Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 05-27-19, 10:17 AM
All World

Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Tom Bolden will continue his GMC dominance & will win the region in year 1 at LW

On this Memorial Day 2019, I want to recognize a true American, mom's apple pie, salt of the earth groesbeck Legend Tommy Bolden!!!! Last August-my prediction came true when at the end of the year Tommy skated on Colerain and went to Lakota west.
So is anyone paying attention to some things taking place at Lakota West? They won the region in track and field in the 4x100 relay-with all football players on the track. Word is they have 5 lineman who are bench pressing 300 plus pounds each. You heard it hear first-Lakota West wins the region this year and Tommys dominance of the GMC is going to continue.
Lakota West makes it to the state final 4!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-19, 12:59 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
I'll bite and agree....in part.

West wins GMC.

Final 4, winning region....not so sure of that one!
Old 05-27-19, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
On this Memorial Day 2019, I want to recognize a true American, mom's apple pie, salt of the earth groesbeck Legend Tommy Bolden!!!! Last August-my prediction came true when at the end of the year Tommy skated on Colerain and went to Lakota west.
So is anyone paying attention to some things taking place at Lakota West? They won the region in track and field in the 4x100 relay-with all football players on the track. Word is they have 5 lineman who are bench pressing 300 plus pounds each. You heard it hear first-Lakota West wins the region this year and Tommys dominance of the GMC is going to continue.
I appreciate the enthusiasm but that seems like a big stretch. LW has to win the GMC first then get thru the GCL South.
Old 05-27-19, 08:03 PM
Inactive

GLAT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GLAT
They don’t play Colerain so anything is possible.
Old 05-27-19, 08:04 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Lies. 4-6 will be a good year.
Old 05-27-19, 09:44 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Princeton trying to make a serious run at the GMC Football Title next season.
Old 05-28-19, 05:58 AM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Princeton is having a good recruiting year....but, remains to be seen if Daniels can coach them to Victories. So far...looks like Lakota West South since his arrival. Should be a fun season!
Old 05-28-19, 08:37 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
You present a good argument for winning the GMC but Final 4 might be a stretch because they still have to prove they can handle success deep into the tourney.
Old 05-28-19, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Not sure about Final 4 this season but I fully expect West to be very solid this year with a good chance of winning the league. And they will be a future powerhouse in Region 4 going forward for sure.
Old 05-28-19, 01:50 PM
All American

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
I disagree. Princeton wins the GMC IF THEY STAY HEALTHY. West is not as athletic in football as you think. Track speed is NOT football speed.
Old 05-28-19, 02:13 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
I disagree. Princeton wins the GMC IF THEY STAY HEALTHY. West is not as athletic in football as you think. Track speed is NOT football speed.
Wbat about Colerain??
Old 05-29-19, 02:18 PM
All Region

Colerain Fan is on a distinguished road
If I were Coach Cut I would post this up in the Cardinal Locker Room.

Colerain finishing 3rd in the GMC?

What the heck is everyone thinking? Am I missing something?
Old 05-29-19, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colerain Fan View Post

I agree. I'm a Viking to the core, but until some other school in the GMC actually wins the title Colerain is king. For the life of me I still don't get why there has been more interest in the GMC football over basketball when you get a different league champion every year. But this year just seems different in football, but one of these GMC schools have to step up and beat Colerain

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-19, 06:30 PM
All World

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
I'd worry more about self destruction than injuries. They may be the most talented team in the state based off recruiting rankings. That doesn't win you any games though.
Old 05-29-19, 07:40 PM
All Ohio

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
How many transfers at Princeton will be able to play all 10 games and participate in the playoffs? My kid goes to LW. Much to chagrin of other sport coaches, he is really working to change the culture at West. Don't know if they win the GMC but things are going to be different.
Old 05-29-19, 07:55 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
How many transfers at Princeton will be able to play all 10 games and participate in the playoffs? My kid goes to LW. Much to chagrin of other sport coaches, he is really working to change the culture at West. Don't know if they win the GMC but things are going to be different.

What other transfers are you talking about
Old 05-30-19, 11:46 AM
Junior Varsity

the_one_32 is on a distinguished road
Should I break the news to him about Tommy's coaching ability or let him figure it out himself?

Let's just say talent and really good assistants make up for a head coach pretending he knows what he's doing.
Old 05-30-19, 11:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colerain Fan View Post

People have been saying the same thing for the large part of the last decade. Colerain graduates a couple offensive play makers and everyone thinks they will struggle. It's amazing by now they haven't realized the program just reloads and reloads. The defense this coming season is going to be an absolute force and the skill players on offense will be REALLY REALLY good even though they are young. It's amazing that people think 2 or 3 good players can beat a great team, it doesn't happen in football.
Old 05-30-19, 06:35 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
What other transfers are you talking about
Paris and the young man transferring from Lasalle for two. Will they be eligible to play all season and in the playoffs?
Old 05-30-19, 06:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Should I break the news to him about Tommy's coaching ability or let him figure it out himself?

Let's just say talent and really good assistants make up for a head coach pretending he knows what he's doing.
So Coach Bolden is not a good coach now that he is not at Colerain? West has had talent for years. Coach Bolden is motivating the players and the school which is a huge improvement over what was going on before where nobody (including the players) had any confidence in the previous coach. They go over .500 in 2019.
Old 06-03-19, 09:34 AM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Princeton is having a good recruiting year....but, remains to be seen if Daniels can coach them to Victories. So far...looks like Lakota West South since his arrival. Should be a fun season!
I thought that only the GCL was allowed to recruit.
Old 06-05-19, 02:32 PM
All World

JBaller is on a distinguished road
Colerain is going to win the GMC again. Sycamore, Fairfield, and Mason will be 2-4 in some order. Lakota West will be duking it out with Princeton and Lakota East for 5-7 in some order. Everybody forgets the great system that Colerain has in place from their youth program to the community support, so that 4 year olds in the community no what "triple option" means. It's going to take him awhile at Lakota West because he won't have any of that.
Old 06-19-19, 06:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
So Coach Bolden is not a good coach now that he is not at Colerain? West has had talent for years. Coach Bolden is motivating the players and the school which is a huge improvement over what was going on before where nobody (including the players) had any confidence in the previous coach. They go over .500 in 2019.
I'm saying he wasn't a really good coach at Colerain either. As someone who has first hand experience dealing with Coombs AND Bolden, Tom was never close to Coach Coombs' level. Coach Bolden was often too cute on offense and if not for the immense talent he had along with his assistant coaches, he wouldn't have been nearly as successful as he was. Lets be brutally honest here, outside of the normal really good teams at X, he never actually faced a "juggernaut" Elder or Moeller team and was never really challenged in the GMC. Yet, his teams continuously under-performed in the playoffs and looked often unprepared, which is an indictment of the coach. He obviously has his good traits but with the talent he's had along with the lack of truly great teams he played outside of X, he should have won multiple state titles.

There were a TON of former players, alumni and boosters who wanted Bolden out years ago. His personality and lack of real playoff success was frustrating considering the talent.
Old 06-19-19, 09:57 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDad View Post
I thought that only the GCL was allowed to recruit.
Colerain does it like the Russian Olympics. Colerain gets them when they first start walking and they put them in the Little Cards Program.
Old 06-19-19, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
I'm saying he wasn't a really good coach at Colerain either. As someone who has first hand experience dealing with Coombs AND Bolden, Tom was never close to Coach Coombs' level. Coach Bolden was often too cute on offense and if not for the immense talent he had along with his assistant coaches, he wouldn't have been nearly as successful as he was. Lets be brutally honest here, outside of the normal really good teams at X, he never actually faced a "juggernaut" Elder or Moeller team and was never really challenged in the GMC. Yet, his teams continuously under-performed in the playoffs and looked often unprepared, which is an indictment of the coach. He obviously has his good traits but with the talent he's had along with the lack of truly great teams he played outside of X, he should have won multiple state titles.

There were a TON of former players, alumni and boosters who wanted Bolden out years ago. His personality and lack of real playoff success was frustrating considering the talent.
So...I'm a bit confused.

What real "talent" has Colerain had over the past decade? I mean, we have not been dripping DI talent...ever. It just doesn't happen. In fact, it's one of the main reasons we lost the state title game...Ed's had more top-tier talent and it wasn't even close. For example, Syncere Jones was one of the best overall players on the team and he got regularly on defense going up against a player who...wait for it...is going to MICHIGAN as a WR. Who could be upset with that? Jones did the best he could but he was no match for that kid. And that's just one example.

I think you are selling Tom a little short. He took a bunch of under-sized kids and put them in position to be incredibly successful. At the end of the day, for a school like Colerain, you simply can't measure success in State Championships...that's ignorant. You have to look at wins, league titles and playoff wins. Here are a few numbers to think about....

Overall through 12 years, Tom Bolden led Colerain to a record of 132-21, or an 86.3% winning percentage. In the regular season, he was a RIDICULOUS 110-10 (91.7%) which included a record of 85-1 in the GMC with 12 straight league titles.

Playoffs matter, you say? Ok, the Cards were 22-11 in his tenure as head coach. Measured against non-Catholic schools, Colerain was 12-3 (80%) in the playoffs. One step further….of the 11 teams that Colerain lost to, 8 of them went on to the State Final and SIX (’07 St. X, ’12 Moeller, ’13 Moeller, ’16 St. X, ’17 Pick Central, ’18 St. Edward) of those 8 teams won State Championships, including 2 each from Moeller and St. Xavier. So to recap:

• 132-21 overall record
• 22-11 Playoff record
• 12 Straight League titles with an 85-1 record
• Playoff participant 11 of 12 years
• 3x Regional runner-up (2007, 2008, 2012)
• 3x Regional Champion (2015, 2017, 2018)
• 2018 State Runner-up

I’m asking you….show me any coach at a public high school playing in Division 1 that has that kind of record in the entire state. I’ll wait.

Colerain is so incredibly successful due to a unique blend of coaches, players, community, school support, & history. The kids in the Colerain program are truly built a little differently. I believe there is a constant “us against the world” mentality that exists with these kids. The Coaches understand these kids and LOVE coaching them. That matters and the kids feed off of that.

Colerain will move on and remember….Coach Coombs hired Coach Cutright. I expect Colerain to take a step back this year, obviously, from a state runner-up finish last year but I fully expect it to be an exciting year of football in Colerain Township and come playoff time, I can guarantee you that NO ONE will want Colerain on their half of the bracket.

-CardinalsFan

Last edited by CardinalsFan; 06-19-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 11:29 AM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Well said sir. To say Bolden lacked "real playoff" success is ignorant and laughable.
Old 06-19-19, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
TBH, I’ll be happy if Bolden can just come up with some cooler uniforms/helmets to rip off.
Old 06-20-19, 09:02 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
... At the end of the day, for a school like Colerain, you simply can't measure success in State Championships...that's ignorant. ...
-CardinalsFan
That's a good thing in your small little world since Colerain only has 2 and possibly could have had 3 if they didn't have to forfeit a State Semi-Final victory for cheating.
Old 06-20-19, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
That's a good thing in your small little world since Colerain only has 2 and possibly could have had 3 if they didn't have to forfeit a State Semi-Final victory for cheating.
Colerain has one.

A Moeller guy talking about cheating...irony ladies and gentlemen...irony.

-CardinalsFan
Old 06-20-19, 05:14 PM
Varsity

22222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
So...I'm a bit confused.

What real "talent" has Colerain had over the past decade? I mean, we have not been dripping DI talent...ever. It just doesn't happen. In fact, it's one of the main reasons we lost the state title game...Ed's had more top-tier talent and it wasn't even close. For example, Syncere Jones was one of the best overall players on the team and he got regularly on defense going up against a player who...wait for it...is going to MICHIGAN as a WR. Who could be upset with that? Jones did the best he could but he was no match for that kid. And that's just one example.

I think you are selling Tom a little short. He took a bunch of under-sized kids and put them in position to be incredibly successful. At the end of the day, for a school like Colerain, you simply can't measure success in State Championships...that's ignorant. You have to look at wins, league titles and playoff wins. Here are a few numbers to think about....

Overall through 12 years, Tom Bolden led Colerain to a record of 132-21, or an 86.3% winning percentage. In the regular season, he was a RIDICULOUS 110-10 (91.7%) which included a record of 85-1 in the GMC with 12 straight league titles.

Playoffs matter, you say? Ok, the Cards were 22-11 in his tenure as head coach. Measured against non-Catholic schools, Colerain was 12-3 (80%) in the playoffs. One step further….of the 11 teams that Colerain lost to, 8 of them went on to the State Final and SIX (’07 St. X, ’12 Moeller, ’13 Moeller, ’16 St. X, ’17 Pick Central, ’18 St. Edward) of those 8 teams won State Championships, including 2 each from Moeller and St. Xavier. So to recap:

• 132-21 overall record
• 22-11 Playoff record
• 12 Straight League titles with an 85-1 record
• Playoff participant 11 of 12 years
• 3x Regional runner-up (2007, 2008, 2012)
• 3x Regional Champion (2015, 2017, 2018)
• 2018 State Runner-up

I’m asking you….show me any coach at a public high school playing in Division 1 that has that kind of record in the entire state. I’ll wait.

Colerain is so incredibly successful due to a unique blend of coaches, players, community, school support, & history. The kids in the Colerain program are truly built a little differently. I believe there is a constant “us against the world” mentality that exists with these kids. The Coaches understand these kids and LOVE coaching them. That matters and the kids feed off of that.

Colerain will move on and remember….Coach Coombs hired Coach Cutright. I expect Colerain to take a step back this year, obviously, from a state runner-up finish last year but I fully expect it to be an exciting year of football in Colerain Township and come playoff time, I can guarantee you that NO ONE will want Colerain on their half of the bracket.

-CardinalsFan
Its the system that fits the players that are playing ...