Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-29-19, 08:45 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
The idea of Milton joining 3 county schools the same size and adding a quality school like Ft Loramie makes sense from a rivalry and gate aspect for Milton. The SWBL schools don't travel to Milton. Bethel and FL would be new opponents.
Preble and Dixie would be tempted by the Preble County schools I'm sure.
The travel in the buckeye is terrible. Waynesville, Carlisle and Shawnee are just silly for Milton and those communities. But, switching conference affiliations is a huge move that Milton and others would have to undertake. Not an easy job.
Would Ft Loramie welcome Milton in a league? Travel to FL up 48/66 is about the same as driving to Carlisle. Would they join another league? Who else joins these schools to make a 7 or 8 team league? D7s Troy Christian and Lehman? For Milton, d7 schools in Football would not be good. FL would be lost for Basketball. Milton would be largest school and for playoffs that might spell trouble for football. Other sports would be fine. Wrestling, Girls sports, and Track would be fine.
I'm sure many SWBL schools would welcome Milton's departure, but MU did this back in 1982 with the SRC. Nothing is a sure thing. The SRC wasn't a good move for MU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what DIV is MU?
Old 01-29-19, 09:04 AM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
what DIV is MU?
They are DV currently. As far as what BlessEmAll was discussing with MU moving and FL being lost in basketball; Ft. Loramie is only going to be joining a league for football. They are content with the Shelby County Conference in all other sports.
Old 01-29-19, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
D5. Last years numbers they were 8 boys bigger than Miami East.

record of opponent means much more than size of school. I agree its harder to get points from a d7 over a d5. But if those d7s win their non-conference games at a better clip than the Buckeye division does, it will actually help. Miami East made it in at 8-2 last year in D5 playing mostly d6 and 7 schools. And won the region 2 years ago at 9-1 with the same schedule.
Old 01-29-19, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
CCC Changes Coming?

Quote:
what DIV is MU?

Not seeing the future, I see Milton staying D5 for some time. Bethel and East are growing.
The Buckeye is all D5s one D4 (Northridge) and a D6 in Dixie.
We finish 6-4 or 7-3 we get in. Playing D4 Oakwood and Northwestern helps. Miami East D5 helps.
I think the school size only matters in playoff points. Competition-wize, TC and Lehman can compete. Ft L obviously can compete as can Covington. Bethel, not sure. Haven't seen them. Milton hasn't ever played FL or Bethel in football.

Agreed Dograt. Buckeye opponents aren't winning much. Outside of Waynesville, Madison and Milton the buckeye stinks. Oakwood hasn't been good lately. Northwestern was decent last year.
Current football schedule:
Miami East
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Madison
Waynesville
Dixie
Valley View
Shawnee
Carlisle. (Not in order)

What could be:
Brookville
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Fort Loramie
Miami East
Covington
Troy Christian
Lehman
Bethel

You would need 7-8 conference games.

Last edited by BlessEmAll; 01-29-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
FYI - Troy Christian has been D6 the past two years in football. Basically since competitive balance kicked in.
Old 01-29-19, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

Blessem
ran last years numbers
that top schedule of yours, the teams MU played were worth 218 first level points in 2018
the bottom schedule teams were worth 272.

I realize that if those teams are all in a league together some numbers might change, and that you have to actually beat those teams to get the points (MU didn't get Madisons 47.5 first level points). I think it just shows though that smaller schools doesn't mean weaker or harder to make the playoffs.
Old 01-29-19, 10:31 AM
All District

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Blessem
ran last years numbers
that top schedule of yours, the teams MU played were worth 218 first level points in 2018
the bottom schedule teams were worth 272.

I realize that if those teams are all in a league together some numbers might change, and that you have to actually beat those teams to get the points (MU didn't get Madisons 47.5 first level points). I think it just shows though that smaller schools doesn't mean weaker or harder to make the playoffs.
Thanks for running the numbers. I didn't know the numbers but I feel like this potential new league would be nothing but a great thing for Milton Union. The conference would be a football powerhouse, and logistically it just makes sense to me.
Old 01-29-19, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Thanks Dograt. Just throwing out some what ifs. Im seeing that this might be a great move. Just being cautious.
I never really liked the SRC and some of that might be due to our lack of success in football. Basketball was a different story as was Wrestling.
I think Covington and East along with Bethel are teams that would be great rivals for MU.
Old 01-29-19, 05:26 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not seeing the future, I see Milton staying D5 for some time. Bethel and East are growing.
We finish 6-4 or 7-3 we get in. Playing D4 Oakwood and Northwestern helps. Miami East D5 helps.
I think the school size only matters in playoff points. Competition-wize, TC and Lehman can compete. Ft L obviously can compete as can Covington. Bethel, not sure. Haven't seen them. Milton hasn't ever played FL or Bethel in football.

Agreed Dograt. Buckeye opponents aren't winning much. Outside of Waynesville, Madison and Milton the buckeye stinks. Oakwood hasn't been good lately. Northwestern was decent last year.
Miami East
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Madison
Waynesville
Dixie
Valley View
Shawnee
Carlisle. (Not in order)

What could be:
Brookville
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Fort Loramie
Miami East
Covington
Troy Christian
Lehman
Bethel

people also have to look at Lehman having only 21 players on last years team....not sure what the future holds for them in enrollment and also kids going out for football
Old 01-29-19, 05:33 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
people also have to look at Lehman having only 21 players on last years team....not sure what the future holds for them in enrollment and also kids going out for football
Cutting boys Soccer would be a good start for them.
Old 01-29-19, 06:56 PM
All District

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Miami East
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Madison
Waynesville
Dixie
Valley View
Shawnee
Carlisle. (Not in order)

What could be:
Brookville
Oakwood
Northwestern
Northridge
Fort Loramie
Miami East
Covington
Troy Christian
Lehman
Bethel

Brookville and TCN have like a 10 year contract for week 1
Old 01-29-19, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Cutting boys Soccer would be a good start for them.
You're assuming they would switch to football. They could just as easily go to Troy Christian which has a very good soccer program or just stay in their home districts. My guess is out of the 15 or so kids on their soccer team maybe 5 would try football.
Old 01-29-19, 09:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
You're assuming they would switch to football. They could just as easily go to Troy Christian which has a very good soccer program or just stay in their home districts. My guess is out of the 15 or so kids on their soccer team maybe 5 would try football.
Assuming they would all go to football would be ludicrous. And if they go to Troy Christian or Fairlawn so be it. The real question is how many football kids do they lose to the soccer program. That school is not big enough to have both. Even 5 kids would help.
Old 01-29-19, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Assuming they would all go to football would be ludicrous. And if they go to Troy Christian or Fairlawn so be it. The real question is how many football kids do they lose to the soccer program. That school is not big enough to have both. Even 5 kids would help.
I think you will find it's harder for private schools to cut an athletic program if they have enough interested because they don't want to lose the students and tuition money.
Old 01-29-19, 09:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

This was the issue with the SRC and it's demise. Boys Soccer. At that time Versailles and Lehman didn't have it and everyone else did.
I'm concerned about Lehman.
Brookville was used as just a what if.

Old 01-29-19, 09:56 PM
All American

Quote:
I think you will find it's harder for private schools to cut an athletic program if they have enough interested because they don't want to lose the students and tuition money.
I'm just from a different world I guess. Is Lehman having enrollment issues like some other small Catholics?
Old 01-29-19, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm just from a different world I guess. Is Lehman having enrollment issues like some other small Catholics?
That I don't know. I am not from the area originally so I don't know what their enrollment was like 15-20 years ago.
Old 01-29-19, 10:07 PM
All American

Quote:
This was the issue with the SRC and it's demise. Boys Soccer. At that time Versailles and Lehman didn't have it and everyone else did.
I'm concerned about Lehman.
Brookville was used as just a what if.

They still don't have it. Adding it would be a disaster to their football program. Especially now with this coaching search. Look some schools can do both and still do well. Bethel seems to do ok and their enrollment is growing. Meanwhile back in Mercer County, Soccer has become one of the myriad of reasons of the downfall of Celina Football (A School about double Bethel's size).
Old 01-30-19, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
They still don't have it. Adding it would be a disaster to their football program. Especially now with this coaching search. Look some schools can do both and still do well. Bethel seems to do ok and their enrollment is growing. Meanwhile back in Mercer County, Soccer has become one of the myriad of reasons of the downfall of Celina Football (A School about double Bethel's size).

Milton started soccer my senior year ( 83-84). Before soccer we won 16 league titles in football... After we have only won 3. That's a marked decline.
Bethel never had a good football program for many years. Soccer is pretty strong there. But their expectations for football aren't on the Milton, Celina, Versailles level. I would hate to see soccer in the MAC.
My brother in law played on bethels first playoff team back in the 90s. Before that they were nothing.

Old 01-30-19, 09:52 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Milton started soccer my senior year ( 83-84). Before soccer we won 16 league titles in football... After we have only won 3. That's a marked decline.
Bethel never had a good football program for many years. Soccer is pretty strong there. But their expectations for football aren't on the Milton, Celina, Versailles level. I would hate to see soccer in the MAC.
My brother in law played on bethels first playoff team back in the 90s. Before that they were nothing.

Bethel 1985 was pretty good, think they went 7-3.
Old 01-30-19, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

crazy idea but maybe more kids want to play soccer now than football versus the 80's.
Old 01-30-19, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
crazy idea but maybe more kids want to play soccer now than football versus the 80's.

Doubtful. Most football teams field 35-45 kids. I've not seen soccer teams with that many yet. I could be very wrong though.

Old 01-30-19, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Will all of these schools, the 4 being booted, have all sports? I.e. soccer, boys tennis, wrestling, girls soccer, girls tennis, etc? Miami East Covington have wrestling. What about Bethel and FL?

Old 01-30-19, 12:21 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Doubtful. Most football teams field 35-45 kids. I've not seen soccer teams with that many yet. I could be very wrong though.
As many as 25 different kids could see the field in a football game, and more if the game is a blowout. Soccer simply doesn’t have that many opportunities for substitutions.
Old 01-30-19, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I think without a doubt soccer is more popular now than it was in the 80's.

I think you can only have 18 able to play in a HS soccer game. So a larger school like Troy would have a JV. Not sure if they have a freshmen team. A school like Centerville probably has 2 JV teams and maybe a freshmen team.
Old 01-30-19, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Will all of these schools, the 4 being booted, have all sports? I.e. soccer, boys tennis, wrestling, girls soccer, girls tennis, etc? Miami East Covington have wrestling. What about Bethel and FL?

I think Bethel has wrestling but not sure if its a full squad. I don't think FL has wrestling though.
Old 01-30-19, 12:38 PM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure FL doesnt have wrestling or soccer.
Old 01-30-19, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Pretty sure FL doesnt have wrestling or soccer.
Definitely no on soccer. They just got football less ten years ago I think. Someone will have to confirm that. But that is impressive if my memory is correct.
Old 01-30-19, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

But, FL and Lehman are much smaller schools than the others. If they were the same size and didn't have soccer, it might be a football advantage. I don't see an advantage being gained here against these possible league schools.
Old 01-30-19, 01:47 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Don't forget cross country and golf.

How many schools have boys tennis?