Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-19-19, 01:14 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Wayne DI Regional

Here are the four district champions going into the Wayne Regional.

Centerville, Mason, La Salle, Wayne

Will the regional champion come from these four? Absolutely. Wayne is the hands down favorite.

Will the regional runner-up come from these four? I say "yes".

Here are my picks for the podium and my projected point totals.

1, Wayne - a clear cut favorite - should score in the 80s. Strength is in the sprints and sprint relays
2. Centerville or Mason - a close battle for second, point total around 50. Right now I'm leaning toward Centerville. Centerville's strength is in the jumps. Mason's strength is in the relays which makes them my sentimental favorite since the relays are the team events in track. St. Xavier is the dark horse here for second even without their best sprinter Henry Young III. St. Xavier's strength is in the distance events.

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-20-19 at 12:02 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 05:30 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Centerville's key is Yariel Soto, defending national champion in the decathlon. If he falters (hopefully not and not expected to), then others will pick up the pieces.
Old 05-20-19, 08:41 AM
Freshman

VFL is on a distinguished road
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
Old 05-20-19, 09:32 AM
Freshman

Shoemaker_Levy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL View Post
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
I had some experience with this as an athlete and coach in VA, and as that was a system there. The 6th place mark, the final qualifying spot, was averaged from the prior 3 years, and athletes could qualify into ANY of the post-season meets by bettering that in an invitational. I liked it, since my running and coaching career in VA was in one of the deepest districts and regions.
Old 05-20-19, 10:03 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
OHSAA wants equal representation....not the best meet. They could easily go on qualifying standards for state and have a last chance meet at the end of the year.
Old 05-20-19, 10:09 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
OHSAA wants equal representation....not the best meet. They could easily go on qualifying standards for state and have a last chance meet at the end of the year.
I personally like the the qualifying system. Helps move the best in each event along.
Old 05-20-19, 11:21 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Realignment was done in the late 90s. In 1997 Princeton, St. Xavier, and Middletown all competed in the district meet held that year at Hamilton. Ken Meibers, then the coach at Princeton, complained about how "brutal" the Fairfield district was. It was called the Fairfield district but there was construction going on at Fairfield that year so the meet was at Hamilton. In 1998, St. Xavier and Winton Woods were both at the other district at Anderson (Mason district precursor). In 1999 Winton Woods was back at Fairfield along with Elder while Princeton was assigned to the east side district. Middletown was also taken out of the Fairfield district and went to the Dayton district. By 2000, the Fairfield (today Ross) district no longer had Middletown, St. Xavier, or Princeton (three traditional powerhous teams).
Old 05-20-19, 11:26 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Realignment was done in the late 90s. In 1997 Princeton, St. Xavier, and Middletown all competed in the district meet held that year at Hamilton. Ken Meibers, then the coach at Princeton complained about how "brutal" the Fairfield district was. It was called the Fairfield district but there was construction going on at Fairfield that year so the meet was at Hamilton. In 1998, St. Xavier and Winton Woods were both at the other district at Anderson (Mason district precursor). In 1999 Winton Woods was back at Fairfield along with Elder while Princeton was assigned to the east side district. Middletown was also taken out of the Fairfield district and went to the Dayton district. By 2000, the Fairfield (today Ross) district no longer had Middletown, St. Xavier, or Princeton (three traditional powerhous teams).
I was coaching at Walnut Hills then, and there were absolutely events which were brutal for one district or the other. But these things vary from year to year. Several of us proposed seeding and picking between the two Cincinnati district meets and between the two Dayton district meets, but it never went anywhere. Even seeding isn't perfect. We seed in the central district, but there are still districts that are a lot tougher for one event or another. There isn't a perfect way to pick, because making it easier for your kids in some events often ends up making it tougher in others.
Old 05-20-19, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Here are the four district champions going into the Wayne Regional.

Centerville, Mason, La Salle, Wayne

Will the regional champion come from these four? Absolutely. Wayne is the hands down favorite.

Will the regional runner-up come from these four? I say "yes".

Here are my picks for the podium and my projected point totals.

1, Wayne - a clear cut favorite - should score in the 80s. Strength is in the sprints and sprint relays
2. Centerville or Mason - a close battle for second, point total around 50. Right now I'm leaning toward Centerville. Centerville's strength is in the jumps. Mason's strength is in the relays which makes them my sentimental favorite since the relays are the team events in track. St. Xavier is the dark horse here even without their best sprinter Henry Young III. St. Xavier's strength is in the distance events.
If Wayne stays healthy what does their state chances look like?
Old 05-20-19, 11:52 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Don't we now have two at large qualifiers from the four regionals to state becuase there are nine lanes at state and we can have 18 in each running event, four from each regional (16) and then two on time from any of the four regional meet?
Old 05-20-19, 11:54 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If Wayne stays healthy what does their state chances look like?
Wayne should easily win by around 30 points in the boys over either Centerville, Mason or St. Xavier who will fight it out for the runner-up spot at the regional. I haven't looked at state as I take it a week at a time. I saw a person tweak their hamstring at district and really hurt their team's chances for a girls state title.
Old 05-20-19, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wayne should easily win by around 30 points in the boys over either Centerville, Mason or St. Xavier who will fight it out for the runner-up spot at the regional. I haven't looked at state as I take it a week at a time. I saw a person tweak their hamstring at district and really hurt their team's chances for a girls state title.
Thanks

Injuries hurt Wayne's chances last year at state hopefully they can stay healthy and give it a run.
Old 05-20-19, 12:49 PM
All District

CinOhio10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For the past 4-5 years, you are correct. The Mason district, for the most part, had better qualifiers than the Ross district. However, and interestingly, 2019 had the boys Ross district with better times/heights/distances among 1st place finishers in 9 of the 17 events. Taking it out to the 4 regional qualifiers in each event, the boys Mason district's dominance in the distance races had them with better times/heights/distances among 37 qualifiers to the Ross district's 31 qualifiers. Ross led the field events and the sprints and hurdles over the Mason district.

Last edited by CinOhio10; 05-20-19 at 04:44 PM..
Old 05-20-19, 07:52 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
Swim uses many at large bids.
Ohsaa governs swim.

It's not tough to do. 2 qualify at each site. The rest are all at large. It works quite well.
Coaches know a few hours after the meet.
Old 05-20-19, 08:01 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCFan98 View Post
Swim uses many at large bids.
Ohsaa governs swim.

It's not tough to do. 2 qualify at each site. The rest are all at large. It works quite well.

It works well for swimming because they don't have to deal with the weather, particularly wind
Old 05-20-19, 08:05 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
It works well for swimming because they don't have to deal with the weather, particularly wind
That is true. I am a big believer in the NCAA method with qualifying standards that you can hit during the season.
Old 05-23-19, 08:31 AM
All World

Wayne D1 Region IV

Anyone catch the girls' 4x8 results from last night's rain-soaked Region IV meet? Holy smokes. Was it raining at the time of the 4x8s? I know it was at 6:00pm.

https://www.baumspage.com/rtrack/201...%20Results.pdf

Girls
1) Beavercreek 9:00.46 MR (destroys old MR by almost 10 1/2 sec.)
2) Mason 9:05.60
3) Turpin 9:11.22
4) Kings 9:17.24

Ouch! 2:19 a leg and you only get 4th!
Old 05-23-19, 09:03 AM
All American

Seek Up
I was told it was raining during the boy's race. I assume the same for the girls.
Old 05-23-19, 09:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek Up View Post
I was told it was raining during the boy's race. I assume the same for the girls.
Got it. Thanks. I was driving near that area last night, and it was absolutely rainy & dreary.
Old 05-23-19, 10:24 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Second thread for the Wayne regional. (just sayin)
Old 05-23-19, 11:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Second thread for the Wayne regional. (just sayin)
Sorry about that...missed it from earlier in the week.
Old 05-23-19, 11:16 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Wayne boys 4 x 400 relay was DQed last night. They had won the Piqua district with a 3:21.24, not sure how much that hurts their chances at state next week since there were already seven teams with faster times.
Old 05-23-19, 04:14 PM
All District

tmikusa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wayne boys 4 x 400 relay was DQed last night. They had won the Piqua district with a 3:21.24, not sure how much that hurts their chances at state next week since there were already seven teams with faster times.
4 x 400 disqualified and I think Wayne's 110 meter hurdler was disqualified too. can someone verify? if true, then Wayne has no chance on winning the state title.
Old 05-23-19, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

why are they doing this on Wednesday/Friday instead of Thursday/Saturday?
Old 05-23-19, 04:36 PM
All World

Quote:
You must remember the old days when it was D1/D3 on Thursday/Friday, and D2 on Wednesday/Friday! They changed over years ago.
Old 05-23-19, 08:39 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because of the printer's deadline. They want to have two divisions completed on Friday, leaving one for Saturday, so they have that much extra time to get the state meet program and other materials ready for the printer so they can be delivered on Thursday.

In order to keep a school whose boys and girls are split divisions from competing on the same day at different sites, Divisions 1 and 3 are on Friday and Division 2 is on Saturday.
Old 05-24-19, 03:13 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikusa View Post
4 x 400 disqualified and I think Wayne's 110 meter hurdler was disqualified too. can someone verify? if true, then Wayne has no chance on winning the state title.
The results say Justin Harris never showed up for heat 2 of the 110h. I see nothing about his being disqualified
Old 05-24-19, 06:18 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Sam Bush 4:47.23

Sam Bush easily took down Annie Heffernan's city record when she won state in 2015 with a 4:48.39 by winning the Wayne regional 1600m in 4:47.23. Wow!
Old 05-24-19, 06:32 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Nice 100 from Serena Clark, tying her city record and wind-legal PR of 11.72, breaking her own Regional record of 11.79 from last year.
Old 05-24-19, 06:45 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
Nice 100 from Serena Clark, tying her city record and wind-legal PR of 11.72, breaking her own Regional record of 11.79 from last year.
Nice recovery from her hamstring injury at Ross for Kaylyn Heath as she joint her teammate under 12.00 in the 100m for second place. East is blowing out the girls meet with 73 points after 13 events. Wayne is creeping up on Centerville now in second only four points behind.