Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-05-17, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the Dolans. I was really worried after the proceeds of their sale of STO were squandered on Swisher and Bourne. I feared that they would instinctively revert to type as cheapskates. They have really committed to breaking out of that death spiral, in spite of a huge setback.

Maybe their best decision they made was letting Shapiro interview for a lateral move to Toronto ? I don't think it is a coincidence that the Indians ascendancy to the model mid-market franchise follows the promotions of Antonetti and Chernoff.

Thanks, gentlemen. The hope and joy are back at Carnegie and Ontario.

And don't get bullied off of Chief Wahoo.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the Dolans. I was really worried after the proceeds of their sale of STO were squandered on Swisher and Bourne. I feared that they would instinctively revert to type as cheapskates. They have really committed to breaking out of that death spiral, in spite of a huge setback.

Maybe their best decision they made was letting Shapiro interview for a lateral move to Toronto ? I don't think it is a coincidence that the Indians ascendancy to the model mid-market franchise follows the promotions of Antonetti and Chernoff.

Thanks, gentlemen. The hope and joy are back at Carnegie and Ontario.

And don't get bullied off of Chief Wahoo.
It's a little morbid, I guess, but there is some school of thought that the Dolan's are applying a bit more sense of urgency to building the team into a contender because of the father's advanced age. Regardless of the reason, they are ramping up the spending. I don't know if Shapiro's departure was the key moment. Antonetti and Chernoff were there all along (I would love to know if they signed-off on Swisher and Bourn).

Whatever the reasons, the moves they have made have, for the most part, clicked and the Logan signing is a great example of a value signing that will have a real impact on the bullpen. If Arias works out and can spell an over-used Bryan Shaw, this will be a fun year.

One thing Antonetti and Chernoff can't do is predict Michael Brantley's availability. If he comes back healthy, it makes for a good line-up becoming formidable. Not holding my breath, though.
Old 02-08-17, 12:53 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Another lefty in the pen,great addition...
Old 02-12-17, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Craziest signing of the off-season:

Indians sign Willy Mo Pena to minor league deal
I am pulling for this guy to have the kind of season to get him back in the major league.

I think he starts the season in Columbus and slowly starts playing good ball.
Old 02-12-17, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent16 View Post
willy moonshot and also acquired Carlos Frias from the dodgers.. Hope they add another lefty to to the pen
I hope he can make the roster out of spring training but I think he to starts out in Columbus.
Old 02-12-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Jesus Aguilar claimed by the Brewers.

I hate to see him go.
In listening to so many minor league games he had played in, he has become one of my favorite players.
Old 02-12-17, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Boone Logan. Another signing that could be a good one.
He has a chance to be very important in a quiet way, as far as stats goes.
Old 02-12-17, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

Luis Perez- I see him if he stays in the organization being in Akron or Columbus and not doing anything major.
Old 02-12-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Steven Delabar- Lighting in a bottle? A 4.07 major league ERA. He seems like a fill in player at the minor league level.
Old 02-12-17, 08:50 AM
All Yappi

Kelvin De La Cruz-I doubt he stays in the Cleveland family but if he does Maybe Akron to start.
Old 02-12-17, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

Austin Jackson- A back up in Columbus is my best guess.
Old 02-12-17, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Richie Shaffer-Most likely the starting first baseman in Columbus. A big drop from
Jesus Aguilar.
Old 02-12-17, 02:06 PM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
The Wily Mo Pena signing is interesting. He is the real life Pedro Cerrano. They should get him some "hats for bats" and maybe he can catch fire.
Old 02-25-17, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
First spring training game today in Goodyear. Ryan Merritt on the mound followed by many. The Indians' march to the World Series title starts with this one small step in sunny Arizona.

I hope the players are as hungry for the championship as I am. Go Tribe!!!! Unfinished business!!!!!!

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-28-17 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-25-17, 05:56 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Glad the season is here!
Old 02-26-17, 08:43 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Hoping #23 can make it back this year,it would make a HUGE difference.
Old 02-26-17, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
It'll be interesting to see how Encarnación signing is viewed in a couple years from the business side. Indians won then "doubled down" with a big signing. I'm sure ticket sales would've been strong even without that signing, but that signing certainly was received very positively by the fan base. Lower bowl already sold out for the summer weekend games. Big season ticket sales.
Old 02-26-17, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Encarnación signing is viewed in a couple years from the business side. Indians won then "doubled down" with a big signing. I'm sure ticket sales would've been strong even without that signing, but that signing certainly was received very positively by the fan base. Lower bowl already sold out for the summer weekend games. Big season ticket sales.
You can't think about it from a long term perspective. Indians have the talent to win now, so good for them to spend big and go for it. If Encarnacion helps them win the WS this year the rest of the contract doesn't even matter imo.
Old 02-27-17, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Hoping #23 can make it back this year,it would make a HUGE difference.

If Brantley can't go, don't be surprised if Yandy Diaz wins the job and makes it his own. This kid has hit a ton at every minor league level. Well over .300 with a line drive stroke that is starting to generate power. Doesn't strike out much. The only reason he isn't rated as a blue-chip prospect is because he wasn't widely known when the Tribe signed him out of Cuba. He hadn't made a huge impression in international competition, as Yoenis Cespedes or Yoan Moncada had.

Diaz started out as an infielder, and made the move to the outfield last year. He was a so-so third baseman with a strong arm. The Tribe brass moved him in hopes that he could make the majors as a utility man, if and when Brantley returns. With Jose Ramirez establishing himself at third base, Diaz won't play much there. Diaz is OK in the outfield, not great, but his bat is his calling card. He's a righhanded hitter, BTW. Diaz is 25 years old.

I'm starting to worry about Brantley. I hope he makes it back. But the fact that the organization is still taking baby steps with his shoulder and arm a year-plus later, I'm starting to have my doubts. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

For what it's worth: Diaz went 1-for-2 in Saturday's win over the Reds. The hit was a double.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-27-17 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-27-17, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
You can't think about it from a long term perspective. Indians have the talent to win now, so good for them to spend big and go for it. If Encarnacion helps them win the WS this year the rest of the contract doesn't even matter imo.
I think the Indians thought about this from a long-term perspective. Spending money to win now is a completely legitimate piece of the long-term puzzle. This was not a 1-year contract. This was a 3-year big $ deal. I would guess that the business side of the operation had data for management supporting how this signing would impact sales.

Further, even if the business side didn't participate in this signing, don't you think the Indians (and other teams) are going to run the numbers on how the Encarnación signing affected sales when teams are trying to determine if they can afford a high-priced free agent?
Old 02-27-17, 04:23 PM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
If Brantley can't go, don't be surprised if Yandy Diaz wins the job and makes it his own. This kid has hit a ton at every minor league level. Well over .300 with a line drive stroke that is starting to generate power. Doesn't strike out much. The only reason he isn't rated as a blue-chip prospect is because he wasn't widely known when the Tribe signed him out of Cuba. He hadn't made a huge impression in international competition, as Yoenis Cespedes or Yoan Moncada had.

Diaz started out as an infielder, and made the move to the outfield last year. He was a so-so third baseman with a strong arm. The Tribe brass moved him in hopes that he could make the majors as a utility man, if and when Brantley returns. With Jose Ramirez establishing himself at third base, Diaz won't play much there. Diaz is OK in the outfield, not great, but his bat is his calling card. He's a righhanded hitter, BTW. Diaz is 25 years old.

I'm starting to worry about Brantley. I hope he makes it back. But the fact that the organization is still taking baby steps with his shoulder and arm a year-plus later, I'm starting to have my doubts. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

For what it's worth: Diaz went 1-for-2 in Saturday's win over the Reds. The hit was a double.
I'm really hoping for Brantley to come back this year, I think everyone just rushed it last year.(Even though they all said they were going to take their time lol) I really like Yandy, my hope is that Dr Smooth is fine and Diaz takes RF away from Chiz.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-17, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
I'm really hoping for Brantley to come back this year, I think everyone just rushed it last year.(Even though they all said they were going to take their time lol) I really like Yandy, my hope is that Dr Smooth is fine and Diaz takes RF away from Chiz.

Brantley making a successful comeback and re-taking left field? Diaz taking over right field and booting Chizz to the bench? Works for me. That would be a best-case scenario at this point. Diaz was a third baseman, so he's probably got a strong enough arm for right field.
Old 02-28-17, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
The Wily Mo Pena signing is interesting. He is the real life Pedro Cerrano. They should get him some "hats for bats" and maybe he can catch fire.
I was at Progressive Field one day when Wily Mo hit a first-inning grand slam off Cliff Lee. Lee got ticked and went headhunting for Junior Griffey, who nearly charged the mound. Instead, Griffey homered on the next pitch.

But the Tribe came back to win, 10-7, on dingers by Omar Vizquel, Matt Lawton and Coco Crisp. Ah, memories.
Old 03-13-17, 07:22 AM
All Ohio

Kipnis not being ready for opening day hurts,mostly because Martinez will probably see the most playing time there. Hope Kip will get back soon.

Old 03-13-17, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Kipnis not being ready for opening day hurts,mostly because Martinez will probably see the most playing time there. Hope Kip will get back soon.

I'm not liking the sound of Kipnis' injury. I have a bad feeling it's something that is going to last longer then Opening Day.
Old 03-13-17, 03:08 PM
All Ohio

I'm trying not to think like that, but you could be right. One of the main reasons I'm more optimistic I guess is because there was no collision or atleast none reported. I'm hoping it's just something that time will help.

Old 03-13-17, 08:25 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Fingers crossed. I'm getting amp'd!
Old 03-14-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

The Indians' front office is being extra careful with Kipnis' injury. They don't want a repeat of 2014, when Kipnis played despite injuries that nagged him through the year, but batted a career-low .240. Supposedly, the MRI results are encouraging and he simply needs to rest and allow the rotator cuff to heal. He's been swinging the bat well and he hasn't had a problem throwing. It's just general soreness that's bothering him.
Old 03-14-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

Apparently, Tyler Naquin has been tearing the cover off the ball in Arizona. He's batting well over .300, and he's even getting hits off lefties. He smoked a double the other day off Giants' ace Madison Bumgarner. Naquin has five or six RBIs. I haven't heard yet if he's closed the hole in his swing for high heat.

I've also heard that Carlos Santana and Francisco Lindor have been red-hot for their respective countries in the WBC. Outfield prospects Greg Allen and Bradley Zimmer have been impressive. So was Yandy Diaz, until he got banged up. Diaz hasn't played for about a week. He hasn't looked good in the outfield, which will hurt his chances to make the team. I'd love to see his .300-plus bat in the lineup.

Lefty pitcher Andrew Miller has gotten knocked around a few times in the WBC. I'm not concerned...

Yet.
Old 03-16-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Indians blew a lead to Texas yesterday but Tribe bats continued to sizzle. Yan Gomes went 3-for-4 with a homer. That's a great sign. No one needs a bounce-back year any more than Gomes. Rookie outfielders Greg Allen and Bradley Zimmer both stayed hot. Zimmer leads the Tribe in spring RBIs (having Lindor and Santana playing in the WBC helps). If Zimmer continues to hit this way in Columbus, he could earn a mid-season call-up by the Tribe.

Rookie catcher Francisco Mejia was sent down to Akron, but batted well over .300 in Arizona. Mejia has developed into one of baseball's most highly-touted prospects. He's the kid who fashioned a 50-game hitting streak last year between Lake County and Lynchburg. Mejia batted .342 overall in 2016. He also threw out 43 percent on stolen base tries, an outstanding percentage. Mejia had bombed a couple of homers this spring. He's starting to grow into some power. Mejia hit 11 homers last year; it is his career high. He'd been more of a line-drive hitter his first few seasons. This kid will probably reach Cleveland sometime in 2018.

He's also one of the kids (outfield prospect Greg Allen is another) who were included in the erstwhile Jonathan Lucroy trade. This might turn out to be one of the greatest trades the Indians' front office never made. Mejia is an elite prospect; Allen is turning into a solid prospect with a big league future. And the other two kids, P Shawn Armstrong and SS Yu Chen, are also among the Tribe's top 10 prospects. Armstrong has a chance to win a spot in this year's bullpen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: