Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-27-19, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Latest Hazing Accusation

Berea-Midpark is now dealing with rumors of hazing at an off-site camp.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...s-in-cleveland

When will this ever end?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-19, 07:20 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Yeh, if what allegedly happened did indeed happen, it’s worse than Revere’s situation.
Old 06-27-19, 08:49 PM
Junior Varsity

parenttarget is on a distinguished road
If someone was a witness and did not report it, they will probably be in trouble. It is a crime to not report a crime. It is also probably in every schools student code of conduct that it is a violation to be a witness to this and not report it.
Old 06-27-19, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Berea-Midpark camped at Case Western 2 weeks ago. This has evidently been simmering for a while.
Old 06-27-19, 10:52 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by parenttarget View Post
If someone was a witness and did not report it, they will probably be in trouble. It is a crime to not report a crime. It is also probably in every schools student code of conduct that it is a violation to be a witness to this and not report it.
Yup! That is why I told the student's father to get a criminal attorney before letting his son make any statements.
Old 06-28-19, 04:36 AM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You must have grown up with a different legal system than we have here in the United States.
Old 06-28-19, 04:59 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
You must have grown up with a different legal system than we have here in the United States.

Thought the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-19, 05:35 AM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
When will this ever end?
When teenage boys stop doing stupid stuff.

Last edited by chs1971; 06-29-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 07:13 AM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
I know that any staff member would have a duty to report any of these type of allegations, etc. Not so sure what the law says with regard to students/athletes, aka, minors. But wrong is wrong, and witnessing something wrong and staying silent is also wrong. Silence is often seen as implied approval, consent. Have there been any further updates into what allegedly happened? I'm also not quite following how this situation has anything to do with "politics"?
Old 06-28-19, 08:43 AM
Junior Varsity

I live under the same legal system as everyone else. This is directly from the Ohio Revised Code.

2921.22 Failure to report a crime or knowledge of a death or burn injury.
(A)

(1) Except as provided in division (A)(2) of this section, no person, knowing that a felony has been or is being committed, shall knowingly fail to report such information to law enforcement authorities.

(I) Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of failure to report a crime. Violation of division (A)(1) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.22

If this was a sex crime, as reported by the media, it is a felony. It is Ohio law that you must report a felony to law enforcement.

I have also reviewed several schools code of conduct in the past. This is in every school's code. It may be worded slightly different, but it is in there.

This law has been enforced in the past. Several years ago there was a school shooting incident in Ohio. The shooter had showed the gun to other students earlier in the day. The students who had seen the gun were all charged with failing to report a crime, since have a gun at school is a felony.
Old 06-28-19, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I live under the same legal system as everyone else. This is directly from the Ohio Revised Code.

(A)

(1) Except as provided in division (A)(2) of this section, no person, knowing that a felony has been or is being committed, shall knowingly fail to report such information to law enforcement authorities.

(I) Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of failure to report a crime. Violation of division (A)(1) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

If this was a sex crime, as reported by the media, it is a felony. It is Ohio law that you must report a felony to law enforcement.

I have also reviewed several schools code of conduct in the past. This is in every school's code. It may be worded slightly different, but it is in there.

This law has been enforced in the past. Several years ago there was a school shooting incident in Ohio. The shooter had showed the gun to other students earlier in the day. The students who had seen the gun were all charged with failing to report a crime, since have a gun at school is a felony.
Technically true apparently. Thanks for the info. Though it is very common to not report a crime in general, including ones committed against yourself, and probably only gets prosecuted in extremely negligent cases like you just described.

I do think an assault or abuse concerning a minor falls into that category.

(and thanks for proving my point Moedude, no further response necessary).
Old 06-28-19, 10:37 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Anyone with pertinent details about the first post in this thread, feel free to open up a new thread.

The Mods probably need to move this to that angry General Politics thread that exists elsewhere in Yappi
Old 06-28-19, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

(A)

If you are going to post the Ohio Revised Code to prove your point, then post in entirety. Minors can not be charged under this. As for school officials, yes they are required. If the students you are using as an example are 18, yes they can be charged. If not, somebody lied to you or try to manipulate the laws. In these cases where they did not commit the felony, they can not be charged as an adult unless they have reached age 18.
Old 06-28-19, 02:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
If you are going to post the Ohio Revised Code to prove your point, then post in entirety. Minors can not be charged under this. As for school officials, yes they are required. If the students you are using as an example are 18, yes they can be charged. If not, somebody lied to you or try to manipulate the laws. In these cases where they did not commit the felony, they can not be charged as an adult unless they have reached age 18.
I have read this section of the revised code several times. I can find nowhere that it states it does not apply to juveniles. Perhaps you can enlighten me with the section of the code.
Old 06-28-19, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:

(A)

Wait? Teachers/students are supposed to know which crimes are felony and which one's are not? I suppose Illegal Immigration isn't a felony because some school districts have established policy that any staff knowledgeable of such, can lose their job if they report it. Or something can happen to them. I ought to look it up.
Old 06-29-19, 09:28 AM
Junior Varsity

NEOBuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Wait? Teachers/students are supposed to know which crimes are felony and which one's are not? I suppose Illegal Immigration isn't a felony because some school districts have established policy that any staff knowledgeable of such, can lose their job if they report it. Or something can happen to them. I ought to look it up.
Look in the Ohio Revised Code. There is no crime for illegal immigration. It is nit a felony in Ohio. That is a federal law, not an Ohio felony. So failing to report illegal immigration is not a violation of the Ohio law.
Old 06-29-19, 09:31 AM
Junior Varsity

NEOBuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Where do you get the idea that juveniles cannot be charged for violating this? Juveniles are charged as juvenile delinquents for any act that would be a crime if an adult did the same act. Juveniles can be charged in juvenile court for anything an adult can be charged with.
Old 06-29-19, 01:37 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Juveniles get charged the same as adults
Old 07-01-19, 06:20 PM
All Region

Stow78alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Illegal immigration isn't a federal felony either, so no requirement to report
Old 07-01-19, 07:39 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
I would like to know how many people have been convicted of this ... my bet, not very many
Old 07-01-19, 08:08 PM
All World

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Students, no matter their age, are not mandatory reporters. The only way any of them would be charged is if they were intentionally attempting to cover up something. And even then you will find very few DA's that try to prosecute for not being a "whistle-blower"...

Any defense attorney would destroy the States case. "Knowingly" is the toughest burdens of proof to prove in court.

I'm not sure where Parent Trap studied law but I hope none of you are paying him a retainer fee.
Old 07-01-19, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

Here's the latest news. https://fox8.com/2019/07/01/i-team-s...investigation/

No one is saying much of anything yet.
Old 07-08-19, 06:56 AM
All Region

Bobby Bushay is on a distinguished road
Any new updates on this? This goes from being front and center to basically disappearing...
Old 07-08-19, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bushay View Post
Any new updates on this? This goes from being front and center to basically disappearing...
I've heard no updates on this in the last week.
Old 07-08-19, 12:31 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I've heard no updates on this in the last week.
Glad to know you are monitoring the situation. You need
Old 07-08-19, 12:35 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is a crime to not report a crime.
Only in the case of people of "power" like doctors, therapists, teachers, etc. They are called mandatory reporters. This also only includes crimes against children (which obviously hazing would qualify).

The kids themselves are not required to report a crime. That is not how our criminal justice system works. Except in those mandatory reporter professions, the government can not force you to report a crime or testify to a crime.
Old 07-08-19, 04:09 PM
All Region

ThankYouJesus is on a distinguished road
Now I understand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Only in the case of people of "power" like doctors, therapists, teachers, etc. They are called mandatory reporters. This also only includes crimes against children (which obviously hazing would qualify).

The kids themselves are not required to report a crime.
Is that how the coaching staff has survived? The student-athletes are staying silent? You would think, if the allegations are indeed true, that the staff would resign. If a coaching staff embraces / promotes a climate of "who cares about other people's kids" then high school sports have moved a long way from the original intention, which was as a supplement to classroom learning. Truly shocking parents haven't had more to say about this; do parents really want their kid playing in this type of culture?
Old 07-08-19, 05:59 PM
All District

CoachJules is on a distinguished road
Have a friend that works in the district and from what he told me, it is pretty bad. Basically similar situation that happened to Coventry's wrestling team years ago.
Old 07-09-19, 07:28 AM
All Region

Bobby Bushay is on a distinguished road
I just do not understand what they are waiting on... the season officially starts in less than 30 days. The situation is obviously not a good one but now you are punishing the kids if you remove their coaches much later than this week.

I would like to see them move forwards in some direction with either clearing the air or move on from whatever coaches they are going to in order to get the kids prepared to move on.
Old 07-09-19, 11:53 AM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
What is wrong with these coaches? I know it is hard to monitor the kids all the time, but they need to know that bad things can happen, and they need to be extra-diligent. I remember back when Wakefield took over Fitch. There was a lot of hazing that went on during two-a-days. He found out and ran the juniors and seniors into the ground. I came to practice at four o'clock and the varsity football team was at Frank Ohl doing burpees (squat thrusts) and then they would run to the Fitch practice field and do a bunch of push-ups or whatever and then run back to Frank Ohl. They were at it after we left at 6 o'clock. Needless to say, hazing disappeared from Fitch after that. I don't understand why these coaches feel the need to take kids to college campuses for these "team building" camps. They do nothing but lead to trouble in way too many instances.