Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-04-18, 04:41 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Bobby Knight pinned by Olympic Gold Medalist

So here's the story from wiki about Bobby Knight being pinned (to a wall) and served a heaping dose of humble pie.........

"1960 Olympic gold medalist Douglas Blubaugh was head wrestling coach at IU from 1973 to 1984. Early in his tenure while he jogged in the practice facility during basketball practice, Knight yelled at him to leave, using more than one expletive. Blubaugh pinned Knight to a wall, and told him never to repeat his performance. He never did!"

(Also just read Knight was born in Massillon)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 05:27 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Blubaugh was one bad dude. His favorite quote was, "I am tougher than I am good." He was an NCAA and Olympic champ and died at the age of 76 from a motorcycle accident.

From Intermat:
On the evening of May 16, Blubaugh was riding his motorcycle when he was struck by a pickup truck that ran a stop sign in Tonkawa, the town he called home. He was knocked off the bike, fully conscious, and initially refused medical treatment, insisting he could walk home. He died on the way to the hospital in Blackwell, Okla.

Wayne Baughman, a three-time Olympian, NCAA champ for the Oklahoma Sooners, and, for nearly three decades head coach at the U.S. Air Force Academy, said, "The first time I remember seeing Doug was when he came to OU to train for the '60 Olympic team. He looked like he was chiseled from a block of granite. He had muscles everywhere, even on his fingers."

"I thought I'd been sentenced to death when Port Robertson [Oklahoma wrestling coach] made me Doug's primary workout partner even though I weighed 180 compared to Doug's 160," Baughman continued. "Doug's style was extremely aggressive. He had the hardest head literally, and somewhat figuratively, of anyone I've ever wrestled; and, because of his poor vision, he kept in right in your face. I walked off the mat after every workout feeling as if I'd been the beat up with a jackhammer. I had continuous scrapes, cuts and bruises. He also had the toughest bottom defense I have ever encountered. He was like trying to turn or move a fireplug."
Old 07-08-18, 01:43 PM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
I had heard this story when I was a teenager. The entire country was scared to death to get in the path of Bobby Knight in his prime. Not Doug. Doug knew his bark was louder than his bite. The single toughest SOB I've ever met.
Old 07-08-18, 05:41 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Used to run a mean front headlock camp.