Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-19, 01:40 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
When I use to go to all the games I always stayed at a B&B in Winesburg Ohio about a half hour from Massillon or Canton I watch football and my wife shopped in the Amish country and we were both happy. Back in those days there was a good group of all gamers. Made freinds and look forward to seeing them each year. Now only go one day and not nearly as much fun, 6 plus hours of drive and three games at my age makes for a long day.
The cadre of "all gamers" is getting too old to keep doing what they used to do. They have been replaced with a new generation of " Everything has to be convenient to me" crowd, who can't be bothered with anything that can't be accessed immediately. Face it, other than a couple MAC schools which appear yearly, how many times has your school been to the championship game ? Chances are very good that it is a rarity. So, if you can't muster up going to one game every few years ( or ,in some cases, every few decades), then go ahead and sit behind your computer and complain. You are not a fan.

Last edited by tom 48; 02-22-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 02:02 PM
Junior Varsity

generalisimo is on a distinguished road
Well said, Tom 48, I guess that a better idea for the championship games is to build a virtual stadium across the street from every house in Ohio and air the games whenever people can get around to watching them. Heaven forbid I would have to make some sort of effort. As far as the distance traveling, I'm sorry but life isn't always fair.
Old 02-22-19, 02:11 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
The cadre of "all gamers" is getting too old to keep doing what they used to do. They have been replaced with a new generation of " Everything has to be convenient to me" crowd, who can't be bothered with ianything that can't be accessed immediately. Face it, other than a couple MAC schools which appear yearly, how many times has your school been to the championship game ? Chances are very good that it is a rarity. So, if you can't muster up going to one game every few years ( or ,in some cases, every few decades), then go ahead and sit behind your computer and complain. You are not a fan.
But I guess that's the point. How many were attending all 7?or even 6 of 7? Maybe a couple hundred?

Other states stopped caring about them long ago. Ohio still tries to schedule and sell tickets like there's this huge swarm of fans that will go to every game. They force a 100,000 seat stadium to be cleared between games and someone wanting to see the next needs a new ticket. And scheduling games far enough apart to accomplish that.

Other states just make it one ticket for the day and if a few people want to stay to watch the next to stay all day they don't really care.

But oddly, selling the all-day for the price of one game does help draw fans to maybe go to all of them.

Michigan has 4 games in one day for $10. 8 games for $20.and the majority of the fans are just going to leave once their game is over. But some might stick around to see a the next before heading out. Some might show up early to catch the end of the previous game.

But Ohio is insistent on making sure nobody sees a game without a ticket to it. Which makes any effort to attend either be expensive, time consuming, or just a hassle not worth exploring.

In Texas they'll play 3 games a day starting at 11am and have about 45 minutes between games. Tickets are $15. Last game usually ends around 10-11pm. Texas also has much longer halftime. 27 minutes.
Old 02-22-19, 02:24 PM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Some on Yappi (like queenbuckeye) say fans like you are irrelevant or don't exist. She says you are a "windowless van driver" ? But I have met many like you. Benson is an awesome venue. Its amazing you can drive that far LOL
All ANYBODY says it is unfair for SEO teams to have to drive to Canton every year and that Columbus, all things being equal, is a fairer alternative. They showed that the numbers are about the same. They showed they could do it. Heck, even Canton now does one stadium so that B.S. argument held up for so long is out as well. And in point of fact, more of the players would prefer to play in the Shoe vs. whatever that thing is in Canton.

As the OHSAA has now shown, all they care about is how low a bid they can get. That's it - it's that simple. As long as the OHSAA takes that short-sighted (in my opinion) position, unless OSU lowers their bid to a competitive level (or bribes the OHSAA members with more stuff than Canton does), it will probably stay in Canton.

Everything else you (or anybody else from NEO says) about the situation is complete and utter B.S.
Old 02-22-19, 02:25 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Comparing Texas to Ohio is an apples to oranges scenario. The financial structure for each is nowhere near the same.
Old 02-22-19, 02:38 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
All ANYBODY says it is unfair for SEO teams to have to drive to Canton every year and that Columbus, all things being equal, is a fairer alternative. They showed that the numbers are about the same. They showed they could do it. Heck, even Canton now does one stadium so that B.S. argument held up for so long is out as well. And in point of fact, more of the players would prefer to play in the Shoe vs. whatever that thing is in Canton.

As the OHSAA has now shown, all they care about is how low a bid they can get. That's it - it's that simple. As long as the OHSAA takes that short-sighted (in my opinion) position, unless OSU lowers their bid to a competitive level (or bribes the OHSAA members with more stuff than Canton does), it will probably stay in Canton.

Everything else you (or anybody else from NEO says) about the situation is complete and utter B.S.
That, and the fact that OSU doesn't want the games. Your side conveniently forgets to mention that. All anybody on both sides can do is come up with the same tired arguments., but the fact is that the almighty Ohio State University is not interested in hosting, especially on the weekend of their league championship games. So, take your tired hate and channel it into more productive endeavors, such as finding an alternative to Canton that is air to everyone. But then, claiming conspiracy is much easier and ( dare I say)- a complete load of BS.
Old 02-22-19, 02:45 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Comparing Texas to Ohio is an apples to oranges scenario. The financial structure for each is nowhere near the same.
But Texas is a state that could probably get away with individual tickets to each game but just charges one price for the day.

Most other states do, too. Very few have multiple games (more than 2) in a day and charge for separate tickets
Old 02-22-19, 02:58 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
But Texas is a state that could probably get away with individual tickets to each game but just charges one price for the day.

Most other states do, too. Very few have multiple games (more than 2) in a day and charge for separate tickets
They don't need to charge as Ohio does.....

The UIL gets about 15% of their revenues from membership fees/dues. (more than $1.5 million) About 60% of their revenues come from ticket sales.

OHSAA charges no fees/dues to their member schools and 78% of their revenue comes from ticket sales.
Old 02-22-19, 03:10 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That, and the fact that OSU doesn't want the games.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. Well, that’s not really true, as my team has made several trips to the finals, and I prefer Columbus. However, I understand that’s not always realistic. So, my question: do you or does anyone have a link showing where OSU says it ‘doesn’t want the games’? I’ve heard that over and over but haven’t seen definitive proof.
Old 02-22-19, 03:18 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
I can’t believe people still have the energy to do the same recycled arguments as were happening 15 years ago on these forums.
Old 02-22-19, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
That, and the fact that OSU doesn't want the games. Your side conveniently forgets to mention that. All anybody on both sides can do is come up with the same tired arguments., but the fact is that the almighty Ohio State University is not interested in hosting, especially on the weekend of their league championship games. So, take your tired hate and channel it into more productive endeavors, such as finding an alternative to Canton that is air to everyone. But then, claiming conspiracy is much easier and ( dare I say)- a complete load of BS.
Where did I say anything about conspiracy? I just said the only thing that matters is money and the way Canton treats the commissioners - am I wrong?
Old 02-22-19, 03:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I donít have a dog in this fight. Well, thatís not really true, as my team has made several trips to the finals, and I prefer Columbus. However, I understand thatís not always realistic. So, my question: do you or does anyone have a link showing where OSU says it Ďdoesnít want the gamesí? Iíve heard that over and over but havenít seen definitive proof.
That's because it doesn't exist. The correct way to state that is that OSU isn't willing to put on the games for the price the OHSAA is willing to pay because they already have a below market bid in their pocket (and free hotels, great food, a great suite, etc.).
Old 02-22-19, 11:26 PM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So, take your tired hate and channel it into more productive endeavors, such as finding an alternative to Canton that is air to everyone. But then, claiming conspiracy is much easier and ( dare I say)- a complete load of BS.
Old 02-22-19, 11:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Where did I say anything about conspiracy?
You said Canton bribes the OHSAA commissioners. What is your proof of these bribes? Do you have a link with this info?
Old 02-22-19, 11:34 PM
All American

Went out tonight to a Canton restaurant. Saw families from Dayton and near Toledo in town for state finals. They seemed to be having a very nice time. They must be unaware of how unfair they have been treated by having to drive to Canton and not be competing in Columbus.
Old 02-23-19, 12:24 AM
All Ohio

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
They don't need to charge as Ohio does.....

The UIL gets about 15% of their revenues from membership fees/dues. (more than $1.5 million) About 60% of their revenues come from ticket sales.

OHSAA charges no fees/dues to their member schools and 78% of their revenue comes from ticket sales.
This +100.
Old 02-23-19, 08:14 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone actually know what OSU and Canton were paid to host the finals?
Old 02-23-19, 08:30 AM
All Region

ImpracticalJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Went out tonight to a Canton restaurant. Saw families from Dayton and near Toledo in town for state finals. They seemed to be having a very nice time. They must be unaware of how unfair they have been treated by having to drive to Canton and not be competing in Columbus.
I’m sure they were having a nice time. Probably the families of athletes who qualified for the state meet so they were duly proud, enjoying the moment, and would have been having a good time no matter where the state meet was being held.

I would assume that the families of the swimmers who qualified for the state meet made the trip to Canton. It’s a major achievement for an athlete to reach the state level so the families will be there to support them. Doesn’t mean they enjoyed the trip to get there.

Branin is a great venue for the event. Don’t really know if there is any other swim venue in the state that would be as nice or that holds as many spectators. Not really familiar with the swim venues in Ohio. Perhaps this is the only viable option for swimming.

That is certainly not the case in football.

Just curious, did you actually talk to these families or are you just making assumptions? Maybe you could have asked these families if they would have preferred a trip to Columbus instead of a trip to Canton?

Last edited by ImpracticalJoker; 02-23-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Since all of the state final games are on TV, no matter where you live, if your team is not at the dance your watching the game on the tube. If the weather is bad, your watching the game on the tube. The 10am game is no picnic for any football fan. 7 divisions means game should be played 4 days. 2 games on Thursday, 2 games Friday, 2 games Saturday, Division 1 at 2pm on Sunday. Thursday, Friday & Saturday game times are 3pm & 8pm. Choosing where to play these games is the battle. If Canton wants the games & Columbus could care less, play them in Canton. If your 16 year old son is unable to drive, as a good parent, You Take Them! The Booster Club from the school can charter a bus. Many options.
Old 02-25-19, 05:37 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
No game on Sunday.

I don't even like having the one game on Thursday.

The 10 am games are fine.
Old 02-25-19, 07:20 PM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
No game on Sunday.

I don't even like having the one game on Thursday.

The 10 am games are fine.
Unless you are playing in the 10 am game and have to travel 3-4 hours to get there.
Old 02-25-19, 08:00 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
The crying about where the state finals is played is a joke. You don't like where it is at don't go! Anyone saying the atmosphere for a high school game in 100k seat stadium does not severely suffer is not a fan of the sport! Crying about fair, ok rotate the games between multiple locations I strongly suggest the southern whiners put a package together with UC to compete and if you can't get it done financially then close your pie hole!
Old 02-25-19, 08:10 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroe View Post
The crying about where the state finals is played is a joke. You don't like where it is at don't go! Anyone saying the atmosphere for a high school game in 100k seat stadium does not severely suffer is not a fan of the sport! Crying about fair, ok rotate the games between multiple locations I strongly suggest the southern whiners put a package together with UC to compete and if you can't get it done financially then close your pie hole!
Wrong. It traps the sound in and makes it louder. Some of the loudest high school games I ever went to were there. But keep your NE OH bias going.
Old 02-25-19, 08:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Wrong. It traps the sound in and makes it louder.
In fact, the fewer the people the louder it gets with the echo effect.
Old 02-25-19, 09:02 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In fact, the fewer the people the louder it gets with the echo effect.
Good for you now go away turd.
Old 02-25-19, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wrong. It traps the sound in and makes it louder. Some of the loudest high school games I ever went to were there. But keep your NE OH bias going.
I concur. I was surprised how loud it got in the Shoe compared to any other places we had games. Any other stadium that sounds just escapes, but The Shoe kept the noise in and yes, the echo effect is real.

Did some training in the mountains of California a few weeks ago. The speaker systems we used are much more effective in the mountain areas with echoing than in the flat areas that we used them in.
Old 02-26-19, 12:33 AM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Louder ehh. The Shoe is terrible for HS games. I don't really care where they are played. A whole lot of crying from supposed football fans about absolutely nothing! Just complaining to complain. I watched games in smaller college stadiums, larger pro stadiums, domes, HS stadiums and The Shoe. The Shoe is low on the list for a high school game atmosphere! Will I watch them there and not cry about it like baby? Yep! Would I go watch in Nippert and not cry like chump? Yep! Will I go to Canton and watch and not cry? Yep! I already said change locations and move it around. Give me of a couple of the larger HS stadiums that do not have a track, right on top of the playing surface!
Old 02-26-19, 10:17 AM
All World

Quote:
That the OHSAA has taken away the experience of high school players playing in a cathedral of football to a dump drive-by near the highway for money is a travesty.
Old 02-26-19, 02:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Louder ehh. The Shoe is terrible for HS games. I don't really care where they are played. A whole lot of crying from supposed football fans about absolutely nothing! Just complaining to complain. I watched games in smaller college stadiums, larger pro stadiums, domes, HS stadiums and The Shoe. The Shoe is low on the list for a high school game atmosphere! Will I watch them there and not cry about it like baby? Yep! Would I go watch in Nippert and not cry like chump? Yep! Will I go to Canton and watch and not cry? Yep! I already said change locations and move it around. Give me of a couple of the larger HS stadiums that do not have a track, right on top of the playing surface!
Old 02-26-19, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
That the OHSAA has taken away the experience of high school players playing in a cathedral of football to a dump drive-by near the highway for money is a travesty.
Did you find that link to your conspiracy theory about the OHSAA commissioners being bribed by Canton?