your mind dude. Least you hang your hat on Cavs in 6 right?
Old 07-01-17, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Madge and Weirdo simply just hate Curry. It's hilarious.
I don't hate Curry. I'm discussing numbers. Let's take the names out. NBA player "A" signs the largest contract in history. In any sport. EVER. Yet that player isn't even the best player on his own team. It's like Kyrie signing a $200M contract while LeBron makes $20M. It's just bad for the game. If Curry has set the new precedent for pay, what do you think is going to happen when players worth more than him go to sign?
Old 07-01-17, 04:47 PM
All American

Quote:
If Curry has set the new precedent for pay, what do you think is going to happen when players worth more than him go to sign?
Do you know how NBA salaries work?
Old 07-01-17, 05:07 PM
All Yappi

Those kinds of inconsistencies happen all the time with sports contracts. Often times the best player isn't the highest paid. But to act like Curry is that far removed from being the best player on GS, is just an ignorant statement or one made because you dislike the guy. I don't really expect you to come clean though.
Old 07-01-17, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

Btw, just read the following:

Quote:
The Golden State Warriors will offer free-agent guard Andre Iguodala a three-year deal in the range of $13-15 million a year, according to a report from The Mercury News.
Old 07-01-17, 06:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't hate Curry. I'm discussing numbers. Let's take the names out. NBA player "A" signs the largest contract in history. In any sport. EVER. Yet that player isn't even the best player on his own team. It's like Kyrie signing a $200M contract while LeBron makes $20M. It's just bad for the game. If Curry has set the new precedent for pay, what do you think is going to happen when players worth more than him go to sign?
Going into this last season, just about every semi-credible sports media source rated him the third best player in the NBA with Durant second and LeBron first. It's an incredibly short list of guys that are worth more than him. Maybe Westbrook is above him after this year. IMO, those are easily the four most talented and marketable stars in the game. The 3rd-4th best guy in a league with an exploding growth in salary getting a huge payday isn't setting some problematic precedent, especially when the top two guys are effectively signing yearly deals to maximize their earnings. This is an awful argument.

The Durant-less Warriors lead by Curry had the best regular season record ever. EVER. Back-to-back MVPs, and if Draymond doesn't go full derp, probably back-to-back titles. I don't even want to think how about how far the Cavs would fall minus LeBron with Irving being the main guy.
Old 07-01-17, 08:30 PM
All Ohio

JediMaster is on a distinguished road
Cavs finally making a splash this offseason; who's their first big get???? 35 year old Jose Calderon.....
Old 07-01-17, 09:30 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Reddick 23 million. Sixers
Old 07-01-17, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Curry gets paid: $201 million over 5 years

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...ars/ar-BBDvAKd
And the end of the "superteam" has begun.
Old 07-01-17, 10:40 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
You are correct, I thought the same thing. He was underpaid before, but now he's way overpaid, and the reason the Warriors are so good is they can sign so many players to mid level contracts.

As I've always said, how much money do you actually need??
Old 07-01-17, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There's no question.
Can there be any doubt ?
Old 07-01-17, 10:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
You are correct, I thought the same thing. He was underpaid before, but now he's way overpaid, and the reason the Warriors are so good is they can sign so many players to mid level contracts.

As I've always said, how much money do you actually need??
Do you guys know how the cap works? You can go over to sign your own guys. Case in point, they've already resigned Iguodala, Livingston and West. They'll soon resign KD. Curry's contract does nothing to prevent the core of this team sticking together. It just means Lacob will have to pay the luxury tax, which he'll of course continue to do.

Being over the cap handcuffs a team that needs to bring in outside talent. Which is why the Cavs are in the position they are. But for a team like the Warriors who just need to keep their core together, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Neopolitan; 07-01-17 at 11:49 PM..
Old 07-02-17, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Can there be any doubt ?
That you were wrong he'd get paid? Nope.
Old 07-02-17, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not really.
Old 07-02-17, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That you were wrong he'd get paid? Nope.
I have no idea what "e_p pretend opinion" you are pretending that I held, but can there be any doubt that you are deflecting ?
Old 07-02-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

I was talking about this dumb post of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
GS did well to rent Durant at $26.5 million/yr. They realized that they had been "figured out". Curry is paid about right, for a second option. Little raise coming.
Old 07-02-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

"Little raise.." was obviously sarcasm. Kyrie did say in an interview that they had "figured them (GS) out" right before the Cavs took the last 3 games in the '16 Finals Durant was for one year. All pretty simple.

Do you deny that your "Greatest player in the NBA" is now the second option on his team ?

There could be no doubt that you were sincere, _poser.
Old 07-02-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

There is no doubt that wasn't sarcasm on your part given the context. Curry was the MVP that year, so there was little doubt. As for him being the second option, that's fine. He's still a top-5 player in the league. And he and KD mesh extremely well together.
Old 07-02-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

Derrick Rose was a modern-day NBA MVP. You must think that "there (could) be no doubt" that he was the greatest player in the NBA that year

Or I guess now it's "little doubt"

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 07-02-17 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Or....
Old 07-02-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

It's surprising how many morons are still on the "hate Dan Gilbert" bandwagon post-Griffin when so little knowledge of what actually transpired is available - especially when viable player moves are even more scarce. All it takes is a few blowhards on the radio picking up a blame narrative and the dimwits jump on board.

One of the worst things about Cleveland sports (maybe second only to the Browns' draft history in the first 15 years of their return) is the second and third tier media idiots that are left behind here after young talent is cherry-picked for bigger markets or lands here after they fail in the big markets. Their desperate search for relevance, callers, or web clicks forwards so much bile out to frustrated dimwits that it's sickening.
Old 07-02-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

I never cease to be amazed at how pity and insecure some Cavs fans are about Curry.

Already looking forward to NBArank, SI, etc. notching him as the third best player going into the upcoming year and getting to hear some of you continue to act like he's light years behind Durant and barely better than Thompson and Green.
Old 07-02-17, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

It never ceases to amaze me how the petty jealousy of residents of a non-NBA city will cause them to obsessively troll the fans of some NBA cities. Can't they just be bandwagon, front-running, champ-humpers quietly ?