Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-19, 10:33 PM
All American

SVillegrad is on a distinguished road
Notable injuries/DQs/withdraws

I always root for all the top performers to advance to see how low times can go (or how high distances can go) but unfortunately stuff happens along the road to the state tournaments that sees state placing/championship caliber athletes not advancing for injury/DQs and then have some athletes qualify and drop an event to focus on another.

I was hoping to get a list of some of the notable instances of this occurring.

1. I'll start off with Strongsville's Mohammed Abusway, who was the most consistent and fastest D1 110-hurdler all season (worst time was a 14.54 in the first race of the year and ran a 14.16 at the Greater Cleveland Conference meet). He had only ran two invitational 300-IM this season (due to competing in mostly relay invites). His first was a 40.13 in the first meet of the year in March and then a 39.68 at GlenOak in early April and finished second in a field that has two potential state qualifiers (Clayton Elder, Louisville and Muhammad Fall, Reynoldsburg). Anyway, he DNF the 300 at the GCC and then was scratched from competing at districts. That was a potential loss of 15 points at the state meet, costing Strongsville a chance at the title (still have the potential to get in the 30-40 range without him, though losing him in the 4X1 probably makes it a team that could've went below 42 to one that probably goes no lower than 42.25 on its best day now).

2. This one I was hoping to get clarification on because it was reversed. But initially I saw the Massillon Washington boys 4X2 team was DQ'd in the district prelims. That was mind boggling because the last qualifying times were like 1:38-plus ... that's like a jog in the park for that team. Unless it was an egregious foul, I'm glad they were reinstated and went on to win the North Canton District in 1:28.48 and ran a 1:28.36 in the Austintown prelims. They are looking at a top 5 finish and almost had it derailed in the district prelims.

3. Back to Strongsville, I see that Joseph Gillette dropped the long jump at the Amherst Regional. I get the rationale behind it because they added him to the 4x1 and the coach figured that even if he hits his season best of 22-7, it probably wouldn't be more than 7th or 8th at state. By adding him to the 4x1, it went from a team that may have made it to state but had virtually no chance at scoring. With him added, they have a shot at a top five finish. And I guess since they still have an outside shot at the team title (best case Gillette wins the 100 and 200; Mott goes top 3 in the 800; the 4x8 team goes top 3; and the 4x4 team wins) it makes sense, but I'm guessing the plan all along was to run him on the 4x1 at regionals to begin with, so they should've just had him run it at districts just to give another athlete an opportunity to compete at regionals. That's just a small, personal gripe.

4. Huber Heights Wayne I see was DQ'd in the 4x4 prelims at regionals. That probably takes away any chance they had at the team title as they probably had an outside shot of going low enough to possibly win and I'm guessing would have been top 5 at worse.

I mainly follow D1 and boys, so feel free to add onto different divisions and girls.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-19, 11:12 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
I always root for all the top performers to advance to see how low times can go (or how high distances can go) but unfortunately stuff happens along the road to the state tournaments that sees state placing/championship caliber athletes not advancing for injury/DQs and then have some athletes qualify and drop an event to focus on another.

I was hoping to get a list of some of the notable instances of this occurring.

1. I'll start off with Strongsville's Mohammed Abusway, who was the most consistent and fastest D1 110-hurdler all season (worst time was a 14.54 in the first race of the year and ran a 14.16 at the Greater Cleveland Conference meet). He had only ran two invitational 300-IM this season (due to competing in mostly relay invites). His first was a 40.13 in the first meet of the year in March and then a 39.68 at GlenOak in early April and finished second in a field that has two potential state qualifiers (Clayton Elder, Louisville and Muhammad Fall, Reynoldsburg). Anyway, he DNF the 300 at the GCC and then was scratched from competing at districts. That was a potential loss of 15 points at the state meet, costing Strongsville a chance at the title (still have the potential to get in the 30-40 range without him, though losing him in the 4X1 probably makes it a team that could've went below 42 to one that probably goes no lower than 42.25 on its best day now).

2. This one I was hoping to get clarification on because it was reversed. But initially I saw the Massillon Washington boys 4X2 team was DQ'd in the district prelims. That was mind boggling because the last qualifying times were like 1:38-plus ... that's like a jog in the park for that team. Unless it was an egregious foul, I'm glad they were reinstated and went on to win the North Canton District in 1:28.48 and ran a 1:28.36 in the Austintown prelims. They are looking at a top 5 finish and almost had it derailed in the district prelims.

3. Back to Strongsville, I see that Joseph Gillette dropped the long jump at the Amherst Regional. I get the rationale behind it because they added him to the 4x1 and the coach figured that even if he hits his season best of 22-7, it probably wouldn't be more than 7th or 8th at state. By adding him to the 4x1, it went from a team that may have made it to state but had virtually no chance at scoring. With him added, they have a shot at a top five finish. And I guess since they still have an outside shot at the team title (best case Gillette wins the 100 and 200; Mott goes top 3 in the 800; the 4x8 team goes top 3; and the 4x4 team wins) it makes sense, but I'm guessing the plan all along was to run him on the 4x1 at regionals to begin with, so they should've just had him run it at districts just to give another athlete an opportunity to compete at regionals. That's just a small, personal gripe.

4. Huber Heights Wayne I see was DQ'd in the 4x4 prelims at regionals. That probably takes away any chance they had at the team title as they probably had an outside shot of going low enough to possibly win and I'm guessing would have been top 5 at worse.

I mainly follow D1 and boys, so feel free to add onto different divisions and girls.
This has been discussed in amongst the mud-slinging on the Stark County thread in the football forum. The abbreviated version is this:
Massillon boys ran 4x2 prelim w/ 1 relay member still wearing his long-sleeved warmup shirt over his uniform. Everyone wondered if they were DQed or not, and event results were not posted until the girls 400. Massillon was listed as making the final. Massillon Perry's coach filed a protest, and a few other coaches from Perry's league signed on (In general, the schools in that league do not get along well with Massillon). After the protest was filed, Massillon was DQed. Their coach went ballistic, and it got ugly between him and the individual coaches who jointly filed the protest. As of last Wed. night, Massillon's 4x2 was DQed. The DQ was overturned the next day due to the fact that they allegedly did not receive a warning. They were reinstated, and a 2-heat final was contested with Massillon and the next 4 fastest qualifiers in the fast heat and the 4 slowest qualifiers in the slow heat. Incidentally, Massillon's 4x2 nearly botched an exchange in the district final but got through it with a victory and then ran another strong qualifying time in regional prelims.

As for warnings, aren't all coaches warned during the coaches' meeting, and the athletes warned every time they check in for an event? In XC, your "warning" occurs before the race when you are clerked in at the starting line. With the undergarment rule changes taking effect, the uniform has been a constant point of emphasis this spring. For that reason, I don't take issue with the coaches who filed the protest even though most uniform violations don't create much in the way of a competitive advantage. The head official has said "make sure the uniform is the outermost layer of clothing" or something similar at every coaches' meeting I've attended before meets this spring. Had the infraction occurred at the Austintown District, Massillon's 4x2 would be history. Maybe all cats really do have 9 lives?
Old 05-23-19, 11:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
This has been discussed in amongst the mud-slinging on the Stark County thread in the football forum. The abbreviated version is this:
Massillon boys ran 4x2 prelim w/ 1 relay member still wearing his long-sleeved warmup shirt over his uniform. Everyone wondered if they were DQed or not, and event results were not posted until the girls 400. Massillon was listed as making the final. Massillon Perry's coach filed a protest, and a few other coaches from Perry's league signed on (In general, the schools in that league do not get along well with Massillon). After the protest was filed, Massillon was DQed. Their coach went ballistic, and it got ugly between him and the individual coaches who jointly filed the protest. As of last Wed. night, Massillon's 4x2 was DQed. The DQ was overturned the next day due to the fact that they allegedly did not receive a warning. They were reinstated, and a 2-heat final was contested with Massillon and the next 4 fastest qualifiers in the fast heat and the 4 slowest qualifiers in the slow heat. Incidentally, Massillon's 4x2 nearly botched an exchange in the district final but got through it with a victory and then ran another strong qualifying time in regional prelims.

As for warnings, aren't all coaches warned during the coaches' meeting, and the athletes warned every time they check in for an event? In XC, your "warning" occurs before the race when you are clerked in at the starting line. With the undergarment rule changes taking effect, the uniform has been a constant point of emphasis this spring. For that reason, I don't take issue with the coaches who filed the protest even though most uniform violations don't create much in the way of a competitive advantage. The head official has said "make sure the uniform is the outermost layer of clothing" or something similar at every coaches' meeting I've attended before meets this spring. Had the infraction occurred at the Austintown District, Massillon's 4x2 would be history. Maybe all cats really do have 9 lives?
Thanks. I have not been on the football forum so I missed that. Lol, I actually didn't even realize they had been reinstated until I saw the time yesterday. I originally saw the DQ after the district prelims and thought "wow, how did they mess that one up." And didn't pay attention that they ended up winning.

I know there is no love lost for Massillon down in Stark County but I don't have a dog in that fight so I'm glad the decision was made to reinstate.why hurt the kids on the team just because other schools don't like Massillon due to an entirely different sport. Though, let me guess one of the kids on the team lives in the Perry district and that is why the coach made a protest.
Old 05-24-19, 12:59 AM
All American

I see Wayne also lost 110 hurdler Justin Harris to DQ yesterday. Arguably the top 2 110 guys in the state are out now. There's still good ones left in D1, but Abusway and Harris are both sub 14 runners at a state caliber meet.
Old 05-24-19, 06:39 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As for warnings, aren't all coaches warned during the coaches' meeting, and the athletes warned every time they check in for an event?
No. Coaches are asked to confirm that their athletes are properly equipped and in a legal uniform. The field event judge in track or the clerk in track or cross country should be addressing problems with uniforms before the event begins. The athlete should not be allowed to compete with an illegal uniform. These actions are NOT a warning.
Quote:
In XC, your "warning" occurs before the race when you are clerked in at the starting line.
Close. In cross country, the Ohio modification to the rule is for the referee to give the warning to all competitors when the starter calls everybody together for final instructions. The thought process is that each competitor is only in the one event each day, so what good does it do to give a warning after the event is over? You might as well not have any uniform rules for XC. So, we give the warning to everybody before the race begins.

In track and field, however, no such warning is given pre-competition. If an athlete does compete with an illegal uniform, the official should give them a warning the first time and tell them to correct the uniform for future competition. If it happens a second time, then the disqualification occurs.
Old 05-24-19, 06:58 AM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the penalty for a uniform infraction is quite clear in the rule book:

PENALTY: (Articles 1, 2) For the wearing of an illegal uniform, when a violation is observed and noted by a meet official, the competitor shall be required to make the uniform legal before becoming eligible for further competition, and shall be issued a warning that a subsequent violation shall result in a disqualification from the event. The referee shall be notified of the violation by the observing meet official, and the referee shall then notify or cause to be notified the head coach of the offending school of the competitor's violation and warning.

https://www.nfhs.org/media/1019695/2...iform-rule.pdf

Now, having worn a shirt over top their uniform does make for an interesting case discussion because had the clerk known of the "intent" for someone to keep their shirt on over their uniform they surely would have "warned" them. BUT the idea that the warning is issued as a blanket statement during a coaches meeting doesn't seem to me to jive with the way the rule and subsequent penalty is written, per above.

Last edited by SOTT; 05-24-19 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 05-24-19, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
Thanks. I have not been on the football forum so I missed that. Lol, I actually didn't even realize they had been reinstated until I saw the time yesterday. I originally saw the DQ after the district prelims and thought "wow, how did they mess that one up." And didn't pay attention that they ended up winning.

I know there is no love lost for Massillon down in Stark County but I don't have a dog in that fight so I'm glad the decision was made to reinstate.why hurt the kids on the team just because other schools don't like Massillon due to an entirely different sport. Though, let me guess one of the kids on the team lives in the Perry district and that is why the coach made a protest.
I believe there is a Perry transfer on Massillon's relay, but the real reason for the appeal was that the infraction was so obvious. Perry's HC is a basketball referee, so he is a stickler for following the rules as they are written.
Old 05-24-19, 09:12 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
so he is a stickler for following the rules as they are written.
Then his appeal should have cited the rule and how a warning was in order, not a disqualification.