Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-18-17, 10:21 PM
All Region

sam the butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes congrats to Mentor.
Old 11-20-17, 05:04 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
I'm a Solon Alum who played during some of the peak years of our program (99-02). I'm extremely proud of what we built as players and a coaching staff during the time I was at Solon. As a program, to a man we bought into the mission of winning a state championship with absolute dedication. Even today, I still carry a tremendous amount of pride not just for what we accomplished, but for the level of commitment displayed individually and as a team - I'd never been a part of something like that before, and haven't ever been since.

With that being said, I'm rooting 100% for Mentor to win it all this year and bring it home. The torch has clearly been passed (and really, in essence it was passed way back in the 2002 playoff game when you guys beat an outstanding Solon team that had sights on a championship in OT). It's obvious to everybody, both within the Cardinals program and externally, that you guys have achieved that same level of buy-in that everybody should be so proud of.

I hope that you guys bring one home for the D1 public schools in Northeast Ohio; we've been starving for a championship for awhile now that can be touted as a public school achievement and I can't think of a better school to achieve that goal.

BEST OF LUCK!
Old 11-21-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
It is crazy to think that all of the D1 publics in the Cleveland area have not been able to finish the job. Several (Solon in 00, Mentor in 06/07/13, and Glenville in 09) had their chances. Four of those five games were very close and could have gone either way. Glenville and Mentor were both an HD two-point conversion away from winning.

Mentor is still two games away, so this is premature and will be quite a challenge. Have to focus on Liberty. They will be a handful.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 11-21-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 10:58 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Glenville was 2009
Old 11-21-17, 11:02 AM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Brady Benz suffered a lacerated kidney during the St. Ignatius game. He was helped off the field after a player fell on him. He received medical attention and his parents took him to the hospital. He will make a full recovery and will be able to play next year. So glad the young man is okay. He will be missed on defense.
Old 11-21-17, 11:05 AM
All American

Congrats to Tatarunas for sharing the Tony Fisher Award with Brush's Godwin Joe.-- very well-deserved!

Hopefully Mentor advances and Tatarunas gets a D-I offer. Syracuse is still in the mix to possibly offering him. Bart Tanski is an assistant coach there.
Old 11-21-17, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Brady Benz suffered a lacerated kidney during the St. Ignatius game. He was helped off the field after a player fell on him. He received medical attention and his parents took him to the hospital. He will make a full recovery and will be able to play next year. So glad the young man is okay. He will be missed on defense.
Benz will be missed. He is one of the more impact players on defense and was part of the reason why the defense has played better lately. His role as OLB in a 3-4 is pretty important. I don't remember who came in for him after his injury, but hopefully they can fill the role well.
Old 11-21-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
The outpouring of respect for what Mentor has done is very nice on here. Thanks for the kind words all. I just hope they can finish one of these years with a title

Would make it a lot easier after a title to enjoy the journeys fully. Right now there is dread on my part on coming up short again. And I think like many have said, this program and community deserve a title in football. Came up just short a lot and have paid their dues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-17, 10:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
The outpouring of respect for what Mentor has done is very nice on here. Thanks for the kind words all. I just hope they can finish one of these years with a title

Would make it a lot easier after a title to enjoy the journeys fully. Right now there is dread on my part on coming up short again. And I think like many have said, this program and community deserve a title in football. Came up just short a lot and have paid their dues

I like Mentor's chances this week. HOWEVER, unless Mentor smashes Olentangy Liberty, they will be underdogs in the finals. In Week 5, Olentangy Liberty was blanked by Pickerington North, 42-0. Pickerington North lost to Pickerington Central in the Region 3 finals, 31-14. Colerain, a perennial defensive jauggernaut and Region 4 winner, will play Pickerington Central in the other semi-final.
Old 11-22-17, 06:39 AM
All Yappi

Transitive property doesn't work in any sport. Let alone comparing week 1 to week 15 with different teams in football

And I don't care if Mentor is an underdog or favorite on paper. They've already went two rounds longer than I thought they would. Hope they stay hungry

Old 11-22-17, 06:41 AM
All American

They will be underdogs regardless , PC and Colerain are rated a bit higher than Mentor this year , Mentor is the best program not to win a title , they have been pretty consistent overall the last 15-20 years , but this doesn't appear to be their best team on paper, but they have played a different style , more conservatively and played better defense in their back to back wins vs the Cleveland Catholics.

That 42-0 to North was bad but a while ago , defining teams by their worst efforts can be tricky , it seems that result is coming up a lot in terms of trying to determine Liberty's strength or lack thereof . Liberty is a much better team, now, but they are an underdog in this one somewhere around 11- 14 points IMO , Cal Preps has it 14 Pastuer has it at 9 .

What will be interesting is , does Mentor stick with a a more run oriented attack than usual anyway and take that route again or do they open it up because they don't respect or aren't as afraid of Liberty's offense as they were Ed's or Iggy's?

Using clock and the run game successfully is always the best ways to limit your defenses exposure . Liberty run defense is pretty solid now, my thought is Mentor goes back to throwing more , Liberty has a big back at about 225 with good feet that Mentor will have to slow down , should be interesting, I like Mentor by about 10
Old 11-22-17, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Big reversal from preseason where you defended region 2 by saying mentor would lose to 5-6 teams in that region. And you included the olentangys...

Nobody cares about an underdog on paper. It's high school. And if Mentor can upset Ignatius and Eds then thy have some shot against either team

Old 11-22-17, 11:26 AM
All American

Didn't say they didn't have a shot, whether any one cares about who is the favorite or not people do talk about that including on this thread, and yes you saw this coming from the start good work guy you are the only one apparently . the kind words and thanks and even I said best program to not get that title
Old 11-22-17, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Go Cards!!

Quote:
Transitive property doesn't work in any sport. Let alone comparing week 1 to week 15 with different teams in football

And I don't care if Mentor is an underdog or favorite on paper. They've already went two rounds longer than I thought they would. Hope they stay hungry

Good Luck to the Mentor Cards and my friend Conor! His grandpap and I are very good friends. Go for it! Believeland!! Get it Done!
Old 11-22-17, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
Good Luck to the Mentor Cards and my friend Conor! His grandpap and I are very good friends. Go for it! Believeland!! Get it Done!

Oh that's cool to hear. He's done well

Old 11-22-17, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

I don't know what Mentor's best shot at winning Friday will be. I know nothing really about Liberty. I do think the offense will be prepared for anything. If running 80% of the time is in their favor, they will do that. If Liberty shows they are unable to stay with Mentor's receivers, I hope Mentor exploits that. Lots of opportunities for Mentor on offense. Who would have thought that Mentor could have won two playoff games against Ignatius and Eds with only scoring 23 and 21 points? I have a feeling the offense will break out a bit more this week and will get in the 30's. I think they might have to.

Defensively, will Mentor be able to maintain this kind of play? It won't be as easy to do if Mentor reverts back to the quick-strike offense that puts the defense out on the field more frequently. Liberty will probably not be quite as conservative as the previous two opponents. Mentor's defense will be tested. Let's see if they are ready.
Old 11-22-17, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Mentor's slogan/hashtag this season is "We Believe." But it has the #12 inside to say We BEL12VE

Obviously this is a reference to #12, our QB. Maybe there is some other reason I don't know of that includes the number 12. Seems strange to me that a TEAM would have a slogan focused on an individual. On another note, as Mentor's success has become more about the running game (and less about Tatarunas and the passing game), I do have to give credit to the senior QB. He looks as happy as anyone. I think he could care less if he throws for 100 or 400 yards this week - a win is a win.
Old 11-24-17, 10:24 PM
All American

Great win over Liberty. Not shocking that the Mentor staff would be scared and call a running play on 3rd down and 4 to go. Since McIntosh missed the last PAT and were only up 6 points, they should have relied on Tatarunas' arm to find one of their receivers for the first down. It almost came back to bite them in the you-know-what. Hopefully four is a charm! Already a three-time runner-up.
Old 11-24-17, 10:45 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
As I expected, Mentor is in Canton Week 15. Pick Central looked quite good tonight, so a huge challenge awaits.
Old 11-25-17, 12:50 AM
All Yappi

Almost blew that game to Liberty. And Mentor was the most talented of the two teams by far. Need to get healthy and clean some things up for next week

Look to be the underdog vs Pick Central but this Mentor team is tough and I like how they are playing. I think we can finally pull it off this year. Big challenge but hope its finally our year

Old 11-25-17, 12:51 AM
Varsity

trivbird is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Mentor Cardinals!! Anyone have an update on Elijah McDougall?
Old 11-25-17, 05:41 AM
All American

#8 LOGAN SHEA: 7 rec, 97 yds, 0 tds
Team Stats
Scoring
Play by Play
Rosters

LIB
MEN
Number of Plays
Total Offense
Time of Possession
21:27
26:04
Rushing Attempts - Yards
27 - 179
41 - 152
Passing: Completions - Attempts
19 - 36
22 - 32
Passing Yards
Passing: Touchdowns - Interceptions
2 - 0
1 - 1
Fumbles - Lost
1 - 1
0 - 0
Turnovers
First Downs
First Downs - Rushing
First Downs - Passing
First Downs - Penalties
Third Down Conversions/Attempts
6/15 (40%)
8/18 (44.4%)
Fourth Down Conversions/Attempts
1/2 (50%)
3/4 (75%)
Penalties - Yards
10 - 105
10 - 95
Defensive Sacks - Yards
0 - 0
0 - 0
Punts - Average
6 - 24.2
4 - 39.8
As reported by:
Olentangy Liberty
Olentangy Liberty

What criteria are you using to surmise that Mentor was the more talented team BY FAR ?

Looks like it was a good tough competitive contest to me but then again you are the expert
Old 11-25-17, 06:18 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor rb did not play, shoul d be fine next week.Cardzfan and mentor grad congrat on the year, i be there, yourbplayers want title bad.Tadas parenta are nice people.
Old 11-25-17, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

Here we go again! Fourth trip to Canton in December over the last 12 seasons. Time to finish it!
Old 11-25-17, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

It really is very impressive how this team has gelled. No one expected them to get this far. Most will pick PC to win on yappi but who cares ?

I hope they get it done but they've already highly impressed me this season.

There are only 2 teams left in D1. All the people who will say we have no shot have their teams sitting at home. Some for many weeks

I'll take being in the game any day over long being eliminated and truly having no shot

Go Cards! Get that last upset and finish it !

Old 11-25-17, 04:29 PM
All American

Saying that you think the opponent will win or is favored or should be favored is NOT SAYING YOU HAVE NO SHOT , not that big an upset if it is at all Cal Preps has Mentor winning OK by a point but winning , NO UPSET, I think the thing is because of history ST Ed's and Iggy are sometimes OVERRATED which to me is why Mentor is seen as a favorite by them .

PC bigger stronger and faster than Liberty no question about that , and you were not SOOOOO much more talented or better than Liberty as you claim , so good luck stopping the run next week Liberty ran and has about 40 percent of PC'S O-line good luck
Old 11-25-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It really is very impressive how this team has gelled. No one expected them to get this far. Most will pick PC to win on yappi but who cares ?

I hope they get it done but they've already highly impressed me this season.

There are only 2 teams left in D1. All the people who will say we have no shot have their teams sitting at home. Some for many weeks

I'll take being in the game any day over long being eliminated and truly having no shot

Go Cards! Get that last upset and finish it !

Dude, itís not about that. Just like itís not about ripping coaches schemes or preparation at the high school level. Oh well, go cards
Old 11-25-17, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

Ok guys You two have been picking fights all year with me here. Stick to the general threads. Don't need it in our team thread

ES has been on our team thread for years. So random for a firelands fan to care. Great you don't like me. Get a life. You don't see me in your team threads ( if anyone even cares about that school ). Just go away

Btw you keep saying Liberty ran Harry. They had a couple long runs. Their running back had 15 carries for 53 yards... you keep saying yardage was close to the same. Mentor had over 160 yards more total offense (at least per news herald)

Mentor didn't play their best. Squandered a lot of scoring chances. Played without their best playmaker. And were still up 13 with 5 minutes to go

Almost choked it away but they didn't. I still maintain mentor as a team was way more talented than Liberty. But upsets happen and teams don't always play their best game.

Pc only beat lancaster 14-13 earlier in this year. Doesn't mean pc isn't way more talented than them. Can have a bad game. And Mentor almost blew it at the end

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 11-25-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 06:16 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Thanks for the nice write-up. I foresee this week 2 game as being a fairly close match-up.

The Cats need to gain experience at QB, the DLine and at LB. Playing Hoban in week 1 will help as compared to first week games vs Normandy the past 2 seasons. With the Cats talent level uncertainty and inexperience of the D's front 6 along with the Cardsí offensive system, talent and experience, this game will be a significant challenge for the Catsí defense. The Catsí ball control on offense with Bobinski is going to be important to keep the Cardsí offense off the field.

For the Cardinals, I envision this season could be quite similar to Ignatiusí experience last year Ė a previous disappointing non-playoff season, followed by a very strong season and playoff run. The Cards have talent, experience and they will be motivated. I recall the posts of 4 years ago about this senior class being highly regarded coming out of middle school and as freshmen, they only lost to Ignatius. Several got significant varsity playing time as sophomores and this will be their 3rd year. Last season had some unfortunate injuries and inconsistency. With 14 starters returning at most positions, I really think the Cards are poised to make a deep run this year.

Week 2 will be a fun game and I expect there likely could once again be a round 2 in the post-season.
I guess my crystal ball for the Cards back in August was a pretty good prediction after all. Unlike Ignatius last year, bring home the championship to NE Ohio this Friday night. Good luck to the Cards!
Old 11-26-17, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
I guess my crystal ball for the Cards back in August was a pretty good prediction after all. Unlike Ignatius last year, bring home the championship to NE Ohio this Friday night. Good luck to the Cards!
Good call. I didn't see it. Honestly, until McDougal changed the shape of the team - I'm not sure we are even having this discussion about the title game. Hopefully Mentor's run ends better than Ignatius last year.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 11-28-17 at 12:50 PM.