Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-30-19, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
But, FL and Lehman are much smaller schools than the others. If they were the same size and didn't have soccer, it might be a football advantage. I don't see an advantage being gained here against these possible league schools.
FL doesn't have soccer. Lehman does but they would probably lose kids that are serious about soccer versus gaining football players. Troy Christian was in a similar situation when they didn't have football for a year. Lots of football parents wanted them to cut boys soccer and the soccer parents said they would just go to a different school for them to play soccer. Their kids weren't interested in playing football.
Old 01-30-19, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

Boys tennis is a spring sport.
Old 01-30-19, 01:54 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
FL doesn't have soccer. Lehman does but they would probably lose kids that are serious about soccer versus gaining football players. Troy Christian was in a similar situation when they didn't have football for a year. Lots of football parents wanted them to cut boys soccer and the soccer parents said they would just go to a different school for them to play soccer. Their kids weren't interested in playing football.
The soccer football correlation is overblown. Soccer athletes translate to the skill positions in football. Those are always the spots that even the smallest schools that can fill. Its finding the Oline and the front 7 of the defense that really matters with success. And soccer athletes just do not fill those profiles normally.

Of course, there are some soccer players that would be a lot better at WR1 or RB1 than current, but again its getting the big bodies that are the issues in my opinion and cutting soccer does not help there.
Old 01-30-19, 02:46 PM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Football/soccer debate aside, what do we think is the most likely thing to happen now? Do these four schools stay together and attempt to pick off a few more schools or do they disband? Based on location, this has to really hit Fort Loramie hard as the only conference with schools of similar size in their area is the MAC and I would be highly surprised if that were even an option. It really leaves them in a lurch.
Old 01-30-19, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Football/soccer debate aside, what do we think is the most likely thing to happen now? Do these four schools stay together and attempt to pick off a few more schools or do they disband? Based on location, this has to really hit Fort Loramie hard as the only conference with schools of similar size in their area is the MAC and I would be highly surprised if that were even an option. It really leaves them in a lurch.
So it's Miami East, Bethel, Covington & Fort Loramie right? Did we already conclude that Newton would go with the rest of the CCC?

And are we talking a football only type arrangement or all sports? If its all sports you have the issue that these schools don't offer everything. Miami East & Bethel offer the same or pretty close but Covington is less (no soccer at all I think). And Loramie is even less (closer to MAC in sports offered). Loramie is in Shelby County league which is pretty strong in basketball and baseball(?). So Loramie is probably only interested in football.

Football only they should reach out to Troy Christian who is an independent. Dayton Christian plays football only in the MVC. Would they be interested in a football only league with these 5? Less travel possibly but still need to fill 5 other games if they can only get 6 schools in.

It's a tough situation. They need other schools from other leagues to make some decisions and it doesn't sound like that is an option.
Old 01-30-19, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Most Likely in my mind

Miami East, Covington, and Bethel try to form a new league

Fort Loramie might be invited, but since they are in the Shelby Co League in everything but football, they also might not be invited. I think it depends on if the original three find an even or odd number of other interested schools.

Those 3 old CCC schools look at possible schools like:
Troy Christian, Lehman, Milton-Union, Northridge, Preble Shawnee, Brookville
Northwestern. DeGraff Riverside, Greenon, Dayton Christian, New Bremen

in an effort to get to 8. If it doesn't happen, plan B is those 3 CCC schools try to join somewhere else.

(btw...I am very aware that some of those schools listed above are better fits than others. They will try and get to 8. I doubt it will work out perfectly. Good chance there ends up with one outlier school just to get the right number)
Old 01-30-19, 04:19 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
I believe that this whole thing only happens if the 8 football leaving schools can find some other schools to join the new conference. The crazy thing is if they don't and the conference stays as is. Plenty of bad blood to go around at that point. I think the blowouts that are already happening could get worse in the next few years if the other 4 want to make a statement.

Dixie is really the only school that would fit well into this new league. Ive heard P Shawnee but who wants the PS to MV mid-week game for the other sports? I just don't see these 8 schools winning many non conference games as it is so you put them in a situation where they need to find 3 as it sits now your conference champ is probably 7-3 and maybe in the playoff.
Old 01-30-19, 04:22 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't really think Loramie is much of a player in the issue as they are set with their current league except for football. Not many conferences can improve on Shelby County league basketball , boys and girls, or Volleyball, softball and baseball.

That leaves Covington , Bethel and Miami East. Outside of football, Covington is very average compared to the other 10 schools who are pulling away. I could see Covington going that direction if they allow them in,

East and Bethel probably go the same direction as they are very similar in size and growth. I would look for those two to end up with the Clark County small schools if size and all sports were the biggest consideration (Cedarville,Southeastern, Northeastern, Northwestern). Just for fun I would throw in Graham (Champaign County) and Indian Lake. Kind of a resurrection of the Old Three Rivers. I would bet these schools would be open to Troy Christian and Lehman as well, but doubt small private schools could compete well in all sports. Troy Christian is only 5 years removed from not having a football program, about the same average numbers as Bradford and Mississinawa have had.

I think the list of schools already hypothesized on here is great if football were the only consideration, but common sense tells me it's not. Size and culture are going to be greater links to where schools land than football strength.
Old 01-30-19, 05:10 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Most Likely in my mind

Miami East, Covington, and Bethel try to form a new league

Fort Loramie might be invited, but since they are in the Shelby Co League in everything but football, they also might not be invited. I think it depends on if the original three find an even or odd number of other interested schools.

Those 3 old CCC schools look at possible schools like:
Troy Christian, Lehman, Milton-Union, Northridge, Preble Shawnee, Brookville
Northwestern. DeGraff Riverside, Greenon, Dayton Christian, New Bremen

in an effort to get to 8. If it doesn't happen, plan B is those 3 CCC schools try to join somewhere else.

(btw...I am very aware that some of those schools listed above are better fits than others. They will try and get to 8. I doubt it will work out perfectly. Good chance there ends up with one outlier school just to get the right number)
Not Happening
Old 01-30-19, 05:34 PM
All American

Quote:
If Fort Loramie wants to enter the MAC, they have my blessing. However, that would be based on what Parkway wants to do. The MAC will not kick out a charter member. I'm not going to tell Parkway what to do but aside from softball and Boy's CC (this past fall), Parkway just isn't that competitive in anything in this league anymore. Fort Loramie's football program would be beneficial to our league. Close rivalrys, similar demographics, only a 20 Minute or so drive from Coldwater and right down 66 from Delphos. To me it sounds like a fit. The biggest issue is I, like many supporters from our league, wish the Shelby County schools would join for all sports but if Parkway leaves, I'd forget about that for the time being

Back to the CCC talk.
Old 01-30-19, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
The best bet for the Miami county schools to form a new league would be to try to start something with Troy Christian, Lehman and I'd say Riverside. I don't know that you could easily add anyone else to get beyond six though.

IMO Miami East belongs with Northwestern and Graham, but I don't see it happening. I can't see them going back to the CBC (or the CBC going beyond 12), and I don't see those two leaving the CBC. An intriguing league that won't happen would be ME, Bethel, Covington, Milton, NW and Graham with some combination of Troy Christian, Lehman, Indian Lake and Riverside to get to 8, or all four to get to 10 with divisions.

The best bet for ME, Bethel and Covington IMO would be to try to jump on the OHC train and get to become a super league. Based on size and history with OHC teams, I'd think schools such as Riverside and East Clinton would be jumping up and down to get in if the league went to 18 with three divisions. Troy Christian or Lehman could be your 18th school.

You could have:
Southeastern
Greeneview
Cedarville
Northeastern
Madison-Plains
East Clinton

Fairbanks
West Liberty-Salem
West Jefferson
Mechanicsburg
Triad
Riverside

Catholic Central
Greenon
Miami East
Bethel
Covington
Troy Christian

Something to that effect with maybe a tweak with the Clark county teams would make a lot of sense to me. Each division would bear a fairly strong resemblance to a former league (KTC, WCOC, and SRC). In football, play two crossovers (1 from each division). In basketball, play six crossovers (3 from each division).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-19, 07:51 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
The best bet for the Miami county schools to form a new league would be to try to start something with Troy Christian, Lehman and I'd say Riverside. I don't know that you could easily add anyone else to get beyond six though.

IMO Miami East belongs with Northwestern and Graham, but I don't see it happening. I can't see them going back to the CBC (or the CBC going beyond 12), and I don't see those two leaving the CBC. An intriguing league that won't happen would be ME, Bethel, Covington, Milton, NW and Graham with some combination of Troy Christian, Lehman, Indian Lake and Riverside to get to 8, or all four to get to 10 with divisions.

The best bet for ME, Bethel and Covington IMO would be to try to jump on the OHC train and get to become a super league. Based on size and history with OHC teams, I'd think schools such as Riverside and East Clinton would be jumping up and down to get in if the league went to 18 with three divisions. Troy Christian or Lehman could be your 18th school.

You could have:
Southeastern
Greeneview
Cedarville
Northeastern
Madison-Plains
East Clinton

Fairbanks
West Liberty-Salem
West Jefferson
Mechanicsburg
Triad
Riverside

Catholic Central
Greenon
Miami East
Bethel
Covington
Troy Christian

Something to that effect with maybe a tweak with the Clark county teams would make a lot of sense to me. Each division would bear a fairly strong resemblance to a former league (KTC, WCOC, and SRC). In football, play two crossovers (1 from each division). In basketball, play six crossovers (3 from each division).

Without knowing numbers, if your gonna talk of league of 18 (3X6), couldn't the SWBL pull the same thing off. Bethel is small now but it is growing if they could look down the road.
Old 01-30-19, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post

You could have:
Southeastern
Greeneview
Cedarville
Northeastern
Madison-Plains
East Clinton

Fairbanks
West Liberty-Salem
West Jefferson
Mechanicsburg
Triad
Riverside

Catholic Central
Greenon
Miami East
Bethel
Covington
Troy Christian

Gut feeling is gate receipts and travel are the two taking points with these schools.
The CCC hasn't made it official but I'm pretty certain it happens.
Ft Loramie is the odd man out here. Being a football only member makes them a little unfavorable when reorganizing.
Riverside? If your talking about Riverside you have to talk Ben Logan and Indian lake.
What's to stop the CBC or OHC from expanding? So many variables.
The SWBL is a southern conference with Brookville, Milton, and Northridge being the northern teams. Adding East, Bethel or Covington is very unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-19, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

I'd consider the OHC to be far more likely than the CBC to expand beyond 12. With who appears to be likely to be available and other small town/rural schools in the vicinity that have declining enrollment, there's theoretically a lot of expansion options with ways to split divisions based on a combination of size, geography and history.

The CBC, not so much. You could within reason put Miami East and Bethel with the Mad River division schools, but there's no obvious solution to add to the Kenton Trail. There's no way they could expand to 14, as there's zero chance IMO that Urbana goes back to the Kenton Trail division. You probably have to venture to say Delaware county to find an expansion school for the KT. The only way they could go to 16 or 18 is probably by adding a 3rd division that would be of similar quality to the MR. I don't see any appeal to that.

Old 01-31-19, 12:45 AM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
My understanding is NW has been approached about the time the OHC took in Greenon NW was nice but firm in the no answer.
Old 01-31-19, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

The SWBL would have to split into North and South divisions. Can you imagine that drive from Ft Loramie to Waynesville or Monroe? SWBL could lose 4 and add 2 to be back to 12. Talawanda and Edgewood? The smallest school at that point would be Carlisle or Brookville.

Brookville, Carlisle, Waynesville, Madison, Valley View, Eaton in the Buckeye.

Franklin, Bellbrook, Monroe, Oakwood, Talawanda and Edgewood in the SW.

This whole thing needs to move forward on the CCC side before any league changes are likely. Probably 2020 season will be the first.

Miami East, Covington, Bethel, Ft Loramie are being penalized for having great athletic programs. I'm shocked this is happening.
Those are 4 quality districts. The 10 leaving are avoiding the fact that they aren't improving their situation...just creating a false sense of success. The one that shocks me most is Tri County North. They are very competitive. Ansonia is as well. Winning at all costs is what I'm seeing here?
National Trail is the one of the largest schools in the CCC. They can't be competitive?

Old 01-31-19, 08:50 AM
All District

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
The SWBL would have to split into North and South divisions. Can you imagine that drive from Ft Loramie to Waynesville or Monroe? SWBL could lose 4 and add 2 to be back to 12. Talawanda and Edgewood? The smallest school at that point would be Carlisle or Brookville.

Brookville, Carlisle, Waynesville, Madison, Valley View, Eaton in the Buckeye.

Franklin, Bellbrook, Monroe, Oakwood, Talawanda and Edgewood in the SW.

This whole thing needs to move forward on the CCC side before any league changes are likely. Probably 2020 season will be the first.

Miami East, Covington, Bethel, Ft Loramie are being penalized for having great athletic programs. I'm shocked this is happening.
Those are 4 quality districts. The 10 leaving are avoiding the fact that they aren't improving their situation...just creating a false sense of success. The one that shocks me most is Tri County North. They are very competitive. Ansonia is as well. Winning at all costs is what I'm seeing here?
National Trail is the one of the largest schools in the CCC. They can't be competitive?

I'm not surprised that TCN is fine with that. The football program as a whole is heading in the wrong direction. They lose a good Senior class this year. The coach just stepped down. Last year was the first year that there wasn't enough interest to have a pee-wee program (which I think is actually a good thing, but it's not like TCN).

It will be interesting to see how this whole thing ends up being presented when all the information comes out. Is it really just based around competing in football? All other sports this has no affect in because Fort Loramie is football only, and the other 3 schools are very average in the other sports(Bethel was good in basketball the past couple years, but that class has graduated). If that is the case it does sound bad, and this whole thing has been handled terribly.

Overall I don't think this will create a false sense of success, because it's not like this is going to get any additional schools into the football playoffs. This new league will be looking at probably only the league winner of having enough points to get in the playoffs.
Old 01-31-19, 10:52 AM
All World

ex_dc_atc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
as long as NO teams want to leave the MAC, and haven't heard that there are any( even people sitting at a bar, talking after they had a few beers in them), I think the MAC will stay where they are at.
I agree. The last thing I would expect the MAC to do is make any knee jerk decision. Similar to it's individual school's athletic programs, the MAC is a well run and well thought out league. They have a great thing going with their football scheduling as it is.
Old 01-31-19, 10:56 AM
All World

Be prepared to see Dixie and PS join the other 10 CCC schools. Which as I said on the CCC thread, I almost can't believe. I get it for travel and competition right now, but the fact that those have been SWBL schools for my near 40 years of life, it's just hard to believe.

I do expect that to affect other Buckeye Division schools. Perhaps schools such as Carlisle and Waynesville. I've heard mention of MU and Northridge joining the 4 CCC schools left out. Again, hard to believe schools like Northridge, Dixie, and PS leaving as they've been long time members of the SWBL.

The best thing for a league like the MAC is to stay put. Continue what you have going unless someone actually asks to leave the league. Until then, I see no reason they would rock the boat. As for the SWBL, I would take a wait and see approach. It might be a blessing to see a few schools panic and move. Going back to a 10 team league isn't the worst scenario. I don't think I would look to add schools at this time.
Old 01-31-19, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_dc_atc View Post
Be prepared to see Dixie and PS join the other 10 CCC schools. Which as I said on the CCC thread, I almost can't believe. I get it for travel and competition right now, but the fact that those have been SWBL schools for my near 40 years of life, it's just hard to believe.

I do expect that to affect other Buckeye Division schools. Perhaps schools such as Carlisle and Waynesville. I've heard mention of MU and Northridge joining the 4 CCC schools left out. Again, hard to believe schools like Northridge, Dixie, and PS leaving as they've been long time members of the SWBL.

The best thing for a league like the MAC is to stay put. Continue what you have going unless someone actually asks to leave the league. Until then, I see no reason they would rock the boat. As for the SWBL, I would take a wait and see approach. It might be a blessing to see a few schools panic and move. Going back to a 10 team league isn't the worst scenario. I don't think I would look to add schools at this time.

Preble joined in the late 80s I believe. Northridge being the longest member school on that list is shocking. 1950s.
Dixie joined in 75 with Valley View, Carlisle and Bellbrook.
It's hard to believe it's been 44 years! I remember it happening. Wow.
They replaced Northmont, Trotwood, W Carrollton and Butler. Greenville replaced Eaton in the early 70s.
Madison was added in 82 and I think Shawnee as well when Milton, Greenville and Tipp left.

Old 01-31-19, 11:50 AM
Freshman

JackAttack is on a distinguished road
SWBL history from their website:

History
The Southwestern Buckeye League was first started in 1944 with Vandalia Butler, Tipp City, Versailles and Milton Union as the Charter Members. In 1947, West Carrollton and Eaton were added to the League. The SWBL was again expanded in 1950-51 to include Trotwood Madison and Wilmington, but Versailles withdrew. During the 1951-52 school year, the League consisted of Butler, Eaton, Milton Union, Tippecanoe, Trotwood Madison and West Carrollton, while the sports included Football, Boys Basketball, Wrestling, Boys Tennis and Boys Track.

In 1953, Randolph (Northmont) and Oakwood entered the SWBL, making it an eight team League that lasted until 1958 when Brookville and Northridge were voted-in as members. At the close of the 1971-72 school year, Eaton dropped-out and Greenville replaced them for the next year. The next change took place at the beginning of the 1975-76 school year when Bellbrook, Carlisle, Dixie and Valley View replaced Butler, Northmont, Trotwood Madison and West Carrollton. Greenville resigned from the SWBL at the close of the 1981-82 school year and was replace by Eaton. At the close of the 1980-81 school year, Milton Union and Tippecanoe announced their withdrawal from the League after the 1981-82 school year. Middletown Madison joined the SWBL in the 1981-82 and Preble Shawnee joined in 1982-83. Both schools began competition in 1984-85.

Milton Union and Waynesville joined the SWBL in 2001-2002. Also, in 2001-2002, the SWBL became two divisions with Bellbrook, Eaton, Milton Union, Oakwood, Preble Shawnee and Valley View being the Southwestern Division. Brookville Carlisle, Dixie, Madison, Northridge and Waynesville are in the Buckeye Division Franklin and Monroe joined the SWBL in 2004-2005. Both schools began competition in 2006-2007.

Golf was added as a League sport in 1960-61, Volleyball, Girls Basketball, Girls Tennis and Girls Track in 1975-76, Softball in 1977-78, Boys Soccer in 1986-87, Girls Soccer in 1995-96 and Boys and Girls Cross Country in 1997-98. Boys and Girls Swimming were added in 2001-2002.
Old 01-31-19, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

With the GWOC/MVL split that's already going to occur, if the CCC does indeed fracture I think we'll likely see a major ripple across most of the Dayton area, similar to the major realignment that occurred in the early 2000s. Definitely interesting times.

Old 01-31-19, 03:58 PM
All World

One issue I see with PS and Dixie joining the CCC: there aren’t many schools that have wrestling, boy’s soccer, or girl’s soccer. Like 3 have wrestling, 6 have boys soccer, 7 have girls soccer.
Old 01-31-19, 04:39 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One issue I see with PS and Dixie joining the CCC: there aren’t many schools that have wrestling, boy’s soccer, or girl’s soccer. Like 3 have wrestling, 6 have boys soccer, 7 have girls soccer.
When you mean the CCC do you mean Dark/Preble or Miami county? That one news article said ME, Cov, Bethel will keep the CCC name since they are not "leaving". Makes logical sense I guess. If you mean PS and Dixie joining the darke/preble teams it seems to make sense from a geography perspective to go that route.

When does all this have to shake out? Months away?
Old 01-31-19, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I'm thinking this all goes back to gate receipts. Those sports don't bring big gates.

Old 01-31-19, 09:33 PM
All District

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
This has been in the talks for years now. Ever since Anna and ME joined the conference the talk has been it's to big and too much travel. The straw that broke the camels back is when FL joined for football as Ansonia Bradford and Covington are the only schools that are remotely close for them to play. As for TCN yes I too feel like the program is heading in the wrong direction and it has since Billy D stepped down. With the job opened up now they can get the right coach in there and build the program in the direction it needs to be. As for the pee-wee program I wish it would go away because it's turned into daddy ball that teaches the kids the wrong way to play. The SWBL is in the same boat with the last expansion they had. They added a bunch of teams from the south and made it much harder for the smaller teams that used to have success. That's why I don't see the orphan CCC teams joining the SWBL. Just think of FL going to Franklin or Waynesville.
Old 01-31-19, 11:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
This has been in the talks for years now. Ever since Anna and ME joined the conference the talk has been it's to big and too much travel. The straw that broke the camels back is when FL joined for football as Ansonia Bradford and Covington are the only schools that are remotely close for them to play. As for TCN yes I too feel like the program is heading in the wrong direction and it has since Billy D stepped down. With the job opened up now they can get the right coach in there and build the program in the direction it needs to be. As for the pee-wee program I wish it would go away because it's turned into daddy ball that teaches the kids the wrong way to play. The SWBL is in the same boat with the last expansion they had. They added a bunch of teams from the south and made it much harder for the smaller teams that used to have success. That's why I don't see the orphan CCC teams joining the SWBL. Just think of FL going to Franklin or Waynesville.
That'd be a wise decision.
Old 02-01-19, 04:33 AM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
Word on the street is Miami East has already taken down the banners of the 10 Darke/Preble County schools from their gym. I hope this is true because that’d be hilarious.
Old 02-01-19, 07:59 AM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK72 View Post
Word on the street is Miami East has already taken down the banners of the 10 Darke/Preble County schools from their gym. I hope this is true because that’d be hilarious.
Wouldn't be surprised as this was the tweet from the @MiamiEastHS account after the Bethel game last Friday.

"Tonight's East at Bethel basketball game was a great night of high school athletics. Great @bluecrewmehs at an away game. Great job Cheerleaders. Great job players. Not the result we wanted, but we look forward to to a long lasting relationship and rivalry with Bethel."
Old 02-01-19, 09:28 AM
All District

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
When you mean the CCC do you mean Dark/Preble or Miami county? That one news article said ME, Cov, Bethel will keep the CCC name since they are not "leaving". Makes logical sense I guess. If you mean PS and Dixie joining the darke/preble teams it seems to make sense from a geography perspective to go that route.

When does all this have to shake out? Months away?
I thought I read there is another meeting scheduled for next week, at that meeting a final decision could be made in regards to the changes. In regards to when the changes will go into affect, I would guess either in the fall of 2020, or the fall of 2021.