Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Shelby by 17+ 3 2.73%
Shelby by 8-16 18 16.36%
Shelby by 1-7 30 27.27%
Steubenville by 1-7 18 16.36%
Steubenville by 8-16 30 27.27%
Steubenville by 17+ 11 10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-17, 09:18 PM
All District

Deareye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazardous Whippet View Post
He's set to graduate early in December and I hear he still has visits to Virginia and again to Minnesota. Smart kid he's just weighing his options. I'm told that Cincinnati also offered but he wants to go to a larger school.
Everybody wants to go where the lights are bright. And a Power 5 Conference. Again I can't blame him, and wish him luck.

I think Luke Fickell will do well at Cincinnati. Good recruiter and he loves his Ohio players.
Old 11-19-17, 09:47 PM
All District

BigRedNation76 is on a distinguished road
They look good to me after watching tape. BR has their hands full this week. 34-28 BR advances
Old 11-19-17, 10:39 PM
All District

Cannoli137 is on a distinguished road
Tackle the pass & contain the Qb, BR with the different blitz packages should be able to pressure the Qb, but hopefully can contain him.
Old 11-20-17, 08:10 AM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcaulker9 View Post
Iím sorry but I think ur full of crap you donít have any insight to what happened. I find it funny that you say let it go, why is that? Could it be that you cracked Pandoraís box by opening your mouth commenting about another program and discipline issues? Again your arrogance precedes you.
You have no idea or clue. Pandora's box of what, pray tell? As you seem to forget, I was not the poster who brought the tooic up. I have come down on the side of the Shelby kids.
Old 11-20-17, 08:33 AM
All District

Hawkcaulker9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddengineer View Post
You have no idea or clue. Pandora's box of what, pray tell? As you seem to forget, I was not the poster who brought the tooic up. I have come down on the side of the Shelby kids.
Oh I have a better understanding of why those boys got suspended than your amateur sleuthing, and pandoraís Box refers to the fact that no one from Steubenville should ever comment on how strict or soft another program is on violators of team rules. You are right you didnít bring up the suspensions they were brought up in the context of Shelby beating a team without their key players, you on the other hand want to comment on how the punishment was too strict. Waa waa waa. So let me spell it out for you, the kids got narced on for drinking at a summer party, apparently Shelby policy is 1st offense you lose 100% of extracurricular activities unless you enroll in ďcounselingĒ then it becomes 30% of scheduled games hence the three game suspensions. The kids abided by it and served 3 games, the running back got an additional game for an incident with the team picture. Believe it or not some school districts believe in holding every student to the letter of the code of conduct whether they are athletes, band members or thespians. They donít have administrators that try to circumvent rules or even cover up broken laws, unlike your program. That is all I have to say on the topic, but again I referenced Pandora because I canít control what others will say about this and your programs behavior.
Good luck to both teams
Shelby 34
BigRed 27
Old 11-20-17, 10:46 AM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
I see tools.

Shelby 49
Steubenville 21
Old 11-20-17, 10:49 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Hawkcocker......there is enough hypocrisy going around for everyone to take a look in the mirror. I remember very well when several dioceses including Columbus and throughout Ohio got together to decide whether or not they should boycott playing Big Red for the incident. Now if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black. Note: I was born, raised and still a practicing catholic. But if anyone should be boycotted it is the parochial schools.....the boycott should last until the church abandones its practice of simply moving guilty priests on to another parish to continue hurting kids. One cannot sit so high on their horse and think no one is noticing.
Old 11-20-17, 10:52 AM
All Region

Hawk....you sure know a lot of details for a guy who had zero interest in Shelby football until the earned the right to play Big Red.....ummm kind of odd if you ask me.
Old 11-20-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have seen Shelby on television a couple of times. Steubenville should win, by at least a couple td's.
Old 11-20-17, 11:18 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Hawk....you sure know a lot of details for a guy who had zero interest in Shelby football until the earned the right to play Big Red.....ummm kind of odd if you ask me.
Well seeing how you know nothing about me, Iíll enlighten you. My coworker is a Shelby alumni and former 1000 yard+ rusher and weíve discussed Shelby football for the last three years in depth. Anytime there can be support for a team that I do have insight on against Big Red Iíll throw my hat in the ring.
Old 11-20-17, 11:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Lakindo is on a distinguished road
As a lifetime fan of Big Red, I am nervous as hell. To be fair, I thought we might lose last week, but Shelby seems like an animal we haven't seen since Athens in 2014 with Burrows.
Old 11-20-17, 11:23 AM
All District

Quote:
Hawkcocker......there is enough hypocrisy going around for everyone to take a look in the mirror. I remember very well when several dioceses including Columbus and throughout Ohio got together to decide whether or not they should boycott playing Big Red for the incident. Now if that isnít the pot calling the kettle black. Note: I was born, raised and still a practicing catholic. But if anyone should be boycotted it is the parochial schools.....the boycott should last until the church abandones its practice of simply moving guilty priests on to another parish to continue hurting kids. One cannot sit so high on their horse and think no one is noticing.
That would be ok with all the publics anyway seeing how they all cried for the cbp anyway. I agree the world is a very shady place and the Vatican must do something about these atrocities. I was only speaking of reddengineer opening the can of worms and speaking about not being a ďteam ruleĒ or the coach didnít have a say.
Old 11-20-17, 11:26 AM
All Region

Quote:
Well seeing how you know nothing about me, Iíll enlighten you. My coworker is a Shelby alumni and former 1000 yard+ rusher and weíve discussed Shelby football for the last three years in depth. Anytime there can be support for a team that I do have insight on against Big Red Iíll throw my hat in the ring.
I stand corrected Hawk. My apologies.
Old 11-20-17, 11:33 AM
All District

erdna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakindo View Post
As a lifetime fan of Big Red, I am nervous as hell. To be fair, I thought we might lose last week, but Shelby seems like an animal we haven't seen since Athens in 2014 with Burrows.
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Armstrong is a nice qb but Burrow was lightyears better. Not one of Shelby's skill guys would've sniffed the field for Athens. Athens put up 58 points in the rain at Harding Stadium and fumbled twice at the 1 yd line. Shelby mustered 15 points on a neutral field. We can all agree that this year's D is way nastier than last year. Shelby has a nice team but let's not get carried away.
Old 11-20-17, 11:34 AM
Freshman

RRR_NC is on a distinguished road
Gonna be a good one

So I just watched videos on Shelby, pretty solid well coached team, great quarterback, very elusive, great blocking, defense swarms the ball.... this is gonna be a well matched game.... BIG RED, brings a dynamic package, Reno always has them ready for a war...... this game is gonna be a thriller.... I think the team that makes the less mistakes wins this one. Good luck Shelby, but RRR.
Old 11-20-17, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Big Red def plays a stronger schedule ,but I've seen it 100 times . Snake bit . Got to win this game in order to win state . Lets Go Red!!
Old 11-20-17, 11:42 AM
All District

Quote:
Shelby football until the earned the right to play Big Red...
This is another reason, you sound like Bigredfan, the arrogance oozes from you. Why did Shelby earn the right to play YOU why not Big Red earned the right to play them? Oh thatís right because you guys are the best team in the state of Ohio and 800 victories means you should automatically be placed in the final four
Good luck with that.
Old 11-20-17, 11:52 AM
Junior Varsity

He is definitely not in Burrows category. But he is at least 5x better than Brewster was last week and they made a few completions with Big Red defenders draped all over them. Plus Armstrong is a lot more mobile. I remember at Massillon last year thinking the Shelby coaches were going to get him killed if he kept running it.
Old 11-20-17, 11:54 AM
Freshman

utsherman is on a distinguished road
Armstrong just flipped from Minnesota to Virginia, with announcement made this morning. Also had offers from North Carolina and Iowa State among others. Got a call from Ryan Day a few weeks ago to check status after Emory Jones began to look elsewhere. He told OSU that he didn't want to play second-fiddle and ride the bench. Of course he would have had to compete with Joe Burrow who "was lightyears better" anyway.
Old 11-20-17, 12:14 PM
All District

Hazardous Whippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsherman View Post
Armstrong just flipped from Minnesota to Virginia, with announcement made this morning. Also had offers from North Carolina and Iowa State among others. Got a call from Ryan Day a few weeks ago to check status after Emory Jones began to look elsewhere. He told OSU that he didn't want to play second-fiddle and ride the bench. Of course he would have had to compete with Joe Burrow who "was lightyears better" anyway.
Interesting I had heard that Virginia was the new frontrunner and this just confirms it. As for Joe Burrow we don't even know if he will be the starter himself next year as he seems to have fallen behind of Dwayne Haskins.
Old 11-20-17, 12:19 PM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Shelby is outstanding . They blew everybody out in reg season with a running clock on all 10 teams and then 2 more in playoffs . Big Red will have its toughest test to date for sure . A toss up game. MAX PREPS has Shelby as the favorite . Time to put the hard hat on Big Red . Its going to be a huge battle of lines , and will to win . The Red must hold onto the ball and have no penalties to have a chance to win this game .
Old 11-20-17, 12:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Any Big Red fan who has watched this team win the last five regional titles and come home without a state title knows sh*t happens when you get to this round or beyond
Old 11-20-17, 12:54 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Big Red def plays a stronger schedule ,but I've seen it 100 times . Snake bit . Got to win this game in order to win state . Lets Go Red!!
Who the he!! did Steubenville play that was so tough? The answer? NOBODY! Shelby rolls again.
Old 11-20-17, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Steuby 51-27
Old 11-20-17, 01:23 PM
Freshman

WSAImpact is on a distinguished road
Although I picked Steubenville to win the state title back in August, Shelby's offense is off the charts. Whippets 41-21.
Old 11-20-17, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh I have a better understanding of why those boys got suspended than your amateur sleuthing, and pandora’s Box refers to the fact that no one from Steubenville should ever comment on how strict or soft another program is on violators of team rules. You are right you didn’t bring up the suspensions they were brought up in the context of Shelby beating a team without their key players, you on the other hand want to comment on how the punishment was too strict. Waa waa waa. So let me spell it out for you, the kids got narced on for drinking at a summer party, apparently Shelby policy is 1st offense you lose 100% of extracurricular activities unless you enroll in “counseling” then it becomes 30% of scheduled games hence the three game suspensions. The kids abided by it and served 3 games, the running back got an additional game for an incident with the team picture. Believe it or not some school districts believe in holding every student to the letter of the code of conduct whether they are athletes, band members or thespians. They don’t have administrators that try to circumvent rules or even cover up broken laws, unlike your program. That is all I have to say on the topic, but again I referenced Pandora because I can’t control what others will say about this and your programs behavior.
Good luck to both teams
Shelby 34
BigRed 27
Hey, nice of you to rat out the kids' claimed offense publicly . You're a class act, all the way. The charge was not proven, as it easily could have been. Your friend must not live in Shelby currently, mine does, and knows the kids involved. You make me want to puke with your sanctimonious discipline bs. The kids aren't always wrong, and adults don't always tell the truth. Bugger off. And, still waiting on that "insight." I give the kids credit for hanging in there, they were not treated fairly, imo.

Last edited by Reddengineer; 11-20-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 02:10 PM
All District

Bigred95 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Bigred95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtony View Post
Who the he!! did Steubenville play that was so tough? The answer? NOBODY! Shelby rolls again.
Tony, good name btw, you may have a point! I mean Big Red doesnít play a strictly Ohio Schedule so how can you compare schedules, especially if youíve never heard of teams like Upper St. Clair or Morgantown? Well, I decided to give it a go, what I did was compared national ranks, from MaxPreps, of each teamís opponents and average the score. Does that at least sound like a good fair start? What I found was, after 13 opponents (I included playoff games) Shelbyís opponents have an average ranking of 5,048.86; while Big Redís opponents have an average ranking of 4285. BUT thereís an issue with Big Redís average, the Canadian (St. Joseph) team isnít ranked, so I read that there were 14,048 high school football teams in the US, so I ranked that team as 14,049, they were by far not that bad, but hey, theyíre Canadian, right?

So, letís make it fair, letís eliminate each teamís lowest (worst) ranked team, Maddison (11285) for Shelby and St. Joseph (14049) for Big Red, and the highest (best) ranked team Bellevue (1238), but only one of them: p for Shelby, and Perry (864) for Big Red. And you end up with Shelbyís opponentsí avg. ranking being 4828.36 and Big Redís opponentsí avg. ranking being 3708.36. Keep in mind that MaxPreps has Shelby ranked higher than Big Red at 185, while Big Red is ranked 300. So, to answer your question, Big Red may not have played anyone that was ďso toughĒ, but their schedule was still far tougher than Shelbyís!

Annnnd if youíre wondering, I had some free during lunch!
Old 11-20-17, 02:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred95 View Post
Tony, good name btw, you may have a point! I mean Big Red doesn’t play a strictly Ohio Schedule so how can you compare schedules, especially if you’ve never heard of teams like Upper St. Clair or Morgantown? Well, I decided to give it a go, what I did was compared national ranks, from MaxPreps, of each team’s opponents and average the score. Does that at least sound like a good fair start? What I found was, after 13 opponents (I included playoff games) Shelby’s opponents have an average ranking of 5,048.86; while Big Red’s opponents have an average ranking of 4285. BUT there’s an issue with Big Red’s average, the Canadian (St. Joseph) team isn’t ranked, so I read that there were 14,048 high school football teams in the US, so I ranked that team as 14,049, they were by far not that bad, but hey, they’re Canadian, right?

So, let’s make it fair, let’s eliminate each team’s lowest (worst) ranked team, Maddison (11285) for Shelby and St. Joseph (14049) for Big Red, and the highest (best) ranked team Bellevue (1238), but only one of them: p for Shelby, and Perry (864) for Big Red. And you end up with Shelby’s opponents’ avg. ranking being 4828.36 and Big Red’s opponents’ avg. ranking being 3708.36. Keep in mind that MaxPreps has Shelby ranked higher than Big Red at 185, while Big Red is ranked 300. So, to answer your question, Big Red may not have played anyone that was “so tough”, but their schedule was still far tougher than Shelby’s!

Annnnd if you’re wondering, I had some free during lunch!
Well, I'm not Irish, I'm Italian....well, somewhat Italian.....OK, I'm 1/4 Italian. Everything else is Heinz 57. And no, I'm not Tony cuz I'm Italian.

Sooooooo.....if Shelby is ranked above Steubenville and Steubenville is so much better than Shelby, then Max Prep numbers mean nothing....at least that's what I've come to find out in wrestling. So rankings aside, how about team records?

Upper St. Claire 8-4
Morgantown 4-7
Boardman 6-5
USO 4-7
Dover 6-4
Ursuline 2-8
New Philadelphia 9-2
O'Hara 3-7
University 7-4

Playoffs
Salem 7-4
Mooney 7-5
Perry 12-1

So hardly a powerhouse schedule any way you slice it.

Whippets 49
Steubenville 21

Go Whippets!

And for lunch....I worked out.
Old 11-20-17, 03:08 PM
Junior Varsity

A guy named Tony went and worked out at lunch. Shocker. Did you catch a tan also?
Old 11-20-17, 03:10 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Have to go with Big Red but Shelby should make it a close game