Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Random question but I figured the football thread gets the most views but does anyone remember Ed's or Ignatius dominating the rivalry in most sports like the Wildcats have beaten the Eagles this year?

Twice in football, I believe 4x in hockey, twice in basketball, soccer and the rest of the sports I believe outside of wrestling were all Wildcat wins. Odd year or are people worried? Flan had not lost to Ignatius in a playoff game ever until last year. I believe last year was also the first time Ignatius had beaten Ed's in a hockey playoff game too. Soccer had begun to even out under Coach Dore' but really regressed lately and returned to yearly beat downs. Football was embarrassed at the stadium but really played their best game in the playoffs, still wonder what could have been if Kramer didn't break his leg.
Certainly a good year to be a Wildcat as far as the rivalry goes. As for being worried, I don't see any reason to be. Aside from soccer and wrestling (and perhaps some less heralded sports like cross country and swimming), the two schools are quite competitive with one another across the sports landscape. Wildcats just so happened to be on the winning side of some tight battles this year. If anything could be considered "worrisome," I'd say it's the surge of the Ignatius hockey program. Their roster depth has been much better than ours in recent years, and may reflect that Ed's is no longer the preferred choice among the elite youth players.
Old 03-07-17, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
In some alum-related news, it appears Alex Stump is the latest casualty in OSU's bid to get the roster down to 85 players heading into next season. Vanderbilt is his rumored destination. Hopefully he's able to contribute somewhere for his remaining eligibility.
Old 03-07-17, 09:58 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Not worried at all. These things go in cycles. At least in the major sports. The basketball team will be a final 4 team the next 3 years. Football will be right in the mix as always. Those are the only two sports MOST casual fans really care about. Hockey, soccer, wrestling etc all are secondary sports to MOST fans. Now to the older alumni, winning is all the matters regardless of the sport.

I do agree we need to do a better job in hockey and soccer to compete with the Cats. With that being said, the Cats have roughly 25% more students. Not that I'm saying that is an excuse. Just the truth.

The Eagles will be fine.
Old 03-07-17, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Not worried at all. These things go in cycles. At least in the major sports. The basketball team will be a final 4 team the next 3 years. Football will be right in the mix as always. Those are the only two sports MOST casual fans really care about. Hockey, soccer, wrestling etc all are secondary sports to MOST fans. Now to the older alumni, winning is all the matters regardless of the sport.

I do agree we need to do a better job in hockey and soccer to compete with the Cats. With that being said, the Cats have roughly 25% more students. Not that I'm saying that is an excuse. Just the truth.

The Eagles will be fine.
It's more like 37% more students (940 vs. 1500).

St. Ed's has improved itself significantly in the academic area. It's also become more fiscally wise and responsible. At St. Ed's today, it's all about building the endowment. When you focus on the endowment, something's gotta give. It appears to me that coaches, who all used to engage in their own fundraising, are being permitted far less of this, if any. That money, controlled by the coaches, went for a "variety" of things. There's far less of that money today in the athletic department. It's a big win for the school, maybe not so much for some sports teams.

So, maybe today, you have two schools, going at their business in a somewhat similar fashion and one is 37% bigger than the other. If all that is true, the bigger school should win the athletic competitions more often than not...across the board.
Old 03-07-17, 12:02 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Normally Cat we don't see eye to eye. On this occasion we are close. The only statement I would argue is "it's all about building the endowment. " That simply isn't true. Although the current campaign will bring many changes to the look of the school. All for the good of the kids.
Old 03-07-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Normally Cat we don't see eye to eye. On this occasion we are close. The only statement I would argue is "it's all about building the endowment. " That simply isn't true. Although the current campaign will bring many changes to the look of the school. All for the good of the kids.
I don't mean that every nickle raised goes to the endowment. I'm sure the current campaign has other improvements. They help sell the campaign. But the foundation is the endowment...one that keeps increasing in value.
Old 03-07-17, 01:44 PM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
It's more like 37% more students (940 vs. 1500).

St. Ed's has improved itself significantly in the academic area. It's also become more fiscally wise and responsible. At St. Ed's today, it's all about building the endowment. When you focus on the endowment, something's gotta give. It appears to me that coaches, who all used to engage in their own fundraising, are being permitted far less of this, if any. That money, controlled by the coaches, went for a "variety" of things. There's far less of that money today in the athletic department. It's a big win for the school, maybe not so much for some sports teams.

So, maybe today, you have two schools, going at their business in a somewhat similar fashion and one is 37% bigger than the other. If all that is true, the bigger school should win the athletic competitions more often than not...across the board.
I have to say I hate the narrative that Ed's has improved its academics. They changed the perception about their academics, the actual education I believe remains close to the same as it always has been. I do agree that it seems their institutional structure seems to be a more consistent pecking order whereas before everyone was doing their own thing.
Old 03-07-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have to say I hate the narrative that Ed's has improved its academics. They changed the perception about their academics, the actual education I believe remains close to the same as it always has been.
One might conclude that your view is that IB is just a bunch of public relations BS.

FWIW...I KNOW that people who run academics and admissions at Ignatius think that Ed's has improved its academics. Until about 3-4 years ago, Ignatius never gave merit scholarships. They started after the admissions climate between the schools heated up. Doesn't mean Ed's has improved its academics but, the people down the road think you have.
Old 03-07-17, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have to say I hate the narrative that Ed's has improved its academics. They changed the perception about their academics, the actual education I believe remains close to the same as it always has been. I do agree that it seems their institutional structure seems to be a more consistent pecking order whereas before everyone was doing their own thing.
Some years back, I came to the conclusion that a big difference between Ed's and Ignatius was that Ed's people believed (correctly) that their opinion mattered and they had a say. Looked sort of rudderless to me. At Ignatius, we knew we didn't (unless exceptionally wealthy). I agree with you that I don't think Ed's is like that anymore.
Old 03-07-17, 03:23 PM
All District

pm12100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
In some alum-related news, it appears Alex Stump is the latest casualty in OSU's bid to get the roster down to 85 players heading into next season. Vanderbilt is his rumored destination. Hopefully he's able to contribute somewhere for his remaining eligibility.
Here is info posted on 11 Warriors. His announcement says he is off to Vanderbilt. It is kind of hard to go wrong with that school. Had the opportunity to see him play before his Ed's days. Good kid, good family

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...mp-leaves-team
Old 03-09-17, 09:59 AM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Have to find a balance between input from your community of supporters and alumni versus the administration acting in a vacuum.

Quote:
Some years back, I came to the conclusion that a big difference between Ed's and Ignatius was that Ed's people believed (correctly) that their opinion mattered and they had a say. Looked sort of rudderless to me. At Ignatius, we knew we didn't (unless exceptionally wealthy). I agree with you that I don't think Ed's is like that anymore.
Old 03-09-17, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
Have to find a balance between input from your community of supporters and alumni versus the administration acting in a vacuum.
How about an administration that knows the school, its history and its alums and isn't afraid to lead. That's hardly a vacuum.
Old 03-09-17, 02:41 PM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One might conclude that your view is that IB is just a bunch of public relations BS.

FWIW...I KNOW that people who run academics and admissions at Ignatius think that Ed's has improved its academics. Until about 3-4 years ago, Ignatius never gave merit scholarships. They started after the admissions climate between the schools heated up. Doesn't mean Ed's has improved its academics but, the people down the road think you have.
sehs I couldn't agree with you more. And while CatAlum's response is, as always, well worded, don't let it back you into a corner.

Instead I offer that all private high schools, particularly those competing for students, are constantly looking to "improve their academics." I would certainly hope that my famed alma mater falls into that category. But I digress. Saint Edward has been challenging young men producing fine adults since nineteen hundred and forty nine.

As for knowing people who think this or talking to someone who knows this...is and always has been a yawner. I know a guy who thinks Scottie Pippen is the best defensive player of all time while his brother argues that Chris Dudley deserves that title.
Old 03-09-17, 05:25 PM
All American

sehs
Quote:

Ed's got better at talking about their academics, what they call in the business "spin." IB gets Ed's in the door so that they have a talking point that is different than St. Ignatius that is still academically on par with them. IB has not changed the actual classroom teaching hardly at all, its just something else to talk about so that they are in the conversation for a higher share of the higher academic achievers than they historically have been.

For most of Ed's history, they did not care about that, the narrative was (whether true or not) that Ignatius was a school you went to for academics and Ed's was where you went to if you couldn't get into Ignatius. It then shifted, Ed's was the sports school, etc. I don't know how far back it goes but I believe in Phil Donahue's biography he talks about not going to the more prestigious school, St. Ignatius. The Brothers wanted it that way, their charism is to educate a larger range of academic students, if you as Br. Dennis or Br. James Everett at St. Ed's they will tell you this. For a majority of the school's history, it worked, they were a larger school than St. Ignatius from the late '60s through the mid '80s. The nature of private education has changed since then though. Now you need to be prestigious and you want to be to continue to attract students so that the school survives, its just a reality.

So after having a lousy administration in the mid to late '80s where the larger enrollment went back to St. Ignatius, Ed's has been trying to keep up with the Jones'. They were a blue ribbon school in 1995 too. They talked about it for the next three years. They had a "Psychology of Testing" class for all their honors kids to take that was designed to help them score higher on national merit tests. They devoted money and training for teachers in the mid '90s to do more with special ed students. So yeah, whether you call it BS or spin, there's a history of the school doing that.

IB has let Ed's get a larger share of the smarter kids and they want to move into that direction because the future of private education looks like that is what you need to do in order to keep the school in a healthy mode. My hope would be that they can do this without losing sight of the traditional foundations that the school was built on. I'm not saying its not a bad program but it hasn't drastically changed education at the school is all. Ignatius isn't worried that Ed's improved an already quality education, Ignatius is worried that more people were talking about Ed's academics then they had been before and they stopped having things like waiting lists for prospective students.
Old 03-09-17, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Sounds like you have a fairly low opinion of the private high school consumer.
Old 03-09-17, 09:24 PM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How about an administration that knows the school, its history and its alums and isn't afraid to lead. That's hardly a vacuum.
You described the balance I was referencing.
Old 03-11-17, 08:47 PM
All District

GoingCoastal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Random question but I figured the football thread gets the most views but does anyone remember Ed's or Ignatius dominating the rivalry in most sports like the Wildcats have beaten the Eagles this year?

Twice in football, I believe 4x in hockey, twice in basketball, soccer and the rest of the sports I believe outside of wrestling were all Wildcat wins. Odd year or are people worried? Flan had not lost to Ignatius in a playoff game ever until last year. I believe last year was also the first time Ignatius had beaten Ed's in a hockey playoff game too. Soccer had begun to even out under Coach Dore' but really regressed lately and returned to yearly beat downs. Football was embarrassed at the stadium but really played their best game in the playoffs, still wonder what could have been if Kramer didn't break his leg.
Not to worry...The Eagles just whupped the Wildcats on the hardcourt, 69-50, to take the district title!!!
Old 03-31-17, 05:17 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Chances of being drafted and round?? Anyone care to guess?
Orlowski in the second rounnd, no later than the third.
I can't imagine Kalis going any earlier than the fourth round. He just wasn't that good at Michigan.
Old 03-31-17, 05:25 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Anyone who wins a title has huge expectations the next season with the press. They played teams who were way more talented individually and returned more starters. Lombardo, in the next year or two, will be one of the best HS coaches in the nation. He won at the public and private level winning big games. He's about to get to the Steve Specht level of coaching. That's why everyone wants him!
Agreed, Lombardo is special. Specht is special also and I think that's the title game we'll see this November.
Old 03-31-17, 12:50 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I am from Erie, Pa and have been planning out my weeks 1-10 schedule of Ohio HS football games to go to watch schedule. I pretty much completed it. But am looking for some help/advice. Week 9 (assuming the times I read are accurate), StX plays Ignatius at Byers at 2:00, then Moeller plays St. Eds at 5:00 at First Fed. I went 2 years ago when they had the same doubleheader and loved it. But I also remember sitting in the crowd talking with an Eds fan and told him the route I took from Byers to Eds, which I don't remember what it was, and he said that was not a good choice and that there was a better/quicker way to go. So I just got on mapquest.com and there are 3 suggested routes to take:

1. Day Dr to Ridge Rd, to Denison Ave, to Lorain Ave/OH-10, to West Blvd, To I90-W Fwy, to W. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.
2. Day Dr. to Ridge Rd, to Snow Rd, to Hauserman Rd becomes Tiedeman Rd, to Memphis Ave becomes W. 117 St, to I90-W Fwy, to W. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.
3. Day Dr becomes Church Dr, to York Rd becomes Stumph Rd, becomes Chevrolet Blvd, to Brookpark Rd/OH-17, to W. 130 St., to West Ave, to w. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.

I would appreciate any input regarding the best/quickest route. Thanks.
Old 04-01-17, 07:32 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I am from Erie, Pa and have been planning out my weeks 1-10 schedule of Ohio HS football games to go to watch schedule. I pretty much completed it. But am looking for some help/advice. Week 9 (assuming the times I read are accurate), StX plays Ignatius at Byers at 2:00, then Moeller plays St. Eds at 5:00 at First Fed. I went 2 years ago when they had the same doubleheader and loved it. But I also remember sitting in the crowd talking with an Eds fan and told him the route I took from Byers to Eds, which I don't remember what it was, and he said that was not a good choice and that there was a better/quicker way to go. So I just got on mapquest.com and there are 3 suggested routes to take:

1. Day Dr to Ridge Rd, to Denison Ave, to Lorain Ave/OH-10, to West Blvd, To I90-W Fwy, to W. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.
2. Day Dr. to Ridge Rd, to Snow Rd, to Hauserman Rd becomes Tiedeman Rd, to Memphis Ave becomes W. 117 St, to I90-W Fwy, to W. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.
3. Day Dr becomes Church Dr, to York Rd becomes Stumph Rd, becomes Chevrolet Blvd, to Brookpark Rd/OH-17, to W. 130 St., to West Ave, to w. 140 St, to Bunts Rd.

I would appreciate any input regarding the best/quickest route. Thanks.
Ridge Road North
I-480 East
I-76 North
I-90 West
Exit at West 140th/Bunts Road head north (right off exit)
Lakewood HS/First Federal Stadium 2 miles on the left

Enjoy the HS football experience.

Go Eagles!
Old 04-01-17, 07:44 AM
All American

sehs
Slammer, you mean 176 North right? I76 doesn't run North or South.
Old 04-01-17, 09:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
Ridge Road North
I-480 East
I-76 North
I-90 West

Go Eagles!
Thanks for your help. But I do have a question. In none of the 3 options on map quest.com is I-480 ever listed. How far from Ridge Rd is I-480? Neither is I-76 mentioned. How far is I-76 from I-480? Wonder why none of the 3 routes suggested go that way. But that is definitely the best way to go?
Old 04-01-17, 06:37 PM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Not I-76. Either I-77 or SR 176. They run parallel and both get you to I-90 West.

More mileage but lots of highway/lack of lights.
Old 04-02-17, 07:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
Ridge Road North
I-480 East
*176 North (or Jennings Freeway)
I-90 West

Go Eagles!
*Amended.
Old 04-02-17, 07:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Slammer, you mean 176 North right? I76 doesn't run North or South.
My bad... yes.
Old 05-01-17, 07:38 PM
All American

sehs
Any schedule updates?
Old 05-02-17, 04:38 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
St. Edward 2017 updated 2/9
8/25 7:00 A Erie McDowell (PA) @ Gus Anderson Field
9/2 7:00 H Cleveland Glenville @ Lakewood Stadium
9/9 1:00 H Howard D. Woodson (DC) @ Lakewood Stadium
9/16 7:00 H Cincinnati Elder @ Bedford Bearcat Stadium
9/23 1:00 H Akron Buchtel @ Lakewood Stadium
9/30 1:00 A Naperville (IL) Central @ Memorial Stadium
10/7 1:00 A Cathedral (Indianapolis) @ Wally Potter Field at Howard Longshore Stadium (Arsenal Technical High School)
10/14 1:00 H Canada Prep Academy @ Lakewood Stadium
10/21 7:00 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller @ Lakewood Stadium
10/28 7:00 H Cleveland St. Ignatius @ Lakewood Stadium
The schedule. Though St. Edward's schedule is showing the Moeller game in Cincy currently. That does not sound right so I left it at Lakewood here for now. Elder game in Bedford, presumably because of Lakewood's annual battle of the bands.
Old 05-02-17, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Looks like Tyler Orlosky signed the Eagles and Kyle Kalis with the Redskins.
Old 05-02-17, 05:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The schedule. Though St. Edward's schedule is showing the Moeller game in Cincy currently. That does not sound right so I left it at Lakewood here for now. Elder game in Bedford, presumably because of Lakewood's annual battle of the bands.
Are you sure the Moeller game is at 7:00? I thought I read it was at 5:00. MaxPreps has it at 5:00. MaxPreps also has the game at Lakewood. I am pretty sure the game is is 5:00. This is the week that I want to see StX vs Ignatius at 2:00 at Byers, then hustle to Lakewood for Moeller at Eds at 5:00. Unless they changed the St. Eds game time to 7:00???

Last edited by bkmk1; 05-02-17 at 05:32 PM.