Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-19, 01:14 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Wayne DI Regional

Here are the four district champions going into the Wayne Regional.

Centerville, Mason, La Salle, Wayne

Will the regional champion come from these four? Absolutely. Wayne is the hands down favorite.

Will the regional runner-up come from these four? I say "yes".

Here are my picks for the podium and my projected point totals.

1, Wayne - a clear cut favorite - should score in the 80s. Strength is in the sprints and sprint relays
2. Centerville or Mason - a close battle for second, point total around 50. Right now I'm leaning toward Centerville. Centerville's strength is in the jumps. Mason's strength is in the relays which makes them my sentimental favorite since the relays are the team events in track. St. Xavier is the dark horse here for second even without their best sprinter Henry Young III. St. Xavier's strength is in the distance events.

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-20-19 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-19-19, 05:30 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,837
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Centerville's key is Yariel Soto, defending national champion in the decathlon. If he falters (hopefully not and not expected to), then others will pick up the pieces.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-19, 08:41 AM
VFL VFL is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-01-18
Posts: 1
VFL is on a distinguished road
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-19, 09:32 AM
Shoemaker_Levy Shoemaker_Levy is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-15-15
Posts: 14
Shoemaker_Levy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL View Post
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
I had some experience with this as an athlete and coach in VA, and as that was a system there. The 6th place mark, the final qualifying spot, was averaged from the prior 3 years, and athletes could qualify into ANY of the post-season meets by bettering that in an invitational. I liked it, since my running and coaching career in VA was in one of the deepest districts and regions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-19, 10:03 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 3,053
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
OHSAA wants equal representation....not the best meet. They could easily go on qualifying standards for state and have a last chance meet at the end of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-19, 10:09 AM
skins99's Avatar
skins99 skins99 is offline
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Location: "Work is the scourge of t
Posts: 27,732
skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
OHSAA wants equal representation....not the best meet. They could easily go on qualifying standards for state and have a last chance meet at the end of the year.
I personally like the the qualifying system. Helps move the best in each event along.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-19, 11:21 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL View Post
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
Realignment was done in the late 90s. In 1997 Princeton, St. Xavier, and Middletown all competed in the district meet held that year at Hamilton. Ken Meibers, then the coach at Princeton, complained about how "brutal" the Fairfield district was. It was called the Fairfield district but there was construction going on at Fairfield that year so the meet was at Hamilton. In 1998, St. Xavier and Winton Woods were both at the other district at Anderson (Mason district precursor). In 1999 Winton Woods was back at Fairfield along with Elder while Princeton was assigned to the east side district. Middletown was also taken out of the Fairfield district and went to the Dayton district. By 2000, the Fairfield (today Ross) district no longer had Middletown, St. Xavier, or Princeton (three traditional powerhous teams).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-19, 11:26 AM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,646
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Realignment was done in the late 90s. In 1997 Princeton, St. Xavier, and Middletown all competed in the district meet held that year at Hamilton. Ken Meibers, then the coach at Princeton complained about how "brutal" the Fairfield district was. It was called the Fairfield district but there was construction going on at Fairfield that year so the meet was at Hamilton. In 1998, St. Xavier and Winton Woods were both at the other district at Anderson (Mason district precursor). In 1999 Winton Woods was back at Fairfield along with Elder while Princeton was assigned to the east side district. Middletown was also taken out of the Fairfield district and went to the Dayton district. By 2000, the Fairfield (today Ross) district no longer had Middletown, St. Xavier, or Princeton (three traditional powerhous teams).
I was coaching at Walnut Hills then, and there were absolutely events which were brutal for one district or the other. But these things vary from year to year. Several of us proposed seeding and picking between the two Cincinnati district meets and between the two Dayton district meets, but it never went anywhere. Even seeding isn't perfect. We seed in the central district, but there are still districts that are a lot tougher for one event or another. There isn't a perfect way to pick, because making it easier for your kids in some events often ends up making it tougher in others.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-19, 11:52 AM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,082
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Here are the four district champions going into the Wayne Regional.

Centerville, Mason, La Salle, Wayne

Will the regional champion come from these four? Absolutely. Wayne is the hands down favorite.

Will the regional runner-up come from these four? I say "yes".

Here are my picks for the podium and my projected point totals.

1, Wayne - a clear cut favorite - should score in the 80s. Strength is in the sprints and sprint relays
2. Centerville or Mason - a close battle for second, point total around 50. Right now I'm leaning toward Centerville. Centerville's strength is in the jumps. Mason's strength is in the relays which makes them my sentimental favorite since the relays are the team events in track. St. Xavier is the dark horse here even without their best sprinter Henry Young III. St. Xavier's strength is in the distance events.
If Wayne stays healthy what does their state chances look like?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-19, 11:52 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
OHSAA wants equal representation....not the best meet. They could easily go on qualifying standards for state and have a last chance meet at the end of the year.
Don't we now have two at large qualifiers from the four regionals to state becuase there are nine lanes at state and we can have 18 in each running event, four from each regional (16) and then two on time from any of the four regional meet?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-20-19, 11:54 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If Wayne stays healthy what does their state chances look like?
Wayne should easily win by around 30 points in the boys over either Centerville, Mason or St. Xavier who will fight it out for the runner-up spot at the regional. I haven't looked at state as I take it a week at a time. I saw a person tweak their hamstring at district and really hurt their team's chances for a girls state title.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-20-19, 12:03 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,082
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Wayne should easily win by around 30 points in the boys over either Centerville, Mason or St. Xavier who will fight it out for the runner-up spot at the regional. I haven't looked at state as I take it a week at a time. I saw a person tweak their hamstring at district and really hurt their team's chances for a girls state title.
Thanks

Injuries hurt Wayne's chances last year at state hopefully they can stay healthy and give it a run.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-19, 12:49 PM
CinOhio10 CinOhio10 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-28-10
Posts: 179
CinOhio10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL View Post
How can the Districts be realigned to be competitively balanced and fair for all the athletes? I realize that there is an ebb and flow each year and/or for a few years but the Mason District is to deep compared to other Districts and athletes with much better marks are being left out for athletes who have no business at a regional.
Realignment, a Regional qualifying mark based on the past 4 years of the Regional 4th place, etc.
For the past 4-5 years, you are correct. The Mason district, for the most part, had better qualifiers than the Ross district. However, and interestingly, 2019 had the boys Ross district with better times/heights/distances among 1st place finishers in 9 of the 17 events. Taking it out to the 4 regional qualifiers in each event, the boys Mason district's dominance in the distance races had them with better times/heights/distances among 37 qualifiers to the Ross district's 31 qualifiers. Ross led the field events and the sprints and hurdles over the Mason district.

Last edited by CinOhio10; 05-20-19 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-20-19, 07:52 PM
XCFan98 XCFan98 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-11
Posts: 125
XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
Swim uses many at large bids.
Ohsaa governs swim.

It's not tough to do. 2 qualify at each site. The rest are all at large. It works quite well.
Coaches know a few hours after the meet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-19, 08:01 PM
lane4 lane4 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Posts: 1,309
lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCFan98 View Post
Swim uses many at large bids.
Ohsaa governs swim.

It's not tough to do. 2 qualify at each site. The rest are all at large. It works quite well.

It works well for swimming because they don't have to deal with the weather, particularly wind
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-20-19, 08:05 PM
skins99's Avatar
skins99 skins99 is offline
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Location: "Work is the scourge of t
Posts: 27,732
skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
It works well for swimming because they don't have to deal with the weather, particularly wind
That is true. I am a big believer in the NCAA method with qualifying standards that you can hit during the season.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-19, 08:31 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,837
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Wayne D1 Region IV

Anyone catch the girls' 4x8 results from last night's rain-soaked Region IV meet? Holy smokes. Was it raining at the time of the 4x8s? I know it was at 6:00pm.

https://www.baumspage.com/rtrack/201...%20Results.pdf

Girls
1) Beavercreek 9:00.46 MR (destroys old MR by almost 10 1/2 sec.)
2) Mason 9:05.60
3) Turpin 9:11.22
4) Kings 9:17.24

Ouch! 2:19 a leg and you only get 4th!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-19, 09:03 AM
Seek Up Seek Up is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-09-04
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 1,785
Seek Up
I was told it was raining during the boy's race. I assume the same for the girls.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-19, 09:07 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,837
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek Up View Post
I was told it was raining during the boy's race. I assume the same for the girls.
Got it. Thanks. I was driving near that area last night, and it was absolutely rainy & dreary.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-23-19, 10:24 AM
yj_runfan yj_runfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 1,780
yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Second thread for the Wayne regional. (just sayin)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-23-19, 11:08 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,837
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Second thread for the Wayne regional. (just sayin)
Sorry about that...missed it from earlier in the week.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-23-19, 11:16 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Wayne boys 4 x 400 relay was DQed last night. They had won the Piqua district with a 3:21.24, not sure how much that hurts their chances at state next week since there were already seven teams with faster times.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-23-19, 04:14 PM
tmikusa tmikusa is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-11-10
Posts: 122
tmikusa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Wayne boys 4 x 400 relay was DQed last night. They had won the Piqua district with a 3:21.24, not sure how much that hurts their chances at state next week since there were already seven teams with faster times.
4 x 400 disqualified and I think Wayne's 110 meter hurdler was disqualified too. can someone verify? if true, then Wayne has no chance on winning the state title.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-19, 04:30 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,082
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
why are they doing this on Wednesday/Friday instead of Thursday/Saturday?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-23-19, 04:36 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,837
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
why are they doing this on Wednesday/Friday instead of Thursday/Saturday?
You must remember the old days when it was D1/D3 on Thursday/Friday, and D2 on Wednesday/Friday! They changed over years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-23-19, 08:39 PM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,386
Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
why are they doing this on Wednesday/Friday instead of Thursday/Saturday?
Because of the printer's deadline. They want to have two divisions completed on Friday, leaving one for Saturday, so they have that much extra time to get the state meet program and other materials ready for the printer so they can be delivered on Thursday.

In order to keep a school whose boys and girls are split divisions from competing on the same day at different sites, Divisions 1 and 3 are on Friday and Division 2 is on Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-24-19, 03:13 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikusa View Post
4 x 400 disqualified and I think Wayne's 110 meter hurdler was disqualified too. can someone verify? if true, then Wayne has no chance on winning the state title.
The results say Justin Harris never showed up for heat 2 of the 110h. I see nothing about his being disqualified
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-24-19, 06:18 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Sam Bush 4:47.23

Sam Bush easily took down Annie Heffernan's city record when she won state in 2015 with a 4:48.39 by winning the Wayne regional 1600m in 4:47.23. Wow!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-24-19, 06:32 PM
lane4 lane4 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Posts: 1,309
lane4 is on a distinguished road
Nice 100 from Serena Clark, tying her city record and wind-legal PR of 11.72, breaking her own Regional record of 11.79 from last year.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-24-19, 06:45 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 9,306
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
Nice 100 from Serena Clark, tying her city record and wind-legal PR of 11.72, breaking her own Regional record of 11.79 from last year.
Nice recovery from her hamstring injury at Ross for Kaylyn Heath as she joint her teammate under 12.00 in the 100m for second place. East is blowing out the girls meet with 73 points after 13 events. Wayne is creeping up on Centerville now in second only four points behind.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huber Heights Wayne 41 Trotwood 35 OT vamp2syd Football 3 10-26-18 10:16 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 49 Fairmont 44 vamp2syd Football 13 10-14-18 08:05 AM
Huber Heights Wayne 35 Fairmont 28 vamp2syd Football 15 10-15-17 08:10 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 34 Clarkson North 21 vamp2syd Football 3 09-09-17 08:03 AM
2017 OHSAA Baseball Regional Pairings Yappi Baseball 7 05-23-17 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz