Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-19, 06:50 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
14 Foot Hoover Pole Vaulter Transfers to Perry. Eligible Right Away.

https://www.facebook.com/58264733452...7241629898453/
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 04:56 PM
Freshman

65Card is on a distinguished road
WOW! He should be able to just step over the bar.
Old 03-22-19, 06:34 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Card View Post
WOW! He should be able to just step over the bar.
But they can't find a uniform that fits him.
Old 03-23-19, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Haha. Good points. Guess I should have changed the title.

It's a shame he left. Yet another athlete to leave North Canton. According to some of the Hoover track parents just a young track coach in over his head. Good Luck All!!!
Old 03-23-19, 04:59 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
Haha. Good points. Guess I should have changed the title.

It's a shame he left. Yet another athlete to leave North Canton. According to some of the Hoover track parents just a young track coach in over his head. Good Luck All!!!
Have there been a lot of other athletes leave Hoover?

Based on the article, Iím confused as to how this situation lends credence to the idea that the coach is in over his head.
Old 03-23-19, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
SOTT, I think Hoover had a couple of girls basketball players and a football player leave.

It's my understanding that the track coach was the one who kept escalating the issue. But as always there are two sides to every story. Sounds like Hoover should have both good Boys and girls track teams this year.

Good Luck All
Old 03-23-19, 07:43 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Please explain how someone can possibly be "in over their head" being a head coach of a high school track team? This is not running a fortune 500 company. It's kids and high school track! I think it's a very sad day when coaching high school track is a position where there is so much pressure or it's so complicated that it's over someone's head. Perhaps someone is not knowledgeable enough to coach effectively, but it shouldn't be something where parents can't be helpful instead of a problem. Need to have some perspective. Doctor's might be in over their heads. High school coaches should not.
Old 03-23-19, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
SOTT, I think Hoover had a couple of girls basketball players and a football player leave.

It's my understanding that the track coach was the one who kept escalating the issue. But as always there are two sides to every story. Sounds like Hoover should have both good Boys and girls track teams this year.

Good Luck All
I'd say pursuing legal action is a major escalation. Hoover's track coach didn't do that, but the athlete's dad did. Once that happened, the bridge between the athlete and Hoover was burned. IIRC, the athlete himself even said last spring that he was OK with not being able to pole vault for one meet and that everything seemed fine until his dad got involved.

I didn't read the article, but let's remember that the athlete is eligible immediately under the new transfer rules. However, it sounds like the athlete was granted release from NC's Super, so he doesn't have to miss the 2nd half of the season plus the tournament.

The athlete competed on Saturday and cleared 12' 9" in so-so conditions.

Hoover girls could be competitive this year, but I'm not sold on the boys' prospects outside of the distance squad.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-24-19 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-24-19, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

The thread from last spring, including the link to the original newspaper article.

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312748
Old 03-27-19, 08:12 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Psycho-Dad good point. We will have to see how the track team does this year. You're statement about not being knowledgeable enough might be a better way of saying it.
Although I'd much rather have a high school coach "over their head" then my doctor. Lol
Probably just a lot over reaction. Track team finishes in the Top 3 and that might silence a lot of people.

Good Luck All.
Old 05-29-19, 08:45 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Psycho-Dad. Another disappointing track season for Hoover Boys. No boys made it to State and as a team finished next to last in the League. I hope things improve.
Old 05-29-19, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Psycho-Dad. Another disappointing track season for Hoover Boys. No boys made it to State and as a team finished next to last in the League. I hope things improve.
Not a lot of talent on the boys team at Hoover this year, but I think that was to be expected. It looks you had 3 good individuals of which 2 are back next year. That's not enough. Depth carries the day in a league like the Fed. Lutton's a big loss, but the distance squad has numbers and some young talent to work with. The boys should be better next year. Good enough to compete with Jackson or GlenOak? Probably not.

The girls lacked depth but had some above average individuals which made them a good invitational team but not a great dual meet team.

The pole vaulter didn't exactly set the world on fire at Perry this year, but he has talent and could help them in some additional events moving forward. The Panther boys have a pretty good sophomore class with him, Laubacher, and Lapanja.

Honestly, none of the Fed teams had banner years. The league didn't have much top-level talent. No Fed team qualified in more than 3 events on the boys' side:
Jackson - PV and 4x8
GlenOak - 4x2 and 4x4
McKinley - 110H, 300H, and 4x4
Perry - Seated 100, Seated 400, and Seated 800
Lake - 1600 and LJ
Hoover - None
Green - None

Girls' side wasn't much different:
Perry - 4x1 and 4x2
Jackson - 3200 and 4x8
GlenOak - LJ, Discus, Seated 100, and Seated 400
Hoover - LJ and Shot Put
Green - 3200
Lake - 300H
McKinley - None (How far and how quickly have they fallen?)