Old 10-12-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Waiting for City permits. I believe at least one variance was needed for signage and there was some concern for fire/EMT access. I think it is close to being worked out.
Mike Dyer just tweeted that groundbreaking will be Wednesday morning.
Old 10-15-18, 08:08 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Was listening for X score Friday at halftime and fell into an interview by the Admissions guy. He was openly calling on 5th,6th and 7th graders city wide to “ come on out” to Open House if X may be of interest to them! Elder and the other GCL Schools encourage this? Never heard promoting schools to 5th& 6th graders before. Thought it was great idea though.
Old 10-15-18, 10:45 AM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
If we’re talking strictly about #s, E has to do a much better job with St Ignatius. I’m looking at the current freshman class roster and only 2 are from Ignatius.

They pulled in about 10 from OH Schools and 4-5 from Harrison which is a good start. I think 15-20 every yr from OH Schools is reasonable, though it looks to be heavily skewed towards RR.
Old 11-19-18, 08:02 AM
Freshman

Noeyboey is on a distinguished road
I have a current 8th grade daughter and attended Seton's open house. They told us about 500 girls came through the school (grades 5 - 8 I think). During the Principal's presentation, she mentioned the current 8th grade class dynamics being a big birth year for girls.

My daughter's 8th grade class has something like 34 children, 9 of which are boys. That singular sample seems to support the statement. I was curious if anyone else heard something similar? If so, Elder might have another small freshen class next year.
Old 11-19-18, 08:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeyboey View Post
I have a current 8th grade daughter and attended Seton's open house. They told us about 500 girls came through the school (grades 5 - 8 I think). During the Principal's presentation, she mentioned the current 8th grade class dynamics being a big birth year for girls.

My daughter's 8th grade class has something like 34 children, 9 of which are boys. That singular sample seems to support the statement. I was curious if anyone else heard something similar? If so, Elder might have another small freshen class next year.
Again...thatís just another reason Elder needs non feeders. How did Elderís Open House go? Was anyone there?
Old 11-19-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Seton has this figured out. They have staff, alumni and students constantly creating the feel good story for Seton. It's not just one person. They created this culture and empowered it throughout the entire student body and alot of the alumni base and it's message is hitting the mark.

It's execution on a strategy at its finest.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 11-19-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
Seton has this figured out. They have staff, alumni and students constantly creating the feel good story for Seton. It's not just one person. They created this culture and empowered it throughout the entire student body and alot of the alumni base and it's message is hitting the mark.

Im a big fan of Seton and hope it doubles in size. But you realize their biggest rival for students went out of business right? Seton still loses a significant number of kids to SUA (mostly bitter Mercy moms) and to McAulay. Yes, they are growing, but much of that is b/c 400 girls who would be at Mercy now have to make another choice.
Old 11-19-18, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

And you will do whatever you can to simply disagree with everything I post.

I know that and you know that.

But at some point, you have to lay the blame where the blame lies. And it's not me.
Old 11-19-18, 09:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Im a big fan of Seton and hope it doubles in size. But you realize their biggest rival for students went out of business right? Seton still loses a significant number of kids to SUA (mostly bitter Mercy moms) and to McAulay. Yes, they are growing, but much of that is b/c 400 girls who would be at Mercy now have to make another choice.
Trey will continue to ignore facts so he can keep trashing Elder. Seton hit a windfall with Mercy closing. It really is the equivalent for Elder if LS went under.

That said, I’m not listening to any bs excuses if Frosh enrollment is under 200. IDGAF how skewed the boy-girl ratio is, do whatever you have to do.
Old 11-19-18, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You, sir, don't get it.

The point is, they PROACTIVELY and AGGRESSIVELY went out and ACTIVELY pursued these girls. With passion. With energy. With a vision. With a strategy.

They don't win in this regard without this. Yes, Elder can learn some things from these girls schools if they swallow their pride and admit they need some help in this regard.
Old 11-19-18, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post

That said, I’m not listening to any bs excuses if enrollment is under 200. IDGAF what you do, just get it over 200.
This is another thing you've said for many years, and every year, they fall below your threshold.

Same cycle.

Do you want to put money on them getting to 200 for next year's class? Easiest money ever.
Old 11-19-18, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Biggest reason for Seton's jump is the closing of Mercy.
Old 11-19-18, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And you will do whatever you can to simply disagree with everything I post.

I know that and you know that.

But at some point, you have to lay the blame where the blame lies. And it's not me.
Because you dont support any statements with facts. So I call you out and prove you wrong with facts, over and over.

400 new west-side girls had to choose another high school. Even if Seton did absolutely nothing, their enrollment numbers would increase

You are a new poster and I can tell you are having trouble. I will try to cut you some slack.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 11-19-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
That is a slap in the face to Seton.

Ask anyone with a pulse. This aspect of their school is super, super strong, and it shows.
Old 11-19-18, 09:36 AM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
If you're on here b! $ching about enrollment and do not or did not have a kid going/went to elder then you're part of the problem....just saying.......also if you're complaining then what are you going to do to help change it? Bc whining about it is not going to change a thing.
Old 11-19-18, 09:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Because you dont support any statements with facts. So I call you out and prove you wrong with facts, over and over.

400 new west-side girls girls had to choose another high school. Even if Seton did absolutely nothing, their enrollment numbers would increase

You are a new poster and I can tell you are having trouble. I will try to cut you some slack.
What facts can I provide that back up the obvious decline of Elder athletics? Would you like me to start posting winning percentages and they have you try to talk yourself out of that too?

You can't answer these questions with facts. They are the result of past decisions. You have to assess which of those decisions have caused the most harm, evaluate them, and change.

You don't change your trajectory looking at facts. You look in the mirror.

You all know this, but will continue to nit pick because how dare anyone call out almighty Elder. It's a joke.
Old 11-19-18, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
If you're on here b! $ching about enrollment and do not or did not have a kid going/went to elder then you're part of the problem....just saying.......also if you're complaining then what are you going to do to help change it? Bc whining about it is not going to change a thing.
They asked my opinion, I gave it, and they ignored me (and all of us).

Let me jump right back on that wagon.
Old 11-19-18, 09:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Heís got an agenda, to tear down the school. He plays off anyone calling him out as either being ok with the status quo or ignoring reality.

The difference bw myself and Trey is I donít have my ego tied up in seeing Elder fail. The only thing I care about is seeing them become succesful, and if that means one of my critiques is proven wrong, Iím actually happy about it.
Old 11-19-18, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

What Omar is saying is not true. My agenda is not to tear down the school or to see them fail.

It's quite the opposite. I'm seeing them fail, and can't understand why they continue to do things the same way.
Old 11-19-18, 11:16 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Trey will continue to ignore facts so he can keep trashing Elder. Seton hit a windfall with Mercy closing. It really is the equivalent for Elder if LS went under.

That said, Iím not listening to any bs excuses if Frosh enrollment is under 200. IDGAF how skewed the boy-girl ratio is, do whatever you have to do.
I hope it is not the case, but what if the boy-girl ratio starts with a class size like the Freshmen class a couple of years ago? If Elder is having problems getting non feeder boys into the school, what can they do to pull 30 or 40 boys next year to get them to 200?
Old 11-19-18, 11:33 AM
All World

Quote:
I hope it is not the case, but what if the boy-girl ratio starts with a class size like the Freshmen class a couple of years ago? If Elder is having problems getting non feeder boys into the school, what can they do to pull 30 or 40 boys next year to get them to 200?
I know I’m repeating myself, but if your Feeder Base doesn’t have the #s, you can’t just lie back and go “oh well, too bad.” And I’m not suggesting that’s what they’re doing. However, I would like to put my foot square up the azz of some the people who don’t want kids from outside the Feeder network. They don’t have the school’s best interests in mind.

And when I say non feeders in this context, I don’t just mean public school kids. I also mean kids from other Catholic Grade Schools like James, Dry Ridge, all of those Bacon Feeders in the Springfield Township, St Bernard area. It’s not about athletics in this case, it’s about keeping the school open. If Elder only took kids from Visi, Jude, Victory, Lourdes, Ant, Dominic, William, and Teresa, they’ll be under in less than 10 yrs. it’s not 1988 anymore, those schools aren’t big enough to prop up enrollment. Some people might not like that fact, but it’s reality.
Old 11-19-18, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
However, I would like to put foot square up the azz of some the people who don’t want kids from outside the Feeder network. They don’t have the school’s best interests in mind.
I 100% agree with this, especially the part about having the whole school's interest in mind. They have THEIR interest in mind. And I find that unacceptable.

They are scared to death that new (and sometimes better) kids coming in will ruin the gravy train they have benefitted from for so long. That part you may not agree with, but it's a threat to ALOT of people that are used to pulling the strings for the connected crowd. They will constantly talk about how these kids won't "fit", or they will be "trouble makers".

It's anti-diversity. Complete opposite direction of where a progressive high school (and public) should be heading.
Old 11-19-18, 12:02 PM
Freshman

Quote:
However, I would like to put my foot square up the azz of some the people who donít want kids from outside the Feeder network. They donít have the schoolís best interests in mind.
Are there people in administration positions, or any position, at Elder who do not want boys from non traditional feeder schools?
Old 11-19-18, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Are there people in administration positions, or any position, at Elder who do not want boys from non traditional feeder schools?
There's zero chance they will admit this to be true, but actions say something different. I've definitely heard alumni say it...alot.

If they do have the intent to want non-traditional feeder students (meaning students that look different than what they're used to), then they do a very poor job at it.

Either way, it's a problem.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 11-19-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 12:09 PM
All World

Quote:
No, but thereís certainly a small portion of Alumni that feel that way. And I say screw Ďem, they donít have the best interests of the school at heart with that attitude.

And again, in this specific instance, athletics has nothing to do with it. If you have to get the 30-40 band geeks to fill out the numbers, so be it.
Old 11-19-18, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
No, but there’s certainly a small portion of Alumni that feel that way. And I say screw ‘em, they don’t have the best interests of the school at heart with that attitude.

And again, in this specific instance, athletics has nothing to do with it. If you have to get the 30-40 band geeks to fill out the numbers, so be it.
"Band geeks" - perfect example of the attitude of most at Elder that sports are king and that everything else is looked down upon.

There are kids that SPECIFICALLY target St X for their musical and drama programs.

I will keep saying it - you simply don't get it. How on earth you can seriously make that statement and expect enrollment to grow. It's mind boggling.

Diversity isn't just black and white.
Old 11-19-18, 01:50 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Band geeks" - perfect example of the attitude of most at Elder that sports are king and that everything else is looked down upon.

There are kids that SPECIFICALLY target St X for their musical and drama programs.

I will keep saying it - you simply don't get it. How on earth you can seriously make that statement and expect enrollment to grow. It's mind boggling.

Diversity isn't just black and white.
No kids want to be members of the Elder Glee Club anymore? Diversity is definitely more than Black and White.
Old 11-19-18, 01:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
No kids want to be members of the Elder Glee Club anymore? Diversity is definitely more than Black and White.
Heís taking my point out of context. All I was saying is it doesnít matter if theyíre totally non athletic nerds (like me), you need the #s. I felt it was important to make that distinction bc so much our discussion on here regarding non feeders is centered around athletics and I wanted to make it clear when it came to padding enrollment, that wasnít in my thought process.
Old 11-20-18, 03:21 PM
All District

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:

400 new west-side girls had to choose another high school. Even if Seton did absolutely nothing, their enrollment numbers would increase

The facts are that Seton changed approach about 5 years ago. That year, Mercy had 130 freshman and Seton 95 (down from 120ish). Seton changed and in the next couple of years outperformed Mercy in numbers of incoming freshman, ultimately resulting in a flip of the numbers 2 years ago (one year before Mercy announced the closure). This led to the decision year by Mercy where the difference got bigger in Seton's favor.

This may be a chicken or egg thing, but Seton changing approach made them stronger BEFORE Mercy decided to close, aiding in Mercy's decision to close.

Btw, Seton had a class number of 150 this year, clearly outperforming the freshman enrollment at the new, merged Mercy McAuley. (how big they choose to get depends on physical plant capacity and other economic factors - building additions are very expensive and make the marginal cost of extra students that require that very high...higher than their tuition).

I want all catholic schools to survive and prosper, but we need to recognize real cause and effect here, not just chalk it up to Mercy closing.
Old 11-20-18, 04:00 PM
All Ohio

Exactly.

Don't minimize the work Seton has done to proactively drive this change. It's an insult to their hard work. And that's what it takes. A pro-active strategy from your Leadership followed by execution and buy-in from your school.

Elder needs a vision for the future from their Leadership team, and a drive to get people behind it. They have neither at the moment.
Closed Thread