Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-16-17, 07:57 PM
Freshman

Irish03482 is on a distinguished road
St. Eds is going to struggle this year. It will be a disappointing year for st. Eds I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-17, 07:48 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
My impression is they are breaking in several new starters on O and D. First few weeks will be interesting, I hope they show the same progress during the season as last years team.
Old 08-19-17, 06:37 AM
All American

sehs
That seems to be a recurring trend and a really good one! That they improve a lot from week to week. Last year's team didn't reach the same level as the season previous but they did improve vastly from week one. I also think mentally they were entirely prepared for the playoffs, the game against Ignatius at Bedford showed that.
Old 08-19-17, 09:42 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
A little recap from yesterday.
http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...s-defense.html
Old 08-19-17, 09:51 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see the young Eagles perform well in Massillon. Much like last year, I would not be surprised to see a very conservative football team early...run the ball well, play good defense, and win field position. It will take four weeks for Lombardo and staff to determine who their playmakers are on both sides of the ball.

Go Eagles!
Old 08-19-17, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Good to hear the defense pitched a shutout, especially after the poor reports from the McKinley scrimmage a few weeks back about missing open field tackles. I think we will need to rely on the defense early on while the offense figures out where their strengths are.
Old 08-19-17, 11:04 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
I'm expecting a solid run game with Jr. Jordan Castlebury and Ty Rice in the backfield. Add in the QB read option that was executed very well in prior scrimmage and the offense should be pretty tough for opponents. Time will tell with the passing game but I believe they have a pretty big TE from last year.
Old 08-19-17, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
I'm expecting a solid run game with Jr. Jordan Castlebury and Ty Rice in the backfield. Add in the QB read option that was executed very well in prior scrimmage and the offense should be pretty tough for opponents. Time will tell with the passing game but I believe they have a pretty big TE from last year.
I wasn't even aware we used a TE last year.
Old 08-20-17, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Any information on McDowell?
Old 08-20-17, 01:44 PM
Freshman

new2pa is on a distinguished road
P-R scrimmaged McDowell yesterday. The offense scored twice in 6 plays and the defense didn't allow any scores. If St. Eds is close to last year defensively, I would expect McDowell to have a hard time scoring.
Old 08-20-17, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine from Naperville sent me this primer on St.Ed's opponent in week 6.
------------------
Central should be Uber-explosive on offense. They got a stud QB transfer from another local HS and have talent everywhere at the playmaker positions.

They are typically very physical defensively but they are replacing a TON of graduates. If they can get any kind of defensive continuity they will be a tough out.

From Edgy Tim's preseason Chicagoland Rankings:
https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/th...central.12859/

Here is a thread about the DuPage Valley Conference. It includes the 2 downtown Naperville schools, Naperville Central and NaperNorth (NC and NN for reference in the thread). It also includes the 3 other schools in Naperville that are District 204....Neuqua, Waubonsie, and Metea Valley's (NV, WV, and MV). It also includes Wheaton Warrenville South(WWS), Wheaton North (WN), and Glenbard North (GBN).
https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/th...ference.12874/
Old 08-20-17, 06:25 PM
All American

sehs
Worry about Week 6 when it happens, does McDowell still run a triple option offense? That usually gives us a hard time.
Old 08-21-17, 09:10 AM
All American

A PA based Yappi poster indicated that McDowell moved to the spread offensively a few years ago.
Old 08-21-17, 12:02 PM
Freshman

new2pa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Worry about Week 6 when it happens, does McDowell still run a triple option offense? That usually gives us a hard time.
No - they do not. In the scrimmage for P-R, the were a spread team. Ran the QB alot as well, but he didn't seem like a breakaway threat. They did not score.
Old 08-21-17, 12:40 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Reserve game against the Cats has been moved.
http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...st-edward.html
Old 08-22-17, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Anyone know if the starting QB has been named? I assumed we'd see Dzuro takeover based on last year, but it looks like he has been splitting snaps all preseason with the senior Kincaid (recently named a captain).
Old 08-22-17, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

In addition to QB what's the projected starting O & D for Friday?
Old 08-23-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
In addition to QB what's the projected starting O & D for Friday?
QB: Garrett Dzuro (Jr.)/Zach Kincaid (Sr.)
RB: Jordan Castleberry (Jr.)/Tylan Rice (Sr.)
WR/TE: Damerisse Freeman (Sr.)
WR: Devin Maddox (Sr.)
WR: Jalen Staples (Sr.)
WR: Quintel Kent (Jr.)
LT: Caleb Herring (Jr.)
LG: Zach Cepis (Jr.)
OC: Edward Rogowski (Sr.)
RG: N'Tare Williamson (Sr.)
RT: Matt McCausland (Sr.)

DE: Noah Militello (Sr.)
DT: Dontae Cilenti (Sr.)
DT: Deeb Alawan (Jr.)
DE: Collin Haas (Sr.)
OLB: Ethan Williams (Sr.)
MLB: Omar Fattah (Sr.)
OLB: Robert Mikovsky (Sr.)
CB: Mike Dowell (Sr.)
FS: Darnell Shields (Sr.)
SS: Caden Kolesar (Jr.)
CB: Richard White (Sr.)

K: Blaine Stencil (Sr.)
P: Mason Lawler (Sr.)

Last edited by EaglePride01; 08-23-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Here is Norm Weber's preview: http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...st-edward.html

I updated the above posted roster based on the article.
Old 08-23-17, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

Thanks
Old 08-26-17, 06:35 AM
All American

Nice win last evening by the Eagles. McDowell was a solid opponent and gave the Eagles fits throughout the game with the read option play by their capable QB with very good ball handling skills.

Instead of being too specific, I will recap my thoughts as follows...

1. Nice to see the young men respond after a halftime deficit on the road.

2. Special teams matter, outside of the apparent place kicking mishaps, the cover teams have become too dependent on Lawler's leg. 110% effort thru the whistle is important.

3. A DL "monster" will need to emerge to help this D become very effective. Back 7 play was very solid. DB's playing almost exclusive press coverage at the corners. Kolesar holds promise. Fattah is exceptional.

4. Not a fan of the QB rotation system. Repetitions will be important in advance of week 4 and on.

5. The Eagles appear to have offensive playmakers. Castleberry should never leave the field of play offensively.

6. OL rotated liberally throughout the contest and seem somewhat unsettled regarding their starting five. They are BIG upfront, but need to be mobile on the edges to protect against quick Dline fronts.

The staff had the team prepared and were able to get them to compete on the road and excel in the 2nd half.

Go Eagles!
Old 08-26-17, 06:48 AM
All American

sehs
The Eagles played a phenomenal 2nd half of football last night. It seemed like it took them a half to figure some things out. McDowell came out with a good read option qb and tough rb who had our d-line and linebackers in fits. Also made some nice throws set up off of those runs. An early Eagle mistake led to their first points, an interception, and then they drove down for a touchdown. That is when the o-line seemed to wake up and Ed's came back with a strong drive to score our first TD. Mishandled the snap on the PAT and then did it again when we tried for a FG late in the half.

2nd half seemed like the ship was righted though. Scored on our like 2nd, 3rd and 8th offensive plays and after that the route was on. Tough running between the tackles eventually wore down the McDowell defense and some nice but simple throws were made. Big games from our runningbacks and receivers. The Big Green Machine clamped down on McDowell's offense as they got better at staying home and reading the play.

Not sure if I like a two qb system but it definitely helped calm the offense down last night. I was also surprised at how little we had the qbs running the ball. They made some nice simple throws to the edges, maybe twice do I remember a throw down field but they got it out quick and only made the one bad mistake in the first quarter.

We have two beast running backs. Tough, quick and shifty, once they broke into the second level they turned on the speed but often broke tackles to get there, never stopped fighting for yards.

O-line needs more playing time together but they will be a strength I think. It took them a few stalled drives to get it going but eventually dominated the Trojan d-line all second half.

Defensively, we need to get more out of our d-line to apply pressure. I think they were overly aggressive in the first half to the point where they were fooled too often on the read option, eventually they figured it out but had to rely heavily on the linebackers and dbs to bail them out.

The Db's looked really good albeit with some tough penalties. It's a hard no call but Dowell got flagged for running into a receiver who had no chance catching the ball, they battled all night, Dowell with #5, enough pushing and shoving on both sides.

Linebackers are the strength of the D.
Old 08-28-17, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Just had a chance to watch the webcast, and I'd mostly echo what slammer and sehs had to say. Slow start, strong finish, still plenty of work to do for this team to reach it's full potential (which I believe could be quite high).

Positives:

1. The two-headed monster of Rice and Castleberry. I figured it would be the Castleberry show this year, but the senior Rice showed why he's earned the right to split carries. My lord did he lower the boom on that poor DB on what I believe was his second TD jaunt. Castleberry also showed power and vision in the open field, in addition to some break away speed.

2. Devin Maddox. I thought he would break out last year and be a bigger part of the offense. While he flashed the occasional big play ability, it never really blossomed into much. Against McDowell he showed he is a threat whenever the ball is in his hands, both offensively and on special teams in the return game. He looks like he put the work in during the offseason in the weight room too, much more built this year.

3. Offensive line. We're not talking 2010-2012 here in terms of the talent, but I liked what I saw from this group. Plenty big enough. Kept the pocket clean for the most part and opened up some nice holes for the backs. Still need time to gel, and I'd like to see how they do against more elite defensive fronts, but it looks like this unit could be a strength.

4. Omar Fattah. Kid is a beast pure and simple. Flying around the field making plays. The rest of the LB crew (they rotated a few in there) looked solid, but will need some seasoning. Undersized group.

Negatives:

1. Special teams miscues during place kicks. Got to clean that up.

2. Defensive line. They didn't play poorly, and flashed at moments, but lost contain way too often on play fakes. They bring in a different front on obvious passing downs featuring Will Henry, but still didn't seem to generate much pressure. This unit is a work in progress right now.

3. 2-QB system. Like slammer said, the more reps the better. Pick one and ride with him. Neither found enough of a rhythm to separate himself, and they probably never will if they continue to rotate every series. I'd like to see more throws down the field rather than all these swing passes and screens, but take what they give you I suppose. I expect the offense to ramp up in terms of complexity when they come to a decision of the QB.
Old 08-30-17, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
After traveling to Erie this weekend to watch the Eagles I'm excited to see how this team will shape up throughout the course of the year. It's a good schedule that will allow the defense time to jell and improve. I think the offense is going to be putting up a lot of points this years, especially as the line gains experience. Lot's to talented ball players in the skill positions.
Old 08-30-17, 12:23 PM
All Ohio

Good Worthy of the Jersey podcast this week. Flannery interviewed Lombardo.
Old 08-30-17, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
Good Worthy of the Jersey podcast this week. Flannery interviewed Lombardo.
Good listen. Looks like we can expect to see the two-Qb system at least for the near future until one of these guys separates themselves. These early games should allow for that. I'd like to see one by the time we play Elder.
Old 09-03-17, 07:31 AM
All American

Great to see this Eagles' football team at 2-0, but they still have work to do to be considered a contender in 2017. IMO Dzuro proved to be the QB starter for week 3 and beyond...its his ball handling skills and his legs that make this offense multi-dimensional.

Go Eagles!
Old 09-03-17, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Interesting game against Glenville. Like last week, the Eagles imposed their will in the second half to pull away, but the Tarblooders looked up to the task in the first half. They probably held the edge in time of possession and were converting way too many third and longs through the air against a secondary that is supposed to be the strength of this defense. Glenville was without their starting QB who was replaced by athlete Jamel Hamm, and if not for his accuracy issues, there were quite a few times we could have been burned for scores or big gains. Their diminutive RB Fullerton was a real headache to deal with. That kid can stop and start on a dime and then turn on the burners. He slipped a least a dozen tackles for loss.

Offensively for the Eagles, they showed a lot of big play capability. Castleberry and Rice looked great again. We barely threw the ball (I believe 12 attempts all game), but when we did they went for big gains and 3 TD's. Count me in the "Dzuro for QB" camp as well. Kincaid is more than capable of running this offense, but Dzuro's athleticism was really on display during those two TD's runs. He adds that extra element.

HD Woodson (DC) is up next. While this is normally a "tune up" type of game, we need to be on alert after the issues I saw in the Glenville game. For whatever it's worth, this is supposed to be Woodson's best team in a while. Big time D1 commits and prospects. RB committed to USC, 2 corners committed to Maryland, a Syracuse commit at WR, and others. They will be more reminiscent of some of the good Glenville teams we used to see.
Old 09-06-17, 06:54 AM
All American

Any news on Kalis' and Orlosky's bids to make NFL rosters in 2017? It appears both were cut this past week, but Kalis signed with the Redskins practice squad. Any news on Orlosky and the Eagles or another NFL team?

Go Eagles!
Old 09-06-17, 11:17 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
MaxPreps

Polls are meaningless. But MaxPreps who've generally ranked the Eagles favorably has them ranked seventh (in the state) behind an 0-2 Colerain team. Yes, the same Colerain team with two unimpressive losses. Even if they are to powerhouse D2 LaSalle and the reigning state champions.
If it was the Cleveland.com poll I would chalk it up to guys that wouldn't know a football from a sail boat.
Could be MaxPreps is simply basing this on a lack of D1 recruits. Either way it's highly insulting for a team that was a BS no call on pass interference away from defending their back to back state titles.