Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 06-21-19, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
They count for Massillon and they count for Big Red , sorry if that offends you.
Offends me?

Nah.

But I prefer to win championships on the field, not on paper.

Any titles before the playoffs are null and void in many people's books, unles you are from Mass.......
Old 06-21-19, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Offends me?

Nah.

Any titles before the playoffs are null and void in many people's books, unles you are from Mass.......

That really isnít true. Pre-Playoff championships count. Why does the OHSAA have a section in the football pages? Iíve noticed your negative posts concerning Massillon. Why? There has to be a reason.
Old 06-21-19, 01:29 PM
All District

tucson is on a distinguished road
Here's a few playoff rematches with WBL teams that might be interesting to revisit all these years later:

Kenton vs. Norwayne
--rematch of the 2011 D-IV state title game that Norwayne won in a shootout, 48-42.

St Marys Memorial vs. Bellevue/Big Walnut/Cincinnati Wyoming
--SM has been eliminated by each of these teams at least twice in the past decades. SM is such a storied program, so to have a few teams that have been a roadblock more than once could make for an enticing rematch.

Van Wert vs. Canton Central Catholic
--rematch of the 2000 D-III title game which CCC won 27-26 in 2OT.

Wapakoneta vs. Olentangy Liberty/Piqua
--rematch of 2006 D-II playoff games. Wapak went down to Powell and came out with a 28-21 victory. Liberty is now more established and a perennial D-I contender so that likely wouldn't work out well now. After Wapak beat Liberty, they lost to Piqua's Brandon Saine-led D-III state champions (Piqua beat Pickerington Central 26-7 in the title game).

Last edited by tucson; 06-21-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHfootball3 View Post
Coldwater vs. Mooney matchup happened in the 2007 state final a couple weeks after Mooney played Big Red at Canton Fawcett.

Can you guess who won the Coldwater-Mooney game? I think Mooney had between 9-11 D1 football players that year. What a game
Yes I know. I was pulling for Western Ohio that day . You guys got very very very lucky and Mooney was hurt bad . They would have beaten Coldwater 19 ot of 20 times that year. I would love to see the red play the Cav's
Old 06-21-19, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
That really isnít true. Pre-Playoff championships count. Why does the OHSAA have a section in the football pages? Iíve noticed your negative posts concerning Massillon. Why? There has to be a reason.
I thought everyone outside of Massillon hated them?

Likely because of many of their followers touting all their state and national championships in the paper champion era.

You can count them if you like, but no one really respects the titles before the playoffs.

Now if a team continued to win then yeah, they would have some legitness to them but by not having since they went to a playoff format just tells everyone they were the envy of sportswriters but not really championship caliber.

Hope they don't get papercuts holding up their championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-19, 01:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Offends me?

Nah.

I stand corrected Big Red has won 15 total football championships counting UPI and pre AP . I should have known that. Im very proud of that fact and they all count . they counted back then and the OHSAA counts them today so there it is.
Old 06-21-19, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Likely because of many of their followers touting all their state and national championships in the paper champion era.

You can count them if you like, but no one really respects the titles before the playoffs.

Now if a team continued to win then yeah, they would have some legitness to them but by not having since they went to a playoff format just tells everyone they were the envy of sportswriters but not really championship caliber.

Massillon has whipped Big Red back in the day and there was no other team that I wanted to see Big Red beat, however Massillon has the most wins in all of Ohio and they have several national titles and state titles . They do count . Same as they do for the Youngstown area schools.
Old 06-21-19, 02:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Offends me?

Nah.

Quote:

Are you kidding? Evidently, you think high school football started in 1972? There were great teams before that? Believe me. In fact, those teams were much better than the teams that you support.
Old 06-21-19, 02:13 PM
Freshman

OHfootball3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes I know. I was pulling for Western Ohio that day . You guys got very very very lucky and Mooney was hurt bad . They would have beaten Coldwater 19 ot of 20 times that year. I would love to see the red play the Cav's
Iím not from Western Ohio. Im from Belmont County.
Old 06-21-19, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Are you kidding? Evidently, you think high school football started in 1972? There were great teams before that? Believe me. In fact, those teams were much better than the teams that you support.
Keep shuffling those paper championships.

Just make sure the ink doesn't wear off or you don't get paper cuts!
Old 06-21-19, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I stand corrected Big Red has won 15 total football championships counting UPI and pre AP . I should have known that. Im very proud of that fact and they all count . they counted back then and the OHSAA counts them today so there it is.

Not to be argumentative, the Steubenville football website lists 10 championship teams, not 15. Regardless, an excellent program.
Old 06-21-19, 02:32 PM
All District

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
Here's a few playoff rematches with WBL teams that might be interesting to revisit all these years later:

Kenton vs. Norwayne
--rematch of the 2011 D-IV state title game that Norwayne won in a shootout, 48-42.

St Marys Memorial vs. Bellevue/Big Walnut/Cincinnati Wyoming
--SM has been eliminated by each of these teams at least twice in the past decade. SM is such a storied program, so to have a few teams that have been a roadblock more than once could make for an enticing rematch.

Van Wert vs. Canton Central Catholic
--rematch of the 2000 D-III title game which CCC won 27-26 in 2OT.

Wapakoneta vs. Olentangy Liberty/Piqua
--rematch of 2006 D-II playoff games. Wapak went down to Powell and came out with a 28-21 victory. Liberty is now more established and a perennial D-I contender so that likely wouldn't work out well now. After Wapak beat Liberty, they lost to Piqua's Brandon Saine-led D-III state champions (Piqua beat Pickerington Central 26-7 in the title game).
Itís interesting to think a little over 10 years ago teams like Pickerington Central and Liberty were in the playoffs with teams like Wapak and Piqua
Old 06-21-19, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Barberton vs. Wadsworth
Barberton vs. North Canton Hoover
Hudson vs. Massillon Perry
Medina Highland vs. Lake
Wadsworth vs. Canton McKinley
Stow vs. Jackson

Last edited by frecriss; 06-21-19 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods vs Clinton Massie
Old 06-22-19, 06:40 AM
All Region

Riverman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Winton Woods vs Clinton Massie
I may be the only one in the Massie nation that would love to see this one take place,( total self serving.) moved out to Massie 20 yrs ago, But I'm a Forest Park grad of 1981 back in the Lou Cynkar days!! still keeping tabs on the Warriors ! Massie was looking for a week 2 game. last minute pick up Avon Lake D2 both needed a game only a 1 year deal. Massie may have bite off more than they can handle? Will wait and see how that turns out for us. Fair amount of turn over from last year. starting a new QB that is a only sophomore.? watched the Warriors play Little Miami last year in Hamilton. Speed kills and the Warriors have it all over the field. Massie would have trouble keeping up with that speed, but would tackle better than Little Miami. Arm tackling wasn't stopping anybody that night. Keep posting, I read and still try to keep up on the Warriors.
Old 06-22-19, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I may be the only one in the Massie nation that would love to see this one take place,( total self serving.) moved out to Massie 20 yrs ago, But I'm a Forest Park grad of 1981 back in the Lou Cynkar days!! still keeping tabs on the Warriors ! Massie was looking for a week 2 game. last minute pick up Avon Lake D2 both needed a game only a 1 year deal. Massie may have bite off more than they can handle? Will wait and see how that turns out for us. Fair amount of turn over from last year. starting a new QB that is a only sophomore.? watched the Warriors play Little Miami last year in Hamilton. Speed kills and the Warriors have it all over the field. Massie would have trouble keeping up with that speed, but would tackle better than Little Miami. Arm tackling wasn't stopping anybody that night. Keep posting, I read and still try to keep up on the Warriors.
Riverman, Im only going to be around for a little longer.
Clinton Massie posters are always suggesting that they have enough talent and a strong enough program to compete with SW Ohio heavyweights and run thru their schedule and region 16. And they created alot of buzz when the CM freshmen either beat Moeller or played them close, I dont remember. I understand they do well but I would like to see them play the Warriors on the varsity level. I know calls were made to the CM AD over the past three seasons and Massie passed on it. They will probably compete against Avon Lake but I think WW would be a different story.
Old 06-22-19, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

LTrain65
Pick North/Central vs Massillon
Pick North/Central vs McK
Reynoldsburg vs Mck
Coffman vs Massillon
PC vs Hoban
Old 06-22-19, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Newark High vs Marietta High,barnburner!
Old 06-22-19, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, the Steubenville football website lists 10 championship teams, not 15. Regardless, an excellent program.
I counted the 5 UPI titles . I do stuff like my Ohio State Buckeyes do . I count them all lol . Its all good . I was just bragging . At least you and I have plenty to be proud about. Not everyone on here does as far as our programs are concerned .
Old 06-22-19, 01:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHfootball3 View Post
Iím not from Western Ohio. Im from Belmont County.
I did not know where you were from.
Old 06-22-19, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Cinci St X vs Concord De LaSalle California
Massillon vs Don Bosco Prep New Jersey
Coldwater vs Coco Beach Florida
Steubenville Big Red vs louisville Trinity Kentucky
Mogadore vs Wheeling Central

A new version of the Herbsteit challenge at Harding Stadium in Steubenville as 2 day event
Old 06-22-19, 02:06 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
The only people who count paper titles are the teams that have them. No one else does. Weather its St Marys, Versailles, Massillon, Steubenville, etc. I don't count them.

Anyhow. Here's a few more matchups

Coldwater vs Middletown Madison
Coldwater vs Indian Hill
Coldwater vs Bellefontaine (I played against their coach when he was at West Liberty-Salem)
Fort Recovery/New Bremen vs Shadyside
Marion Local vs Kettering Alter
Parkway vs Lima Perry
Anna vs Fort Loramie (Why they haven't played before is beyond me)
Old 06-22-19, 02:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
The only people who count paper titles are the teams that have them. No one else does. Weather its St Marys, Versailles, Massillon, Steubenville, etc. I don't count them.

Anyhow. Here's a few more matchups

Coldwater vs Middletown Madison
Coldwater vs Indian Hill
Coldwater vs Bellefontaine (I played against their coach when he was at West Liberty-Salem)
Fort Recovery/New Bremen vs Shadyside
Marion Local vs Kettering Alter
Parkway vs Lima Perry
Anna vs Fort Loramie (Why they haven't played before is beyond me)
I won one on the field. I just show respect for the teams that won before we had playoffs. One of the all time best teams in all of Ohio was the 1971 Steubenville Catholic Central team who smashed everybody and beat several highly ranked teams. They were huge fast and had several D-1 college players . I think it's just respect nothing more. I respect the 1968 ohio State Buckeyes too.
Old 06-22-19, 02:52 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I won one on the field. I just show respect for the teams that won before we had playoffs. One of the all time best teams in all of Ohio was the 1971 Steubenville Catholic Central team who smashed everybody and beat several highly ranked teams. They were huge fast and had several D-1 college players . I think it's just respect nothing more. I respect the 1968 ohio State Buckeyes too.
So did I. I respect those teams I just have a problem with AP writers voting on the state champion instead of a panel of coaches or AD's or something back then. I wish the playoffs started earlier.
Old 06-22-19, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
I have 5 more games.

1-Marion Local vs Edgar Wisconsin
2-Steubenville vs Kimberly, Wisconsin
3-Paint Valley vs Poca, WV.
4-Canton McKinley vs Highlands, Ky
5-Granville vs Bowling Green, (Oh)
Old 06-22-19, 07:57 PM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Anyone vs Massillon Jackson,hotttest moms!Preferably an August date.

Last edited by Mr.wrsln2; 06-22-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 09:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I counted the 5 UPI titles . I do stuff like my Ohio State Buckeyes do . I count them all lol . Its all good . I was just bragging . At least you and I have plenty to be proud about. Not everyone on here does as far as our programs are concerned .
So can we count the titles won on the field AND the times we finished the regular season as number 1?

Fantastic

To be quite honest, College football national championships before the BCS and then the playoff doesn't impress me much at all. Many complained about the BCS, and it had its flaws, but before that the way to crown a champion was an absolute joke.

No one really respsect those HS titles before a playoff.

WIn em on the field.

The issue back then was those voting really didnt have much of a clue about the other teams all over the state. Look at how many teams finish the regular season undefeated? Many years, quite a few, and if you didnt have the name then the voters weren't going to vote for you. They didnt see highlgiths on tv, or twitter, or youtube and didnt even have much media updates at all or stats galore.
Old 06-23-19, 07:56 AM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Some old conference games I’d like to see in Northeast Ohio
Kenston vs Solon - old CVC matchup
Riverside vs Mentor- would be a huge crowd

Other matchups that would be fun
Chardon vs NDCL - same town, have never played
Kirtland vs Perry - top 2 CVC powers
Old 06-23-19, 11:02 PM
Freshman

mvillefan_11 is on a distinguished road
Coldwater/Steubenville, Minster/Wheelersburg, Kenton/Marion Local, Trotwood/Mentor, St Marys Memorial/Kirtland
Old 06-24-19, 11:11 AM
All District

pctigers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTrain65 View Post
Pick North/Central vs Massillon
Pick North/Central vs McK
Reynoldsburg vs Mck
Coffman vs Massillon
PC vs Hoban
Pick Central / McK .. PC tried this year week 3, Mck wouldn't bite .. Naperville Central tried to schedule McK week 3 .. McK wouldn't bite on that one .. so Pick Central and Naperville Central playing week 3