Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-10-18, 12:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Big932 is on a distinguished road
Miamisburg

From what I've read on here and heard spread through the community, it seems that current HC Channell is leaving for Hamilton.

What coaches are available/will apply to be the next head coach at the Burg?

I believe this will be a highly sought after job given the recent success. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-18, 01:17 PM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big932 View Post
From what I've read on here and heard spread through the community, it seems that current HC Channell is leaving for Hamilton.

What coaches are available/will apply to be the next head coach at the Burg?

I believe this will be a highly sought after job given the recent success. Thoughts?
If they want to stick with what they are doing, they hire Fred Cranford.

If they need to open things up and change the culture, I'm sure there will be no shortage of good applicants to choose from.
Old 12-10-18, 07:40 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Channell also wasn't going to be returning... close buddy of mine in the MVFCA told me there were things that happened behind closed doors that is forcing him out. Don't know specifics but my source has close Mburg ties.
Old 12-10-18, 08:47 PM
All Region

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
If they want to stick with what they are doing, they hire Fred Cranford.

If they need to open things up and change the culture, I'm sure there will be no shortage of good applicants to choose from.
I heard they would like to stay with the wing-t....why would they need to hire fred. he had a couple good seasons with loveland and thats it and thats because he had the good rb and when he graduated they can barely win 5 games.... I would hire of the staff or hire his previous DC that left for trotwood he would be a great fit. From what i heard the community was hurt when he left, because they said he was for the kids.
Old 12-11-18, 04:30 AM
Junior Varsity

IrishBuckeye is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sure the community and administration will be happy to get somebody in there who doesn’t rip his shirt off every week on the sidelines. Hopefully there are some talented seamstresses in Hamilton. From what I hear from friends there may be a celebration when it becomes official and he’s gone!
There will be no shortage of good, qualified candidates for this job. In today’s landscape of high school athletics it’s becoming a rarity that you find a place with great administrative support AND community support. It seems that Miamisburg has both. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if some big names put in for this job.
They seem to have a pretty good staff in place. Defensively they were outstanding in 2018. It seems to me that if they find the right guy it could almost be plug and play if he’s able to keep the majority of the current staff intact. They dressed over 100 in 2016, and were below 70 in 2018. Hopefully the next HC can breath some excitement back into the program for the Vikings!
Old 12-11-18, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Breathe some excitement back into the program? Miamisburg won a total of 6 games in 4 seasons before Channell got there. I’d say more like keep the positive momentum going.
Old 12-11-18, 07:40 AM
All Region

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBuckeye View Post
I am sure the community and administration will be happy to get somebody in there who doesn’t rip his shirt off every week on the sidelines. Hopefully there are some talented seamstresses in Hamilton. From what I hear from friends there may be a celebration when it becomes official and he’s gone!
There will be no shortage of good, qualified candidates for this job. In today’s landscape of high school athletics it’s becoming a rarity that you find a place with great administrative support AND community support. It seems that Miamisburg has both. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if some big names put in for this job.
They seem to have a pretty good staff in place. Defensively they were outstanding in 2018. It seems to me that if they find the right guy it could almost be plug and play if he’s able to keep the majority of the current staff intact. They dressed over 100 in 2016, and were below 70 in 2018. Hopefully the next HC can breath some excitement back into the program for the Vikings!
Excitement? I never even heard of Miamisburg until he got there.
Old 12-11-18, 11:16 AM
All District

rockies.101 is on a distinguished road
Channell did a great job with Miamsburg. Chris Wells the former Middletown coach would be a great coach to get. He knows defense and he loves the wing T. If you can't get Wells than you get Cranford. Truth is you might be able to get both as they are friends.
Old 12-11-18, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Cranford would be a great hire. Wells is better suited in a private school environment. Poff from Madison would also be a name to consider, but I highly doubt he has any interest in leaving Madison.
Old 12-11-18, 12:09 PM
All District

Knoch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The low numbers from 2016 to 2018, had to do with the current freshmen staff because they played iron man football. There future QB got hurt playing both JV and freshmen games and he left for Trotwood, but for other reasons...and after that 2016 season lost a bunch of great athletes because they did not develop kids. Many did not even see the field. The only level that counts is varsity I do not recall seeing scores and highlights from a freshman game.

Also I heard that if he gets the Hamilton job he is taking current DC for Burg with him.
Old 12-11-18, 12:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoch View Post
The low numbers from 2016 to 2018, had to do with the current freshmen staff because they played iron man football. There future QB got hurt playing both JV and freshmen games and he left for Trotwood, but for other reasons...and after that 2016 season lost a bunch of great athletes because they did not develop kids. Many did not even see the field. The only level that counts is varsity I do not recall seeing scores and highlights from a freshman game.

Also I heard that if he gets the Hamilton job he is taking current DC for Burg with him.
Wow! Wholesale changes on the way then!

Kind of surprising to see guys leaving.

As a fan, hoping for the best!
Old 12-11-18, 01:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Maybe those guys see the writing on the wall?

The GWOC is going to be a meat grinder, and on average they'll have a much smaller pool of boys to draw from than the other GWOC schools.

Could be some lean years coming up for the Burg if the right hire isn't made.
Old 12-11-18, 02:25 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The GWOC is going to be a meat grinder, and on average they'll have a much smaller pool of boys to draw from than the other GWOC schools.

Looks like a Senior dominated team. SR QB, top 4 rushers SRs, top 6 Receivers SRs, top 6 Tackles SRs. Have heard rumors (and I stress rumors) of off field stuff, losing a good class and a tougher league play but it could be tough for a lot of coaches. Agree, they will need just the right coach (and the former DC Black ain't it - some guys are better coordinators than Head Coaches).
Old 12-11-18, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:

And Hamilton is a more stable option than Miamisburg? I highly doubt that.
Old 12-11-18, 02:53 PM
All American

thehawg27 is on a distinguished road
I'd repeat that the "Channell is going to Hamilton" talk is merely speculation and nothing is likely to be decided by tonights Hamilton board meeting. The hawg has been known to be wrong on occasion but my source says Hamilton won't have a football coach by the end of 12/11 boe meeting.
Old 12-13-18, 06:56 AM
All District

Knoch is on a distinguished road
Channell does not get Hamilton Job

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...XWyYl1puM80rK/
Old 12-13-18, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoch View Post
This is now going to get really interesting. He has fallen out of favor with the administration and now the parents over this move. Kids are kids and don't seem to care. He was already in the dog house for off the field issues.
Old 12-13-18, 10:22 AM
All District

HSfootballfan21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
This is now going to get really interesting. He has fallen out of favor with the administration and now the parents over this move. Kids are kids and don't seem to care. He was already in the dog house for off the field issues.
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The word in the Burg is there will be some lean years talent wise and with Steve's age not sure how many years he has left. I know the 7th grade team is loaded. But that is years down the road. I wonder if he will try for the Colerain job or if they would be interested bringing in the Wing-T. If he stays, how will the relationship be? With Burg's facilities, I think they will have no problem finding a new coach if he does leave.
Old 12-13-18, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfootballfan21 View Post
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The word in the Burg is there will be some lean years talent wise and with Steve's age not sure how many years he has left. I know the 7th grade team is loaded. But that is years down the road. I wonder if he will try for the Colerain job or if they would be interested bringing in the Wing-T. If he stays, how will the relationship be? With Burg's facilities, I think they will have no problem finding a new coach if he does leave.
Having one loaded class usually doesn't translate into being overly successful if the classes around them are weak. Multiple weak classes (especially back to back classes) is a recipe for mediocrity at best.
Old 12-13-18, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw69 View Post
Having one loaded class usually doesn't translate into being overly successful if the classes around them are weak. Multiple weak classes (especially back to back classes) is a recipe for mediocrity at best.
He took his previous team to a State championship game. He suspended his talented running back for the first half and almost came back to win.
Old 12-13-18, 12:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfootballfan21 View Post
He can cruise on up the road to West Carrollton. It's open. He can prove that he can take another struggling program and make it great. Yes, it's open.
Old 12-14-18, 08:47 AM
All District

HSfootballfan21 is on a distinguished road
I think they stick with the wing-T, all the boys have been running the wing-T since they were in 2nd grade.
Old 12-14-18, 12:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
He can cruise on up the road to West Carrollton. It's open. He can prove that he can take another struggling program and make it great. Yes, it's open.
He has to have a great staff behind him. He can’t do it by himself and don’t to many coaches wanna coach with him....
Old 12-14-18, 01:07 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Is Channell out or is this just hearsay from some disgruntled parents?
Old 12-14-18, 05:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
Looks like a Senior dominated team. SR QB, top 4 rushers SRs, top 6 Receivers SRs, top 6 Tackles SRs. Have heard rumors (and I stress rumors) of off field stuff, losing a good class and a tougher league play but it could be tough for a lot of coaches. Agree, they will need just the right coach (and the former DC Black ain't it - some guys are better coordinators than Head Coaches).
Sound like you know him personally?? How do you know he want be a good head coach. From what I hear steve took him under his wing and molded him to be a head coach and his successor. But then he left for what ever reason and went to Trotwood.
Old 12-14-18, 05:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
Is Channell out or is this just hearsay from some disgruntled parents?
I haven’t heard anything. I did see that they hired someone else for the Hamilton position so I wonder what happened. I wonder if he’ll apply somwhere else?
Old 12-14-18, 07:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher 2.0 View Post
Sound like you know him personally?? How do you know he want be a good head coach. From what I hear steve took him under his wing and molded him to be a head coach and his successor. But then he left for what ever reason and went to Trotwood.
Just think it is hard for a non-teacher to be a HC at a DI school in football because you have to ride heard over so many bodies. From what I hear Channel shot him down at West Carrollton with a negative recommendation. The comment about being a better DC than HC is based on those factors. Now, if M'burg would create something for him then that could be a different story.
Old 12-14-18, 07:15 PM
Junior Varsity

Would have to think it would be an incredibly rare thing for a school of Miamisburg’s stature to have to turn to a former DC with zero HC experience. If that guy can’t get the West Carrollton job no chance he would get a sniff @ Burg. If they had to stoop to that level they’ve got major issues over there. Sounds like there’s still some uncertainty over there. Shame to see.
Old 12-14-18, 09:48 PM
Junior Varsity

GGB974 is on a distinguished road
I believe FBGuy is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
Going to get very interesting. From what I am hearing, not sure Channell can keep his job, but I could be way off. You know how rumors go. I have heard that he wasn't honest with administration or anyone who was listening for that matter. One of the funniest things I was told was that his Dcoordinator who he trusted and was going with him to Hamilton was feeding Burg admin the info of what was actually going down due to Channell not being up front with his administration. Not sure how true that is, but not much would surprise me at this point.....Regardless, bad situation in the Burg right now with what appears to be a cupboard much less stocked than when he arrived and a head coach who doesn't want to be there...say what you want, he has tried to leave more than once now and his "reputation" seems to be getting the best of him...IMO...not that it matters, Channell will be out and current not former Dcoordinaror will be the next head coach.... maybe I am way off or maybe you heard it here first...time will tell.
Old 12-15-18, 03:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Would have to think it would be an incredibly rare thing for a school of Miamisburg’s stature to have to turn to a former DC with zero HC experience. If that guy can’t get the West Carrollton job no chance he would get a sniff @ Burg. If they had to stoop to that level they’ve got major issues over there. Sounds like there’s still some uncertainty over there. Shame to see.
How would they have major issues.... it’s a lot of dc that took over programs with no head coaching experience. Look at Butler there HC was a dc with no HC experience... and him not getting WC Job is because steve talked bad about him.