Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-12-17, 05:47 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarity View Post
I think you are wrong about this. I am about 99% sure the kid did go to school at FR and wrestled at Coldwater. I will confirm it tomorrow with his dad. Because FR doesn't offer wrestling he was allowed to compete for Coldwater.
My understanding was that because FR did not have wrestling, CW coach allowed him to practice with their team, but that he wrestled for FR.
Old 07-12-17, 08:18 AM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Spread pick plays are fun to watch in the red zone if ran perfect. So rare in high school
Coldwater definitely has the Pick plays on their short pass routes
Old 07-12-17, 08:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
My understanding was that because FR did not have wrestling, CW coach allowed him to practice with their team, but that he wrestled for FR.
I can see that being allowed...pretty cool to let the FORTS boy do that
Old 07-12-17, 04:47 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Division 5: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/lt4R6DE...nd-preview.htm

Interesting that there's no mention of Versailles anywhere
Old 07-12-17, 06:32 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Division 5: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/lt4R6DE...nd-preview.htm

Interesting that there's no mention of Versailles anywhere
Why should their be ? Versailles football other than a couple of decent years under Olwin has not been relevant since Hetrich retired.
Old 07-12-17, 07:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Why should their be ? Versailles football other than a couple of decent years under Olwin has not been relevant since Hetrich retired.
Well someone earlier in this thread was telling me not to over look them and that they could make the playoffs. I have never been sold on Versailles under Adam Miller.

CJK84:"^^^ Don't forget the other D-V school ... Versailles should be at least fairly strong and could also earn a playoff spot.

Come week 11, I hope the MAC is well represented in all three divisions."

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 07-12-17 at 07:09 PM. Reason: found the quote
Old 07-13-17, 10:30 AM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
There should be little, if any, concern in Coldwater about the Cav qb. It's not a big deal that at the jv level Broering apparently threw a lot of picks.

At the varsity level, he and his receivers will get far, far more reps (and far more attention from the staff) in practice and the passing game will develop accordingly.

When is the last time Coldwater had a qb who wasn't a consistently skilled passer and playmaker? It was probably back in the 90s.

Coldwater always develops a great quarterback - and this year will almost certainly be no different. Somehow, season after season the Cavs are able to run the spread better than nearly every other school in Ohio, and their qb is of course a big part of that.

*** I believe I will be proven correct on this new Coldwater qb, but I privately hope his week 3 stats aren't so good!!

Last edited by CJK84; 07-13-17 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 01:33 PM
Varsity

clarity is on a distinguished road
Stand Corrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
I can see that being allowed...pretty cool to let the FORTS boy do that
StripedWarrior was correct. He was able to practice with Coldwater's team but wrestled for the FORT. Give Coldwater props for letting this happen.
Old 07-13-17, 03:34 PM
All District

^^^ How could he wrestle for the Fort when FR's never had a wrestling team?
Old 07-13-17, 03:35 PM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Here is the thing though.......do you really want to change the scheme just because you get into the red zone? Go to the I and you take away our "favorite"and very effective pass play....

Imthink the spread, forcing the defense to also spread out the defense.....go to the I and then you also go at least one TE which leaves just 2 WR, and in turn more guys in the ox to defend the run. If there was one flawmin coach Reed offense was the inability to run the ball from the RB, or WR, position and I think much of it was scheme with the offset I out of the Cav gun and a TE. It telegraphed intentions and also put more in the box

Dance with whom you take to the dance, and her name is still the spread offense.
Agreed. I don't know if we ever really had the horses up front to pound the ball with a RB, especially against those Youngstown or Hartley teams.
Old 07-13-17, 06:16 PM
All Ohio

The line is probably what also made Coach Reed's wishbone package fail as well.
Old 07-14-17, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
The line is probably what also made Coach Reed's wishbone package fail as well.
In my not so expert opinion blocking for the spread and the bone is two totally different styles. But yeah, adding the bone in was the good idea fairy in full effect
Old 07-14-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
But back to 2017....I see it being the most disappointing one for the league in quite a long time.
Old 07-14-17, 05:19 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
In the summer of '14, someone scared me by saying that Marion Local would be "down" that year...in fact, the whole MAC was down...and probably would send no one to the finals that year. I really worried about that. We all know what happened THAT year, huh? Then last year, ML lost so many players that I heard those voices again--well, there shouldn't be any "expectations" for that year, because ML was "gutted" (I'm using the words they used), and they would be lucky to make the playoffs. The rest of the MAC "didn't look good" either. AND what happened??? Yeah. Not fallin' for it again, dood.
Old 07-14-17, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
^^^ How could he wrestle for the Fort when FR's never had a wrestling team?
I assume he wrestled with Coldwater but scored for Fort Recovery (not Coldwater) Obviously being the only wrestler from Ft. Recovery they could not win but he could individually....
Old 07-18-17, 04:05 PM
All District

I'm looking forward to the ML vs. Wapak 7-on-7 passing scrimmage tomorrow (Wed) evening.

I know it's not real 11-man football, but it's still enjoyable watching the qb's throw the ball all over the field.

Last edited by CJK84; 07-18-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 04:56 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the ML-Wapak 7-on-7 passing scrimmage tomorrow (Wed) evening.

I know it's not real 11-man football, but it's still enjoyable watching the qb's throw the ball all over the field.
Cats go against St Marys tonight
Old 07-18-17, 05:47 PM
All Ohio

Coldwater recently participated in the University of Dayton 7 on 7. Not certain on the results. Teams included Huber Heights Wayne, Miamisburg, Coldwater, Dayton Dunbar, Greenville, and Indian Lake
Old 07-18-17, 09:44 PM
All American

I know Anna went against CJ and some other teams on Monday..in 7 on 7
Old 07-18-17, 10:54 PM
All Region

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Minster took on St. Marys in their 7 on 7 tonight while DSJ did the same at Spencerville.

Coldwater host SM on Saturday.
Old 07-19-17, 08:33 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
How did the various teams look in their 7 on 7's last night?
Old 07-19-17, 11:06 AM
All Region

a_td is on a distinguished road
Anna @ Sidney tonight
Old 07-19-17, 11:38 AM
All District

yendis
Time of Anna @ Sidney?
Old 07-19-17, 09:47 PM
All District

In a 7-on-7 in Maria Stein, Marion struggled at times against an apparently very good Wapak squad.

Flyer qb Bruns appears to have gotten even taller and certainly has a strong arm - impressively strong.
Shotgun snaps were not consistent - I'm really not sure, but it seems like the center must work on mechanics (hard skill to learn I realize).
Flyer receivers made some great catches at times - I think tailback Matt Rethman will be a serious receiving threat coming out of the backfield.

Wapak's southpaw qb throws a nice deep ball - torched ML at least 3 times over the top with receivers fairly easily getting behind Flyer db's and reeling in the excellent passes.

Some of Marion's struggles may have been due to their liberal substituting - lots of players going in and out all evening.

Last edited by CJK84; 07-20-17 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 04:14 PM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
What time is Coldwater/St. Marys scrimmage on Saturday?
Old 07-20-17, 04:26 PM
All American

Quote:
In a 7-on-7 in Maria Stein, Marion struggled at times against an apparently very good Wapak squad.

Flyer qb Bruns appears to have gotten even taller and certainly has a strong arm - impressively strong.
Shotgun snaps were not consistent - I'm really not sure, but it seems like the center must work on mechanics (hard skill to learn I realize).
Flyer receivers made some great catches at times - I think tailback Matt Rethman will be a serious receiving threat coming out of the backfield.

Wapak's southpaw qb throws a nice deep ball - torched ML at least 3 times over the top with receivers fairly easily getting behind Flyer db's and reeling in the excellent passes.

Some of Marion's struggles may have been due to their liberal substituting - lots of players going in and out all evening.
that's what 7 on 7 is all about,,,lots of substituting going on.......
Old 07-20-17, 07:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
that's what 7 on 7 is all about,,,lots of substituting going on.......
Never been to a 7 on 7 but in ML scrimmages the Flyers substitute liberally, also use plays and players that you rarely see in the regular season. That is why I put very little stock in scrimmages or 7 on 7' s as far as the results go.
Old 07-20-17, 07:53 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Never been to a 7 on 7 but in ML scrimmages the Flyers substitute liberally, also use plays and players that you rarely see in the regular season. That is why I put very little stock in scrimmages or 7 on 7' s as far as the results go.
You describe most scrimmages. I always have to grin a little when fans talk about "winning" a scrimmage.
Old 07-20-17, 08:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
You describe most scrimmages. I always have to grin a little when fans talk about "winning" a scrimmage.
the only thing that I care about scrimmages, is that they compete......and stay injury free.....
Old 07-21-17, 06:39 AM
All American

Quote:

Thanks for the update hopefully Bruns stays healthy. Believe he has the ability to be one of ML's best QB's ever.