Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-12-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2017 Southwestern Conference (NEO)

Anyone who wants to take a stab at predictions for the 2017 SWC football season, have at it. I will do so, eventually. For now, however, I want to get some thoughts regarding the league structure itself, since the expansion to ten schools. This will be third year of the alignment, and the third year of round-robin football schedule, with league games played from Weeks 2-10, and only Week 1 for non-league games.

As for the round-robin, there are some pluses -- ease of scheduling, ease of travel, the development and strengthening of rivalries, fan interest, increased local media coverage. Additionally, there seems to be enough (so far) Harbin's baked into the schedule to qualify half the teams (five) for the playoffs each season.

As for the minuses? To me, the lack of outside competition doesn't adequately prepare the teams for the playoffs, and I believe it leads to a false sense of self among the teams and coaches. The overall record, considering they put ten teams into the playoffs the last two seasons, is not good. No teams won a region, even with FIVE of the eight R2/D6 playoff teams coming from the SWC in 2016. Additionally, you get into the predicament of facing the same teams in the playoffs, and we all know the cliches about beating the same team twice. Avon and Midview both found that out last season.

What can be done? I'm told they are contemplating creating a second non-league game, and only facing eight of the nine possible foes each season. I don't care for that, quite frankly. If you are going to stay at ten, you might as well keep the round-robin. A team, or teams, leaving the league would obviously create more non-league games, but nobody seems eager to leave this SWC. The other option is to expand to 12 and split into two 6 team divisions with two crossover games for a traditional seven game league slate and Weeks 1-3 being non-league games. Such an arrangement could lead to even more than half the league qualifying for the playoffs each year with all the outside Harbin's involved. The downside is no true league champ, but just division champs or co-champs.

This is the current SWC:

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Berea-Midpark
Lakewood
Midview
North Olmsted
North Ridgeville
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-17, 04:11 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Random thoughts...
I think a 7 game league schedule would be better, even with 10 teams in league
Not to long ago there was an obvious #1 each season. 2017 is more difficult to predict.
I think Avon using their 1 non-league game to head to Florida is interesting. I wonder if trips down there will become more common...
I always root for Shoremen first. I've lived in Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Grafton and now Avon so I can claim a lot of hometown teams.
Old 05-13-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Random thoughts...
Not to long ago there was an obvious #1 each season. 2017 is more difficult to predict.
I think Avon using their 1 non-league game to head to Florida is interesting. I wonder if trips down there will become more common...
I always root for Shoremen first. I've lived in Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Grafton and now Avon so I can claim a lot of hometown teams.
Avon was a year ahead of schedule last season and still went 10-0, before the disastrous...but highly motivating...playoff loss to Avon Lake. They will again finish 10-0, or 9-1, depending on the result of the game versus Merritt Island (FL). They are better equipped to avoid any upsets and make a true playoff run this season.
Old 05-13-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

As for the SWC, I would favor this set up:

Cuyahoga Division

Bedford
Berea-Midpark
Lakewood
North Olmsted
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

Lorain Division

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Elyria
Midview
North Ridgeville

Have pairs with a dedicated Week 10 rivalry: Bedford/Westlake, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls, Amherst/Elyria, Avon/Avon Lake, Midview/North Ridgeville.

*** You have non-league games in Week 1-3.

*** Cross-over games in Week 4 and 5. For example:

Year 1 and 2 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Amherst/Elyria, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Avon/Avon Lake, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville

Year 3 and 4 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Amherst/Elyria, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Avon/Avon Lake

Year 5 and 6 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Avon/Avon Lake, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Amherst/Elyria

*** Intra-Division games in Week 6-10, with Week 10 being the dedicated rival week.

For example, Avon's schedule might look like this in a two year cycle:

Year 1

Non-League
@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Berea-Midpark (SWC cross-over)
Lakewood (SWC cross-over)
@ Midview (SWC division)
Amherst (SWC division)
@ North Ridgeville (SWC division)
Elyria (SWC division)
@ Avon Lake (SWC division rivalry)

Year 2

@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Non-League
Berea-Midpark (SWC cross-over)
@ Lakewood (SWC cross-over)
Midview (SWC division)
@ Amherst (SWC division)
North Ridgeville (SWC division)
@ Elyria (SWC division)
Avon Lake (SWC division rivalry)

I think this model would be the best set-up to maximize the chances of multiple SWC teams in the playoffs, and with a lot less chance of facing another SWC team in the playoffs, and a better sense of how your team measures outside of the SWC.

I only chose Bedford and Elyria because both applied to the SWC in the recent past.
Old 05-14-17, 12:47 PM
Go Black and Gold!

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post

Cuyahoga Division

Bedford
Berea-Midpark
Lakewood
North Olmsted
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

Lorain Division

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Elyria
Midview
North Ridgeville

Have pairs with a dedicated Week 10 rivalry: Bedford/Westlake, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls, Amherst/Elyria, Avon/Avon Lake, Midview/North Ridgeville.

Year 1 and 2 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Amherst/Elyria, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Avon/Avon Lake, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville

Year 3 and 4 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Amherst/Elyria, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Avon/Avon Lake

Year 5 and 6 -- Bedford/Westlake home and home with Avon/Avon Lake, Berea-Midpark/Lakewood home and home with Midview/North Ridgeville, North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls home and home with Amherst/Elyria

*** Intra-Division games in Week 6-10, with Week 10 being the dedicated rival week.

Year 1

Non-League
@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Midview (SWC division)
Amherst (SWC division)
Elyria (SWC division)

Year 2

@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Non-League
Midview (SWC division)
@ Amherst (SWC division)
@ Elyria (SWC division)

I think this model would be the best set-up to maximize the chances of multiple SWC teams in the playoffs, and with a lot less chance of facing another SWC team in the playoffs, and a better sense of how your team measures outside of the SWC.

I only chose Bedford and Elyria because both applied to the SWC in the recent past.
Would Garfield Heights, currently independent, be a more realistic addition?
Old 05-14-17, 02:03 PM
All Ohio

PGEMF is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Cuyahoga Division

Bedford
Berea-Midpark
Lakewood
North Olmsted
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

Lorain Division

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Elyria
Midview
North Ridgeville

Year 1

Non-League
@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Midview (SWC division)
Amherst (SWC division)
Elyria (SWC division)

Year 2

@ Non-League
Non-League
@ Non-League
Midview (SWC division)
@ Amherst (SWC division)
@ Elyria (SWC division)

I wonder if you would see a bigger expansion if/when the Parma schools consolidate to make an all west side league

Big

Berea/Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma
Strongsville

Small

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Midview
North Olmsted
North Ridgeville
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

I'm not sure Lakewood belongs in the big division, but it's all I could come up with now. Could do no crossovers for football or maybe one to help scheduling. Could be a single round robin in hoops which gives even more non-conference games. Golf, track, cross country, wrestling would have greater depth as well
Old 05-14-17, 02:28 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
No more expansion...please.

I was wrong regarding the number of harbins I thought could be earned by the teams in the league when they first expanded. I would, however, like more non-confernece scheduling to somehow be addressed. My preference is to rotate as opposed to add more schools to the league. Expanding created this problem. Adding more schools only lends to more problems. It's too difficult to keep that many administrations like minded as it relates to the direction of a conference and it impacts stability.
Old 05-14-17, 02:32 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I agree.
Old 05-14-17, 06:40 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Random thoughts...
I think ANY league that has a schedule where you don't play every one in the league is ridiculous. If they do, you don't have a true league Champion. And Harbin points could and would be affected. Especially when one division is better than the other division. Totally against it. Better off simply making it 2 different leagues. Then schedule random independent games. But I sure hope they don't give a League Championship trophy when you don't play everyone in your league. DI College football does it and it is absurd.
Old 05-14-17, 09:16 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Administration will not rock the boat and create more work. The 9 game round robin is what they want.

One thing that I am not a fan of and there is really nothing that can be done, is that for the sports of Football, Basketball and Baseball, the post season is like an SWC tournament. Especially with Baseball and Basketball.
Old 05-15-17, 06:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I think ANY league that has a schedule where you don't play every one in the league is ridiculous. If they do, you don't have a true league Champion. And Harbin points could and would be affected. Especially when one division is better than the other division. Totally against it. Better off simply making it 2 different leagues. Then schedule random independent games. But I sure hope they don't give a League Championship trophy when you don't play everyone in your league. DI College football does it and it is absurd.
I agree. Once they decided to go to ten teams and play a full round robin league schedule, they have to stick with it, unless they expand and implement what you do not want...divisions. I would rather have the divisions, though, rather than just lopping off a game or two from the conference schedule if they stick with ten schools.
Old 05-15-17, 06:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Administration will not rock the boat and create more work. The 9 game round robin is what they want.

One thing that I am not a fan of and there is really nothing that can be done, is that for the sports of Football, Basketball and Baseball, the post season is like an SWC tournament. Especially with Baseball and Basketball.
I agree. The sectional/district tourneys have become dull. You face the same schools over and over all season, and then again in the postseason.

I also agree there is little motivation from administrators to give up pretty much having your schedule in every sport filled out for you every season.

Ideally, and no offense is meant to either school, Berea-Midpark and Lakewood would leave for other leagues and we would be back to an eight school SWC more in spirit with the historical SWC...tight local geography in an eight school line up. I don't see it happening, though, because I just don't see that any of the current ten schools in the SWC would have any motivation to leave.
Old 05-15-17, 10:01 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Oddball schedule question:

Are the SWC schools required to play 5 home and 5 away games each season? All 10 did last year, so was curious. You would think at least one would end up with 4 or 6 home games every once in awhile.
Old 05-15-17, 10:14 AM
All Region

Are there any stud or solid QB's and passing attacks for the upcoming season. I'm pretty sure Midview, Avon, and Avon Lake all graduated their QB's that were also solid passers. Anything in the pipeline?
Old 05-15-17, 01:01 PM
Varsity

Hdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are there any stud or solid QB's and passing attacks for the upcoming season. I'm pretty sure Midview, Avon, and Avon Lake all graduated their QB's that were also solid passers. Anything in the pipeline?
Trevor Bycznski - Berea-Midpark. Junior this coming fall. He is poised to receive D1 offers starting this summer. 6' 5" 210# big arm

There is another one or two younger kids who could be very very solid when Trevor graduates. The Titans should be able to score at a very good clip for a few seasons.
Old 05-15-17, 01:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdog View Post
Trevor Bycznski - Berea-Midpark. Junior this coming fall. He is poised to receive D1 offers starting this summer. 6' 5" 210# big arm

There is another one or two younger kids who could be very very solid when Trevor graduates. The Titans should be able to score at a very good clip for a few seasons.
He is a raw talent. A lot of moving parts last year I thought. If he tightens up that delivery, really good things should happen for him.
Old 05-16-17, 06:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdog View Post

That's it? Only 1 school has an up and coming QB? The rest of the league turning to running the ball or just don't know of any upcoming QB's and passing attacks? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-16-17, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's it? Only 1 school has an up and coming QB? The rest of the league turning to running the ball or just don't know of any upcoming QB's and passing attacks? Thanks for any info.
Avon returns an experienced QB, Ryan Maloy, who will be a junior. He started several games last year and split time with the senior QB. He will be the full time starter. His strength, though, is his mobility, but his passing will improve. Avon will never stop passing the ball. Maloy is not tall, but neither was the 2011 QB, Justin O'Rourke, and he could throw with the best of them.

It will be interesting to see who Midview's QB is, after eight years of Calloway and Crum, both studs.
Old 05-16-17, 10:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Avon returns an experienced QB, Ryan Maloy, who will be a junior. He started several games last year and split time with the senior QB. He will be the full time starter. His strength, though, is his mobility, but his passing will improve. Avon will never stop passing the ball. Maloy is not tall, but neither was the 2011 QB, Justin O'Rourke, and he could throw with the best of them.

It will be interesting to see who Midview's QB is, after eight years of Calloway and Crum, both studs.
Thanks for that info. I love watching those teams that air it out. Crum was sweet to watch as was Bolin went Crum went down. Also Pappas, and can't remember Avon Lakes QB last year. I also know Berea chucks it. But that's why I'm hoping their are QB's in the pipeline. That league likes to throw it and I hope it continues. Love it!
Old 05-16-17, 11:12 AM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
North Ridgeville will once again rely on their running game with Malone and Williams returning, however their projected QB has a legit arm and is mobile. He will be a junior this season and has limited varsity experience. If he can learn and grow the Rangers offense should be fun to watch.
Old 05-16-17, 04:45 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Avon, Midview, and Olmsted Falls as the top three, not necessarily in that order.

I'd love to see it split into a Cuyahoga and Lorain division, going with Seven or eight league games. Would make a lot of sense for the other sports, too. Of course, now you run into possible schedule inequities playing into a league title race.

Losing Lakewood and Amherst to other leagues, and making the SWC an 8-team league again wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Interesting scenarios earlier in this thread, but the SWC will NEVER take Bedford, Elyria, any mutation of Parma schools, nor Lorain. Never.
Old 05-17-17, 05:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Avon, Midview, and Olmsted Falls as the top three, not necessarily in that order.

I'd love to see it split into a Cuyahoga and Lorain division, going with Seven or eight league games. Would make a lot of sense for the other sports, too. Of course, now you run into possible schedule inequities playing into a league title race.

Losing Lakewood and Amherst to other leagues, and making the SWC an 8-team league again wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Interesting scenarios earlier in this thread, but the SWC will NEVER take Bedford, Elyria, any mutation of Parma schools, nor Lorain. Never.
I wonder what happens to Bay and Rocky River if/when Parma consolidates?
Old 05-17-17, 06:14 AM
All Region

Amherst is a dark horse. Sounds crazy thinking about with their recent history, but keep an eye on these guys. They should be in the thick of things this year.
Old 05-17-17, 11:43 AM
All Region

Quote:

I can see Maloy being a 1,000 yd rusher and passer depending on how they want to use him.
Old 05-19-17, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amherst is a dark horse. Sounds crazy thinking about with their recent history, but keep an eye on these guys. They should be in the thick of things this year.
I agree. They have the talent to make noise. The coaching change may hinder them, or it may help them. That is the biggest question mark regarding Amherst making a big jump. Passarello showed at Firelands that he is capable of riding talented classes to wins. Sustaining that success was the trouble he had over there.
Old 05-19-17, 06:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I can see Maloy being a 1,000 yd rusher and passer depending on how they want to use him.
He could do that, but with all the talent Avon will have at RB this year, I doubt Coach Elder runs Maloy enough for 1,000 yards on the ground. The biggest improvement Maloy needs is the ability to win games with his arm. Being the full-time starter at QB should help accelerate the process.
Old 05-30-17, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

The league teams only have one non-conference game each year (Week One), and those are the only outside Harbin's, so it's important for the SWC teams to get the wins in these Week One games:

Clearview at Amherst
Avon vs Merritt Island (FL) @ Disney
Elyria at Avon Lake
Strongsville at Berea-Midpark
Medina at Lakewood
Midview at Lorain
North Olmsted at Valley Forge
North Royalton at North Ridgeville
Olmsted Falls at Brecksville
Eastlake North at Westlake
Old 06-01-17, 11:34 AM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
How would an Avon win/loss against an out of state team impact the point system? This seems like a great opportunity (to travel to Florida and play) for those players, coaches and fans.
Old 06-01-17, 07:59 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post

I have Avon, Midview and Westlake as my top three.

Why would the SWC never take Lorain or Elyria? To me, that league would make sense for both schools, because they're closer geographically to Avon, Midview, North Ridgeville, Amherst etc.

I could see the Great Lakes Conference making a play to get Lakewood to replace whichever Parma school gets the ax.
Old 06-01-17, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Size and demographics are your answer re: Lorain and Elyria.