Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-18-19, 07:19 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Winton Woods vs Highlands Ky.
Winton Woods vs Cov Cath
Winton Woods vs Colerain the most.
I doubt it will ever happen DMR but Winton Woods versus Fairfield. This used to be a very good neighborhood rivalry, first it was FF vs Forest Park for years and then it was vs WW.

It was also a streaky series with each program ripping off a few wins in a row and then losing steam and the other returning the favor.
Old 06-18-19, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I doubt it will ever happen DMR but Winton Woods versus Fairfield. This used to be a very good neighborhood rivalry, first it was FF vs Forest Park for years and then it was vs WW.

It was also a streaky series with each program ripping off a few wins in a row and then losing steam and the other returning the favor.
The series became very, very lopsided with Winton Woods beating the brakes off of Fairfield. Fairfield was really struggling as a program and Winton Woods blasted the Indians 50-0 in 2010. The Fairfield coaches accused the Warriors of running up the score and the series ended. I wouldnt mind seeing it start back up but I dont it will with the Warriors going into the ECC.
Old 06-18-19, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
In Stark I would like to see:
Jackson vs. Massillon
Perry vs. Steubenville
Hoover vs. St. V
Mckinley vs. Wadsworth

There are better games on paper but shooting for local intrigue and somewhat unique. Oddly all higher division vs. lower division.
Old 06-18-19, 09:42 AM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Never heard of them. Always like seeing us play new teams though.
We live very close to Pittsburgh so we get all the high school shows from the WPIAL and Clairton has been similar to Marion Local of Ohio . I believe they had a 60 some game winning streak a few years back . They are a small school that has shrunk over the years like many steel towns. Aliquippa is another one but they are a little bigger than Clairton.
Old 06-18-19, 09:43 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
The only problem I see is that some of the WPIAL teams you have chosen are down. They are not the powerhouse teams they have been. PCC has been down for a few years now. Woodland Hills and Clairton are no where near what they used to be. PR had some great years when they had QB Phil Jurkovec who is now at Notre Dame. They are also no where near what they were. West Allegheny and Aliquippa are still solid teams. But in your match-ups - Woodland Hills, Pine Richland, and Clairton would get rolled. The others could be decent but not great games. All IMHO.
Woodland Hills has some impressive grads with Jason Taylor and Gronk to name a few.

Is North Allegheny still a strong program?
Old 06-18-19, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The only problem I see is that some of the WPIAL teams you have chosen are down. They are not the powerhouse teams they have been. PCC has been down for a few years now. Woodland Hills and Clairton are no where near what they used to be. PR had some great years when they had QB Phil Jurkovec who is now at Notre Dame. They are also no where near what they were. West Allegheny and Aliquippa are still solid teams. But in your match-ups - Woodland Hills, Pine Richland, and Clairton would get rolled. The others could be decent but not great games. All IMHO.
Ill have to look further but if some of those teams are down then its just for a short time . I dont think Woodland hills would get rolled by very many teams though . They are usually solid every year and contend.
Old 06-18-19, 09:49 AM
All American

Quote:
The series became very, very lopsided with Winton Woods beating the brakes off of Fairfield. Fairfield was really struggling as a program and Winton Woods blasted the Indians 50-0 in 2010. The Fairfield coaches accused the Warriors of running up the score and the series ended. I wouldnt mind seeing it start back up but I dont it will with the Warriors going into the ECC.
There's been enough turnover in leadership I think that it's possible for the game to get back on the schedule for both teams if there is interest. Fairfield doesn't seem to have any standing games for weeks one and two. Usually rotate around against GWOC schools.

Most players were in diapers the last time Fairfield notched a win against the Warriors and were in Elementary the last time a game was played.

Colerain vs. Winton Woods would be some great games IMHO and would probably split close to the middle. They've had similar success against common opponents. Been great to see another public schedule the GCL and win with regularity.

DRM and others-while I am sure there is some joy in having a conference home now, do you think being independent and having to play so many privates for the past many years has helped to strengthen the program? Sure seems to from an outsiders prospective.
Old 06-18-19, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

Steubenville Big Red vs Cincinnati LaSalle
Steubenville Big Red vs Kirtland
Steubeville Big Red vs Avon Lake
Canton McKinley vs Martinsburg WVA
Dover vs Morgantown WVA
New Philly vs Parkersburg South WVA
Old 06-18-19, 11:51 AM
All District

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WW dominance of Fairfield goes as far back to when Grippa first took over. Back in the QCC days thats how WW used to end the season with the schlacking of Fairfield.
Old 06-18-19, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
DRM and others-while I am sure there is some joy in having a conference home now, do you think being independent and having to play so many privates for the past many years has helped to strengthen the program? Sure seems to from an outsiders prospective.
I said from the beginning that Winton Woods being forced to independence was a blessing for Winton Woods. It forced the Warriors to elevate the whole sports program. Football had the toughest schedule and has been very successful. 18-2 in the past two seasons playing a killer schedule. Every year everyone talks about the schedule being outrageous its normal for us. And IMO the Warriors will slide back being in the ECC. I will give it 5 years because we have the talent to win the next 3 or 4 regional titles and we will.
Old 06-18-19, 01:54 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Here are some good across state match ups Id like to see;
Steubenville Big Red vs West Allegheny
Steubenville Big Red vs Pittsburgh Central Catholic
Massillon vs Woodland Hills PA
Massillon vs Martinsburg WVA
Zanesville vs Wheeling Park
Canton McKinley vs Pine Richland PA
Coldwater vs Clairton PA
Mooney vs Aliquippa PA
For many years I wanted to see Mooney play Blackhawk from the Pa. side of the border. The Cardinals actually did play Aliquippa but it was way back in week one of the 1972 season. Mooney was coming off its first 10-0 season and they beat the Quips 19-0. The two have never played each other since.
Old 06-18-19, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Woodland Hills has some impressive grads with Jason Taylor and Gronk to name a few.

Is North Allegheny still a strong program?
They are decent, but another team that is no where near what they once were. They used to be a perennial threat to win the PA state championship. They haven't won their district in awhile.- AKA: (WPIAL).
Old 06-18-19, 02:21 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Ill have to look further but if some of those teams are down then its just for a short time . I dont think Woodland hills would get rolled by very many teams though . They are usually solid every year and contend.
Woodland Hills didn't' even make the semi-finals of their district tournament last year. They were 3-4 in the WPIAL league play and 4-6 overall. In 2017 they lost in round 1. In 2016 they lost in district semi finals. And their district tournament isn't like an Ohio Region. Their district is the same thing as their league. You must win your district then you qualify for the state tournament. Your state tournament starts week 11 with everyone's first region playoff game.

Last edited by bkmk1; 06-18-19 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 03:55 PM
Freshman

OHfootball3 is on a distinguished road
Coldwater vs. Martinsburg (WV). Ohio D6 vs WV AAA (equivalent of D1 in Ohio) and most dominant program in the state. Win AAA every year.
Marion Local vs. Big Red in my opinion the MAC can hang with this D3 power. Would like to see it play out)
Minster vs. Wheeling Central Catholic (WV) (dominating small school in WV is quite different than small school football in Ohio. WCC have won countless class A titles. Would not happen if they played on the good Ohio side of the river. Minster could bring them back down to reality)
Hoban vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
Bellaire vs. Versailles (1995 DIV state final rematch)
Bellaire vs. Ironton (these teams played in some great games against each other over the years when both teams were relevant on a state level with Bellaire winning each time. Both teams should make some noise this year although neither program is what they once were.

Last edited by OHfootball3; 06-18-19 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 06-18-19, 04:25 PM
All Region

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
In Stark I would like to see:
Jackson vs. Massillon
Perry vs. Steubenville
Hoover vs. St. V
Mckinley vs. Wadsworth

There are better games on paper but shooting for local intrigue and somewhat unique. Oddly all higher division vs. lower division.
If you had a computer program that could show you every possible potential match up in Ohio, Massillon v McKinley would be one of the ones at the very top with Dover v Phila, Troy v Piqua etc....at 100%.

Massillon v Jackson would definately be the last match up on the list at as close to 0% as possible.
Old 06-18-19, 04:42 PM
All World

hubman is on a distinguished road
Buchtel vs Any Suburban Summit county team

Outside of Woodridge last year and Lake (is Lake in Summit county) about 15 years ago I can't think of 1 suburban team from Summit county to have the cajones to play Buchtel in the last 25 years

Come on Copley, Barberton, Tallmadge, Hudson, Green, Stow step up!!

Medina and Portage county can get some too!
Old 06-18-19, 04:45 PM
All District

tucson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwestbroo View Post
Alter vs Trotwood
Could've happened last year. Might happen this fall. Only a matter of time for the regional matchups to line up.
Old 06-18-19, 06:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmythlegeng66 View Post
WW dominance of Fairfield goes as far back to when Grippa first took over. Back in the QCC days thats how WW used to end the season with the schlacking of Fairfield.
Winton Woods didn't dominate FFirfield until almost every other team in SWO was dominating them.

* Overall FF has an 8 - 9 record against WW

* FF & WW went back and forth during the Warriors first years as a school with FF winning in 1993 by a score of 42 - 0 and in 1995 43 - 21 and WW winning in 1994 12 - 0.

* WW dominated FF in 1996 - 1998 beating the Indians 51 - 14, 54 - 14 & 48 - 14.

* The Indians returned the favor winning six of the next seven games:

1999 = 35 - 14; 2000 = 24 - 7; 2001 = 12 - 8; 2002 = 14 - 39; 2003 = 34 - 31; 2004 = 33 - 19 and FF beat a very good WW team in 2005 28 - 20.

* They didn't play in 2006 but the FF program collapsed that year. In 2007 WW won 27 - 12; in 2008 WW won 28 - 6; in 2009 WW won 36 - 0 & the last game in 2010 had WW winning 53 - 6. During those years a whole bunch of GMC teams not named Colerain & a couple of GWOC teams beat FF by sores worse then WW did.

I got the stats from the Journal news sports writer Rick Cassano's excellent pamphlet titled A record of the Indians: 1934 - 2017.
Old 06-18-19, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I also heard that social media trash talking between the two teams had gotten out of hand.

It seems to me that long term rotating games between WW & FF, Princeton & Colerain makes a lot of sense. It would be top level competition that should draw a lot of interest. Even better the travel time would be minimal and you would be assured of playing Freshman & JV games.

DMR, once in the ECC will WW have two OOC games? If they do then a rotation makes a lot of sense for all involved.
Old 06-18-19, 07:19 PM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
Pine Richland made the state semis last year w/o Jurkovec and had some very good years before him with Ben Dinucci at QB. They’d compete just fine with McKinley. They’re as good as any Fed league school McK faces and it’s not like they’ve rolled through that league over the years.

PCC also would be fine matching up with anyone. They were a little down last year for one year and were still 7-4. They were extremely young and are loaded with a bunch of young D1 talent. They’ll be very good the next 2 years. Their size and depth would present Big Red trouble any year.
Old 06-18-19, 08:20 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Columbia vs. MSML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-19, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Winton Woods didn't dominate FFirfield until almost every other team in SWO was dominating them.

* FF & WW went back and forth during the Warriors first years as a school with FF winning in 1993 by a score of 42 - 0 and in 1995 43 - 21 and WW winning in 1994 12 - 0.

* WW dominated FF in 1996 - 1998 beating the Indians 51 - 14, 54 - 14 & 48 - 14.

1999 = 35 - 14; 2000 = 24 - 7; 2001 = 12 - 8; 2002 = 14 - 39; 2003 = 34 - 31; 2004 = 33 - 19 and FF beat a very good WW team in 2005 28 - 20.

* They didn't play in 2006 but the FF program collapsed that year. In 2007 WW won 27 - 12; in 2008 WW won 28 - 6; in 2009 WW won 36 - 0 & the last game in 2010 had WW winning 53 - 6. During those years a whole bunch of GMC teams not named Colerain & a couple of GWOC teams beat FF by sores worse then WW did.

I got the stats from the Journal news sports writer Rick Cassano's excellent pamphlet titled A record of the Indians: 1934 - 2017.
All of these stats are interesting but that 53-6 Winton Woods game and everything that went along with it ended that series.

Last edited by DonMagicRon; 06-18-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I also heard that social media trash talking between the two teams had gotten out of hand.

It seems to me that long term rotating games between WW & FF, Princeton & Colerain makes a lot of sense. It would be top level competition that should draw a lot of interest. Even better the travel time would be minimal and you would be assured of playing Freshman & JV games.

DMR, once in the ECC will WW have two OOC games? If they do then a rotation makes a lot of sense for all involved.
Im not sure but I hope that WW will have two OCC games once in the ECC, but I wouldnt be surprised that its only one. Whatever it is Winton Woods is going to keep the GCL on the schedule. We are going to play teams that were willing to play us. The AD and coaches arent going to forget that. I hope we keep Trotwood (because of the situation they will be in) and rotate the GCL in the 2nd OOC game. Personally I would only be interested in a home and home with Colerain from the GMC. It kinda felt like the GMC wasnt real helpful when WW struggled for games.
Old 06-19-19, 05:28 AM
All District

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Facts are facts and you are right sir. I forgot about those mid 2000's games. What my old brain could recall WW beat the hell out of them.
Old 06-19-19, 08:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
All of these stats are interesting but that 53-6 Winton Woods game and everything that went along with it ended that series.
You are correct.

As an aside that game was even worse then the score as FF got lucky and scored on the 1st or 2nd play of the 1st quarter on a long TD pass. After that it was all downhill.
Old 06-19-19, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Im not sure but I hope that WW will have two OCC games once in the ECC, but I wouldnt be surprised that its only one. Whatever it is Winton Woods is going to keep the GCL on the schedule. We are going to play teams that were willing to play us. The AD and coaches arent going to forget that. I hope we keep Trotwood (because of the situation they will be in) and rotate the GCL in the 2nd OOC game. Personally I would only be interested in a home and home with Colerain from the GMC. It kinda felt like the GMC wasnt real helpful when WW struggled for games.
After WW joins with Lebanon won't the ECC be a 9 team conference? That would mean 2 OOC games.

I get the loyalty of keeping the GCL on the schedule as they provided local games when you guys needed them most.
Old 06-19-19, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmythlegeng66 View Post
Facts are facts and you are right sir. I forgot about those mid 2000's games. What my old brain could recall WW beat the hell out of them.
No problem and the last two games in the series were real beat downs (89 - 6 combined score) and took place 10 years ago so I get that would be the impression most folks would have.
Old 06-19-19, 08:14 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Moeller (aka Mighty Moe, Big Moe) at a place called HOME. After 60 years, it's time. GBM
Old 06-19-19, 09:08 AM
All American

Quote:
Personally I would only be interested in a home and home with Colerain from the GMC. It kinda felt like the GMC wasnt real helpful when WW struggled for games.
Probably because Colerain is the only team in the GMC that could have realistically beat Winton Woods the past few years. They always seemed to prefer a Crosstown Showdown game and St. X/Lasalle.

I seem to remember Mason and Lakota West playing them maybe in the past 5 years?

I think a lot of GMC schools look for a schedule against teams that would give them a realistic chance at two (or three when they were only playing 7 conference games) wins out of conference and hope to win 4-5 games in conference to make the playoffs.

A loss against Colerain has been almost a foregone conclusion for 20 years for GMC teams in football and scheduling Winton Woods would likely would have been another loss.
Old 06-19-19, 09:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHfootball3 View Post
Coldwater vs. Martinsburg (WV). Ohio D6 vs WV AAA (equivalent of D1 in Ohio) and most dominant program in the state. Win AAA every year.
Marion Local vs. Big Red in my opinion the MAC can hang with this D3 power. Would like to see it play out)
Minster vs. Wheeling Central Catholic (WV) (dominating small school in WV is quite different than small school football in Ohio. WCC have won countless class A titles. Would not happen if they played on the good Ohio side of the river. Minster could bring them back down to reality)
Hoban vs. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
Bellaire vs. Versailles (1995 DIV state final rematch)
Bellaire vs. Ironton (these teams played in some great games against each other over the years when both teams were relevant on a state level with Bellaire winning each time. Both teams should make some noise this year although neither program is what they once were.
Martinsburg is an interesting place from what I know about it. It's in the far eastern panhandle of WV and is almost an outlying community of Greater DC-so I've been told. Have heard that it's drawing people in from closer to the capital for cheaper cost of living and separation from the hubbub.