Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-23-18, 06:20 PM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Change the coach...change the culture.

Everyone thinks DeMarco is such a ďniceĒ guy, but heís a micro manager, a control freak, and heís not a man of his word. Hindsight shows it goes back to his first season as head coach. Heíll put two kids against each other at practice with the winner getting the spot, and if his choice loses, he goes with the loser... kid walked off the team last year for this reason. Wonít let the offensive coordinator call plays....probably why heís leaving. Nobodyís gonna tell him how to train his team, not even the CERTIFIED trainer he turned down (yes thatís a true story). He thinks the reason the defense was so bad last year was because of injuryís and the kids just donít get it. Heís a quiet cancer to the program and itís falling apart slowly and the board and administration have dropped the ball on this 6 ways to Sunday.
Old 02-24-18, 12:57 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Lesson #1 in why former teachers may not make the best BOE members. Union loyalty sometimes may get in the way of making the right decision.
Old 02-24-18, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
well it is end of february - you can't get on here and bash a coach for not really wanting to start "anew" with weight program at end of february when they already have their own deal going since the beginning of December. This is an odd time for this type of help to be "offered" - coming from a football calendar perspective.

Really can't think of any football coach that would just hand the reigns over to their off season program. Has this town trainer been established for over 3 years? Does the trainer plan to advertise to kids to come get private workouts they can pay for? IF so that is not cool.

Just seems to be more to the story than what is being tossed out. Is the school paying for and retaining the services of the trainer? or is this a private donor acting upon their own and now framing it as the coach is pushing away help, if so that is greasy to do when I can tell you that coaches just can't bring anyone in to help with the program so neither should a booster. Mostly anyone working with youth at the school has to at least complete a bci check.

Sure I have heard and read complaints on here - never at any time was the offseason program in question. So is this just nit picking now? Guess what I am asking is this - IF you want change then say, but let's not play the game where there is an attack and scrutiny on every facet of the program - because there weren't any complaints like this before.
Old 02-25-18, 06:50 PM
All American

The guy isnít a trainer. Heís a weight room babysitter for all Louisville sports.

You wouldnít hire a team doctor that wasnít a doctor, why would you hire a trainer that wasnít really a trainer? I think the uproar is valid. Everyone wants to put their kids in the best hands of the most qualified...and the offer was rejected. Thereís more to real athletic training than squats, deadlifts, and bench press. This wasnít driven by boosters or an over stepping trainer to get his foot in the door...this was driven by concerned parents of players in the program.
Old 02-26-18, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

Lynus - The fellow in the weightroom is not a certified trainer.
and the fellow that was presented to the coaches is.
ok I am following you - people want a certified trainer to head the off season program, not against it, just didn't know louisville rolled like that.

I guess my questions are as follows, why is a trainer being pushed now, at this time of year, to use? If parents have questions on the training methods being used - then why isn't the new trainer being presented as a part of an overall comprehensive weight program for all athletes of all sports or providing workouts for each sport?

I do not think this is on coaches as much as it would be on the Super and or AD and having a plan that will train all athletes. Most programs in the county have their head coach of their respective sport as the leader of their off season program.

I am not saying what you are proposing is a bad thing, I just think it is not being handled properly - therefore can't blame HC.

If the AD/Super like this TRAINER then put a plan together for all students/sports and present it as what the district will do moving forward.
Old 02-26-18, 01:27 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
ok I am following you - people want a certified trainer to head the off season program, not against it, just didn't know louisville rolled like that.

I guess my questions are as follows, why is a trainer being pushed now, at this time of year, to use? If parents have questions on the training methods being used - then why isn't the new trainer being presented as a part of an overall comprehensive weight program for all athletes of all sports or providing workouts for each sport?

I do not think this is on coaches as much as it would be on the Super and or AD and having a plan that will train all athletes. Most programs in the county have their head coach of their respective sport as the leader of their off season program.

I am not saying what you are proposing is a bad thing, I just think it is not being handled properly - therefore can't blame HC.

If the AD/Super like this TRAINER then put a plan together for all students/sports and present it as what the district will do moving forward.
I agree with what you have posted Football 101. The Trainer issue should have been addressed before now. The current Trainer I am pretty sure had to clear a background check and I would think has some qualifications to handle some form of health or injury issue in the weight room. The idea of a new trainer is an excellent idea but I am thinking he has to go thru a lot of hoops to being hired.

The bigger issue I see is having to find a new league and how to approach it. All the other sports beside football can make a competitive schedule with the local schools....football is stuck between a rock and hard place. After looking at your schedule I am wondering why you just didn't try to join the Fed. Is playing Ursuline, Mooney, Massillon and Central right in a row any worse then Jackson, GlenOak, and McKinley?

Watching Lake play UP for years...the schedule is brutal in ways you may not realize. You played Fitch twice when they are playing middle of the road..have seen them when they were bad and when they were amazing. Your schedule has 10 schools that play hard every game like Fitch...Canfield, Hoover, Green, Lake, Perry..no breaks on intensity..no breaks on tough football...Lake had great years in the 90's..Hoover then Timken, Perry then Wooster..hard game then easy game...2003..Lake picks up Fitch, Boardman, McKinley..and then throw in Watterson and Mooney..and now Lake is .500 at best. Your schedule for next year is absolutely hard and the players are going to take a pounding.

Have to add this as an edit...in 1991 Lake had 519 boys in the top three grades and held that range down to around 480 the rest of the 90's...Lake now has 440..that loss of 79 boys does make a difference.

Last edited by Bluestreakoffice; 02-26-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 01:46 PM
All District

BACisBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Just curious who the certified trainer is? If it is Chris D again I can see why everyone wants to keep their distance.
Old 02-26-18, 01:57 PM
All Ohio

I don't like any parents at any school thinking they need to do their own thing that affects everyone on a team outside of a coach - that job is real and its called the head coach.

If mommy and daddy want to take johnny and have him trained by a personal athletic trainer then cool. Mommy and daddy or even a couple of daddys pitching in for a trainer and sending him up to the school and calling the super saying "we paid for him - we want him to be utilitized" is completely bogus as well.

Wanting a certified trainer and requesting it and providing funds then yes should be put forth through the BOE with a plan for athletes to work under then yes I am cool with that too.

Seems like the unrest will continue in lepland
Old 02-27-18, 10:55 AM
All American

This didnít just come about. Itís just now getting out.

This goes back to Christmas break and even before that. It goes back to the question that what are we doing different to prepare for the this season? Weíve done it in the past (no itís not the same guy)...whatís different about now?

This district has relied on private folks to get everything they have. They werenít shy about private funding for the ball fields, or the stadium. Nobody was considered to be over stepping on those occasions. When your offered a product or service to benefit whatever it is your doing at no cost....you take it and say thank you. This conspiracy theory mentality that our administration has is driving away all those people that they could once rely on.

This new administration has taken their eyes off the prize. Whatís best for the kids? Thatís the first thing they should be concerned with, followed by whatís best for the district. Not happening right now in Louisville.
Old 02-27-18, 12:05 PM
All Ohio

In fairness - I played devil's advocate. Lynus you are offering a strong argument.

I am compelled to consider all you say. Thank you for not getting mad at my questions and mistaking them for opposition.

Change is a strange thing, some people fear it, loathe it, fight against it. Others embrace it as the only constant. There seems to be some very passionate people in the town concerning sports, its a matter of identifying how to get them involved and contributing.
Old 02-27-18, 12:38 PM
All District

Who is this "certified trainer"? Name, place of business etc
Old 02-27-18, 12:44 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
Whoever he is, can he turn 2 or 3 kids into stud linebackers? We need linebackers!
Old 02-27-18, 06:47 PM
All American

dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post

This new administration has taken their eyes off the prize. Whatís best for the kids? Thatís the first thing they should be concerned with, followed by whatís best for the district. Not happening right now in Louisville.
BOEs and administrations who don't pay attention to the heartbeat of communities will eventually cut their own throat. The community supplies the schools with the only real asset the district has...the kids themselves. Any administration who thinks they are above an approach by the community is in trouble. I know they have to deal with individual situations of unhappy parents on a constant basis( a job I wouldn't want), but when the community as a whole has an issue they need to take notice. Louisville has some of the nicest facilities around....most of them paid for by generous donations from the towns people. Their youth programs are second to none. Louisville is a multi-generation town loaded with tradition and pride...something many towns have let slip through their fingers...and once its gone, and I'm afraid in today's day and age, it may be lost forever.

The only real way to put fear in the administration is thru the BOE, and the only way to get BOE to listen is thru large #s with a single voice. The key is that voice needs a mouth piece that can get the point across with the right amount of tact so the BOE understands what exactly is at stake.

Even though the Leps are no longer on our schedule, I wish them the best. This is a very,very critical time for them. Their future as a system is at risk.
Old 02-27-18, 07:38 PM
All American

Nailed it dig it. Lesson #2.
Old 02-28-18, 07:45 PM
All Region

basselope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACisBack View Post
Who is this "certified trainer"? Name, place of business etc
Jim Jupiter

Old 02-28-18, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basselope View Post
Jim Jupiter

I guess Izzy Mandelbaum wasn't available. However, one can't go wrong with the healthiest man in Chicago.
Old 03-03-18, 05:49 PM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Anyone know why the Little Leopards QB clinic was cancelled? My son went last two years and we found out yesterday that it has cancelled the clinic this year? Thought last two years went well from what I saw not sure why they aren't doing it this year.
Old 03-03-18, 06:53 PM
All American

Demarco probably doesn't have the Chutzpa to face the parents. Just like he and the staff ducked the kick off dinner last year. That is one great leader of men.
Old 03-03-18, 08:06 PM
All American

As a HC you see you are no longer wanted but continue to hang on, whose best interest are you serving?
Old 03-04-18, 09:32 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
As a HC you see you are no longer wanted but continue to hang on, whose best interest are you serving?
Louisville coaches should know a thing or two about serving their own best interest. Similar to allowing a current situation with a student athlete in trouble with the law. Kid should have been kicked off the team. Sad. No brass by the AD, administration, and the worthless coach covering up the truth.
Old 03-12-18, 11:06 AM
All District

Good news is looks like we are getting new turf in May or June. So that was a much need improvement.
Old 03-12-18, 11:54 AM
All Ohio

stupid question

can the old turf be reused and placed somewhere else in the district?

Seriously do not know - would be cool if they got a new turf and put the old turf by the high school where the practice field is behind the school
Old 03-12-18, 12:04 PM
All American

How about putting it on the field inside the track. Soccer and lacrosse could have their own place to play.
Old 03-12-18, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

I don't think you would have any arguments - either behind school or inside track

like I said - can it even be done?
Old 03-12-18, 04:18 PM
All Ohio

I would imagine the product warranty and current condition of the artificial playing surface are major factors, after all the school is replacing the turf. The majority of synthetic turf fields are product guaranteed for eight years. If I remember correctly Louisville's turf was guaranteed for eight years with a plausible expectation of lasting ten years based on Louisville's projected use. I could be wrong on the assumption though, so hold your breath. Ask 222left. I believe he was heavily involved on the project and better inclined to answer the question.
Old 03-12-18, 04:27 PM
All American

It was a warranty issue. The actual surface is still in good shape but there was a warranty issue with the seams on the lines I believe. So basically Field Turf offered to either fix the seams for free or install a brand new surface for a much reduced price.
Old 03-12-18, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

Tarkett, the manufacturer of FieldTurf, has/is faced many lawsuits for defective product. I suspect the fact they are offering a reduced price for new is a knee jerk reaction to all the filed product liabliity claims.
Old 03-13-18, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
It was a warranty issue. The actual surface is still in good shape but there was a warranty issue with the seams on the lines I believe. So basically Field Turf offered to either fix the seams for free or install a brand new surface for a much reduced price.
Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.
Old 03-13-18, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
The issues with the turf, it's replacement and cost are covered in a Rep story about the board meeting.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201803...placement-work
Old 03-13-18, 06:25 PM
All American

Not a bad deal for us. Problem with these turf companies is that many are here and gone in the same decade. I want to say we looked into 5?? Companies 8 years ago when we purchased. Of those 5 I think 3 are out of business and another is in bankruptcy. So while FieldTurf may not be perfect, they are still around and actually they approached us on the seam issue, so they are standing behind their product.