Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-02-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy72 View Post
How would an Avon win/loss against an out of state team impact the point system? This seems like a great opportunity (to travel to Florida and play) for those players, coaches and fans.
They will be assigned a Harbin value, based on their enrollment (using the Ohio formula), and I believe all of their opponents are assigned that same value...regardless of their actual enrollment size. Only their wins that occur between Ohio's Week 1-10 would count for Avon. If Avon loses to Merritt Island, none of it really matters.
Old 06-02-17, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I have Avon, Midview and Westlake as my top three.

Why would the SWC never take Lorain or Elyria? To me, that league would make sense for both schools, because they're closer geographically to Avon, Midview, North Ridgeville, Amherst etc.

I could see the Great Lakes Conference making a play to get Lakewood to replace whichever Parma school gets the ax.
Lakewood would never leave. They are in a great spot, considering they left the NOC for the WSC, and were almost league-less until the SWC included them in the expansion. The SWC is far more stable and desirable than the GCL.

Elyria has some fans among the SWC powers, but not enough to overcome the fears of demographics, sheer school size and the ability to dominate the SWC in some sports if their programs are playing to their potential.

Same with Lorain, to some extent, though Lorain likely has zero support within the SWC, mainly due to fear of the overall management of the district. Too bad, really, because with the coaches in place in football and basketball right now, Lorain will be good to great in the money sports. Once those coaches leave, though, it's a crap shoot.
Old 06-04-17, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEMF View Post
I wonder if you would see a bigger expansion if/when the Parma schools consolidate to make an all west side league

Big

Berea/Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma
Strongsville

Small

Amherst
Avon
Avon Lake
Midview
North Olmsted
North Ridgeville
Olmsted Falls
Westlake

I'm not sure Lakewood belongs in the big division, but it's all I could come up with now. Could do no crossovers for football or maybe one to help scheduling. Could be a single round robin in hoops which gives even more non-conference games. Golf, track, cross country, wrestling would have greater depth as well
I like it, but at that point, might as well just be two distinct leagues.
Old 06-09-17, 11:12 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Avon added Merritt Island Christian as their Week 1 game. MaxPreps has it as Merritt Island. Very different teams. MIC was 0-9 and likely D7. MIHS is likely D1 or 2 and was 7-3 last season.

I went with MIHS because Florida now uses MaxPreps as their official schedule keeper.
Old 06-09-17, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Avon added Merritt Island Christian as their Week 1 game. MaxPreps has it as Merritt Island. Very different teams. MIC was 0-9 and likely D7. MIHS is likely D1 or 2 and was 7-3 last season.

I went with MIHS because Florida now uses MaxPreps as their official schedule keeper.
Incorrect. Avon plays Merritt Island HS. They will classify as either D1 or D2 for Harbins. They are a perennial playoff team in Florida.
Old 07-20-17, 10:28 AM
Varsity

Hdog is on a distinguished road
How are the summer practices going for the SWC teams?

Very, very early take but the Titans look very solid on offense and a notch better on D than last year [cautiously optimistic]. I am hearing Amherst and Lakewood will have similar Pistol Wing T offenses to Olmsted Falls. Looking forward to Fridays this fall!
Old 08-08-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Here are the first previews I've seen of any of the SWC schools.

Avon:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...ul-season.html

Avon Lake:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/

Not sure what to expect from Avon Lake with the new coach, though Coach D got the program back on track before he retired again.

Avon plays so many kids during the season their starter numbers are misleading. They return a ton of experience and talent. They should win the SWC again, and hopefully avoid an early playoff exit...like last year's loss to the Shoremen.

I'll post more as I see them.
Old 08-09-17, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

Probably the second or third place team this year, Olmsted Falls:

The other second or third place team, Midview:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...ectations.html
Old 08-10-17, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

Another Avon preview:

And North Ridgeville:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...end-again.html
Old 08-10-17, 09:57 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the links, cjb56
Old 08-12-17, 05:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk85 View Post
Looks like Lakewood cancelled the Freshman football season.
Sad that a school that size cannot support freshman football. Quite honestly, I would like to see Lakewood head to the Great Lakes with the three Parma schools, Elyria Catholic, Bay, Rocky River and Holy Name. The SWC could simply stay at nine and open up a much needed non league games in all sports, especially football.
Old 08-13-17, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

An Avon Lake preview:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...xperience.html

How have the SWC teams done in their scrimmages? Avon did very well against Massillon and could have named the score against Elyria, even with some key starters sitting out to give some others some valuable experience. That is something I really like about Coach Elder. He makes sure the depth is always tested in scrimmages and games...even big games...so the next man up usually has some solid experience if called upon. Some will claim that's easy for Avon to do with 100 boys on the 10-12, but the reason they have 100 kids on the 10-12 roster is because they all know they have a real shot at playing time in their careers if they stick with the program.
Old 08-14-17, 07:09 AM
Junior Varsity

MY BALL is on a distinguished road
Here is an article about Amherst scrimmage against Lorain. Amherst looks improved but depth may be a concern.

http://www.morningjournal.com/sports...s-in-scrimmage

Heard Lakewood doesn't have enough players to field separate 7th and 8th grade teams so will combine to play the 8th grade schedule.

Last edited by MY BALL; 08-14-17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 07:19 AM
Junior Varsity

Amherst preview:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...gs-around.html

Also WEOL radio had preview show with head coaches last night. Should be able to find interviews with a bunch of SWC coaches.
Old 08-15-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Amherst will be interesting. They have young talent that will now be upper classmen. This could be the year they jump back to above .500 and next year actually push for a playoff spot.
Old 08-17-17, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

More Midview:

Old 08-19-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

SWC Week 1...sadly, the only week outside Harbin's are possible, so it's important the SWC does well.

All teams are 0-0, of course. SWC teams underlined, and winners in bold.

Clearview (D4) at Amherst (D2) -- Clearview will battle, but Amherst will be too much for the Clippers and pull away for a relatively easy win.

Avon (D2) vs Merritt Island, FL (either D1 or 2 for Harbin's) at DisneyWorld -- Toss-up. Two consistent playoff teams in their states. I'll go homer and pick Avon.

Elyria (D1) at Avon Lake (D2) -- Avon Lake is young, but I think they have enough to beat the Pioneers at home.

Strongsville (D1) at Berea-Midpark (D1) -- Strongsville's young kids are poised to breakout this season, and do it right away with a win over the Titans.

Lakewood (D2) at Medina (D1) -- Medina lost a lot from last year's playoff team, but can still name their score against Lakewood.

Midview (D2) at Lorain (D1) -- Very tough call, as both should be playoff teams and both return a very solid core of starters. I'll take Lorain, simply due to Midview playing their first game in forever without Dustin Crum at QB. Will not be surprised by a Middies win, though.

North Olmsted (D2) at Valley Forge (D2) -- The Eagles should open with a win in Parma.

North Royalton (D2) at North Ridgeville (D2) -- Should be a close game, but the Ridgeville rushing attack should help the Rangers grind out the win.

Olmsted Falls (D2) at Brecksville (D2) -- Falls will be good, but I think the Bees have too much for them in the opener. By the end of the season I think Falls would have a better shot, as they will have adjusted to life without Linville.

Eastlake North (D2) at Westlake (D2) -- Westlake should be solid, and North is just average.
Old 08-22-17, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

A complete SWC preview:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...yoff-momentum/

Nice job by Matt Goul.

Some individual team previews...

North Olmsted:

http://www.morningjournal.com/sports...7-team-capsule

North Ridgeville:

Olmsted Falls:

Westlake:

Midview:

Avon Lake:

Old 08-22-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

Two more Avon previews:

http://www.neosportsinsiders.com/tou...tivation-2017/

http://www.morningjournal.com/articl...ORTS/170829840
Old 08-23-17, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

An Amherst preview:

http://www.morningjournal.com/sports...7-team-preview
Old 08-23-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

My SWC predictions for this season.

1. Avon (10-0/9-0) -- playoffs
2. Midview (8-2/8-1) -- playoffs
3. Olmsted Falls (7-3/7-2) -- playoffs
4. Avon Lake (7-3/6-3) -- possible playoff team
5. Amherst (6-4/5-4) -- possible playoff team
6. North Ridgeville (5-5/4-5)
7. Westlake (4-6/3-6)
8. North Olmsted (3-7/2-7)
9. Berea-Midpark (1-9/1-8)
10. Lakewood (0-10/0-9)

Last edited by cjb56; 08-23-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 01:26 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Consider revising
Old 08-23-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Consider revising
Done. I left out North Olmsted in the original predictions, by mistake.

Otherwise, the games between 4-9 are all relative toss-ups and no result would surprise me in their games. Lakewood is the only sure thing at the bottom. Midview and Falls are interchangeable, and both could win their Week 1 games.
Old 08-24-17, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

Avon gets the SWC off to a nice start with a hard 20-16 comeback win over Merritt Island (FL) in Orlando. The Mustangs have made the Florida playoffs nine straight seasons, have three state titles in their history, and should give Avon a nice haul of Harbin's, as their enrollment classifies them D1 in Ohio and they are typically good for seven or eight wins. Avon started slow and trailed 9-0 at the half. The travel was a factor. It was hot and humid, but Avon had no conditioning issues. Nice way to start the season and bring the SWC a win.
Old 08-25-17, 07:19 AM
Junior Varsity

Avon has built quite a program that just reloads every year. Watched their scrimmage against Massillon, and their offense is going to be very tough to stop when it is firing on all cylinders. This conference is tough and will be interesting to see how Midview, Avon Lake and O Falls play. Those are quality teams that can beat anyone on any given night.

Hope your prediction is correct about Amherst. They came out and looked very good at the beginning of the scrimmage against Lorain. Their next scrimmage at Bay they were down 14-7 at the half while teams were playing their starters. Hopefully it was because they were just flat as a team, but the o-line did not play well as a whole.
Old 08-25-17, 08:32 AM
All District

poursomebrewonit is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what the Avon Freshmen and JV teams are doing this week? I'm assuming they aren't playing Merrit Island but I don't know.
Old 08-25-17, 09:55 AM
All District

avonathlete is on a distinguished road
Freshman team lost to Uniontown. JV team is playing a team from Illinois here in Florida. I will post score when I hear it.
Old 08-25-17, 11:14 AM
All District

avonathlete is on a distinguished road
Avons jv won 35-6
Old 08-26-17, 08:16 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Three big games in the conference this season, with the Avon-Falls-Midview round robin. Game one is this coming Friday as Avon travels to Falls.

Amherst might be the real spoiler threat in this league this season, and while Avon Lake probably will drop off from last season, you can't sleep on them, either.

Obviously three big wins for each of the top three teams the past couple days, with each coming from behind in the second half to defeat solid opponents. Midview probably with the most confidence-boosting win after Higley showed that he can be an adequate replacement for Dustin Crum
Old 08-26-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Three big games in the conference this season, with the Avon-Falls-Midview round robin. Game one is this coming Friday as Avon travels to Falls.

Amherst might be the real spoiler threat in this league this season, and while Avon Lake probably will drop off from last season, you can't sleep on them, either.

Obviously three big wins for each of the top three teams the past couple days, with each coming from behind in the second half to defeat solid opponents. Midview probably with the most confidence-boosting win after Higley showed that he can be an adequate replacement for Dustin Crum
Yes...Avon, Olmsted Falls and Midview all scored comeback wins over high quality opponents. All three showed they were capable of replacing some big weapons lost to graduation. The mark of a true program.

The round-robin between Avon, Olmsted Falls and Midview should decide the champ and playoff pecking order, but no team should feel safe on any night in the SWC. All wins must be earned.

Avon Lake got the win over a banged up Elyria team, and North Olmsted crushed Valley Forge. Good wins, but not great. Amherst, even though the win was over D4 Clearview, got a big win. Why? Because they are young and need to learn how to win games, which is no easy task in the SWC, so handling Clearview was a step in the right direction.

North Ridgeville lost a see-saw game between two middling teams in their leagues. Same with Berea-Midpark, who needs to learn to play some D.

Lakewood showed some grit in hanging with Medina. Westlake getting beatdown by Eastlake North was the most disappointing score of the night.

A special congrats to former Avon QB Ryan O'Rourke, who took over Firelands from the PAC in March, converted them from Wing T to the Avon offense...and went into Milan and shocked last year's state semi-finalist Edison in his head coaching debut. Perhaps we will see him coaching a SWC team sometime down the road?

Week 2 in the season and Week 1 of SWC play already on tap! Winners in bold.

Amherst (1-0) at Lakewood (0-1) -- The young Comets move to 2-0 with a win at Lakewood.

Avon (1-0) at Olmsted Falls (1-0) -- The big one. Two teams coming off emotional wins. Falls will be tough as nails, but Avon's diversity on offense will get a hard-fought win.

Avon Lake (1-0) at North Olmsted (1-0) -- Someone gets tagged with their first loss, and it will be the Eagles, though it should be close.

Berea-Midpark (0-1) at Westlake (0-1) -- The Titans high-powered offense will score enough to slay the Demons.

North Ridgeville (0-1) at Midview (1-0) -- Two old rivals, so there will be hitting, but the Middies are not going to stumble here.