Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-24-19, 01:39 PM
All District

Ansoniafan is on a distinguished road
CCC Changes Coming?

County schools considering pulling out of Cross County Conference
BY SUSAN HARTLEY
STAFF WRITER
DARKE COUNTY – The Cross County Conference may look a little different by the time the 2019 football season arrives, as school districts in Darke and Preble counties are considering pulling out of the CCC.

According to Arcanum Superintendent John Stephens, “several schools are having discussions about what’s in the best interest of their student athletes. There’s been no final decision made at this time.”

Stephens said the conference is holding a board of control meeting, which includes district superintendents, athletic directors and principals, on Feb. 6.

The Cross County Conference currently includes schools from Darke, Preble, Miami and Shelby counties.

Schools that would be affected by Darke and Preble leaving the CCC would include Miami East, Bethel and Covington, and Newton in Miami County and Ft. Loramie in Shelby County.

The Early Bird also reached out to Miami East Superintendent Dr. Todd Rappold on Thursday morning.

“They (Darke County and Preble County schools) gave us a memo about their intent to leave the Cross Country Conference,” Rappold confirmed. “We’ve not received the final decision that they are leaving. If they choose to leave, we will look to fill (the conference) with other schools.”

Rappold a

lso confirmed after receiving the initial memo, he called a meeting this past Friday with all the schools to discuss the situation.

Rappold said he was “saddened” by the prospect of Darke and Preble county schools leaving the CCC.

“It just saddens me. They are apparently making decisions based on football and not considering the other sports,” he said, also pointing out “some” of these schools don’t have a football team.

Rappold also said he’s concerned that the schools wanting to pull out of the CCC are meeting to discuss leaving on their own, not as a complete board and “are not informing their own communities” about the possibility of leaving and how it would affect “long-standing rivalries.”

“It would be helpful if the schools that are giving some consideration on leaving, if they would read the league bylaws,” Rappold added. “Our frustration is they’ve apparently been meeting without all the schools in the last several months.”

Stephens said discussion and decisions concerning leaving the conference are “to be continued” and said he would inform the media about any decision made concerning Arcanum “sooner rather than later.”

In a written statement to The Early Bird, Stephens said: “Because of ongoing negotiations and discussions between several districts concerning conference affiliation, and out of respect for this process, we will not have any comments until those discussions and negotiations have concluded. Once things have finalized we will make a full and complete statement.”

Besides Arcanum, Miami East, Covington, Bethel, Newton (no football), and Ft. Loramie, schools currently part of the CCC include Ansonia, Tri-Village, Franklin Monroe (no football), Bradford, and Mississinawa Valley in Darke County and Twin Valley South, National Trail and Tri-County North in Preble County.

Last year, 10 of the 20 schools making up the Greater Western Ohio Conference (GWOC) announced the decision to split, forming the Miami Valley League (MVL).

Greenville High School will finish out this school year’s athletics with the GWOC and will begin the 2019 football season as part of the new MVL.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-19, 01:52 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
This would make the new conference one of the weakest in the state. FM already doesn't have football and Bradford is now year to year. that leaves 7 maybe 8 schools for football. That means your looking at 3-4 out of conference games. Good Luck scheduling all of those without travel being a big issue. The better schools in the conference would want to schedule East, Covington, & FL as non conference games.
Old 01-24-19, 02:00 PM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
This is crazy. I don't think they'd be able to do this for the start of the 2019-20 school year.
Old 01-24-19, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
What will be the difficulty of a, lets say, Fort Loramie, to find another conference that fits their size and not have to travel a lot for games?

Ft Loramie joining the MAC?
Old 01-24-19, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
I assume Ft Loramie would go wherever Miami East, Covington, Newton, and Bethel go?
Old 01-24-19, 02:13 PM
All District

They have a better chance of figuring something out with the other schools than joining the MAC. Is the CBC small division small enough for these schools to join?

The bigger concern is what happens if/when Bradford and Mississinawa fold their football programs?
Old 01-24-19, 02:24 PM
All District

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I assume Ft Loramie would go wherever Miami East, Covington, Newton, and Bethel go?
I would say Ft. Loramie will go with those schools for football, and I would guess they could find some other schools to join up with.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a few other schools join the other schools that are leaving.
Old 01-24-19, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK72 View Post
They have a better chance of figuring something out with the other schools than joining the MAC. Is the CBC small division small enough for these schools to join?

The bigger concern is what happens if/when Bradford and Mississinawa fold their football programs?
Indian Lake is the smallest and they just dropped to D5 in the previous enrollment, but had been in 4.

The rest are in D4 of the small division.
CBC just added some teams, one being D4 London who beat up on powerhouse Clinton Massie last year. I see London dominating the league.

With that said, I wasn't very impressed with the CBC but just too big for FL. Plus, the travel in the league sucks if you ask me, but maybe I am spoiled from the other conference I follow
Old 01-24-19, 02:32 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Ft.Loramie
Miami East
Newton
Bethel

-- New Adds Speculation--
Troy Christian
Lehman Catholic

Who else?

This could end up being not a bad small school sports conference if the right schools move over.
Old 01-24-19, 03:18 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Ft.Loramie
Miami East
Newton
Bethel

Troy Christian
Lehman Catholic

Who else?

This could end up being not a bad small school sports conference if the right schools move over.
I'd throw Milton Union in there too. I could see them wanting to join up with something like this. It makes sense with size and location of the school as well. Of course you failed to mention Covington in your list as well.
Old 01-24-19, 03:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
I'd throw Milton Union in there too. I could see them wanting to join up with something like this. It makes sense with size and location of the school as well. Of course you failed to mention Covington in your list as well.
Would covington stay with the preble/Darke schools? I did not think milton would be looking to move?
Old 01-24-19, 03:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Would covington stay with the preble/Darke schools? I did not think milton would be looking to move?
Covington was mentioned in the article as a school that would be affected by this change. I'm not for sure the details though.
Old 01-24-19, 04:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
Covington was mentioned in the article as a school that would be affected by this change. I'm not for sure the details though.
I see no way that Covington would stay in that league. I thought that the level of competition was the reason for FL and East join the league in the first place. New league is going to be bad at football.
Old 01-24-19, 04:23 PM
All Region

tvsfan
gee I agree the new league would be bad at football. If the goal is to get league championships then I guess it makes sense. But if you want to be battle tested at all for playoffs, then you are leaving the 3 most competitive teams. Really surprised at this, had not heard any rumors at all. If you can't beat 'em, leave 'em.

Of course this leads to speculation on other teams moving around. Milton Union would be an obvious choice to join the 4 teams up North. Maybe New Breman or Parkway would leave the MAC and join up with them?

Down South, Dixie is the smallest team in the SWBL. Both football and basketball have been struggling. They would be competitive with the 10 schools. Maybe Preble Shawnee too, but I don't think that they would leave the SWBL.

Last edited by tvsfan; 01-24-19 at 04:26 PM. Reason: adding a comment.
Old 01-24-19, 04:45 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Well lets think for a second. Who can they add? And would they keep the Cross County Conference name or rebrand and start over?

Ansonia
Arcanum
Bradford
Franklin Monroe (No Football)
Mississinawa Valley
National Trail
Newton (No Football)
Tri-County North
Tri-Village
Twin-Valley South

Potential Adds:

Preble Shawnee- Would they be looking to join their county rivals and join an easier league?

Hamilton New Miami- Not that far from the Preble Schools

This league will not be good in the slightest and I don't like this move very much.

As for the other schools, they could fit in the Ohio Heritage Conference if it wasn't already expanded enough already.

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 01-25-19 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added Newton
Old 01-24-19, 04:51 PM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ft.Loramie
Miami East
Newton
Bethel

Troy Christian
Lehman Catholic

Who else?

Do I hear possible "Thunder" up round Lima?
Old 01-24-19, 05:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
Do I hear possible "Thunder" up round Lima?
Not a bad Idea. It'd possibly give LCC a league.
Old 01-24-19, 05:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Well lets think for a second. Who can they add? And would they keep the Cross County Conference name or rebrand and start over?

Ansonia
Arcanum
Bradford
Mississinawa Valley
National Trail
Tri-County North
Tri-Village
Twin-Valley South

Potential Adds:

Preble Shawnee- Would they be looking to join their county rivals and join an easier league?

Hamilton New Miami- Not that far from the Preble Schools

This league will not be good in the slightest and I don't like this move very much.

As for the other schools, they could fit in the Ohio Heritage Conference if it wasn't already expanded enough already.
Introducing, an awful football conference.
Old 01-24-19, 05:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Introducing, an awful football conference.
Oh it will be downright garbage but apparently that's what they want or they wouldn't be leaving Covington, Fort Loramie, Miami East, Bethel, and Newton out to dry. What message is this sending kicking out the better athletic programs in their conference?
Old 01-24-19, 05:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Oh it will be downright garbage but apparently that's what they want or they wouldn't be leaving Covington, Fort Loramie, Miami East, Bethel, and Newton out to dry. What message is this sending kicking out the better athletic programs in their conference?
Well, those teams you mention might get a better conference.
Old 01-24-19, 05:46 PM
All American

Quote:
And I hope they do. Not sure who they can join with however.
Old 01-24-19, 06:46 PM
All District

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
This will lead into a SWBL change as well. I see a few new conferences forming (changing) because of this. I see one conference like this

North
Arcanum
Tri Village
Ansonia
Bradford
MV
West Milton
Northridge

South
Preble Shawnee
Twin Valley South
Tri County North
National Trail
Dixie
Brookville
Eaton

Then I could see Covington and FL going to the MAC and maybe ME going to with Parkway getting dropped.ME and Bethel going to OHC or CBC if ME doesn't get into MAC. With the "new" CCC it would allow 2 out of conference games and 2 interdivision games so for the teams that are bigger BV Eaton WM they could schedule enough points outside of the conference to get them in the playoffs.
Old 01-24-19, 06:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
This will lead into a SWBL change as well. I see a few new conferences forming (changing) because of this. I see one conference like this

North
Arcanum
Tri Village
Ansonia
Bradford
MV
West Milton
Northridge

South
Preble Shawnee
Twin Valley South
Tri County North
National Trail
Dixie
Brookville
Eaton

Then I could see Covington and FL going to the MAC and maybe ME going to with Parkway getting dropped.ME and Bethel going to OHC or CBC if ME doesn't get into MAC. With the "new" CCC it would allow 2 out of conference games and 2 interdivision games so for the teams that are bigger BV Eaton WM they could schedule enough points outside of the conference to get them in the playoffs.
The only team with a micro chance to get in the MAC is Fort Loramie. If Parkway bolts for the NWC then that might change but I wouldn't count on it. The MAC wont kick out Parkway as they are a charter member.

Back to the CCC.

I would think Milton would follow the other Miami county schools and not join with what north division you thought of. Northridge seems a little out of the way for the North. I do like your south division though.
Old 01-24-19, 09:07 PM
Junior Varsity

GeorgetownTiger is on a distinguished road
Some people have been mentioning Newton following Covington, East, and Bethel. From what I have heard Newton is going with the those leaving to form their own league.
Old 01-25-19, 07:12 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
https://www.tdn-net.com/category/sports
Old 01-25-19, 07:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Just football I would agree that whatever they put together would be better. As for sports as a whole I don't know if that is true. East is definitely the cream of the crop of overall sports, I think they have won the all sports award every years since joining. Cov and Bethel are like most other CCC schools, flow of classes determines amount of success in each sport.
Old 01-25-19, 08:38 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgetownTiger View Post
Some people have been mentioning Newton following Covington, East, and Bethel. From what I have heard Newton is going with the those leaving to form their own league.
I have been hearing for a few years Bethel and Miami East are creating competitive balance problems in the CCC. Those are both growing communities and the remainder of the Darkeand Preble schools are culturally different. I would think Newton and Bradford would be welcomed by those schools pulling away.

Within ten years Bethel is projected to have the same enrollment as East, and East is projected to grow by up to 25 percent over that time.
Old 01-25-19, 11:51 AM
All District

Newton is staying with the other 10 schools.
Old 01-25-19, 12:00 PM
Freshman

LetsGoBig is on a distinguished road
This new league would be for all sports. Kicking Covington, Miami East, Fort Loramie (only affected for football), Bethel would kill those schools.

Bethel and Miami East are close enough they could team up but they are leaving Covington out to dry.

The new conference with all those teams would be rotten across the board in almost all sports. Maybe a blip on the radar in some sports such as Bradford's softball.

Boys Basketball--All those teams stink
Football-- All those teams stink (Miss Valley, Bradford barely have enough numbers)
Baseball--Outside of TCN all those teams stink!
Girls Basketball- All those teams STINK!
Volleyball-- All those teams STINK!

all those schools get rocked in every OHSAA tournament outside the blips.

This is a heckuva move for those kids. Teach em that if you can't compete, don't worry about working harder.....we will just quit and play other teams that STINK!

These communities and administrators should be embarrassed this is the example they are setting for their children.
Old 01-25-19, 12:08 PM
All District

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
You'd have to think Sidney Lehman would be all over joining up with Loramie, Miami East, Covington and Bethel. You're up to five now. My guess is finding 2-3 more compatible schools won't be easy, but also maybe won't be hard. LCC is obviously there lurking as an option. If it took them to get to eight members does anyone say no?

It's a weird spot to be in for these four schools - you drop the dead weight but you lose schedule filler.