Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-17-19, 12:22 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 2,182
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
So, when Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati or Welcome Stadium in Dayton get the finals you NE Ohio people will be coming South in droves? I think it's political and NE Ohio has had the clout. SW Ohio has looked at it as moot point and no sense in even bidding.
I'd be interested in seeing who submitted bids. Miami U, UD, UC, Kings Island, Bowling Green all have fantastic venues for High School football.
When we go on vacation we don't typically go to NE Ohio for God's sake. . Do you NE Ohio people drive to Dayton for vacation? Come on son.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id love to see the state games in Dayton. Id be able to see the games and actually get to sleep in my own bed! Something only northeast Ohioans know.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-19, 02:43 PM
BearcatBengal BearcatBengal is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-15
Posts: 43
BearcatBengal is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't call that a better solution, I would say that is actually worse. I think Columbus is a better fit geographically and enjoyed playing my state championship there as well as watching one of the games from the stands the following season. Lots of other states use the major college or pro stadiums for their state championships and at least personally the amount of empty seats doesn't bother me.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-17-19, 03:46 PM
Cali_Eagle Cali_Eagle is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-16
Posts: 525
Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
What is the real truth of the matter re: the question of "Who is bidding to get the games? Who is it that wants them and is actively trying to get them?"

I think in a perfect world they should rotate all over the State, but it takes people that want to hold them to get a bid going. It doesn't matter who wants to drive, what distance they want to go and where in the State they live if the only people bidding are the Canton people.

Ohio is something like the 37th or 38th largest State. If you held the games in Montpelier or Conneaut every year or in Oxford or Chesapeake the longest drive in the State you would possibly be looking at is about 325 miles tops, maybe less.

There are people in the LA area that drive about that every weekend to go to Las Vegas (or used to be before the advent of Indian Casinos.) Be glad you don't live in Montana or Alaska, Wyoming, Texas, etc.

I don't live in Ohio anymore but I'd be willing to go anywhere in the State to see them if my team was in them. Failing that, I'd probably watch them on TV. OHSAA may be trying to make a big event day of the Title games, but I'm not sure the crowds warrant such treatment these days. Playing each game at a good site midway between the competing teams is probably the best idea going. Have a convention or meeting to bring all the OHSAA brass, coaches, officials etc together for a "Big Event".
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-17-19, 03:54 PM
19AL63 19AL63 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 2,907
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I really enjoy going to and watching state championship football games. I am now 73 years old for many years we went to all 6 or 7 games. Now my bones just will not let me day two is not fun anymore so now we go to just one day's usually Sat and watch all three games. What you people are trying to tell me is I will only get to see one game not three. You do know I hate change I did not like it when they went away from using two stadiums and now you want to use seven all in one day or night?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-17-19, 03:56 PM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 4,940
tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
What is the real truth of the matter re: the question of "Who is bidding to get the games? Who is it that wants them and is actively trying to get them?"

I think in a perfect world they should rotate all over the State, but it takes people that want to hold them to get a bid going. It doesn't matter who wants to drive, what distance they want to go and where in the State they live if the only people bidding are the Canton people.

Ohio is something like the 37th or 38th largest State. If you held the games in Montpelier or Conneaut every year or in Oxford or Chesapeake the longest drive in the State you would possibly be looking at is about 325 miles tops, maybe less.

There are people in the LA area that drive about that every weekend to go to Las Vegas (or used to be before the advent of Indian Casinos.) Be glad you don't live in Montana or Alaska, Wyoming, Texas, etc.

I don't live in Ohio anymore but I'd be willing to go anywhere in the State to see them if my team was in them. Failing that, I'd probably watch them on TV. OHSAA may be trying to make a big event day of the Title games, but I'm not sure the crowds warrant such treatment these days. Playing each game at a good site midway between the competing teams is probably the best idea going. Have a convention or meeting to bring all the OHSAA brass, coaches, officials etc together for a "Big Event".
Both sides here are actually speaking on different topics. The SWO people are dealing in the idealistic, claiming that Columbus is the fairest place for the finals, which it is.The Canton supporters are arguing from the practical - Canton is the only city that put in a legit bid. The fact is that, until Columbus decides it wants to host again,or another city puts in a bid, the games stay in Canton. Fairest location for everyone - no. This sniping is truly asinine, but it's the off-season. Very soon, we will have the public vs. private trolling begin, then Massillon against Summit and Stark Counties, then someone will claim that Hoban is under investigation, then the season will begin. It happens every year.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-17-19, 04:01 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,498
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
Be glad you don't live in Montana or Alaska, Wyoming, Texas, etc.
I always like to point out the 2016 Montana Class C 6-man Championship was between MonDak and Hot Springs. MonDak is a co-op between a school in Westby, Montana and a school in Grenora, North Dakota. Westby is about as far northeast as you can get in Montana without entering Canada or North Dakota.

In Montana, the higher seed hosts. Hot Springs had to travel 640 miles one way in late November to play a state title game.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-17-19, 04:08 PM
basselope basselope is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-14-07
Location: The Ville
Posts: 406
basselope is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=chs1971;7256300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
First, it was kind of a joke.

Second, no one ever has.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-17-19, 04:45 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 4,676
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry. I didn't realize a one or two day event was a vacation.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-17-19, 04:54 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,810
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I always like to point out the 2016 Montana Class C 6-man Championship was between MonDak and Hot Springs. MonDak is a co-op between a school in Westby, Montana and a school in Grenora, North Dakota. Westby is about as far northeast as you can get in Montana without entering Canada or North Dakota.

In Montana, the higher seed hosts. Hot Springs had to travel 640 miles one way in late November to play a state title game.
Ohio is small enough that Canton really isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-17-19, 06:08 PM
Cali_Eagle Cali_Eagle is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-16
Posts: 525
Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Ohio is small enough that Canton really isn't a problem.
I am in my sixties and would still drive to Cincinnati if I still lived in NEO and Euclid High were to make a State Title game if they were held there. I made 3 separate x-country driving trips for family business in 2018 from Nevada to Lake County and back. (Hate flying commercial, but not afraid to do so if necessary.)

Ideally they should be rotated around the State or based in Columbus. As a practical matter they are in Canton because that's the only group (presently) making a strong effort to get them.

I would encourage a group to put together a SWO bid for Cincy or Dayton. As has been stated, there are a LOT of stadia all over the State (including SEO) that could host the games given their present day attendance rates.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-17-19, 06:47 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,498
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
I am in my sixties and would still drive to Cincinnati if I still lived in NEO and Euclid High were to make a State Title game if they were held there. I made 3 separate x-country driving trips for family business in 2018 from Nevada to Lake County and back. (Hate flying commercial, but not afraid to do so if necessary.)

Ideally they should be rotated around the State or based in Columbus. As a practical matter they are in Canton because that's the only group (presently) making a strong effort to get them.

I would encourage a group to put together a SWO bid for Cincy or Dayton. As has been stated, there are a LOT of stadia all over the State (including SEO) that could host the games given their present day attendance rates.
Rotating them would be best. But that would require a mindset change from ohsaa
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-17-19, 09:12 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,414
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Ohio is small enough that Canton really isn't a problem.
Correct.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-17-19, 10:02 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 563
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
A rotation makes it even less likely that other areas will bid. It’s just too much work and local organization for a reward - small as it is - every 3-4 years.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-17-19, 10:47 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,498
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
A rotation makes it even less likely that other areas will bid. Itís just too much work and local organization for a reward - small as it is - every 3-4 years.
They wouldn't bid. The association would simply book the venue like any other organizer or promoter. Like I said, they'd have to change their approach to the finals.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-17-19, 11:52 PM
frankie frankie is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-29-06
Location: Magic City
Posts: 1,360
frankie is on a distinguished road
A football fan of a competing school will go about anyplace to see their team play. The pride if their" team being in a state final is a strong guiding force. There are other football fans that just go for "the love of the game" and few are limited by mileage. Only a very Few fans have a burning desire to see all games. Mileage is an excuse. as is weather, but after all this is football. How many of the complainers have even seen all of their games but come out only with the current success.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-18-19, 07:21 AM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 563
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
They wouldn't bid. The association would simply book the venue like any other organizer or promoter. Like I said, they'd have to change their approach to the finals.
Again, you have to assume that these places would book the game. This is especially unlikely if you wait until you see who is in the finals because you would give them one week advance notice. For anything other than a HS stadium that is extremely unlikely. And it is tough sometimes to even find HS that will do it.

There is a lot more to this than people realize. Itís easy to find solutions on an internet message board.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-18-19, 08:32 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 4,676
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
My question was not asked about what the OHSAA would think, it's about what the fans think. And if it's about having a big event, it sounds like you think everyone should just shut up and go along with what the OHSAA has decided. That would be my take from your post. Maybe I'm wrong to assume that. If I am, I apologize in advance.
Complaining anonymously on Yappi has the same effect as "shut(ting) up go(ing) along with what the OHSAA has decided."
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-18-19, 10:00 AM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,792
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
This is just the silliest argument. You SWO people sound like babies.

Is there some kind of law or physical/mental condition that prohibits you from traveling for more than a few hours? Does no one from SWO ever go on a vacation or business trip? Or do you limit your vacations to Indianapolis or Louisvillle?

where do you live?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-18-19, 11:14 AM
L Hand L Hand is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-13-05
Posts: 3,249
L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Canton has proven time and again they want the games and they are very good at hosting. The coming additions to the HOF Village make it even more attractive. The state finals are not a traveling circus show. They are a main event and need a top location. If people can't get in a car and drive a little while, so be it.
Spoken like a true northern-Ohio resident.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-18-19, 11:16 AM
L Hand L Hand is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-13-05
Posts: 3,249
L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I always like to point out the 2016 Montana Class C 6-man Championship was between MonDak and Hot Springs. MonDak is a co-op between a school in Westby, Montana and a school in Grenora, North Dakota. Westby is about as far northeast as you can get in Montana without entering Canada or North Dakota.

In Montana, the higher seed hosts. Hot Springs had to travel 640 miles one way in late November to play a state title game.
I agree with your point - the higher seeded team should host throughout the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-18-19, 11:32 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
I agree with your point - the higher seeded team should host throughout the playoffs.
Not a fan of this.

First off, many facilities aren't good enough to host big time games. The fields get tore up, seating isnt the best.

While the harbins are good to determine whom should be in the playoffs, but to also double down on them and give teams HFA isnt a good use of it.


Keep them somewhat in between to make it fair for both teams. Hose them at places that have turf and that are big enough to accommodate the games.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-18-19, 12:09 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,669
Auggie is on a distinguished road
I think the biggest problem is not the location but the timing and lack of indoor facility.

By far the best weekend to hold this thing would be over Thanksgiving Day weekend as most folks get that Friday off and many equate the Holiday w/ football. Additionally many Ohioans come home and visit for the weekend so you get that additional group of folks to buy tickets. The 1st weekend of December is just another tight weekend leading into the Holidays. Either go back to 4 teams per Region or start the season a week early, not that tough to do.

I have said this on many other threads but if you really want the casual fans you should build a Fargo Dome sized venue in the state, location doesn't matter. Talk about creating a cool atmosphere for the players and fans of the teams, 7K fans in a small dome still feels special including a louder environment and fans close to the action and not swept away in a big bowl. All this and a comfortable 72 degrees. One of the MAC schools should do this as a way to get HS students to their campuses.

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-18-19, 01:22 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 4,676
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Nobody is going to build a dome to host the state finals, but I like the idea of a dome. I don't mind sitting in bad weather for one game, but I'm now old enough that doing it for the weekend is no longer fun.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-18-19, 03:33 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,079
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I think the biggest problem is not the location but the timing and lack of indoor facility.

By far the best weekend to hold this thing would be over Thanksgiving Day weekend as most folks get that Friday off and many equate the Holiday w/ football. Additionally many Ohioans come home and visit for the weekend so you get that additional group of folks to buy tickets. The 1st weekend of December is just another tight weekend leading into the Holidays. Either go back to 4 teams per Region or start the season a week early, not that tough to do.

I have said this on many other threads but if you really want the casual fans you should build a Fargo Dome sized venue in the state, location doesn't matter. Talk about creating a cool atmosphere for the players and fans of the teams, 7K fans in a small dome still feels special including a louder environment and fans close to the action and not swept away in a big bowl. All this and a comfortable 72 degrees. One of the MAC schools should do this as a way to get HS students to their campuses.
I agree. I've been saying a dome would help for over a decade on here. Seating of 20,000 would be an ideal number as people would get in line to purchase tickets ahead of time to make sure they have seats for the game. They would also know that the weather will not keep them from attending the games (outside of difficulties getting there.)

Hopefully someone with deep pockets could build a dome and figure out a way to play games there nearly every night of the season. I could imagine they could have neutral games Wednesday through Sunday of every week of football. Throw in some youth games to fill the open spots. Clinics and camps other parts of the year. If they built a dome, the shrinking crowd issue would go away.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-18-19, 04:46 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
A lot of pipe dreams in this thread.

Unless a college or NFL team builds a dome, it is not happening. The NFL teams are in the corners of the state, BUT I feel the distance would be trumped by a dome.

How many colleges out there are putting up domes?
NOt happening, so to think the OHSAA would do something is ludicrous.

To me the three biggest obstacles of attending are:
1. Distance.
2. Weather.
3. When the games are played. While I have taken off work when my school makes it, I am not doing so just to go watch others on a Thursday night or the Friday games.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-18-19, 04:56 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,079
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I would put weather as the clear #1 obstacle to not attending a game.

The OHSAA needs to pre-sell these tickets and create excitement for them. Right now, we have one week to build excitement about the teams playing in the games and hope for good weather. It's a risk that people don't want to take anymore.

I don't buy the television argument anymore either because most people in the state do not have Spectrum. People are just walking away from HS sports because it is becoming more difficult compared to all the other activities that are offered. A dome might be a pipe dream but it also might be the only chance of rebuilding the excitement of the past.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-18-19, 04:57 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,925
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
So it's settled. Keep the games in Canton till somebody builds a dome in Columbus then force them to host it for a really good price. Cool.

As long as we're thinking outside the box we should consider Miami or Vegas too. That would be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-18-19, 04:58 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,464
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I would put weather as the clear #1 obstacle to not attending a game.

The OHSAA needs to pre-sell these tickets and create excitement for them. Right now, we have one week to build excitement about the teams playing in the games and hope for good weather. It's a risk that people don't want to take anymore.

I don't buy the television argument anymore either because most people in the state do not have Spectrum. People are just walking away from HS sports because it is becoming more difficult compared to all the other activities that are offered. A dome might be a pipe dream but it also might be the only chance of rebuilding the excitement of the past.
You re not going to build excitement for the games unless there is a Lebron esque sort of player. Most people dont give a flying F about any school but their alma matre and where they live.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-18-19, 05:09 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,669
Auggie is on a distinguished road
A Fargo/UNI Dome is really not that much when you think about it. Yeah NFL type domes are big $s but if you don't have luxury suites, bleachers instead of seats, basic replay screens and scoreboard etc... you can do it on a budget. According to Wikipedia the UNI Dome in Iowa was built for $7.5 million in 1976 which is $33 million in 2018 $s. Get the state and a local Govt to chip in or better yet an educational institution plus naming rights and it becomes reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-18-19, 05:11 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,498
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I agree. I've been saying a dome would help for over a decade on here. Seating of 20,000 would be an ideal number as people would get in line to purchase tickets ahead of time to make sure they have seats for the game. They would also know that the weather will not keep them from attending the games (outside of difficulties getting there.)

Hopefully someone with deep pockets could build a dome and figure out a way to play games there nearly every night of the season. I could imagine they could have neutral games Wednesday through Sunday of every week of football. Throw in some youth games to fill the open spots. Clinics and camps other parts of the year. If they built a dome, the shrinking crowd issue would go away.
With all the 1A teams in Ohio and our weather, it's surprising none of them ever seriously considered building a domed stadium. Akron was the most recent and though InfoCision is nice, a small 20k dome would've been perfect for the area to have so many winter options for large concerts, sporting events, conventions, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Time Playoff Scores (1972-2018) EagleFan Football 15 01-27-19 04:10 PM
All-Time Playoff Scores (1972-2018) EagleFan Football 71 01-21-19 07:24 PM
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 21 06-16-18 07:43 AM
OHSAA to Honor 6 Former Greats in Circle of Champions at Boys State Basketball Tourny Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-20-18 11:08 AM
OHSAA 2017 Baseball State Tournament Preview Yappi Baseball 1 05-30-17 11:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz