Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-09-17, 01:08 PM
All District

jl6808 is on a distinguished road
Coming from a spectator with no dogs in the race. I'd say very mediocre. Couldn't exactly move the ball through the air. A lot of drops and a lot of passes off the mark. The boot rollout to the TE was a nice play that seemed to be the only way of moving it through the air. Qb-RB read option was a thing of beauty, could honestly say if it was televised the camera would have kept panning the wrong direction.

Defensively Mck moved the ball pretty consistently on them. Gashed them for a couple big time runs. And the corners were giving to much cushion and Mck continuously ran curl routes and routes where the receiver would sit down in the middle and move the ball 4-6 yards.

My guess would be that if that was a real game it would have come down to the 4th quarter without a doubt. Mck is a solid team but by no means a title contender in D1 so I don't know how that would speak for Eds potential
Old 08-09-17, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl6808 View Post
Coming from a spectator with no dogs in the race. I'd say very mediocre. Couldn't exactly move the ball through the air. A lot of drops and a lot of passes off the mark. The boot rollout to the TE was a nice play that seemed to be the only way of moving it through the air. Qb-RB read option was a thing of beauty, could honestly say if it was televised the camera would have kept panning the wrong direction.

Defensively Mck moved the ball pretty consistently on them. Gashed them for a couple big time runs. And the corners were giving to much cushion and Mck continuously ran curl routes and routes where the receiver would sit down in the middle and move the ball 4-6 yards.

My guess would be that if that was a real game it would have come down to the 4th quarter without a doubt. Mck is a solid team but by no means a title contender in D1 so I don't know how that would speak for Eds potential
Pretty good run down of the scrimmage.I live in Florida but watched the scrimmage on the construction cam.I know it's only a scrimmage but it feels good to get the best of Lakewood St Edward.If it was a real game it would be close.Good scrimmage for both teams.
Old 08-10-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Norm Weber had a little write-up on the athletic website about the scrimmage. Nothing of substance really other than a few quotes from Lombo. Seems like tackling was a big issue for the Eagles and may have led to some of the big gains for McKinley that jl6808 referenced. Lombardo stated that they don't do much live tackling in practice. My how times have changed.
Old 08-10-17, 04:20 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Eds will be fine and ready to go for week 1. I wouldn't sweat bullets over this against McKinley. I hope to see McKinley doing some serious damage in the playoffs like the 2000s.
Old 08-13-17, 07:53 AM
All American

sehs
How did the scrimmage go yesterday?
Old 08-13-17, 09:51 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Olentangy twitter account @ohsbravesfb has some video clips on Periscope. Looks like Ed's did ok from the little I watched.
Old 08-14-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...scrimmage.html

Quote:
By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net

Two scrimmages into the preseason, St. Edward football is making progress, but work still needs to be done to get ready for season opener Aug. 25 in Erie against McDowell.

The Eagles had their lone home scrimmage this summer Saturday against Olentangy, out of Lewis Center.

“We were working on our tackling, our effort, and our enthusiasm,” St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo said. “Particularly on defense, I thought we really improved from the McKinley scrimmage.”

Olentangy did not make many first downs and didn’t score on the first-team/more experienced defense.

“We also hit some big plays offensively with our skill guys and our linemen did a decent job,” Coach Lombardo said. “The physicality definitely moved in the right direction,”

Strides were made, but many more need to be taken within the next two weeks, including Friday’s jamboree scrimmage in Paul Brown Tiger Stadium against Massillon.

“We’re still nowhere near where we want to be,” Coach Lombardo said. “There was an improvement from Wednesday to Saturday. The more they play the more accustomed they will be to making open-field tackles.”

Scrimmages will be the closest thing this new edition of the St. Edward Eagles will get.

“There’s practice and there’s game experience,” Coach Lombardo said. “A lot of these guys didn’t play the last couple years. A lot didn’t play last year. We were a senior-laden team last year so it still takes time. I believe in the three-game theory. By the fourth game I usually have a good idea of what my team is, who they really are.”

Offensively, the Eagles had some big plays. The Eagles had a big screen pass for a touchdown, threw a long touchdown pass, and had a long run. They also had some solid six-, seven-, and eight-yard gains, which are crucial since the major nemesis of the Eagles in 2016 was third-down conversions.

“Third and short is better than third and long,” Coach Lombardo said. “All in all, we improved since Wednesday.”
Old 08-16-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Looks like one of the guys I thought might vie for one of the open LB positions, junior Robert Jakubs, has transferred to West Geauga.
Old 08-16-17, 07:57 PM
Freshman

Irish03482 is on a distinguished road
St. Eds is going to struggle this year. It will be a disappointing year for st. Eds I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-17, 07:48 AM
All Ohio

My impression is they are breaking in several new starters on O and D. First few weeks will be interesting, I hope they show the same progress during the season as last years team.
Old 08-19-17, 06:37 AM
All American

sehs
That seems to be a recurring trend and a really good one! That they improve a lot from week to week. Last year's team didn't reach the same level as the season previous but they did improve vastly from week one. I also think mentally they were entirely prepared for the playoffs, the game against Ignatius at Bedford showed that.
Old 08-19-17, 09:42 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
A little recap from yesterday.
http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...s-defense.html
Old 08-19-17, 09:51 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see the young Eagles perform well in Massillon. Much like last year, I would not be surprised to see a very conservative football team early...run the ball well, play good defense, and win field position. It will take four weeks for Lombardo and staff to determine who their playmakers are on both sides of the ball.

Go Eagles!
Old 08-19-17, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Good to hear the defense pitched a shutout, especially after the poor reports from the McKinley scrimmage a few weeks back about missing open field tackles. I think we will need to rely on the defense early on while the offense figures out where their strengths are.
Old 08-19-17, 11:04 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
I'm expecting a solid run game with Jr. Jordan Castlebury and Ty Rice in the backfield. Add in the QB read option that was executed very well in prior scrimmage and the offense should be pretty tough for opponents. Time will tell with the passing game but I believe they have a pretty big TE from last year.
Old 08-19-17, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
I'm expecting a solid run game with Jr. Jordan Castlebury and Ty Rice in the backfield. Add in the QB read option that was executed very well in prior scrimmage and the offense should be pretty tough for opponents. Time will tell with the passing game but I believe they have a pretty big TE from last year.
I wasn't even aware we used a TE last year.
Old 08-20-17, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Any information on McDowell?
Old 08-20-17, 01:44 PM
Freshman

new2pa is on a distinguished road
P-R scrimmaged McDowell yesterday. The offense scored twice in 6 plays and the defense didn't allow any scores. If St. Eds is close to last year defensively, I would expect McDowell to have a hard time scoring.
Old 08-20-17, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Scipio
A friend of mine from Naperville sent me this primer on St.Ed's opponent in week 6.
------------------
Central should be Uber-explosive on offense. They got a stud QB transfer from another local HS and have talent everywhere at the playmaker positions.

They are typically very physical defensively but they are replacing a TON of graduates. If they can get any kind of defensive continuity they will be a tough out.

From Edgy Tim's preseason Chicagoland Rankings:
https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/th...central.12859/

Here is a thread about the DuPage Valley Conference. It includes the 2 downtown Naperville schools, Naperville Central and NaperNorth (NC and NN for reference in the thread). It also includes the 3 other schools in Naperville that are District 204....Neuqua, Waubonsie, and Metea Valley's (NV, WV, and MV). It also includes Wheaton Warrenville South(WWS), Wheaton North (WN), and Glenbard North (GBN).
https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/th...ference.12874/
Old 08-20-17, 06:25 PM
All American

sehs
Worry about Week 6 when it happens, does McDowell still run a triple option offense? That usually gives us a hard time.
Old 08-21-17, 09:10 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
A PA based Yappi poster indicated that McDowell moved to the spread offensively a few years ago.
Old 08-21-17, 12:02 PM
Freshman

new2pa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Worry about Week 6 when it happens, does McDowell still run a triple option offense? That usually gives us a hard time.
No - they do not. In the scrimmage for P-R, the were a spread team. Ran the QB alot as well, but he didn't seem like a breakaway threat. They did not score.
Old 08-21-17, 12:40 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Reserve game against the Cats has been moved.
http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...st-edward.html
Old 08-22-17, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Anyone know if the starting QB has been named? I assumed we'd see Dzuro takeover based on last year, but it looks like he has been splitting snaps all preseason with the senior Kincaid (recently named a captain).
Old 08-22-17, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

In addition to QB what's the projected starting O & D for Friday?
Old 08-23-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
In addition to QB what's the projected starting O & D for Friday?
QB: Garrett Dzuro (Jr.)/Zach Kincaid (Sr.)
RB: Jordan Castleberry (Jr.)/Tylan Rice (Sr.)
WR/TE: Damerisse Freeman (Sr.)
WR: Devin Maddox (Sr.)
WR: Jalen Staples (Sr.)
WR: Quintel Kent (Jr.)
LT: Caleb Herring (Jr.)
LG: Zach Cepis (Jr.)
OC: Edward Rogowski (Sr.)
RG: N'Tare Williamson (Sr.)
RT: Matt McCausland (Sr.)

DE: Noah Militello (Sr.)
DT: Dontae Cilenti (Sr.)
DT: Deeb Alawan (Jr.)
DE: Collin Haas (Sr.)
OLB: Ethan Williams (Sr.)
MLB: Omar Fattah (Sr.)
OLB: Robert Mikovsky (Sr.)
CB: Mike Dowell (Sr.)
FS: Darnell Shields (Sr.)
SS: Caden Kolesar (Jr.)
CB: Richard White (Sr.)

K: Blaine Stencil (Sr.)
P: Mason Lawler (Sr.)

Last edited by EaglePride01; 08-23-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Here is Norm Weber's preview: http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...st-edward.html

I updated the above posted roster based on the article.
Old 08-23-17, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

Thanks