Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-20-17, 04:14 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I went to Hudl and looked up videos for the projected 2017 St. Eds projected QB (Garrett Dzuro- based on Eaglepride1's list). He looks pretty good. I know that it was JV games only, but it doesn't look like they will miss a beat at QB. Looked pretty athletic, will tuck it and can run, solid arm, and looked real accurate. I know it just video clips, but I was impressed. And I think he will only be a junior.
Old 06-20-17, 04:25 PM
All Region

I went to the St. Edward HS website and looked at their schedule. It has the game vs. Moeller listed for 10/20. 10/20 is a Friday. Is that possible or a typo and should be 10/21???
Old 06-20-17, 05:11 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I went to the St. Edward HS website and looked at their schedule. It has the game vs. Moeller listed for 10/20. 10/20 is a Friday. Is that possible or a typo and should be 10/21???
Big Moe season ticket schedule has 10/21 at 4:00 PM at Lakewood. GBM
Old 06-21-17, 08:48 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I went to Hudl and looked up videos for the projected 2017 St. Eds projected QB (Garrett Dzuro- based on Eaglepride1's list). He looks pretty good. I know that it was JV games only, but it doesn't look like they will miss a beat at QB. Looked pretty athletic, will tuck it and can run, solid arm, and looked real accurate. I know it just video clips, but I was impressed. And I think he will only be a junior.
Is this kid the son of CCC alumnus George Dzuro. If so, he too was a QB and was a very good athlete.
Old 06-21-17, 10:20 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
Big Moe season ticket schedule has 10/21 at 4:00 PM at Lakewood. GBM
So I wonder which site is accurate? Moe's says 4:00, St. Ed's says 5:00?
Old 06-21-17, 09:44 PM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
The game is at 4 pm vs Moeller
Old 06-22-17, 04:29 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
If I am not mistaken, one of the biggest assets returning to the St. Edward gridiron in the 2017 season will be coach Scanlon. His OL over the past decade has been the best in HS football and having him teaching technique M-F's will have a significant impact on results.

Go Eagles!
Old 06-23-17, 12:59 PM
All American

sehs
I would agree Slammer, consistency at a positional group that needs to be consistent. He has coached some phenomenal lines in his time there and was on the staff for even more. It's a lifetime ago now but I believe he was on the coaching staff for the Jeremy Hines anchored line in 2001, then you had Alex Boone lines until 2004. Of course the champion 2010 line with several D1ers takes the cake. It would be interesting to look up but I believe every year St. Ed's has more than one O-lineman play at the next level somewhere, whether that's a place like John Carroll, Mercyhurst, MAC or bigger.
Old 06-24-17, 10:44 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
I am really shocked that only Boone made it to the NFL.

I have seen some flat out garbage offensive lineman in the NFL over the years..
Old 06-25-17, 05:41 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
I am really shocked that only Boone made it to the NFL.

I have seen some flat out garbage offensive lineman in the NFL over the years..
Orlosky and Kalis signed as undrafted free agents with the Eagles and Redskins this year. Of the two, I'd say Orlosky is more likely to stick around.
Old 06-25-17, 06:57 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget these OL individuals as well that starred at the next level or Kennan and Thomas. One could argue that Grant (TE) was such an attractive college recruit because of his ability to block. I recall the Glenville game played at the Browns Stadium (2011 year?). Grant put on a jersey with a number 70 (?) on it and moved to right tackle in the 2nd half. Eagles began to dominate line play and won a close early season (opener) contest.

Scanlon recognizes talent, places the young men in the best position to compete, coaches "up" technique, and is able to make adjustments on game day to take advantage of mismatches...one of the best at his job in Ohio.
Old 06-25-17, 08:47 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
Don't forget these OL individuals as well that starred at the next level or Kennan and Thomas. One could argue that Grant (TE) was such an attractive college recruit because of his ability to block. I recall the Glenville game played at the Browns Stadium (2011 year?). Grant put on a jersey with a number 70 (?) on it and moved to right tackle in the 2nd half. Eagles began to dominate line play and won a close early season (opener) contest.

Scanlon recognizes talent, places the young men in the best position to compete, coaches "up" technique, and is able to make adjustments on game day to take advantage of mismatches...one of the best at his job in Ohio.
Eds has an elite staff. They can find a weak point and expose a teams weakness in a heart beat. The majority of the teams Eds played last year were way more talented than them and they beat them. Solid coaching and dedicated players were the result of Eds winning games during the 2016 season.
Old 06-25-17, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Eds has an elite staff. They can find a weak point and expose a teams weakness in a heart beat. The majority of the teams Eds played last year were way more talented than them and they beat them. Solid coaching and dedicated players were the result of Eds winning games during the 2016 season.
And then they played Ignatius and got out coached....
Old 06-25-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. Hoban and Ignatius were more talented. On paper, Moeller probably was. That's about it.
Old 06-25-17, 10:56 AM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Give me a break.
Old 06-25-17, 11:05 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Catholics and privates often downplay their talent levels , want to b known more for hard work than anything else and or or great coaching or being smarter so they overachieve. This is often done with the topping of knocking Publics for their bad students lack of discipline and poor coaching .

Of course the top level Catholics produce more D-1 kids than power publics overall , some exceptions in some years but the rule of thumb is the Catholics with a broader drawing area are more talented bigger and stronger than the strong publics .

Admitting a personnel advantage is not saying you don't need a strong program culture and strong coaching and work ethic to achieve what some of these schools do , but sometimes the downplaying of the personnel level is disingenuous and dishonest ..
Old 06-25-17, 01:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
I don't think that's true at all. Hoban and Ignatius were more talented. On paper, Moeller probably was. That's about it.
Stow had more D1 talent and more talent than Eds. How many D1 players did Eds face last year?
Old 06-25-17, 02:08 PM
All American

I also believe that coaching teams as talented as Saint Edward isn't always an easy task. SEHS [across all sports] has some of the best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-17, 04:28 PM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
This is often done with the topping of knocking Publics for their bad students lack of discipline and poor coaching .
Nobody here has to knock public schools. They do an outstanding job of advertising how poor they are all on their own.
Old 06-25-17, 09:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
I also believe that coaching teams as talented as Saint Edward isn't always an easy task. SEHS [across all sports] has some of the best.

The suburban public schools have very good coaches in all of their sports. Hilliard, Massillon Jackson, Aurora, Upper Arlington, Solon, and Hudson are all examples.
Old 06-26-17, 12:22 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Nobody here has to knock public schools. They do an outstanding job of advertising how poor they are all on their own.
No one adds class to a thread like SuperD1.
Old 06-26-17, 04:00 AM
All American

Stow was not more talented than Ed's PERIOD .
Old 06-26-17, 06:44 AM
All American

sehs
While I think hardwork and good coaching is better at St. Ed's than at most places, they are certainly not devoid of really talented players. Where I think the narrative loses focus is the emphasis on D-1 talent. Yeah Cleveland Heights might have a player or two that a Michigan State or Pitt wants but in the aggregate Ed's most certainly has more players that will play in college at all levels.

Honestly, the biggest difference is that these players come in highly motivated with a wealth of great talent and that is then married with a coaching staff, school culture and institutional memory (varsity and jv level players that also push you to get better) that helps them ascend as players. State of the art weight room and program also feeds into that as well as a program that has a ton of players, Ed's probably dresses between 50 and 70 players for a contest. Depth normally wins out in many of these football games after the teams have been physically beating up on the other team.

The way public schools are set up, they do not always have all of those things in place. For starters, they obviously are stuck with the players in their district and the population of their district. Public weight rooms are also in high demand, I think they are used all the time but not at the same level because they can't be. They are co-ed schools which most of the time doubles the athletic teams they have so the boys sports need to work out a schedule with the girls sports. If you walk into St. Ed's at 8pm, you will probably see some guys working out and lifting, there's a coach present who opened it up, I don't think you see that at public schools because the weight rooms are being used all the time.

Quality coaching is obviously a must but I think in many districts the coaches are hamstrung by other factors. The ability to hire the staff you want, put in place a good offseason program and having the players buy into it all.
Old 06-26-17, 07:11 AM
All American

+1000

Old 06-26-17, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Stow had more D1 talent and more talent than Eds. How many D1 players did Eds face last year?
I believe they did have more D1 guys with their big three of Vantrease, Miranda, and Gobble. But beyond those three, St. Edward's roster top to bottom was better (even though it was a little down compared to the past few years).

Throughout the year Ed's played a number of outstanding individual players (how many were D1 players I don't know), but the schedule overall wasn't exactly murderer's row.
Old 06-26-17, 07:35 AM
All American

sehs
Great example of a talent gap was the Huber Heights vs. St. Ed's game in 2010.

Best player on the field was Braxton Miller and at the key position for football. He ran a defense ragged with his running and passing ability, mostly in the form of scrambling out of bad situations. One big mistake was a pick 6. That Eagle team had a ton of players who played in college and they could hardly touch Miller, in fact the only time I remember someone breaking through and sacking him was Deonte Gibson at the end of the game, blew past the tackle and dropped him.

But the team effort of the several talented players on St. Ed's made up for it and they played a well-executed and close to flawless second half for the win. Still took a lot of things going their way and a mistake by Miller to make the victory happen though.
Old 06-26-17, 09:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
I believe they did have more D1 guys with their big three of Vantrease, Miranda, and Gobble. But beyond those three, St. Edward's roster top to bottom was better (even though it was a little down compared to the past few years).

Throughout the year Ed's played a number of outstanding individual players (how many were D1 players I don't know), but the schedule overall wasn't exactly murderer's row.
No it wasn't a rough schedule compared to years past, but the kids and coaching staff had one heck of a season. They were very young and got better every week. Experienced coaches and dedicated kids deserve the credit in 2016. They could of lost a few games, but the kids gelled together as a unit and didn't fall apart. Young teams can easily do that. I see a very long playoff streak happening due to this elite coaching staff.
Old 06-26-17, 03:53 PM
All American

When you mention the personnel advantages the well run catholic/ private programs have I am not suggesting that there aren't some seasons that some are younger than others or are in a rebuild mode.

I am also not saying that every ST X team and ST Ed's team for instance doesn't have a few overacheivers or is always loaded with studs and high recruits at every position , but rather than year in and year out , the Catholics are less likely to have a down class, or a small offensive line that isn't as effective, or a lack of depth that can successfully withstand major injuries like a ST X losing two D-1 lineman to ACL'S and still winning a state championship for instance.

Publics even at the highest levels of programs have years where they flat out lack players who can compete at a high level l at a certain position group whereas Catholics compared to their like numbered publics will simply less often deal with these types of issues.

Often the difference in high school teams personnel wise isn't in who has more D-1 kids, but rather who has more good tough football players who will play in college period, , great systems coaching and cultures can lessen the affect of personnel disadvantages , but by and large there is a reason why the Catholics at the D-1 level anyway has won an overwhelming percentage of D-1 state titles despite having a paucity of schools compared to the public numbers
Old 06-26-17, 04:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
When you mention the personnel advantages the well run catholic/ private programs have I am not suggesting that there aren't some seasons that some are younger than others or are in a rebuild mode.

I am also not saying that every ST X team and ST Ed's team for instance doesn't have a few overacheivers or is always loaded with studs and high recruits at every position , but rather than year in and year out , the Catholics are less likely to have a down class, or a small offensive line that isn't as effective, or a lack of depth that can successfully withstand major injuries like a ST X losing two D-1 lineman to ACL'S and still winning a state championship for instance.

Publics even at the highest levels of programs have years where they flat out lack players who can compete at a high level l at a certain position group whereas Catholics compared to their like numbered publics will simply less often deal with these types of issues.

Often the difference in high school teams personnel wise isn't in who has more D-1 kids, but rather who has more good tough football players who will play in college period, , great systems coaching and cultures can lessen the affect of personnel disadvantages , but by and large there is a reason why the Catholics at the D-1 level anyway has won an overwhelming percentage of D-1 state titles despite having a paucity of schools compared to the public numbers
Xavier has Steve Specht. He's a pure genius! He can outcoach the best HS Coaches in the country!

Eds has Tom Lombardo. Schools and coaches come to him..he doesn't even need to put his resume out.

Based on your posts, I think you underestimate some of the very good coaches in the Columbus area, Pickerington, and Huber Hts area.
Old 06-26-17, 06:46 PM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd need some assistance filling in a complete projected starting lineup, but here's what I'd guess so far:

Offense
QB: Garrett Dzuro (Jr)
RB: Jordan Castleberry (Jr)
WR: Damerisse Freeman (Sr)
WR: Devin Maddox (Sr)
WR: Quintel Kent (Jr)
WR:
OT: Caleb Herring (Jr)
OG:
OC:
OG:
OT:

Defense
DE: Will Henry (Sr)
DT: Dontae Cilenti (Sr)
DT:
DE:
OLB:
MLB: Omar Fattah (Sr)
OLB:
CB: Mike Dowell (Sr)
FS: Darnell Shields (Sr)
SS: Caden Kolesar (Jr)
CB: Devin Maddox (Sr)
Don't Forget Kicker Blaine Stencil and P/K Mason Lawler come back.