Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 06-19-19, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
After WW joins with Lebanon won't the ECC be a 9 team conference? That would mean 2 OOC games.

I get the loyalty of keeping the GCL on the schedule as they provided local games when you guys needed them most.
Winton Woods, Lebanon and Little Miami are joining the conference and with the subtraction of Withrow that makes 10.
Old 06-19-19, 11:05 AM
Freshman

OHfootball3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Martinsburg is an interesting place from what I know about it. It's in the far eastern panhandle of WV and is almost an outlying community of Greater DC-so I've been told. Have heard that it's drawing people in from closer to the capital for cheaper cost of living and separation from the hubbub.
I believe youíre correct in that statement. They are definitely in a class of their own compared with all other WV AAA schools. Last year they beat the number 2 team in the state like 70-6 or something close to that. Iíll still take Coldwater by a field goal in this hypothetical matchup.
Old 06-19-19, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHfootball3 View Post
Coldwater vs. Martinsburg (WV). Ohio D6 vs WV AAA (equivalent of D1 in Ohio) and most dominant program in the state. Win AAA every year.
Marion Local vs. Big Red in my opinion the MAC can hang with this D3 power. Would like to see it play out)
Minster vs. Wheeling Central Catholic (WV) (dominating small school in WV is quite different than small school football in Ohio. WCC have won countless class A titles. Would not happen if they played on the good Ohio side of the river. Minster could bring them back down to reality)
Hoban vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
Bellaire vs. Versailles (1995 DIV state final rematch)
Bellaire vs. Ironton (these teams played in some great games against each other over the years when both teams were relevant on a state level with Bellaire winning each time. Both teams should make some noise this year although neither program is what they once were.
Marion local vs Big Red????!!! I do not think you want to see that noise but I sure do . I would love to see any MAC school play the Red but then I want to see Big Red play Ignatious and St X and a few others.
Old 06-19-19, 12:29 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
At the other teams site

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Steubenville vs Louisville
Steubenville vs Toledo Central
Steubenville vs Martinsburg WVA
all away games for Big red
Old 06-19-19, 12:30 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
why not schedule Hoban then?

Quote:
Marion local vs Big Red????!!! I do not think you want to see that noise but I sure do . I would love to see any MAC school play the Red but then I want to see Big Red play Ignatious and St X and a few others.
at Hoban
Old 06-19-19, 12:58 PM
Freshman

Quote:

Coldwater defeated Clinton-Massie last season. CM then defeated Hartley. Marion Local beat D3 Chaminade-Julienne 35-7 in 2017. How is a Coldwater or MSML matchup with Big Red that farfetched? Tip tier MAC teams have proven they can play with and beat some very good programs at the D3 and D4 level. Its a different brand of football out in Mercer County. This isnt the OVAC we are talking about. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steubenville and I root for them to represent the Valley on a state level every year. However, i am familiar with the MAC and i dont count them out against anyone. Also, I would love to see Big Red play Iggy, St Eds, St X, Moeller, Elder, Hoban etc. i just dont think they could win, especially on a neutral field or as visitors. Now at Death Valley, i would give them a chance against almost anyone.

Last edited by OHfootball3; 06-19-19 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 06-19-19, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Coldwater defeated Clinton-Massie last season. CM then defeated Hartley. Marion Local beat D3 Chaminade-Julienne 35-7 in 2017. How is a Coldwater or MSML matchup with Big Red that farfetched? Tip tier MAC teams have proven they can play with and beat some very good programs at the D3 and D4 level. Its a different brand of football out in Mercer County. This isnt the OVAC we are talking about. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steubenville and I root for them to represent the Valley on a state level every year. However, i am familiar with the MAC and i dont count them out against anyone. Also, I would love to see Big Red play Iggy, St Eds, St X, Moeller, Elder, Hoban etc. i just dont think they could win, especially on a neutral field or as visitors. Now at Death Valley, i would give them a chance against almost anyone.
Yep they are a tiny school and tiny town but they must get kids from all over . I looked at the records and they get more respect in MAXPREPS than we do if you can believe it. Maybe we can set a match up in Harding stadium and see if they can handle 8 or 9 thousand fans right on top of them . I would go . Our home field gives us a 14 point lead before the game starts.
Old 06-19-19, 01:55 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Yep they are a tiny school and tiny town but they must get kids from all over . I looked at the records and they get more respect in MAXPREPS than we do if you can believe it. Maybe we can set a match up in Harding stadium and see if they can handle 8 or 9 thousand fans right on top of them . I would go . Our home field gives us a 14 point lead before the game starts.
Are you implying that those MAC schools recruit kids from all over the area? Im just having trouble with figuring out how they recruit when there are 4-5 schools all located within the same area that are all very competitive and make deep playoff runs any given year. If MSML brings in all of the best players from Mercer County then how are Coldwater, Minster, St Henry all competitive and threats to win state each year? Iíve just never understood the idea that one of these teams recruits players because that would deplete the talent at surrounding schools. However, this isnít reasonable bcuz all of those MAC teams are competitive.
Old 06-19-19, 04:09 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wrong. We'll get an occasional Celina transfer or someone will move to Coldwater from out of state or something but 99% of our players are our own students and not transfers. Marion doesn't recruit, Minster doesn't recruit, Fort Recovery doesn't recruit, and even Delphos St John's doesn't recruit. Homegrown kids playing for their hometown school. That is the MAC way. And considering our talent is on a down cycle, this matchup isn't happening anytime soon.
Old 06-19-19, 04:29 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MSML and just about every other MAC schools have more State Titles, than Steubenville, and playing against GREAT Ohio competition, Home and Away. They earned that Greater respect.
Old 06-19-19, 04:35 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Wrong. We'll get an occasional Celina transfer or someone will move to Coldwater from out of state or something but 99% of our players are our own students and not transfers. Marion doesn't recruit, Minster doesn't recruit, Fort Recovery doesn't recruit, and even Delphos St John's doesn't recruit. Homegrown kids playing for their hometown school. That is the MAC way. And considering our talent is on a down cycle, this matchup isn't happening anytime soon.
The MAC could compete and beat most D2-D7 schools. Of course they have no chance vs Kenston and Hoban but no one in those divisions have a chance against them. Hartley won two state titles because they got away from Coldwater
Old 06-19-19, 08:47 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolute BS to the umpteenth degree. Dont make accusations you cannot prove.

I know it is tough for some places to understand, but the athletes in West CEntral ohio are too proud to leave their town and schools and play elsewhere. It just does not happen much at all.
ST henry or marion local leave their schools and play for CW? Hell no.
CElina? No way. I can think of one kid, who graduated a number of years ago, who came on over to CW and did so in 7th grade, but other than that if you want to see CW's future football teams come watch the kids at the park play soccer or baseball.

There is no youth football. They may only have 50 boys per grade, but there has been times over 40 of htem go out for FB in 7th grade. They dont run off the kids early in CW with youth football or winning at all costs in JH.

Nice try though.
Old 06-20-19, 05:03 AM
Junior Varsity

dhsdog06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Gotta love Steubenville arrogance. And they wonder why the rest of the state hates them. They could honestly fall off into West Virginia, I don't think the rest of us would notice.
Old 06-20-19, 05:55 AM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
9,000?
Old 06-20-19, 06:09 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Steubenville vs Toledo Central

I've always felt it would do Toledo teams good to see the energy Steubenville brings to games but only if they fire that horse back-up. It's a long drive, I'd want the reward.

That would be a hard nosed game, something TCC doesn't schedule.
Old 06-20-19, 07:30 AM
All District

Peycash12 is on a distinguished road
Canton McKinley vs Pickerington North
Akron Hoban vs Dr. Philips (Florida)
Old 06-20-19, 09:06 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Over the last 16 years I would think most people from Steubenville, Marion Local or Coldwater would agree a contest between them would be tightly contested despite what a small few may believe - every community has a village idiot who thinks their team can do no wrong. Since 2003 in a combined 48 seasons these 3 teams have:
* Only 1 losing season (ML in 2004 at 4-6)
* 40 seasons of 10 or more wins
- ML 12, Cavs 15, Steub 13
* 579-95-0 record, 85.91%
- ML 190-37-0 83.70%
- Cavs 200-29-0 87.34%
- Steub 189-29-0 86.70%
* 17 State Championships & 10 State Runner Up
- ML 8 State Champs and 3 Runner Up
- Cavs 6 State Champs and 4 Runner Up
- Steub 3 State Champs and 3 Runner Up
* Only 1 season (2004) did neither of the 3 schools at least finish as a State Runner Up or State Champ.
* Only two seasons were Steubenville & Coldwater in the same Division (DIV):
- 2007 Coldwater won state (they loss to ML 35-14 that year)
- 2008 Steubenville won state
* Over the last 16 seasons Coldwater is 11-7 vs ML (2 playoff games thus teams played two times in those years; ML won both playoff games)

If you do the Calpreps.com project a matchup it's very close:
* Steub vs ML:
- Steub 8 wins, 9 losses - combined score of 308-321 (20.53-21.40)
* Steub vs Coldwater:
- Steub 8 wins, 9 losses - combined score of 267-364 (17.80-24.27)

I don't know how good of a match this might be in the near future between Steubenville & ML/Coldwater but over the last 16 seasons it would have been a great yearly tilt. Yes, Steubenville has played some bigger schools over those years (Massillon, the team from Michigan come off the top of my head) but ML & Coldwater play in a extremely tough conference where teams know your tendencies and your personnel - there are little to no surprises. Plus, ML & Coldwater play 50% of their regular season games away. As tough as it would be for ML & Coldwater to play at Steubenville I think it would be just as tough for Steubenville to play at ML or Coldwater.
Old 06-20-19, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
Over the last 16 years I would think most people from Steubenville, Marion Local or Coldwater would agree a contest between them would be tightly contested despite what a small few may believe - every community has a village idiot who thinks their team can do no wrong. Since 2003 in a combined 48 seasons these 3 teams have:
* Only 1 losing season (ML in 2004 at 4-6)
* 40 seasons of 10 or more wins
- ML 12, Cavs 15, Steub 13
* 579-95-0 record, 85.91%
- ML 190-37-0 83.70%
- Cavs 200-29-0 87.34%
- Steub 189-29-0 86.70%
* 17 State Championships & 10 State Runner Up
- ML 8 State Champs and 3 Runner Up
- Cavs 6 State Champs and 4 Runner Up
- Steub 3 State Champs and 3 Runner Up
* Only 1 season (2004) did neither of the 3 schools at least finish as a State Runner Up or State Champ.
* Only two seasons were Steubenville & Coldwater in the same Division (DIV):
- 2007 Coldwater won state (they loss to ML 35-14 that year)
- 2008 Steubenville won state
* Over the last 16 seasons Coldwater is 11-7 vs ML (2 playoff games thus teams played two times in those years; ML won both playoff games)

If you do the Calpreps.com project a matchup it's very close:
* Steub vs ML:
- Steub 8 wins, 9 losses - combined score of 308-321 (20.53-21.40)
* Steub vs Coldwater:
- Steub 8 wins, 9 losses - combined score of 267-364 (17.80-24.27)

I don't know how good of a match this might be in the near future between Steubenville & ML/Coldwater but over the last 16 seasons it would have been a great yearly tilt. Yes, Steubenville has played some bigger schools over those years (Massillon, the team from Michigan come off the top of my head) but ML & Coldwater play in a extremely tough conference where teams know your tendencies and your personnel - there are little to no surprises. Plus, ML & Coldwater play 50% of their regular season games away. As tough as it would be for ML & Coldwater to play at Steubenville I think it would be just as tough for Steubenville to play at ML or Coldwater.
Good stuff.

As for the present and near future, This will be MSML's worst team in quite a few years, and Coldwater will be down and probably the second worst version in the last 15-20.
Old 06-20-19, 10:41 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Absolute BS to the umpteenth degree. Dont make accusations you cannot prove.

I know it is tough for some places to understand, but the athletes in West CEntral ohio are too proud to leave their town and schools and play elsewhere. It just does not happen much at all.
ST henry or marion local leave their schools and play for CW? Hell no.
CElina? No way. I can think of one kid, who graduated a number of years ago, who came on over to CW and did so in 7th grade, but other than that if you want to see CW's future football teams come watch the kids at the park play soccer or baseball.

There is no youth football. They may only have 50 boys per grade, but there has been times over 40 of htem go out for FB in 7th grade. They dont run off the kids early in CW with youth football or winning at all costs in JH.

Nice try though.
Not only do the MAC teams recruit, they cover their tracks by making the kids assume one of the half-dozen last names in the given community.
Old 06-20-19, 04:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_City_Fan View Post
MSML and just about every other MAC schools have more State Titles, than Steubenville, and playing against GREAT Ohio competition, Home and Away. They earned that Greater respect.
Newark Catholic has more state titles than we do too but we don't play them for the same reason we don't play you guys . We have played some of the best teams in all the USA at one time or another from many different states . Ill give you your due though, You sweep through the OHSAA every year in your divisions. We have 10 state titles and 7 runners up in our history and that includes Big school titles . www.rollredroll.com
Old 06-20-19, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I've always felt it would do Toledo teams good to see the energy Steubenville brings to games but only if they fire that horse back-up. It's a long drive, I'd want the reward.

That would be a hard nosed game, something TCC doesn't schedule.
TCC stole a big school state title from Big Red back in the day. I would love to see a rematch . I think the year was 62 but Ill have to check.
Old 06-20-19, 05:17 PM
Junior Varsity

Massie2022 is on a distinguished road
Would love to see Massie play Waynesville and any school from the old SCOL in the playoffs.
Old 06-20-19, 07:29 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Moeller vs. North College Hill
Old 06-20-19, 07:36 PM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
9,000?
Old 06-20-19, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Newark Catholic has more state titles than we do too but we don't play them for the same reason we don't play you guys . We have played some of the best teams in all the USA at one time or another from many different states . Ill give you your due though, You sweep through the OHSAA every year in your divisions. We have 10 state titles and 7 runners up in our history and that includes Big school titles . www.rollredroll.com
I see you are going with the paper champion approach to get your 10.
Not good enough for Massillon, not good enough for you either.

Sorry.
Old 06-21-19, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I see you are going with the paper champion approach to get your 10.
Not good enough for Massillon, not good enough for you either.

Sorry.
They count for Massillon and they count for Big Red , sorry if that offends you.
Old 06-21-19, 11:45 AM
All Ohio

Maria Stein Marion Local vs Massillon perry
Coldwater vs Louisville
Delphose St John vs Uniontown lake
Youngstown Mooney vs Coldwater for a 5 year deal
Youngstown Ursulin vs Delphos St John for a 5 year deal
Old 06-21-19, 12:16 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
Moeller vs. North College Hill
I think Moe's freshman team could probably beat NCH.
Old 06-21-19, 12:49 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Maria Stein Marion Local vs Massillon perry
Coldwater vs Louisville
Delphose St John vs Uniontown lake
Youngstown Mooney vs Coldwater for a 5 year deal
Youngstown Ursulin vs Delphos St John for a 5 year deal
Coldwater vs. Mooney matchup happened in the 2007 state final a couple weeks after Mooney played Big Red at Canton Fawcett.

Can you guess who won the Coldwater-Mooney game? I think Mooney had between 9-11 D1 football players that year. What a game
Old 06-21-19, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Coldwater vs. Mooney matchup happened in the 2007 state final a couple weeks after Mooney played Big Red at Canton Fawcett.

Can you guess who won the Coldwater-Mooney game? I think Mooney had between 9-11 D1 football players that year. What a game
Think it was like five DI players.
They also played in 2005.

Also tuYCM's starting QB/Safety who was DI was hurt and did not play.