Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 02-19-19, 03:22 PM
simkon simkon is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,352
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
Here is 2005 just for comparison sake.

Division V State Championship Game, Patrick Henry vs. Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy @ Piqua High School Alexander Stadium 3:00pM

Division IV State Championship Game, Cardinal Mooney vs. Coldwater @ The Glass Bowl in Toledo - 3:00PM

Division II State Championship Game, Canfield vs. Toledo Central Catholic @ Parma Byers Field - 8:00PM

Division VI State Championship Game, Delphos St. John's vs. Canton Central Catholic @ Mansfield Arlin Field - 3:30PM

Division III State Championship Game, Stuebenville vs. Columbus DeSales @ Dom Drunn Stadium in Marietta Ohio - 7:30PM

Division I State Championship Game, Massillon Washington vs. St. Xavier @ Columbus Crew Stadium 7:30PM
I was at the 2005 Cardinal Mooney vs Coldwater game but there is no way I would have driven 4 hours to Toledo. And I am sure that would have been the case for most Mooney fans.
Also for the Canfield game I would greatly prefer Paul Brown Tiger Stadium or Fawcett to Byers Field. At the time PBTS was probably overall one of the best venues. I might not have even bothered going to the game if it was at Byers. That year it was the coldest championship game from 2000 to present, and they got slammed with a bunch of snow up by Parma even more so than down in Massillon.
Also 2005 may be the year crew stadium was undergoing some maintenance in the (soccer) offseason making it unavailable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-19-19, 03:24 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,498
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Because MiLB schedules their season well in advance and the week on the road Clippers requested was the previous week. OHSAA changed their schedule after and it's too late to switch 2019. Future years Columbus will put in the appropriate weekend to the league to have the weekend away from home.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-19-19, 03:48 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
I was at the 2005 Cardinal Mooney vs Coldwater game but there is no way I would have driven 4 hours to Toledo. And I am sure that would have been the case for most Mooney fans.
Also for the Canfield game I would greatly prefer Paul Brown Tiger Stadium or Fawcett to Byers Field. At the time PBTS was probably overall one of the best venues. I might not have even bothered going to the game if it was at Byers. That year it was the coldest championship game from 2000 to present, and they got slammed with a bunch of snow up by Parma even more so than down in Massillon.
Also 2005 may be the year crew stadium was undergoing some maintenance in the (soccer) offseason making it unavailable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yeah, there really wouldn't have been a reason for Mooney Fans to travel 4 hours to play those cowpokes from Cold water. Mooney had so many DI players it was incredible that season.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-19-19, 05:04 PM
simkon simkon is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,352
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Yeah, there really wouldn't have been a reason for Mooney Fans to travel 4 hours to play those cowpokes from Cold water. Mooney had so many DI players it was incredible that season.
I am sure a lot of the parents and families would have gone as well as the diehard fans but I only went to the game because it was not too far and the schedule worked out nicely. I have only seen Mooney play a handful of times since.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-19-19, 07:35 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,687
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Because MiLB schedules their season well in advance and the week on the road Clippers requested was the previous week. OHSAA changed their schedule after and it's too late to switch 2019. Future years Columbus will put in the appropriate weekend to the league to have the weekend away from home.
Jerry mentioned in his radio interview last week that the International League has changed their ways and no longer allow teams to request dates as they have in the past. He also noted that the conflict was for not only this year, but for next year as well....

Time will tell if this is for one year only.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-19-19, 08:27 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 1,087
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
30 or so years ago the state tournaments were played at Ohio State. They went well as I recall.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-19-19, 10:27 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
It's funny that they cited attendance as being down, but their numbers say otherwise:
Canton
2018 all seven state championship games was 52,390
2017 all seven state championship games was 61,312

Columbus
2016 all seven state championship games was 55,421
2015 all seven state championship games was 62,089

So 2015 and 2017 are comparable and 2016 and 2018 are comparable. How are these decreases???? .
There is no significant decrease. But these facts don't fit the SWO or the anti-Canton/anti-HOF narrative.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02-20-19, 07:39 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,810
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Jerry mentioned in his radio interview last week that the International League has changed their ways and no longer allow teams to request dates as they have in the past.
Leagues at all levels and all sports collect requests on blocked dates for stadiums before making schedules. Why in the world would the International League not do that?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 02-20-19, 07:40 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,810
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
In the 90's, the Cavs used to open at home early, then go on a 10+ day road trip in November when Ringling Brothers were in town.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 02-20-19, 09:49 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,687
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Leagues at all levels and all sports collect requests on blocked dates for stadiums before making schedules. Why in the world would the International League not do that?
Jerry's comment was that they used to do this, but looks like they changed their habits
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 02-20-19, 10:22 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
In the 90's, the Cavs used to open at home early, then go on a 10+ day road trip in November when Ringling Brothers were in town.
Some could say the circus never left town...
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-20-19, 05:01 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 1,087
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^
Good one
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 02-20-19, 06:03 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 657
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Fun to think about a dome. Putting a dome on First Energy would have been smart for lots of reasons but Cleveland would not be a suitable site for many.
Put a dome over Infocision!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-20-19, 06:11 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 657
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Is this just your opinion stated as fact or do you have something of substance to prove the verity of this statement?
There may or may not be more than a few, but I am one of them. I am in the diehard category. And I come for 15 weeks and love it. And I come from Erie, PA. It is worth the 2+ hours 1 way every week. I do have to admit that I see a decline in attendance at games and that IS disappointing and a shame. But it is just the times we are in. But for me Ohio HS football is my hobby. So everyone is entitled to enjoy their hobbies of life. This just happens to be 1 of mine. It would be sweet if every week the stadiums were full. But that's not the case. But it does not diminish the great football that is being played by these fine young men. If the state finals are in Canton, I am there. If they are in Columbus, I am there. But I obviously prefer Canton because it is closer to Erie that Columbus plus I like the affect of having 10,000 in a 20,000 people stadium vs. in a 100,000+ stadium by a long shot.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-20-19, 08:10 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 383
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Canton bids the finals as a loss lead and hopes to make it up with hotels and restaurant receipts. I used to go Columbus to see the finals that I was interested in because it was a 1.5 to 2 hour straight shot to Columbus. it is about 3.5 to Canton. I really don't want to stay in Hotel after a high school championship game and would only consider it if it was a Team I followed very closely or had family or friends playing in it. Nobody else is willing to bid it so low. It will go to Canton unless OHSAA member in other parts of the state decide they don't like the advantage it gives Teas from NE Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-20-19, 09:53 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
There may or may not be more than a few, but I am one of them. I am in the diehard category. And I come for 15 weeks and love it. And I come from Erie, PA. It is worth the 2+ hours 1 way every week. I do have to admit that I see a decline in attendance at games and that IS disappointing and a shame. But it is just the times we are in. But for me Ohio HS football is my hobby. So everyone is entitled to enjoy their hobbies of life. This just happens to be 1 of mine. It would be sweet if every week the stadiums were full. But that's not the case. But it does not diminish the great football that is being played by these fine young men. If the state finals are in Canton, I am there. If they are in Columbus, I am there. But I obviously prefer Canton because it is closer to Erie that Columbus plus I like the affect of having 10,000 in a 20,000 people stadium vs. in a 100,000+ stadium by a long shot.
Some on Yappi (like queenbuckeye) say fans like you are irrelevant or don't exist. She says you are a "windowless van driver" ? But I have met many like you. Benson is an awesome venue. Its amazing you can drive that far LOL
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-20-19, 10:02 PM
The Butler's Avatar
The Butler The Butler is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-02-02
Location: Perry Twp., Stark Co.
Posts: 8,822
The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Canton bids the finals as a loss lead and hopes to make it up with hotels and restaurant receipts.
You need to come up with a new theory.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-20-19, 11:54 PM
JimmieJ48fan JimmieJ48fan is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 07-01-18
Location: OSU via Perry Township OH
Posts: 22
JimmieJ48fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Why couldn't they play their games at Ohio State? Their season ends in mid to late May. They have a very nice stadium and it holds almost 5,000. I doubt they are getting crowds bigger than that.....
The regular season ends in May. But the regionals and super regionals are held on campus sites. While I don't think Ohio State is projected to be that good this season. You really don't know. It's probably better for them to not have anything schedule in case they are in position to host.

As for these ideas. This is the State Championship game. It's supposed to be a spectacle. It should be held at the same site for all 7 games. And it shouldn't be held at random high school stadiums. I'm sure they are nice but it should be held at a stadium that has some big game feel to it. I don't care where in the state the game is if Perry is in the game I'll go anywhere.

And I see people complaining about having to get a hotel room for a 3 to 3 and half hour drive. Nobody is forcing you to get a hotel room. It's just as easy to drive home after the game if you really want to. Every year I have to make a 4 hour each way trip for an event. It ends between 11pm and midnight and I drive home after to event. Get to sleep in my own bed. It's what you are willing to do. If Perry had played their State Championship games in Cincy I would have went and then drove home that night.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-21-19, 12:08 AM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 2,182
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieJ48fan View Post
The regular season ends in May. But the regionals and super regionals are held on campus sites. While I don't think Ohio State is projected to be that good this season. You really don't know. It's probably better for them to not have anything schedule in case they are in position to host.

As for these ideas. This is the State Championship game. It's supposed to be a spectacle. It should be held at the same site for all 7 games. And it shouldn't be held at random high school stadiums. I'm sure they are nice but it should be held at a stadium that has some big game feel to it. I don't care where in the state the game is if Perry is in the game I'll go anywhere.

And I see people complaining about having to get a hotel room for a 3 to 3 and half hour drive. Nobody is forcing you to get a hotel room. It's just as easy to drive home after the game if you really want to. Every year I have to make a 4 hour each way trip for an event. It ends between 11pm and midnight and I drive home after to event. Get to sleep in my own bed. It's what you are willing to do. If Perry had played their State Championship games in Cincy I would have went and then drove home that night.
What about the people who like to watch all the games and are 3.5 hours away?
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-21-19, 12:27 AM
JimmieJ48fan JimmieJ48fan is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 07-01-18
Location: OSU via Perry Township OH
Posts: 22
JimmieJ48fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
What about the people who like to watch all the games and are 3.5 hours away?
Well I was specifically referring to those that are just attending 1 game.

In that case it's that's a different story if you are watching multiple games on different days. Unless you basically live in that area it doesn't seem like a smart idea to go one day, go home, and go back no matter if it's 1.5 or 3.5 hour trip. And it's just not possible to hold all 7 games on the same day.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-21-19, 02:09 AM
Cali_Eagle Cali_Eagle is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-16
Posts: 525
Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Let's rotate the games between Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville (KY), Huntington W VA, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Then everyone in the State will be unhappy with their drive most of the time, almost all of the time. Perfect Compromise.

Of course, attendance might take a hit but having everyone equally dissatisfied about the driving is the important thing.

Since people seem to be so serious about this issue in football but don't seem to care or complain in other sports, the answer is to split up all the games and play each one of them as close to halfway between the two competing schools as one can find an appropriate venue. The attendance per game in recent years is averaging less than 9,000 per game so for all but the top two classes any good size high school stadium ought to more than suffice. When it's clear a game will be some sort of rivalry game or draw an exceptional crowd then a larger venue can be rented (example: 1973 State Title game between Warren Western Reserve and Youngstown Mooney.)

I am sure there are some people that would like to be able to see all 7 games over 2 days but I doubt (my own opinion is all) that there are THAT many people that do this. ( I tend to think those that do or have done this, do so because they could/ can and if they couldn't, I don't think most would react vehemently against this going away.) I doubt attendance per game would be hurt all that much. It might even be helped with the closer (well, fairer anyway) trips.

OHSAA wanting to get together at a big event isn't justification to try and hold the games in one place over 1 or 2 days IMHO if more students and fans benefit from splitting the games up.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-21-19, 05:47 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieJ48fan View Post
And I see people complaining about having to get a hotel room for a 3 to 3 and half hour drive. Nobody is forcing you to get a hotel room. It's just as easy to drive home after the game if you really want to. Every year I have to make a 4 hour each way trip for an event. It ends between 11pm and midnight and I drive home after to event. Get to sleep in my own bed. It's what you are willing to do. If Perry had played their State Championship games in Cincy I would have went and then drove home that night.
It's just this simple. But for some its just so difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-21-19, 08:15 AM
radiodaveagain radiodaveagain is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-14
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 398
radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
A Better Idea For The OHSAA State Football Playoffs
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...tball-playoffs
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-21-19, 08:58 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,687
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieJ48fan View Post
The regular season ends in May. But the regionals and super regionals are held on campus sites. While I don't think Ohio State is projected to be that good this season. You really don't know. It's probably better for them to not have anything schedule in case they are in position to host.
This actually happened in 2005, forcing the tournament to be split between Fifth Third Field in Dayton and Cooper Stadium in Columbus.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-21-19, 09:40 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
About going to games and "having" to stay in a hotel.....Sure, no on really has to but many people see it as a big deal and make it an overnight stay for the heck of it.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-21-19, 11:03 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
For some, making a weekend of it by staying over is a very easy thing to do and makes for a fun time. For others its an impossible barrier.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-21-19, 07:36 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 383
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
It's funny that they cited attendance as being down, but their numbers say otherwise:

Canton
2018 all seven state championship games was 52,390
2017 all seven state championship games was 61,312

Columbus
2016 all seven state championship games was 55,421
2015 all seven state championship games was 62,089

So 2015 and 2017 are comparable and 2016 and 2018 are comparable. How are these decreases????

Everyone forgets the fact that, behind the scenes, we don't know who put in bids to host the championship games. Maybe OSU didnt want to host anymore? Maybe they raised their rate to host? Maybe Canton offered them a discount? Maybe there were other incentives that OHSAA wanted? Obviously Geography isnt the only thing they are thinking about.

FWIW, Swimming and Diving hold their state championships in Canton too. Volleyball holds their championships at Wright State near Dayton. Softball holds their championships in Akron. Tennis holds their championships in SW Ohio instead of Columbus as well. Just a few examples of other sports that don't have their championships in Columbus or surrounding areas. I know this thread is mostly about attendance and whatnot, but just shows that football isnt the only sport that isnt in Columbus........

"Edit"
Also saw that baseball is moving their state championships to Canal Park in Akron (where the Rubberducks play) instead of in Columbus where they had been for some time.
All those sports championships play multiple games or prelims/finals. It is a little different situation
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-22-19, 10:14 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
In a shocking development, swimmers from all over the state - some as far away as Cincy, Dayton, Toledo, Sandusky, etc - have come to Canton for state championships!! Some started yesterday and may stay until Saturday. Athletes, parents, friends and fans are alleged to be in attendance. Rumors are swirling that people are staying overnight to attend the finals on multiple days. Not sure how this is possible but it seems to be accurate. Wow!!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-22-19, 11:15 AM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 4,940
tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
In a shocking development, swimmers from all over the state - some as far away as Cincy, Dayton, Toledo, Sandusky, etc - have come to Canton for state championships!! Some started yesterday and may stay until Saturday. Athletes, parents, friends and fans are alleged to be in attendance. Rumors are swirling that people are staying overnight to attend the finals on multiple days. Not sure how this is possible but it seems to be accurate. Wow!!
Maybe football fans are wimps?
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-22-19, 01:21 PM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 2,907
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
When I use to go to all the games I always stayed at a B&B in Winesburg Ohio about a half hour from Massillon or Canton I watch football and my wife shopped in the Amish country and we were both happy. Back in those days there was a good group of all gamers. Made freinds and look forward to seeing them each year. Now only go one day and not nearly as much fun, 6 plus hours of drive and three games at my age makes for a long day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Time Playoff Scores (1972-2018) EagleFan Football 15 01-27-19 04:10 PM
All-Time Playoff Scores (1972-2018) EagleFan Football 71 01-21-19 07:24 PM
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 21 06-16-18 07:43 AM
OHSAA to Honor 6 Former Greats in Circle of Champions at Boys State Basketball Tourny Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-20-18 11:08 AM
OHSAA 2017 Baseball State Tournament Preview Yappi Baseball 1 05-30-17 11:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz