Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-18, 11:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Tallmadge Head Coaching Position Opens Up

Coach Mike Bluey has taken the North Canton Hoover job. Who will be some of the candidates looking to fill this position?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-18, 11:54 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Chad Hazzared has thrown his hat into the ring. I have heard he is the favorite.
Old 05-15-18, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

hs sports fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Chad Hazzared has thrown his hat into the ring. I have heard he is the favorite.
Hazard's hat is in a few other rings, so Tallmadge may want to act fast if they want him.
Old 05-15-18, 06:35 PM
All District

Akronite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Somebody please hire this young man. Please
Old 05-16-18, 03:30 PM
Go Buckeyes

Heard Justin Little and Bill Johnson put in for this job. Both have connections to the school.
Old 05-17-18, 07:39 AM
Varsity

WreckingBall is on a distinguished road
I don't think the job has even been posted yet. Probably a lot going on with baseball still making a run.

I think Johnson gets it. Lot of experience as a boys assistant and a girls head coach in the area, including at Tallmadge.

Little might get a courtesy interview, but he'll just end up with Bluey at Hoover. Can't imagine he actually has a shot at the head job at Tallmadge.
Old 05-17-18, 08:06 AM
Moderated User

The AD clearly has his interests in the baseball program with his sons playing. Basketball has taken a far back seat...Not fair to these kids and parents.
Old 05-23-18, 07:23 AM
Freshman

Zipper86 is on a distinguished road
Tallmadge job officially posted on OHSAA as of yesterday. Guess they are not "automatically" giving it to anyone in house.
Old 05-23-18, 10:55 AM
Varsity

Crazy Cabby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingBall View Post
I don't think the job has even been posted yet. Probably a lot going on with baseball still making a run.

I think Johnson gets it. Lot of experience as a boys assistant and a girls head coach in the area, including at Tallmadge.

Little might get a courtesy interview, but he'll just end up with Bluey at Hoover. Can't imagine he actually has a shot at the head job at Tallmadge.
Why in the world would they intrust a program with Johnson? Experience as a girls coach, and losing experience at that. Saw his team at Lake play vs Copley, was quite a scene. I hope someone gives Rod Swartz another chance. Seems like a good community for his style. Mogadore has taken to his brother.
Old 05-23-18, 12:48 PM
Varsity

Smokin' Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cabby View Post
Why in the world would they intrust a program with Johnson? Experience as a girls coach, and losing experience at that. Saw his team at Lake play vs Copley, was quite a scene. I hope someone gives Rod Swartz another chance. Seems like a good community for his style. Mogadore has taken to his brother.
I hear you...I mean, he only took a laughing stock of a girls program at Tallmadge and won a District Championship
Old 05-23-18, 04:58 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Mind explaining what you mean by "quite a scene"?

He took over a Lake team that was clearly outmatched in the Federal League and did about as well as anybody could have expected in two years.

As a girls coach at Tallmadge, he had a ton of success, so I'm not sure why you'd classify his experience as losing experience.
Old 05-24-18, 06:56 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Mind explaining what you mean by "quite a scene"?

He took over a Lake team that was clearly outmatched in the Federal League and did about as well as anybody could have expected in two years.

As a girls coach at Tallmadge, he had a ton of success, so I'm not sure why you'd classify his experience as losing experience.
I am sorry. You are both right. He will do an amazing job. Best of luck to BJ.
Old 05-25-18, 07:04 AM
Junior Varsity

Summitsports is on a distinguished road
Tallmadge needs motivated

From what I saw from Tallamsdge this past season is a unmotivated team with lackluster performances. I watched Hazzard coach this year and in the past and he passion and does a great job with the kids, BJ took over a Lake team that was over matched in the federal league, but had considerable drop off in year 2 after expectations where set. I feel Seeker has his finger on the pulse of the community and will make a good hire. Need a Coach that will build a program.
Old 05-25-18, 07:18 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitsports View Post
From what I saw from Tallamsdge this past season is a unmotivated team with lackluster performances. I watched Hazzard coach this year and in the past and he passion and does a great job with the kids, BJ took over a Lake team that was over matched in the federal league, but had considerable drop off in year 2 after expectations where set. I feel Seeker has his finger on the pulse of the community and will make a good hire. Need a Coach that will build a program.
Do you think Hazzard could do it with "suburban" kids? Hazzared would not survive at Tallmadge because the moment he calls a kid a "-cat" they would cry to mommy.
Old 05-25-18, 07:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Do you think Hazzard could do it with "suburban" kids? Hazzared would not survive at Tallmadge because the moment he calls a kid a "-cat" they would cry to mommy.
Maybe Tallamadge needs a little "swagger" and Hazzard might be the guy to bring it!
Old 05-25-18, 08:25 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitsports View Post
Maybe Tallamadge needs a little "swagger" and Hazzard might be the guy to bring it!
Old 05-25-18, 08:49 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
This is true. Haz speaks to the kids like they speak to each other on the playground. He pulls no punches.
He'll get a chance to coach Ellet varsity if he sticks around...
Old 05-25-18, 09:28 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I am sorry. You are both right. He will do an amazing job. Best of luck to BJ.
Nobody saying he's a home run hire, but he has ties to the community, including past success as a coach at the school.

Makes a lot of sense for them.
Old 05-25-18, 10:54 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Nobody saying he's a home run hire, but he has ties to the community, including past success as a coach at the school.

Makes a lot of sense for them.
I think you mean it makes a lot of sense for Johnson to want to be hired. I changed my mind again. After talking to a boys coach at Lake, he said BJ did a "sucky job". Spent more time hanging in the coaches office than he did on the floor. He will put the program back if he's hired. But if you yell at me, i may change my mind again. So please tell me all the great things he's done with girls basketball. I think I remember some, district championship, what else again?
Old 05-25-18, 11:06 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I think you mean it makes a lot of sense for Johnson to want to be hired. I changed my mind again. After talking to a boys coach at Lake, he said BJ did a "sucky job". Spent more time hanging in the coaches office than he did on the floor. He will put the program back if he's hired. But if you yell at me, i may change my mind again. So please tell me all the great things he's done with girls basketball. I think I remember some, district championship, what else again?
WOW! That is not the kind of comment I want coming from another coach, "hanging in the coaches office" I know he won a District Title at tallmadge and many of those girls went on to play college basketball.
Old 05-25-18, 11:23 AM
Varsity

My thinking is if a coach went from Tallmadge (girls) to Lake (girls), which is a huge step up in who you will play night in and night out. And struggled with that step. To go from Lake (girls) to Tallmadge (boys) is another big step upward. It seems like Coach should be taking steps back down the stairs to a more comfortable level rather than heading up the stairs to a new level.

Id love to see some of the names that were on the Mck and Hoover lists put their names in the ring. Brody Jackson from Manchester would be a great choice. But who knows if he is even interested.
Old 05-25-18, 06:16 PM
Varsity

He took over the worst team in the Federal League who had just graduated their only good player. Coach K wouldn't have gotten Lake to .500 the last two years.

Seems like you have an axe to grind with Johnson. Making up fake quotes from anonymous coaches to trash somebody is rather sad.

Also, you realize Brody Jackson is a head coach at a division 3 college program, right? Tallmadge isn't McKinley or Hoover when it comes to hoops.
Old 05-25-18, 07:39 PM
Varsity

Quote:
He took over the worst team in the Federal League who had just graduated their only good player. Coach K wouldn't have gotten Lake to .500 the last two years.

Seems like you have an axe to grind with Johnson. Making up fake quotes from anonymous coaches to trash somebody is rather sad.

Also, you realize Brody Jackson is a head coach at a division 3 college program, right? Tallmadge isn't McKinley or Hoover when it comes to hoops.
Yes I realize itís not McK or Hoover thatís why we are talking about Coach Johnson as a candidate. And Iím not making the story up.

I also realize that Jackson is a coach at Pitt Greensburg. A simple google search told me. Since we are sharing realizations you do realize itís very classy to blame a coaches poor record on 14-18 yr old girls. A coach is supposed to improve their skill not use their inabilities as reasons for their poor record. Maybe thatís why he failed he saw it as him and his players as seperates instead of a team working for a common goal. Win as a team (he took a team and win a District Championship), lose as a team his poor record at Lake.

So your telling me he took that job blindly not knowing there was little talent. And having to play girls from McK, Hoover, Jackson, and Perry. Shame on him then. And only proves my point more he will set Talmadge back.
Old 05-25-18, 08:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Yes I realize itís not McK or Hoover thatís why we are talking about Coach Johnson as a candidate. And Iím not making the story up.

I also realize that Jackson is a coach at Pitt Greensburg. A simple google search told me. Since we are sharing realizations you do realize itís very classy to blame a coaches poor record on 14-18 yr old girls. A coach is supposed to improve their skill not use their inabilities as reasons for their poor record. Maybe thatís why he failed he saw it as him and his players as seperates instead of a team working for a common goal. Win as a team (he took a team and win a District Championship), lose as a team his poor record at Lake.

So your telling me he took that job blindly not knowing there was little talent. And having to play girls from McK, Hoover, Jackson, and Perry. Shame on him then. And only proves my point more he will set Talmadge back.
Wow, you're creating quite the strawman argument. Neither I nor Johnson are blaming the girls. You're the only one throwing blame around here. I'm just stating facts. Lake showed improvement from year 1 to year 2 under Johnson, and probably would have shown improvement in year 3 as well.

You're either making up the quote, or talking to an idiot because I'll bet if you talk to McBride or Bogdan they'd have nothing but good things to say about the job BJ did.

And if you realize the job Brody has, and that Tallmadge isn't McKinley then why did you mention him as a possible candidate?

Again, you definitely have some sort of personal vendetta to come in here and trash this guy when all anybody said was that it would make sense for Tallmadge to hire him.
Old 05-25-18, 10:54 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Wow, you're creating quite the strawman argument. Neither I nor Johnson are blaming the girls. You're the only one throwing blame around here. I'm just stating facts. Lake showed improvement from year 1 to year 2 under Johnson, and probably would have shown improvement in year 3 as well.

You're either making up the quote, or talking to an idiot because I'll bet if you talk to McBride or Bogdan they'd have nothing but good things to say about the job BJ did.

And if you realize the job Brody has, and that Tallmadge isn't McKinley then why did you mention him as a possible candidate?

Again, you definitely have some sort of personal vendetta to come in here and trash this guy when all anybody said was that it would make sense for Tallmadge to hire him.
I guess I’m not allowed to think that it doesn’t make sense for Tallmadge to hire him. I guess I have to agree with your opinion. Well you’ve done it. I agree. I’d love to see him hired. I think he will lead Tallmadge in the right direction. Question if I’m making things up and you seem to have the inside info on who would say what about Coach Johnson, didn’t his all league junior PG quit her senior year. How many girls were not coming back next year? How many of his coaches were coming back? When I say i talked to one of the boys coaches I did. And I will tell you that the opinion you believe they have of Coach may be true but they had no problem airing the dirty laundry.

And wake up this is what Yappi is, it’s an anonymous place for people to post information. May not be what you think or you want to hear. But if I say i talked to someone I did. I’m not making things up to be funny. It’s true. Sorry. Maybe liking someone is totally different from thinking they did a good job.

And again, i don’t know much about Lake or Tallmadge. I know what I see if they play wadsworth. But I know some coaches at Lake. Got to talking, the truth serum was flowing, and coach Johnson came up.
Old 05-26-18, 05:26 AM
Varsity

You don’t have to think he’d be a good hire, but you definitely seem to have it out for him. Especially considering you said you know nothing outside of what teams do against Wadsworth, and then come in here with all this supposed info about Johnson and his teams.

Who knows how much of his coaching staff was coming back? None of them worked in the district, so there could be a lot of reasons for one of them to step aside.

As far as a girl quitting, again, who knows? High schoolers make decisions for a plethora of reasons. Lake still got better from year 1 to year 2.

If you’re a Wadsworth guy, ask Coach Booth about Johnson. There’s a guy whose opinion I’d respect respect a lot more than some anonymous assistant at Lake.
Old 06-12-18, 08:40 PM
Go Buckeyes

Anyone know if the new coach is Bill Johnson?

Saw a post "welcome back to Tallmadge." Guessing this is about boys basketball but not sure...
Old 06-15-18, 03:05 PM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Bill Johnson was named the Head Basketball Coach at Tallmadge. There was an article in the Tallmadge express on June 13th I believe outlining this story.
Old 06-15-18, 04:00 PM
Go Buckeyes

Found it. Thanks!

Johnson returns to Tallmadge to coach boys basketball

Quote:
Bill Johnson already has had success coaching basketball at Tallmadge High School.

Johnson coached the Tallmadge girls basketball program from 2010 to 2014, leading the Blue Devils to a district championship in 2014, which was their first since reaching the state semifinal in 1999.

So when he got the opportunity, Johnson jumped at the chance to return to the sidelines at James O. Maddox Court.

“It was a great place the first time around,” Johnson said. “It’s really exciting to be back.”

Johnson was introduced Monday to Tallmadge players as the new head boys basketball coach. His position was confirmed Tuesday at a special meeting of the Tallmadge Board of Education.
Read more:
http://www.mytownneo.com/sports/2018...oys-basketball