Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-20-19, 06:35 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
You will primarily see this kick in during the first games of the tourney, typically on the girls side....



It was sorely needed
I agree it was definitely needed for the girls side where it'snothing to see a 80-10 first round game. There is a huge disparity between the have's and have nots. Boys side can be really bad in the first round and 2nd round even, but definitely not as disgusting as the girls.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-20-19, 06:46 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
CYO uses it for regular season and playoffs. Son's 8th grade team has been on both sides of it this year. Down 30+ this weekend, the team we were playing was still pushing the ball up court every possession and shooting 3's too.
To the guy that commented earlier about how horrible this is for the bench players is missing this very point and doesn't realize the huge disparity you will find in basketball games, particularly early tournament games where bad mismatches are an inevitability. The winning team can clear their bench and the score still continue to run up. You think bench players don't want to score? Having the bench out there doesn't always help even out the contest, even against the worse team's starters.

The running clock is just fine. When it happens it's always makes everyone involved happy, players, coaches, fans and refs alike, from 1st grade to 12th grade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-20-19, 09:45 PM
Pickeringtonsports Pickeringtonsports is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 300
Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
To the guy that commented earlier about how horrible this is for the bench players is missing this very point and doesn't realize the huge disparity you will find in basketball games, particularly early tournament games where bad mismatches are an inevitability. The winning team can clear their bench and the score still continue to run up. You think bench players don't want to score? Having the bench out there doesn't always help even out the contest, even against the worse team's starters.

The running clock is just fine. When it happens it's always makes everyone involved happy, players, coaches, fans and refs alike, from 1st grade to 12th grade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Maybe our town is unique then because I donít know anyone who likes the rolling clock other than the refs. These kids train all year to play not to stand on the sidelines. In the case of really lopsided games, does it matter that you lost by 40 rather than 60? It seems more humiliating that the rules had to be changed to minimize the score differential. I can somewhat understand the concept in football because safety could be an issue but basketball isnít any more physically dangerous in a mismatch.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-21-19, 12:17 AM
CedarBuck92 CedarBuck92 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-18
Posts: 13
CedarBuck92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the case of really lopsided games, does it matter that you lost by 40 rather than 60?
I think it depends on how the winning team handles it. Are they pressing and pushing the ball up the court all game? Are they shooting 3's just to make the score more lopsided?

Or is the winning team playing half court defense and walking the ball up the court. Has the coach told his kids to stop shooting 3's and work the ball in?

If we lose by 60 and it is obvious the coach is trying to be a good sport then there is no difference. But if the opposing coach refuses to take his starters out and is obviously trying to embarrass you that's when things get chippy and people get hurt.

Watched a game last weekend where the winning coach had all his starters in with under 2 left up by 20. He was still trying to get his star player a dunk or 2 and things did get chippy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-21-19, 01:24 AM
1 time 1 time is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-20-18
Posts: 273
1 time is on a distinguished road
Mommy and daddy when it’s a 35 point game it’s time to go home and work your kids to get better. Sorry 5th and 6th grade level means nothing at the varsity level.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-21-19, 11:44 AM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
Mommy and daddy when itís a 35 point game itís time to go home and work your kids to get better. Sorry 5th and 6th grade level means nothing at the varsity level.
Time for the 35 pt. loosers to get a hug,participation award ,and a brownie.Never should have been their anyway
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-21-19, 11:47 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Time for the 35 pt. loosers to get a hug,participation award ,and a brownie.Never should have been their anyway
So by attempting the get a severely lopsided game over with as quickly as possible we are handing out awards to the losers? Then you somehow hypocritically add at the end that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Isn't that more of an reason to end the game as quickly as possible???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-21-19, 12:06 PM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
So by attempting the get a severely lopsided game over with as quickly as possible we are handing out awards to the losers? Then you somehow hypocritically add at the end that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Isn't that more of an reason to end the game as quickly as possible???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have no control over who makes the playoff.Everyone I might add.A running clock that shortens the game takes away from underclassmen maybe getting some PT. I only reference the participation award as a tongue in cheek response to teams who have no chance from the first tip.The field should be reduced in my opinion.Hypocrite? Really? Out of a small comment.You really read way to much into nothing but whatever.Just in case for clarification sake....the non running clock for underclassmen PT. is me just looking for some benefit to getting boat raced in a game your school had no realistic chance in.Did this happen to your school?

Last edited by James x2; 02-21-19 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-21-19, 12:31 PM
JElder JElder is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-30-02
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,678
JElder is on a distinguished road
The following are scores from just D4 girls in SWO through 2 rounds:

56 - 19
69-27
65-29
62-26
77-8
55-13
40-12
63-26
56-4 YES 56-4
62-23
52-7
87-17
84-12
50-18

So out of 24 games 14 needed running clock.. Running clock is the best decision the state has enforced in years.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-21-19, 01:38 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
I have no control over who makes the playoff.Everyone I might add.A running clock that shortens the game takes away from underclassmen maybe getting some PT. I only reference the participation award as a tongue in cheek response to teams who have no chance from the first tip.The field should be reduced in my opinion.Hypocrite? Really? Out of a small comment.You really read way to much into nothing but whatever.Just in case for clarification sake....the non running clock for underclassmen PT. is me just looking for some benefit to getting boat raced in a game your school had no realistic chance in.Did this happen to your school?
It's not fair to the bench players? Using your same logic could I then respond to that criticism by saying those players need to work harder and get better so they aren't on the bench in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-21-19, 01:52 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
The following are scores from just D4 girls in SWO through 2 rounds:

56 - 19
69-27
65-29
62-26
77-8
55-13
40-12
63-26
56-4 YES 56-4
62-23
52-7
87-17
84-12
50-18

So out of 24 games 14 needed running clock.. Running clock is the best decision the state has enforced in years.
And those were scores with the running clock.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-21-19, 01:56 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,472
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
This is such a terrible rule. Sports are meant to teach lessons. What kind of weak lesson are we teaching if we give the losing team breaks like this? They need to understand that there are winners and losers in life and if they do not work at their sport they will continually be the loser.
I understand it in football with how physical the game is and the possibility of injury is much worse, and in baseball to save pitching arms in a blowout and with an infinite amount of time a game can last, but for basketball I just don't see it being needed.

Maybe some hoops coaches need a lesson in sportsmanship if they are still pressing while up 30 plus. In baseball, coaches will routinely halt baserunners from taking bases/homeplate when they are up big.

I honestly didn't know it was a rule. I hadn't followed HS hoops in awhile and just now getting back into it at the JH level with the boy.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-21-19, 02:21 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Maybe some hoops coaches need a lesson in sportsmanship if they are still pressing while up 30 plus. In baseball, coaches will routinely halt baserunners from taking bases/homeplate when they are up big.
Easier to go station to station in Baseball versus not trying to score in Basketball. While the premise is the same, the nature of each game is different.

Trust me, having worked my share of those 56-6 (and worse) games.... The clock is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-21-19, 02:37 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Easier to go station to station in Baseball versus not trying to score in Basketball. While the premise is the same, the nature of each game is different.



Trust me, having worked my share of those 56-6 (and worse) games.... The clock is needed.
Exactly. I had an 8th grade team this winter that won a game 80-6. The fact that the team even scored was lucky. Both baskets were heaved up 3s from damn near half court. There was zero we could have done to keep that score respectable outside of not play the game at all. I even threw my 3rd grade son on the court and he got 2 baskets, a free throw and a handful of steals. That score was with a running clock that began at 25 or 30, I can't remember. The only way we could have stopped scoring is if I literally told my team to not shoot anymore after the 1st quarter.

I know that is an extreme case and not high school, but the premise is still applies. Sometimes the talent discrepancy is so wide that it doesn't matter if benches are cleared and pressing is stopped. As you go up in age the huge talent gaps get less frequent but its can still be huge in high school. Look at the first couple rounds of playoff games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-21-19, 11:22 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 635
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Exactly. I had an 8th grade team this winter that won a game 80-6. The fact that the team even scored was lucky. Both baskets were heaved up 3s from damn near half court. There was zero we could have done to keep that score respectable outside of not play the game at all. I even threw my 3rd grade son on the court and he got 2 baskets, a free throw and a handful of steals. That score was with a running clock that began at 25 or 30, I can't remember. The only way we could have stopped scoring is if I literally told my team to not shoot anymore after the 1st quarter.

I know that is an extreme case and not high school, but the premise is still applies. Sometimes the talent discrepancy is so wide that it doesn't matter if benches are cleared and pressing is stopped. As you go up in age the huge talent gaps get less frequent but its can still be huge in high school. Look at the first couple rounds of playoff games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I remember my father having some games like that when he was coaching at lower levels and he used to "take the dribble away." No one was allowed to dribble anywhere on the court, with one exception--you could take one dribble to get to the basket for an unopposed layup.

Sometimes that doesn't work either, but it's a thought if that ever happens again with your 8th graders.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-21-19, 11:37 PM
nwwarrior09 nwwarrior09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Springfield/Dayton
Posts: 7,164
nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
This was badly needed on the girls side at the sectional level. As noted above, the first couple rounds there's usually a huge gap between the haves and the have nots. Dayton area the last couple days I've seen scores of 78-8 and 61-4 with a running clock in play. By conventional rules it would be common around here to see girls teams get whacked by 60, 70 and even 80 points in the first couple rounds, regardless of strategy, clearing the bench, etc. The bad teams are just so weak at dribbling and passing against any degree of pressure, sprinting back on defense, etc. that the bench and even JV players from the good teams would run it up on them without intending to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-22-19, 07:54 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 1,087
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
How does a running clock help when you see a score tonight of Pick Central girls beating Hamilton Twp 79 to 13 in the 3rd quarter?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-22-19, 08:41 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
How does a running clock help when you see a score tonight of Pick Central girls beating Hamilton Twp 79 to 13 in the 3rd quarter?
It will get the game over quicker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-22-19, 11:43 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,439
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I even threw my 3rd grade son on the court and he got 2 baskets, a free throw and a handful of steals.
You put your 3rd grade son in against 8th graders? You disrespected the other team AND disregarded his safety. Great job.

Then you post his stats Very impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-23-19, 01:55 AM
1 time 1 time is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-20-18
Posts: 273
1 time is on a distinguished road
Anyone who thinks running clock is bad has no clue. Until parents get their kids off the cell phones and start working on their game by themselves in the off season, nothing will change at MANY schools. It’s not the coach, it’s not AAU, it’s about working when nobody else is around. Getting good is lonely ,when nobody else is a round. only the best do this.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-23-19, 06:56 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
You put your 3rd grade son in against 8th graders? You disrespected the other team AND disregarded his safety. Great job.



Then you post his stats Very impressive.
Yep, it was that bad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-23-19, 08:26 AM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
It's not fair to the bench players? Using your same logic could I then respond to that criticism by saying those players need to work harder and get better so they aren't on the bench in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Not having a running clock is good for the bench players because it gives them a chance to get some playing time.THAT IS THE ONLY BENEFIT.If they need to work harder so as to not being on the bench in the first place im 100% IN AGREEMENT with that.Sometimes kids can work their tails off but just don't have the skill.Ever see a golfer who practices endlessly but still sucks?I have many times.My original comment was just taking A POKE AT THE ENTITLEMENT CROWD.Of which im not a member of.That is why my first comment was about hugs ,brownies, and participation awards.What exactly is your stance ? We may be in agreement here.I feel that teams that get boat raced shouldn't be in the tournament but I'm just looking for a positive benefit to an otherwise lopsided game.If there is one

Last edited by James x2; 02-23-19 at 08:37 AM. Reason: ADD
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-23-19, 09:13 AM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Exactly. I had an 8th grade team this winter that won a game 80-6. The fact that the team even scored was lucky. Both baskets were heaved up 3s from damn near half court. There was zero we could have done to keep that score respectable outside of not play the game at all. I even threw my 3rd grade son on the court and he got 2 baskets, a free throw and a handful of steals. That score was with a running clock that began at 25 or 30, I can't remember. The only way we could have stopped scoring is if I literally told my team to not shoot anymore after the 1st quarter.

I know that is an extreme case and not high school, but the premise is still applies. Sometimes the talent discrepancy is so wide that it doesn't matter if benches are cleared and pressing is stopped. As you go up in age the huge talent gaps get less frequent but its can still be huge in high school. Look at the first couple rounds of playoff games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
After reading this I think we are in agreement .But I'm surprised that in my effort to find something positive in an unfortunate situation that you would get bent over my suggestion(maybe giving a bench warmer some court time in a blow out).Also surprised my obvious sarcasm went right over your head.I went back and read your prior posts on this thread and I know were you stand.If your coaching youth basketball, also surprised that while your point is valid and I agree with you that the running clock is good that you have so much trouble just hearing a potential benefit in an obvious beatdown.Coaches who deal with kids should be even keeled and open minded. The key word here is MAYBE.Maybe no running clock for the bench to get on the court.Not definitely.Totally fine with this rule and certainly not arguing against it.Just offering up another angle to consider thats all.

Last edited by James x2; 02-23-19 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-23-19, 09:22 AM
Pickeringtonsports Pickeringtonsports is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 300
Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Exactly. I had an 8th grade team this winter that won a game 80-6. The fact that the team even scored was lucky. Both baskets were heaved up 3s from damn near half court. There was zero we could have done to keep that score respectable outside of not play the game at all. I even threw my 3rd grade son on the court and he got 2 baskets, a free throw and a handful of steals. That score was with a running clock that began at 25 or 30, I can't remember. The only way we could have stopped scoring is if I literally told my team to not shoot anymore after the 1st quarter.

I know that is an extreme case and not high school, but the premise is still applies. Sometimes the talent discrepancy is so wide that it doesn't matter if benches are cleared and pressing is stopped. As you go up in age the huge talent gaps get less frequent but its can still be huge in high school. Look at the first couple rounds of playoff games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
My son played for the Pickerington Ridgeview 8th grade team. If there was a rolling clock rule, 17 of their 22 games would have been rolling. Over the past two years, 35 of their 39 games would have had a rolling clock and 11 of their 14 football games did have a rolling clock. If we are so concerned about mismatches then why even play the game in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-23-19, 11:52 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeringtonsports View Post
My son played for the Pickerington Ridgeview 8th grade team. If there was a rolling clock rule, 17 of their 22 games would have been rolling. Over the past two years, 35 of their 39 games would have had a rolling clock and 11 of their 14 football games did have a rolling clock. If we are so concerned about mismatches then why even play the game in the first place.
Because if you told people in Ohio every team won't make the playoffs they would lose their @$%#. Wanna see? Go start a new thread titled "Change the Playoffs So Not All Teams Play", then sit back and watch the fireworks. So instead we are forced into severely lopsided early round games with teams that have no business facing off against each other. The running clock is an attempt to get them over as quickly as possible. I would believe the reason it's just for the playoffs is because these teams have no choice but to play these games, where as during the regular season you have more control over who you play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Philly_Cat; 02-23-19 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-23-19, 12:07 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
After reading this I think we are in agreement .But I'm surprised that in my effort to find something positive in an unfortunate situation that you would get bent over my suggestion(maybe giving a bench warmer some court time in a blow out).Also surprised my obvious sarcasm went right over your head.I went back and read your prior posts on this thread and I know were you stand.If your coaching youth basketball, also surprised that while your point is valid and I agree with you that the running clock is good that you have so much trouble just hearing a potential benefit in an obvious beatdown.Coaches who deal with kids should be even keeled and open minded. The key word here is MAYBE.Maybe no running clock for the bench to get on the court.Not definitely.Totally fine with this rule and certainly not arguing against it.Just offering up another angle to consider thats all.
If you're up by 35 in the 2nd half and your bench players haven't seen playing time yet then theres a problem already, and it's not the running clock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-23-19, 12:28 PM
1 time 1 time is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-20-18
Posts: 273
1 time is on a distinguished road
Lol. And nobody comments on my “ go work your butts off “ in off season. If You’re not playing or you’re team is getting smacked most nights. Go to WORK. Get some teammates off their phonesband go to WORK. Worst basketball I’ve seen over the last 3-4 years and it’s in ALL areas. Go to WORK kids, some of your games are really,really bad.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-23-19, 01:57 PM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Captain Obvious....ya think?????

[QUOTE=Philly_Cat;7261271]If you're up by 35 in the 2nd half and your bench players haven't seen playing time yet then theres a problem already, and it's not the running clock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE Gave you a straight up comment looking at both sides of the coin.Goes over your head.I get sarcastic and it goes over your head.I agree with you and you don't acknowledge it because somehow you like to argue with someone who basically shares the same viewpoint.Whatever gets you through the day.Argumentive ,angry,simple minded.Whatever works for you.Maybe you should not coach kids?Flame on .Maybe that will make you happy You will get respect when you give it.Did I mention that I'm not part of the Entitlement crowd.Im old school.My Dad took me out to a dirt,rock filled baseball field and pounded balls at me at 3rd base to cure me of being scared of the baseball.Made me into a travelling all star baseball player at 3rd base.I was not part of the cellphone crowd.They didn't exist in my youth.I worked.Preaching to the choir about working for playing time.Old School.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-23-19, 02:46 PM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Location: Over there
Posts: 819
James x2 is on a distinguished road
In my experiences playing sports as a youth there were slackers who might have played more if they gave some effort.And some that never left the bench unless the game was over one way or the other. Because they tried hard but just did not posses the needed skill.Just don't put all kids in the slacker category unless you know for a fact that they could be better but lack focus and effort.Unfair to the kids who would love to be better but don't have it.Maybe just want to belong to a sport.That was my basic message about the lack of a running clock for the bench warmers.They could keep the running clock and it is fine with me.

Last edited by James x2; 02-23-19 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-23-19, 10:25 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 635
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
I've sat through three of these and in every case the winning team left their full-court press on throughout and still had starters on the floor when the game ended. Two years ago I watched Taft beat Taylor 99-46 and five of their players still hadn't taken off their sweats when the final whistle blew. The last two years it was Hughes--they were up 48 tonight early in the fourth and three starters were still on the floor.

I guess my question is, would this be any different without the running clock? If a coach had any interest in playing his bench players or calling off his press and practicing some half-court defense, don't you think he could safely do so up 60-12 with less than a quarter to play?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running clock Curious One Football 2 10-27-18 04:15 PM
"No" to the shot clock in HS basketball Yappi Boys Basketball 355 10-22-18 08:24 PM
Stop the running clock candoattitude Football 132 08-11-18 03:40 PM
Everybody getting excited for Friday only Playoffs? James x2 Football 92 11-04-17 08:59 AM
running clock gamblingfool Football 5 11-03-17 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz