Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 06-15-19, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

thickthinbigred is on a distinguished road
What are some great match ups that you would like to see?

Aliquippa PA vs Steubenville and or Youngstown Mooney
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-19, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

Steubenville vs Louisville
Steubenville vs Toledo Central
Steubenville vs Martinsburg WVA
Old 06-15-19, 11:04 AM
Varsity

chwestbroo is on a distinguished road
Alter vs Trotwood
Old 06-15-19, 11:21 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
St. Ed's (2018 Ohio Division I champion) vs. St. Joe's Prep (PA) (2017 and 2018 PA. 6A champion).
Mentor vs. Massillon.
Avon vs. Kenston.

Last edited by bkmk1; 06-15-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 11:34 AM
All District

TigerTailgater12 is on a distinguished road
Steubenville V. Massillon
Ignatius v. Massillon
Lassalle v. Massillon
Perry v. Steubenville
McKinley v. Winton Woods
Hoover v. Wadsworth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-19, 12:05 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Coldwater vs Celina on a yearly basis.

Coldwater vs Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger or Luers
Coldwater vs Piqua
Coldwater vs Tippecanoe
Coldwater vs Troy

Parkway vs South Adams (IN)
Fort Recovery Vs Jay County (IN) on a yearly basis
Minster vs Wapak
Minster vs St Marys
Convoy Crestview vs Van Wert
Lima Senior vs LCC (Actually happening this season)

I could go on forever.
Old 06-15-19, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickthinbigred View Post
Aliquippa PA vs Steubenville and or Youngstown Mooney

Massacre. Aliquippa is a small school. Very small.

Old 06-15-19, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Massacre. Aliquippa is a small school. Very small.

They win state almost every year and have a Pittsburgh pipe line. They can beat most all schools in Pennsylvania no matter size
Old 06-15-19, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Avon vs
- Mentor
- Solon
- Massillon
- Winton Woods
- Steubenville
Old 06-15-19, 01:53 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Coldwater vs Celina on a yearly basis.

Coldwater vs Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger or Luers
Coldwater vs Piqua
Coldwater vs Tippecanoe
Coldwater vs Troy

Parkway vs South Adams (IN)
Fort Recovery Vs Jay County (IN) on a yearly basis
Minster vs Wapak
Minster vs St Marys
Convoy Crestview vs Van Wert
Lima Senior vs LCC (Actually happening this season)

I could go on forever.
Probably be a blood bath as South Adams should be pretty decent these next two years and well Parkway is Parkway. Most years Adams Central whipped Parkway. I'd like to see Adams Central (IN) vs Convoy Crestview when both are back to full strength. They border each other and have similar success each year. Plus I have ties to both lol. Do like the Celina vs other Mercer County teams as well as Crestview vs Van Wert.
Old 06-15-19, 03:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bias View Post
Probably be a blood bath as South Adams should be pretty decent these next two years and well Parkway is Parkway. Most years Adams Central whipped Parkway. I'd like to see Adams Central (IN) vs Convoy Crestview when both are back to full strength. They border each other and have similar success each year. Plus I have ties to both lol. Do like the Celina vs other Mercer County teams as well as Crestview vs Van Wert.
Not a bad idea. Id like to see Coldwater play any of the Adams County Schools when they are at full strength as well.
Old 06-15-19, 04:12 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Athens at Wheelersburg. That would end in a big fight. At Athens it would be fine since the Scioto County probation officers wouldn’t let the Burg people leave the county.
Old 06-15-19, 04:14 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Trimble vs Ashland Kentucky. The battle of the Tomcats
Old 06-15-19, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Avon vs
- Mentor
- Solon
- Massillon
- Winton Woods
- Steubenville

Many of those proposed matchups can’t happen. Avon is in a league. Avon plays Avon Lake for one of those three open dates. What is left, one or two open slots? Not many possibilities.
Old 06-15-19, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Many of those proposed matchups can’t happen. Avon is in a league. Avon plays Avon Lake for one of those three open dates. What is left, one or two open slots? Not many possibilities.
Yep. Fortunately, Lakewood drops out of the league after this season. That will give Avon, and the other eight remaining teams in the league, a second non-league game. Some of those games will have to be in Weeks 4-10. That opens up possibilities, such as the Tigers. Good luck to the Tigers this season. See you in a couple months for the scrimmage.
Old 06-15-19, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Yep. Fortunately, Lakewood drops out of the league after this season. That will give Avon, and the other eight remaining teams in the league, a second non-league game. Some of those games will have to be in Weeks 4-10. That opens up possibilities, such as the Tigers. Good luck to the Tigers this season. See you in a couple months for the scrimmage.

Thanks. By the way, the Tigers have 4 open dates in 2020. Letís hope the two teams can get together for a regular season game.
Old 06-15-19, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
Louisville vs Big Red sounds good.Of course my favorite match up is always Connoton Valley-Sebring.
Old 06-15-19, 07:21 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Rochester Aquinas v. St Edward

AI is a pretty major school in central NY, and I'm curious how well they fare against a big school from Ohio. I'm sure St. Ed will win, but curious just how much they'd win by.

Some more cross-state matchups:

Boardman-New Castle
Girard-Hickory
Hubbard-Sharon
Cortland Lakeview-Greenville
Old 06-15-19, 08:58 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Not a bad idea. Id like to see Coldwater play any of the Adams County Schools when they are at full strength as well.
We (Adams County) wouldn't compete vs Coldwater. Coldwater athletes are just too tall for anyone to cover. A lot of 5'9 to maybe 6 on the rosters while Cavs are usually 6'2 or better. South Adams will be the best (hard to admit) these next 2 years as AC is about 3 to 4 years before decent athletes and grades with more Male enrollment. Bellmont (North Adams) is the largest school but they're struggling to get kids out at any age group. Their storied wrestling program has been way down lately and football is atrocious. The only 2 wins were in the playoffs last year. They're new coaching hire is 27-75 and longest of his 5/6 gigs is 3 years.
Old 06-15-19, 09:51 PM
All Region

John Lee Pettimore is on a distinguished road
Massillon has never played Lake or Mooney, would like to see both.
Old 06-15-19, 10:09 PM
All District

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
2017 Trotwood Madison vs 2015 St Edward. Two of the best high school teams i can think of in the past few years
Old 06-15-19, 11:51 PM
All American

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
Louisville vs Big Red sounds good.Of course my favorite match up is always Connoton Valley-Sebring.
In that same vein
Sebring vs Hundred (WV)
Old 06-16-19, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Two seasons ago the year started with a couple competitions between major Ohio and Michigan programs. I liked that start to the season.
Old 06-16-19, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Wapakoneta vs Coldwater
St Marys Memorial vs Marion Local

WBL VS MAC.
Old 06-16-19, 09:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Wapakoneta vs Coldwater
St Marys Memorial vs Marion Local

WBL VS MAC.
We already scrimmage Wapak and I think they're good in that role. If we played them in the regular season, we'd probably lose to them more than we would win so that wouldn't make much sense on our end. As far as St Marys and Marion is concerned, when Sidney leaves St Mary's schedule in 2020 (I think), that could very easily happen if there's mutual interest. That'd be a good week 1 matchup.
Old 06-16-19, 09:46 AM
Junior Varsity

dhsdog06 is on a distinguished road
For Defiance, I'd be interested in playing Bryan again. Lord knows that 20 minute road trip would be far better for us than the 1:15-1:30 to Celina, Wapak, St. Marys, or Kenton. Plus it was a highly competitive series in its day, ending in 1972 at 24-23-5 in favor of the Dogs.

But with the 9 game WBL schedule and the Napoleon rivalry that will NEVER not be played, there's just no way it can happen.

Another series around here I'd love to see: Tinora-Archbold. Never understood why those 2, as close to each other as they are and both being solid programs, never found a way to play.
Old 06-16-19, 09:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsdog06 View Post
For Defiance, I'd be interested in playing Bryan again. Lord knows that 20 minute road trip would be far better for us than the 1:15-1:30 to Celina, Wapak, St. Marys, or Kenton. Plus it was a highly competitive series in its day, ending in 1972 at 24-23-5 in favor of the Dogs.

But with the 9 game WBL schedule and the Napoleon rivalry that will NEVER not be played, there's just no way it can happen.

Another series around here I'd love to see: Tinora-Archbold. Never understood why those 2, as close to each other as they are and both being solid programs, never found a way to play.
If the WBL went to 2 non conference games, I think it'd be very beneficial for teams trying to make the playoffs and for bringing back old rivalries. Does Defiance even like being in the WBL? That travel has to get old.
Old 06-16-19, 10:03 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
If the WBL went to 2 non conference games, I think it'd be very beneficial for teams trying to make the playoffs and for bringing back old rivalries. Does Defiance even like being in the WBL? That travel has to get old.
Speaking for me and me alone, I enjoy the WBL. I'd love to have something closer to home because the travel definitely gets old, but it's a nice, stable home which has prepared us well for tournaments. Being the biggest school in our general area it's just so tough to find a home for us. There's too much bad blood with the NWOAL from back in the day to want to go back there, although we're no longer so big to make it prohibitive. So it's basically the WBL or the NLL, and I'm not sure the NLL would ever take us.

But if something that worked better ever did come up, I can honestly say, with absolutely no offense to anyone else in the league, the only teams I'd truly miss playing if we couldn't anymore would be Ottawa and Van Wert. The rest are just too tough to build any kind of real rivalry with when they're so far away.

I definitely think either a MAC style 8 game league schedule, or adding a couple of schools (I'd pick 2 from a list of Lima Senior, LCC, Bryan, and Napoleon, assuming all were on the table) would benefit everyone, especially the outliers like us and Kenton. Plus imagine the matchups it could open up week 2! Defiance-Bryan is a given. Coldwater-Celina. Crestview-VW. I like the idea of a true league champion, but it could be worth exploring.
Old 06-16-19, 10:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsdog06 View Post
Speaking for me and me alone, I enjoy the WBL. I'd love to have something closer to home because the travel definitely gets old, but it's a nice, stable home which has prepared us well for tournaments. Being the biggest school in our general area it's just so tough to find a home for us. There's too much bad blood with the NWOAL from back in the day to want to go back there, although we're no longer so big to make it prohibitive. So it's basically the WBL or the NLL, and I'm not sure the NLL would ever take us.

But if something that worked better ever did come up, I can honestly say, with absolutely no offense to anyone else in the league, the only teams I'd truly miss playing if we couldn't anymore would be Ottawa and Van Wert. The rest are just too tough to build any kind of real rivalry with when they're so far away.

I definitely think either a MAC style 8 game league schedule, or adding a couple of schools (I'd pick 2 from a list of Lima Senior, LCC, Bryan, and Napoleon, assuming all were on the table) would benefit everyone, especially the outliers like us and Kenton. Plus imagine the matchups it could open up week 2! Defiance-Bryan is a given. Coldwater-Celina. Crestview-VW. I like the idea of a true league champion, but it could be worth exploring.
I'd recommend the MAC model but if the WBL were to expand to 12, I'd Pick Lima Senior and LCC out of your choices. Bryan to Kenton would make 0 sense and I think Napoleon will eventually end up back in the NWOAL.
Old 06-16-19, 10:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Agree on the MAC model being better, also agree those 2 would be the likely choices. Really the only reason I mentioned the other 2 would be in a scenario where the league split into 2 divisions and didn't have mandatory cross overs. The kind of scenario where Defiance, Napoleon, and Bryan would never HAVE to travel all the way to Kenton. But the downside to that of course is that just doesn't feel like a league, and no matter what you have to split up Lima.

I'm just not sold on the NWOAL for either Defiance or Napoleon ever again. I know 40 years in the case of Napoleon and over 60 for Defiance is a long time for things to change, but those schools still in the league just tried too hard to force both out for either to really WANT to go back, IMO. But I will say, if Napoleon was forced to go back, whether it's because they couldn't compete in the NLL anymore, or the NLL kicked them out for being too small or something, I'd start REALLY getting interested in going back too. Napoleon as a league game with something more than just bragging rights on the line sounds amazing.

Last edited by dhsdog06; 06-16-19 at 11:00 AM.