Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #391  
Old 09-25-14, 10:54 AM
#letsgetit #letsgetit is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-24-13
Posts: 1,490
#letsgetit is on a distinguished road
The play occurred on 2 point conversion
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 09-25-14, 12:43 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #letsgetit View Post
When a reciever steps out and comes back to make a catch i know its a penalty.
The foul is for illegal participation as soon as he returned in bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #letsgetit View Post
However, is it loss of down?
No. The penalty is 15 yard from the previous spot and replay the down. (or try in this instance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #letsgetit View Post
Game ended, i believe the call was correct
Call was correct in the sense that the receiver committed an illegal act. The enforcement of the penalty was incorrect. This does not result in an incomplete pass or a loss of down. The penalty should have been enforced 15 yards from the previous spot and the try is replayed.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 09-25-14, 03:34 PM
Voice Voice is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-09-10
Posts: 239
Voice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
The foul is for illegal participation as soon as he returned in bounds.



No. The penalty is 15 yard from the previous spot and replay the down. (or try in this instance)



Call was correct in the sense that the receiver committed an illegal act. The enforcement of the penalty was incorrect. This does not result in an incomplete pass or a loss of down. The penalty should have been enforced 15 yards from the previous spot and the try is replayed.
Correct, another problem was the wing signaled TD and the Backjudge signaled no good. A hat was off signalling receiver was forced or stepped out of bounds. No flag was thrown. If the receiver was forced by the D out of bounds, he could return without penalty as long as he dose without delay. The R looks like he went to find out what happened but did not change anything. The wing then signals no good, and the video ends.
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 09-25-14, 03:43 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Agreed.

Flag should have come out as soon as the receiver took his next step after stepping OOB. The Hat should have stayed on.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 09-26-14, 11:30 AM
Voice Voice is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-09-10
Posts: 239
Voice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Agreed.

Flag should have come out as soon as the receiver took his next step after stepping OOB. The Hat should have stayed on.
Why should that hat have stayed on? It was not muddy.
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 09-26-14, 10:00 PM
Reddengineer Reddengineer is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-01-07
Location: Steubenville OHIO
Posts: 698
Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Simple question, regarding crew mechanics. Who should primarily make the call of intentional grounding? We had a call made by a line judge, who could not see the receiver in the direct line of the throw, while missing the lineman that had run past him 8 yards downfield. I would think that it would/should be a call made by the referee.
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 09-26-14, 11:26 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
The Referee has this call.

The LJ or the L can assist on this by indicating to the R whether or not a receiver was in the area. However, the flag, it thrown, should come from the Referee.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 09-27-14, 06:56 AM
petev petev is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-04-13
Posts: 58
petev is on a distinguished road
Receiver goes out of bounds,one of the officials throws hat on the ground to signify it-the receiver is the first to touch the ball and scores. Touchdown- that was the call in the Mayfield/Elyria game last night. Flag was "picked up" no explainition given ??? any clues ???
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 09-27-14, 07:31 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petev View Post
Receiver goes out of bounds,one of the officials throws hat on the ground to signify it-the receiver is the first to touch the ball and scores. Touchdown- that was the call in the Mayfield/Elyria game last night. Flag was "picked up" no explainition given ??? any clues ???
Being the first to touch after going out of bounds is not a component of the illegal participation rule in High School Football.

In a nutshell, if the receiver is blocked out of bounds, he is to return to the playing field "at the first opportunity". (judgment call)

If the receiver intentionally goes/steps out of bounds he is guilty of a foul for illegal participation if he..

- returns to the field
- intentionally touches the ball
- influences the play
- otherwise participates

In the play you describe, the officials may have determined that the receiver was blocked/pushed OOB and returned legally in accordance with the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 09-28-14, 08:31 AM
ReLoad ReLoad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-23-09
Posts: 5,178
ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the penalty for intentional grounding Ohio high school football?

10 yard penalty and loss of down?
Reply With Quote
  #401  
Old 09-28-14, 09:31 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
What is the penalty for intentional grounding Ohio high school football?

10 yard penalty and loss of down?
Five yard penalty from the spot of the foul, plus loss of down.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 10-01-14, 09:37 AM
mghave mghave is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Posts: 25
mghave is on a distinguished road
Concussions are serious business. Is there any talk of empowering the officials to making an on-field determination regarding fitness for play? I would like to think that every coach would have his player's best interest in mind, but the obvious bias could cloud judgement (even unintentionally)- or they are so consumed in the moment they just don't notice a potential problem.
If the ref could take an "official time out" to give a quick check or send a questionable player for a sideline visit to the trainer for a play, I feel it may be helpful.
Don't get me wrong, I have always been and remain an "Ice it, Tape it, Suck it up" dad/coach, but after seeing this first hand, I feel that the head injuries we can't see may call for a better-safe-than-sorry approach.
I keep hearing how players and coaches need to be more attentive to concussion, but it seems obvious to me that that the refs are in the best position to make a difference.
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 10-01-14, 10:22 AM
fbofficial33 fbofficial33 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-29-14
Posts: 23
fbofficial33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Concussions are serious business. Is there any talk of empowering the officials to making an on-field determination regarding fitness for play? I would like to think that every coach would have his player's best interest in mind, but the obvious bias could cloud judgement (even unintentionally)- or they are so consumed in the moment they just don't notice a potential problem.
If the ref could take an "official time out" to give a quick check or send a questionable player for a sideline visit to the trainer for a play, I feel it may be helpful.
Don't get me wrong, I have always been and remain an "Ice it, Tape it, Suck it up" dad/coach, but after seeing this first hand, I feel that the head injuries we can't see may call for a better-safe-than-sorry approach.
I keep hearing how players and coaches need to be more attentive to concussion, but it seems obvious to me that that the refs are in the best position to make a difference.
Your thoughts?
We have been trained to see the symptoms and we DO have the ability to sit the kid down for the rest of the game if we see signs of these. If they have a doctor on the sideline, we need a signed document, if we set them down, that the doctor allows them to play. For our protection.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 10-01-14, 11:11 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbofficial33 View Post
We have been trained to see the symptoms and we DO have the ability to sit the kid down for the rest of the game if we see signs of these.
We are required by law to send them out of we observe the signs, symptoms, or behaviors associated with a concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbofficial33 View Post
If they have a doctor on the sideline, we need a signed document, if we set them down, that the doctor allows them to play. For our protection.
Say What ??? That went by the wayside when the law was put into effect in April 2013.

Last edited by AllSports12; 10-01-14 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 10-01-14, 11:17 AM
mghave mghave is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Posts: 25
mghave is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand the necessity of "professional" release- that just makes sense. I don't imagine that EMT's or trainers have the authority to sign-off and if the officials are uncertain as to whether a doc is on the sideline,maybe they are hesitant to make the move to have a player checked. They are in a tough spot if they sit a "star" for the remainder of a game when the player isn't necessarily concussed. I need to think about this a bit more...how can "we" be more effective in limiting head trauma without affecting the spirit of the game? It seems to me that more effective steps need to be taken or emphasized before the trophy-for-everyone crowd dictates unreasonable solutions.
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 10-01-14, 11:17 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Concussions are serious business. Is there any talk of empowering the officials to making an on-field determination regarding fitness for play? I would like to think that every coach would have his player's best interest in mind, but the obvious bias could cloud judgement (even unintentionally)- or they are so consumed in the moment they just don't notice a potential problem.
If the ref could take an "official time out" to give a quick check or send a questionable player for a sideline visit to the trainer for a play, I feel it may be helpful.
Don't get me wrong, I have always been and remain an "Ice it, Tape it, Suck it up" dad/coach, but after seeing this first hand, I feel that the head injuries we can't see may call for a better-safe-than-sorry approach.
I keep hearing how players and coaches need to be more attentive to concussion, but it seems obvious to me that that the refs are in the best position to make a difference.
Your thoughts?
Officials do not diagnose, they observe...... By and large, we aren't medical professionals.

If we (applies to coaches as well) observe a player exhibiting the signs, symptoms, or behaviors associated with a concussion, we are required to notify the Head Coach of such observation and the player in question is prohibited from participating for the remainder of that day. The school then must follow protocol set forth by law in order to have the player return to participation.

Last edited by AllSports12; 10-01-14 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 10-01-14, 11:20 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand the necessity of "professional" release- that just makes sense. I don't imagine that EMT's or trainers have the authority to sign-off and if the officials are uncertain as to whether a doc is on the sideline,maybe they are hesitant to make the move to have a player checked. They are in a tough spot if they sit a "star" for the remainder of a game when the player isn't necessarily concussed. I need to think about this a bit more...how can "we" be more effective in limiting head trauma without affecting the spirit of the game? It seems to me that more effective steps need to be taken or emphasized before the trophy-for-everyone crowd dictates unreasonable solutions.
Wouldn't you rather that "star" today be able to be a star in the future?
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 10-01-14, 11:23 AM
fbofficial33 fbofficial33 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-29-14
Posts: 23
fbofficial33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
We are required by law to send them out of we observe the signs, symptoms, or behaviors associated with a concussion.



Say What ???
Oops...forgot the change to the Gold Book (and state law) that required to NOT allow them back in. In years past, the previous Gold Book stated:
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 10-01-14, 11:24 AM
fbofficial33 fbofficial33 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-29-14
Posts: 23
fbofficial33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand the necessity of "professional" release- that just makes sense. I don't imagine that EMT's or trainers have the authority to sign-off and if the officials are uncertain as to whether a doc is on the sideline,maybe they are hesitant to make the move to have a player checked. They are in a tough spot if they sit a "star" for the remainder of a game when the player isn't necessarily concussed. I need to think about this a bit more...how can "we" be more effective in limiting head trauma without affecting the spirit of the game? It seems to me that more effective steps need to be taken or emphasized before the trophy-for-everyone crowd dictates unreasonable solutions.
In years past, there could be a form that allowed a player to return. This year, if we observe and send off, they do not get to return, period.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 10-01-14, 11:29 AM
mghave mghave is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Posts: 25
mghave is on a distinguished road
Allsport. Good point on the CYA statement above. Can you provide the actual protocol in place for an official's responsibility or provide a link to a resource where I can look into it? Requiring an on-the-spot release after suspected injury is problematic- especially when the official shouldn't be expected to make a definitive diagnosis.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 10-01-14, 11:31 AM
mghave mghave is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Posts: 25
mghave is on a distinguished road
Geez, I need to learn to type faster....
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 10-01-14, 11:32 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Allsport. Good point on the CYA statement above. Can you provide the actual protocol in place for an official's responsibility or provide a link to a resource where I can look into it? Requiring an on-the-spot release after suspected injury is problematic- especially when the official shouldn't be expected to make a definitive diagnosis.
http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/Concus...eb2013_PPE.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 10-01-14, 11:43 AM
mghave mghave is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Posts: 25
mghave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Wouldn't you rather that "star" today be able to be a star in the future?
Of course.

I guess this is probably what I was looking for when I posted my first question. Give the unbiased (least biased) folks on the field the ability to safeguard the athletes. End of story. I have not seen it happen yet, but I don't see many games other than the ones our team plays. The reason I even asked the question was because I too have been trained to recognize the symptoms and thought on at least a couple of occasions the referee could have made the call.

Perhaps it is a point of emphasis for upcoming classes? -or maybe it is a process that is working well overall and I should just keep stalking the site rather than contributing! No worries and thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 10-01-14, 11:51 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghave View Post
Of course.

I guess this is probably what I was looking for when I posted my first question. Give the unbiased (least biased) folks on the field the ability to safeguard the athletes. End of story. I have not seen it happen yet, but I don't see many games other than the ones our team plays. The reason I even asked the question was because I too have been trained to recognize the symptoms and thought on at least a couple of occasions the referee could have made the call.

Perhaps it is a point of emphasis for upcoming classes? -or maybe it is a process that is working well overall and I should just keep stalking the site rather than contributing! No worries and thanks for the input.
Concussion management has been a point of emphasis in Ohio for quite a while. The current law was crafted from the OHSAA regulation (sans the same day return to play allowance) that was put into place a few years prior.

When medical staff is present, we defer to the staff with regards to attending to an injured player. They begin an immediate process to diagnose and once they do, it's out of our hands at that point. If they conclude that the player is not concussed, that player is permitted back into the game. That being said, the officials should have a heightened awareness of that player and his behaviors. If said player exhibits any of the criteria aforementioned, then the official still has the duty to send that player off, regardless of the prior diagnosis/assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 10-04-14, 10:01 PM
iam4ND iam4ND is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-28-12
Posts: 11
iam4ND is on a distinguished road
What is the high school rule in Ohio for the kicking team lining up on the kickoff?
Is there a max number or min number of people on each side of the ball?
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 10-05-14, 07:39 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4ND View Post
What is the high school rule in Ohio for the kicking team lining up on the kickoff?
Is there a max number or min number of people on each side of the ball?
This is a new NFHS rule..... There must be a minimum of 4 players on either side of the kicker from the time that the Referee blows the ready for play whistle and until the ball is kicked.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 10-06-14, 08:01 AM
SNUGGLES SNUGGLES is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-22-12
Posts: 271
SNUGGLES is on a distinguished road
I have a question about a FG. If a team is lining up for a FG lets say line of scrimmage is the 20yd line and they go to kick it and it gets blocked, and the ball goes past the line of scrimmage and bounces around to the 10yd line. Where does the other team who blocked it get possession of the ball, on that 10yd line? the 20yd line where it was initially kicked from? or somewhere different? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 10-06-14, 08:10 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,487
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUGGLES View Post
I have a question about a FG. If a team is lining up for a FG lets say line of scrimmage is the 20yd line and they go to kick it and it gets blocked, and the ball goes past the line of scrimmage and bounces around to the 10yd line. Where does the other team who blocked it get possession of the ball, on that 10yd line? the 20yd line where it was initially kicked from? or somewhere different? Thanks
The ball would belong to the receiving team at the spot the kick ended, which in this play would be the 10 yard line.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 10-06-14, 09:02 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,870
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
another kicking question... from the SVSM/GlenOak thread...

If a FG is blocked, can there still be roughing the kicker?

How about a punt?

Last edited by EastYoungstown; 10-06-14 at 09:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 10-06-14, 09:03 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,870
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Another one...

Offense has the ball at their own 20, runs the ball for no gain and gets called for a personal foul on an offensive lineman during the play....

Where is the ball spotted? the 10 or the 5?

thnaks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz