Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-19, 01:26 PM
wildcat71 wildcat71 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Posts: 1,820
wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Mantua Crestwood considers Chagrin

Mantua Crestwood is the next Portage trail member to explore leaving. This is not new as about 25 years ago when they were much larger than most Portage county schools this was brought up. But now they are similar to most of the schools in size. Another district that is financially struggling and may join a league that increases transportation costs.....better think this one through .
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-30-19, 05:00 PM
nupanther nupanther is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-24-10
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 1,053
nupanther is on a distinguished road
I read this article on the record courier and Crestwood is saying all the usual talking points (Better for all sports, less football OOC games, etc) But I'm wondering if they are anticipating an end to the PTC and are being proactive in finding a home before the dust settles.
  #3  
Old 06-30-19, 05:25 PM
PTC Junky PTC Junky is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-16
Posts: 91
PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
If you read the article it clearly states that Crestwood offers sports that the remaining PTC schools don't offer such as swimming, bowling, etc. Or you have some schools that don't offer certain sports (Lake Center no football, Mogadore no mens soccer, Valley Christian no softball and baseball) this is a similar reason Roosevelt left the PTC for the Suburban. The only school close proximity to Crestwood is Garfield, otherwise they are looking at 45-60 minute bus ride to every other school except maybe Rootstown. It is a shame to see PTC disband but look across Northeast Ohio and you see a ton of movement everywhere. It'll be interesting to see where the remaining schools wind up, likely in a weaker conference such as the PAC 7 or MVAC. I don't see Suburban or CVC wanting any of these other schools. Valley Christian and Lake Center should join Northcoast League with other small private schools such as St. Thomas Aquinas and Warren JFK,
  #4  
Old 06-30-19, 06:05 PM
Jaws31 Jaws31 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-16
Posts: 688
Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Junky View Post
If you read the article it clearly states that Crestwood offers sports that the remaining PTC schools don't offer such as swimming, bowling, etc. Or you have some schools that don't offer certain sports (Lake Center no football, Mogadore no mens soccer, Valley Christian no softball and baseball) this is a similar reason Roosevelt left the PTC for the Suburban. The only school close proximity to Crestwood is Garfield, otherwise they are looking at 45-60 minute bus ride to every other school except maybe Rootstown. It is a shame to see PTC disband but look across Northeast Ohio and you see a ton of movement everywhere. It'll be interesting to see where the remaining schools wind up, likely in a weaker conference such as the PAC 7 or MVAC. I don't see Suburban or CVC wanting any of these other schools. Valley Christian and Lake Center should join Northcoast League with other small private schools such as St. Thomas Aquinas and Warren JFK,
Aquinas has already left the NCL, JFK will probably be out after this season and VASJ looks like they are leaving as well. The smaller school division of the NCL will be in life support. Maybe some of these school could get together and form a new league.
  #5  
Old 06-30-19, 08:24 PM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 11,374
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Fairport is leaving the CVC, so the league would probably like to try and replace them with somebody. Not sure that Crestwood is a great fit geographically. They aren't too far from Berkshire, Cardinal, or Chagrin - but over 20 miles away (in many cases, 40+ miles) from everyone else. This would be a desperate move for Crestwood. I'm sure the CVC would take them though if they had no other interested parties.

Crestwood would be in a football league with Kirtland, Cardinal, Berkshire, Grand Valley, Hawken, Wickliffe, and Beachwood - well one of the final three listed would have to join the other division of the CVC to replace Fairport. Personally, I think Gilmour makes much more sense to the CVC than Crestwood.
  #6  
Old 07-01-19, 07:37 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 12,037
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Isn't Crestwood football participation at an all-time low?
  #7  
Old 07-01-19, 07:43 AM
fridayfootball fridayfootball is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-14
Posts: 125
fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
I don't know how the numbers are but they should be really good this year
  #8  
Old 07-01-19, 10:12 AM
PTC Junky PTC Junky is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-16
Posts: 91
PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Fairport is leaving the CVC, so the league would probably like to try and replace them with somebody. Not sure that Crestwood is a great fit geographically. They aren't too far from Berkshire, Cardinal, or Chagrin - but over 20 miles away (in many cases, 40+ miles) from everyone else. This would be a desperate move for Crestwood. I'm sure the CVC would take them though if they had no other interested parties.

Crestwood would be in a football league with Kirtland, Cardinal, Berkshire, Grand Valley, Hawken, Wickliffe, and Beachwood - well one of the final three listed would have to join the other division of the CVC to replace Fairport. Personally, I think Gilmour makes much more sense to the CVC than Crestwood.
Not exactly why it would be considered a desperate move, the PTC is a dying conference and schools need to do what's best for them. Heading to the CVC would be a step up in competition but PTC schools have played a lot of these schools in non league contests in a variety of sports and CVC offers the sports they are looking for. Crestwood is not the only PTC County member looking elsewhere...
  #9  
Old 07-01-19, 01:34 PM
fridayfootball fridayfootball is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-14
Posts: 125
fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
PTC Junky what's your way to early PTC Metro and County predictions for this year?
  #10  
Old 07-01-19, 01:47 PM
wildcat71 wildcat71 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Posts: 1,820
wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
If Crestwood accepts, look for J.A. Garfield to follow. As for a step up...well Kirtland becomes the new Mogadore, the other schools would be comparable to what is in the PTC .
  #11  
Old 07-01-19, 01:49 PM
fridayfootball fridayfootball is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-14
Posts: 125
fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
I actually think it would be an easier league for them. What's your preseason county prediction wildcat?
  #12  
Old 07-01-19, 02:09 PM
therock02 therock02 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-11-15
Posts: 103
therock02 is on a distinguished road
Chippewa, United Local, Waterloo and Toronto as their out of conference schedule??! That is soft city...if they can’t muster 6-7 wins with that schedule then they are in trouble
  #13  
Old 07-01-19, 03:25 PM
wildcat71 wildcat71 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Posts: 1,820
wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfootball View Post
I actually think it would be an easier league for them. What's your preseason county prediction wildcat?
Mogadore lost qb, alot of offense, receivers. Their qb this year will be a senior who is really big. They always tend to find the players. Rootstown lost a whole lot. Crestwood returns some play makers in addition to adding the 2 seniors who transferred back from Windham 1 at qb. Garfield had some players last season. Southeast was young last year should be improved. Valley...speed but not too disciplined. Mogadore out of conference is toughest in league. Hopefully they stay healthy. Could come down to last game, Crestwood at Mogadore. Wildcats play only Valley and Crestwood home.
I see it as follows
Mogadore, Crestwood, Garfield, Valley, Rootstown, Southeast. Who knows they are kids!!
  #14  
Old 07-01-19, 08:40 PM
fridayfootball fridayfootball is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-14
Posts: 125
fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
I think it will come down to that week 10 game. I would switch SE and Valley
  #15  
Old 07-02-19, 07:11 AM
PTC Junky PTC Junky is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-16
Posts: 91
PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfootball View Post
PTC Junky what's your way to early PTC Metro and County predictions for this year?
County will be competitive as always. I think Mogadore, Crestwood and Valley Christian all have the personnel to make playoffs. In terms of conference race, it always go through Mogadore. Crestwood and Garrettsville graduated key players but still return a lotted should give them a shot. Rootstown will be interesting with what they lost, they have an excellent coach and hopefully based on past success they find a way to keep it going. Southeast should be competitive but still not there yet.
  #16  
Old 07-02-19, 08:03 AM
BlackandGold's Avatar
BlackandGold BlackandGold is offline
#BleedBlack&Gold
 
Join Date: 07-31-02
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,433
BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Fairport is leaving the CVC, so the league would probably like to try and replace them with somebody. Not sure that Crestwood is a great fit geographically. They aren't too far from Berkshire, Cardinal, or Chagrin - but over 20 miles away (in many cases, 40+ miles) from everyone else. This would be a desperate move for Crestwood. I'm sure the CVC would take them though if they had no other interested parties.

Crestwood would be in a football league with Kirtland, Cardinal, Berkshire, Grand Valley, Hawken, Wickliffe, and Beachwood - well one of the final three listed would have to join the other division of the CVC to replace Fairport. Personally, I think Gilmour makes much more sense to the CVC than Crestwood.
If the CVC wants 3 divisions of 8 schools, they could add both Crestwood and Garfield to the Valley and Gilmour and Hawken to the Metro.
  #17  
Old 07-02-19, 09:22 AM
Old Wildcat Old Wildcat is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-04-07
Location: Mogadore now Alliance
Posts: 653
Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Its a shame that programs like Waterloo were very good as was rootstown till the mid 80's. Now Crestwoods enrollment has dropped. The culprit is soccer. Roorstown has rebounded but small schools dont have enough athletes to support football and soccer. Traditionally mogadore is pretty good. Theres nothing in the water that makes them so good, it's that in mogadore you dont even say the word soccer. I dont have the answer but some hard decisions might have to be considered. Crestwood leaving because mogadore doesn't have soccer is kinda an excuse. Mogadore joined the PCL in 1968 and has never had soccer. Instead of looking for a weaker league get better. Work harder, find the right coaches. Ok soccer fans I'm ready for the lambasting.
  #18  
Old 07-02-19, 09:18 PM
Cleatmark Cleatmark is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-02-17
Posts: 9
Cleatmark is on a distinguished road
Agreed, although time and things change. I never thought I would see the day that Mogadore would install turf. I'm a grass guy myself and felt that grass has always helped Mogadore. Who know...soccer or lacrosse could be around the corner. Yea Right !!!!!
  #19  
Old 07-02-19, 09:41 PM
bucksman bucksman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-10-01
Location: Having fun somewhere :-)
Posts: 31,359
bucksman will become famous soon enough
CVC as a whole is probably "fine" with an 8-7-7 for football, since the two groups of seven can play a "crossover" game in the week they aren't playing a divisional opponent.

The upper group of eight is finally relatively settled: Chagrin, Orange, West G, Perry, Geneva, Harvey, Edgewood, and Lakeside. Everyone is relatively happy with their placement - as opposed to previously when there was tussling to get out of the top eight and into the lower grouping.

This year, the lower groups are as follows:
"West" -- Cuyahoga Hts, Independence, Fairport, Richmond Hts, Trinity, Brooklyn, and Lutheran West (one can put 2 + 2 together, and get to why Fairport left the league given this configuration, and that they have the least breadth of sports offerings in the league along with Richmond Hts)
"East" -- Cardinal, Berkshire, Beachwood, Kirtland, Wickliffe, Grand Valley, Hawken

On the hypothetical that Crestwood chose to join the conference, they would plug-and-play into an east alignment with Beachwood going to a west alignment for football.

I am unsure what the implications would be for other sports, as Crestwood is obviously much different both geographically and in enrollment than Fairport.

I am completely speculating on why Crestwood is interested, but I am guessing they don't want to be left without a place at the table should the PTC no longer be viable. I also don't know if (1) Garfield is interested in the CVC or (2) the CVC is interested in an expansion beyond 22. My opinion would be that the CVC membership would be less interested in Gilmour than Gilmour is in the CVC.

Last edited by bucksman; 07-03-19 at 04:07 PM.
  #20  
Old 07-02-19, 09:47 PM
BlackandGold's Avatar
BlackandGold BlackandGold is offline
#BleedBlack&Gold
 
Join Date: 07-31-02
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,433
BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
CVC as a whole is probably "fine" with an 8-7-7 for football, since the two groups of seven can play a "crossover" game in the week they aren't playing a divisional opponent.

The upper group of eight is finally relatively settled: Chagrin, Orange, West G, Perry, Geneva, Harvey, Edgewood, and Lakeside. Everyone is relatively happy with their placement - as opposed to previously when there was tussling to get out of the top eight and into the lower grouping.

This year, the lower groups are as follows:
"West" -- Cuyahoga Hts, Independence, Fairport, Richmond Hts, Trinity, Brooklyn, and Lutheran West (one can put 2 + 2 together, and get to why Fairport left the league given this configuration, and that they have the least breadth of sports offerings in the league along with Richmond Hts)
"East" -- Cardinal, Berkshire, Beachwood, Kirtland, Wickliffe, Grand Valley, Jefferson

On the hypothetical that Crestwood chose to join the conference, they would plug-and-play into an east alignment with Beachwood going to a west alignment for football.

I am unsure what the implications would be for other sports, as Crestwood is obviously much different both geographically and in enrollment than Fairport.

I am completely speculating on why Crestwood is interested, but I am guessing they don't want to be left without a place at the table should the PTC no longer be viable. I also don't know if (1) Garfield is interested in the CVC or (2) the CVC is interested in an expansion beyond 22. My opinion would be that the CVC membership would be less interested in Gilmour than Gilmour is in the CVC.
Hawken should be in place of Jefferson for this year’s east division.
  #21  
Old 07-02-19, 10:37 PM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 3,243
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Jefferson is in NE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
This year, the lower groups are as follows:
"West" -- Cuyahoga Hts, Independence, Fairport, Richmond Hts, Trinity, Brooklyn, and Lutheran West (one can put 2 + 2 together, and get to why Fairport left the league given this configuration, and that they have the least breadth of sports offerings in the league along with Richmond Hts)
"East" -- Cardinal, Berkshire, Beachwood, Kirtland, Wickliffe, Grand Valley, Jefferson.
A little confused.
Jefferson Area is in the NE8 with 7 other schools from Trumbull/Mahoning counties.
Or am I missing something?

  #22  
Old 07-02-19, 10:39 PM
Buckeye Elite Buckeye Elite is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-10-14
Location: Struthers ohio
Posts: 2,824
Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Jefferson is in the NE8 even tho I wish they weren’t, no points from that team
  #23  
Old 07-03-19, 11:33 AM
pcbuck pcbuck is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-10-11
Posts: 427
pcbuck is on a distinguished road
According to the Record Courier, the other 4 Portage county schools are awaiting Crestwood’s decision in the next week or 2. If Crestwood stays the PTC County schools will stick together and look to add other schools. If Crestwood leaves the 4 other Portage schools will try to find a landing place together if possible.

Last edited by pcbuck; 07-03-19 at 02:52 PM.
  #24  
Old 07-03-19, 11:57 AM
PTC Junky PTC Junky is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-16
Posts: 91
PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Its a shame that programs like Waterloo were very good as was rootstown till the mid 80's. Now Crestwoods enrollment has dropped. The culprit is soccer. Roorstown has rebounded but small schools dont have enough athletes to support football and soccer. Traditionally mogadore is pretty good. Theres nothing in the water that makes them so good, it's that in mogadore you dont even say the word soccer. I dont have the answer but some hard decisions might have to be considered. Crestwood leaving because mogadore doesn't have soccer is kinda an excuse. Mogadore joined the PCL in 1968 and has never had soccer. Instead of looking for a weaker league get better. Work harder, find the right coaches. Ok soccer fans I'm ready for the lambasting.
The idea that a school would leave a school because one team doesn't field a soccer team is a ridiculous statement, even for Yappi. Again, the broader picture...should a school be forced to drop athletic programs because its conference members don't have it or work toward finding a better fit? Again, look at Roosevelt it is a major reason they left.
  #25  
Old 07-03-19, 01:39 PM
wildcat71 wildcat71 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Posts: 1,820
wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Well Crestwood has many sports teams other PTC don't. Swimming , girls golf, boys and girls tennis, include bowling which only Garfield and Rootstown have. Lake Centet and Valley have very few sports offered. Lake no football, among others. Just wonder how the ,Chagrin stacks up in comparison.
  #26  
Old 07-03-19, 02:14 PM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 3,559
jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Well Crestwood has many sports teams other PTC don't. Swimming , girls golf, boys and girls tennis, include bowling which only Garfield and Rootstown have. Lake Centet and Valley have very few sports offered. Lake no football, among others. Just wonder how the ,Chagrin stacks up in comparison.
Lake Center and Valley Christian both don't have wrestling either. In the PTC County (once Metro leaves) there are only 5 schools with wrestling (Crestwood, Southeast, Garfield, Rootstown, and Mogadore).
  #27  
Old 07-03-19, 04:08 PM
bucksman bucksman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-10-01
Location: Having fun somewhere :-)
Posts: 31,359
bucksman will become famous soon enough
B&G: I meant Hawken, not Jefferson. Thanks for correcting.
  #28  
Old 07-04-19, 06:39 AM
Old Wildcat Old Wildcat is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-04-07
Location: Mogadore now Alliance
Posts: 653
Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Junky View Post
The idea that a school would leave a school because one team doesn't field a soccer team is a ridiculous statement, even for Yappi. Again, the broader picture...should a school be forced to drop athletic programs because its conference members don't have it or work toward finding a better fit? Again, look at Roosevelt it is a major reason they left.
If you had read all the posts I was just stating what someone had posted earlier. I agree that they wouldn't leave do to mogadore not having soccer. But I do believe that smaller schools do not have enough athletes for both sports. Its proven that it kills programs.
  #29  
Old 07-05-19, 08:18 AM
CometStrong CometStrong is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-25-18
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Posts: 143
CometStrong is on a distinguished road
I had lunch with Garrettsville Garfield superintendent Ted Lysiak on July 1st. I was up visiting from Florida. He’s a former student of mine at Coventry. He said that the superintendents of the PTC county schools had met at his school that very same morning. He told me that Crestwood, his neighboring district, would quite likely leave by the 2020-21 school year for the Chagrin Valley Conference and that the remaining county schools were looking into merging with the Mahoning Valley Conference. Just talk so far but fairly certain the PTC County would disband. Neither Waterloo or Windham are interested. Told me also Kent Roosevelt was interested in joining the Metro schools in their new league by 2020-21 if Field or possibly someone else leaves. Nothing certain but that’s what he said.

Last edited by CometStrong; 07-05-19 at 08:49 AM.
  #30  
Old 07-05-19, 08:39 AM
CometStrong CometStrong is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-25-18
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Posts: 143
CometStrong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
According to the Record Courier, the other 4 Portage county schools are awaiting Crestwood’s decision in the next week or 2. If Crestwood stays the PTC County schools will stick together and look to add other schools. If Crestwood leaves the 4 other Portage schools will try to find a landing place together if possible.
Yes, you are correct.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chagrin Valley Conference (CVC) adds teams, shifts alignment bucksman Football 43 09-15-18 12:30 PM
The Crestwood Youth Open is Saturday, Jan. 20th! Rookie, Open & MS Divisions Kickoff Classic Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 0 01-15-18 12:32 PM
The Crestwood Youth Open is Saturday, Jan. 20th! Rookie, Open & MS Divisions Kickoff Classic Wrestling 0 01-15-18 12:29 PM
Really Need Help With These Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 51 11-30-17 03:36 PM
Chagrin Valley Conference Accepting Applications for Conference Commissioner coachpeters General Board 0 05-04-17 04:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.