Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-10-19, 10:16 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 3,147
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Waynes Head Coach, Jay Minton - on his way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsvoice View Post
I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is no mechanism in the ORC to recall school board members.

We may not be able to recall them but we definitely can look for others to replace them come election time. We only need to replace two of them and keep Combs to create a simple majority. I donít recall who represents my ward but I will figure it out and take action. I may throw my name in the hat as well. I am well known in Huber from my 20+ years in various organizations.
  #32  
Old 05-10-19, 11:29 AM
NewJacketCity NewJacketCity is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-21-16
Posts: 294
NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately this type of move is as much the rule as it is the exception these days. The sad reality is it seems AD positions are as much politically driven as they are performance driven.

I've worked with Jay in his capacity as head football coach in the past and you won't find a more upstanding and respected coach around. Best of wishes to Jay and whatever path he chooses to go down in the future.
  #33  
Old 05-10-19, 01:18 PM
WHSisthebest WHSisthebest is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-27-15
Posts: 87
WHSisthebest is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to cast my vote against the first two school board members this Fall!! I feel TERRIBLE for Coach Minton and his family!! As much as I would understand if he washes his hands of all things HHCS-related, I still hope he stays on as head coach. Does anyone know how he's leaning about that?
  #34  
Old 05-10-19, 01:51 PM
WHS00_UD04's Avatar
WHS00_UD04 WHS00_UD04 is offline
Lets go Wayne
 
Join Date: 10-10-02
Location: Brick City
Posts: 6,603
WHS00_UD04 is on a distinguished road
Cochran and Miller both have their terms expiring this year
  #35  
Old 05-10-19, 04:54 PM
ELK Strong ELK Strong is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-08-15
Posts: 670
ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
So I haven't read anywhere that he ISN'T coming back to coach. Has that been decided yet?
  #36  
Old 05-10-19, 05:34 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
So I haven't read anywhere that he ISN'T coming back to coach. Has that been decided yet?
He was only removed from the AD position NOT as head football coach. He is currently the head football coach at Wayne.
  #37  
Old 05-10-19, 07:44 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
I'd move on.
  #38  
Old 05-10-19, 09:23 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'd move on.
He is all about the kids.... Even though I would not blame him I would be shocked if he took off this season.
  #39  
Old 05-10-19, 09:33 PM
sportsvoice sportsvoice is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-07-06
Location: Beavercreek
Posts: 541
sportsvoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
He is all about the kids.... Even though I would not blame him I would be shocked if he took off this season.
It's the wrong time of year to find a new coaching job, but I would not be surprised if he finds something else when the coaching carousel spins at the end of October. I certainly wouldn't hang around after this sort of treatment.
  #40  
Old 05-10-19, 11:39 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,687
serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
We may not be able to recall them but we definitely can look for others to replace them come election time. We only need to replace two of them and keep Combs to create a simple majority.
Youíre gonna band together with like-minded folks to boot out board members because of how they voted on an Athletic Director? That would indeed be a SIMPLE majority
  #41  
Old 05-11-19, 06:36 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,831
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Youíre gonna band together with like-minded folks to boot out board members because of how they voted on an Athletic Director? That would indeed be a SIMPLE majority
Well at least one of them is considering a run against board member uh, well, I don't know which one is mine but I'll beat him.
  #42  
Old 05-11-19, 07:57 AM
ELK Strong ELK Strong is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-08-15
Posts: 670
ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsvoice View Post
It's the wrong time of year to find a new coaching job, but I would not be surprised if he finds something else when the coaching carousel spins at the end of October. I certainly wouldn't hang around after this sort of treatment.
After reading today's DDN, I am now thinking he may not be coaching this year. I would have thought he would have already been offered a different teaching job, but hasn't. Bad new for Wayne Train
  #43  
Old 05-11-19, 09:58 AM
Publican Publican is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-04-15
Posts: 99
Publican is on a distinguished road
Does it simply come down to that they wanted him to have an administrators license and Coach Minton did not make an effort to attain one? I believe he got shafted. He should leave after this season. No coaches in the high school building is absurd. It is a blue print for disaster in the long run.
  #44  
Old 05-11-19, 08:23 PM
FBGuy FBGuy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-04
Posts: 5,891
FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
He is all about the kids.... Even though I would not blame him I would be shocked if he took off this season.
I think they are using that against him. Like he said in the paper they should have made this move months ago. They didn't do that so as to make sure he could not leave for other jobs. I have heard if he goes back to teaching he will lose almost $40,000 a year. They screwed him over in a major way. There are no other AD jobs around for him (unless he goes for the Tipp City AD job). If he wants to coach, and I am sure he does, he will have to take the teaching job. So Huber gets to keep their coach and get a new AD. Anyone want to bet that new AD hires a new coach after next season? Also how does he coach the high school football team if he is at an elementary school? Are there assistant coaches at Wayne who teach at the high school?

You better not steal our coach!!! I don't think he would want to go there. Heck they are doing the same thing to Minton as they did to Mike Schneider. Is that just what happens to the football coaches at Wayne?
  #45  
Old 05-11-19, 08:55 PM
mrsimp06 mrsimp06 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-09-11
Posts: 1,434
mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Messed up situation, I wonder if he'll consider something in Cincy? The musical chairs will be in play after next season.
  #46  
Old 05-11-19, 10:03 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
I think they are using that against him. Like he said in the paper they should have made this move months ago. They didn't do that so as to make sure he could not leave for other jobs. I have heard if he goes back to teaching he will lose almost $40,000 a year. They screwed him over in a major way. There are no other AD jobs around for him (unless he goes for the Tipp City AD job). If he wants to coach, and I am sure he does, he will have to take the teaching job. So Huber gets to keep their coach and get a new AD. Anyone want to bet that new AD hires a new coach after next season? Also how does he coach the high school football team if he is at an elementary school? Are there assistant coaches at Wayne who teach at the high school?

You better not steal our coach!!! I don't think he would want to go there. Heck they are doing the same thing to Minton as they did to Mike Schneider. Is that just what happens to the football coaches at Wayne?
Not even close to the same thing when comparing Schneider to Minton. Schneider got ran out and the community was behind that decision. Schneider had to go and they did the right decision.

The community is 100% behind Coach Minton. This is a personal vendetta against him.
  #47  
Old 05-11-19, 10:11 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
After reading today's DDN, I am now thinking he may not be coaching this year. I would have thought he would have already been offered a different teaching job, but hasn't. Bad new for Wayne Train
I have not trusted the accuracy of DDN articles for a long time now and once again there were mistakes in this one.
  #48  
Old 05-12-19, 07:27 AM
ELK Strong ELK Strong is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-08-15
Posts: 670
ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I have not trusted the accuracy of DDN articles for a long time now and once again there were mistakes in this one.
Vamps, the media will miss the context of information sometimes, but that is how I was reading it. What are you hearing? I am just shocked the Sup and school board would handle Minton this way.
  #49  
Old 05-12-19, 03:52 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Vamps, the media will miss the context of information sometimes, but that is how I was reading it. What are you hearing? I am just shocked the Sup and school board would handle Minton this way.
The Sup is gone .... done deal, new one coming in.
The board.... we will work to get them out with the exception of Combs.

What they did was terrible and that they tried to do it secretly confirms that this is a vendetta especially when one of the board member pleaded with the others not to do this stating it is now time to start healing....
  #50  
Old 05-12-19, 05:51 PM
wayne60 wayne60 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-13-10
Location: BEATING THE elks ON ESPN
Posts: 489
wayne60 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know when the next school board voting will be ?
  #51  
Old 05-12-19, 06:50 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne60 View Post
Anyone know when the next school board voting will be ?
Thursday May 23rd...
  #52  
Old 05-13-19, 06:25 AM
tmikusa tmikusa is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-11-10
Posts: 122
tmikusa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Thursday May 23rd...
hopefully there will be a big turn out of voters who vote OUT the current board members, except for one person!
  #53  
Old 05-13-19, 06:39 AM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 713
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
The Sup is gone .... done deal, new one coming in.
The board.... we will work to get them out with the exception of Combs.

What they did was terrible and that they tried to do it secretly confirms that this is a vendetta especially when one of the board member pleaded with the others not to do this stating it is now time to start healing....
I'm not trying to stir the pot and I think what happened here sucks, but Minton resigned the position, though it was forced. It is pretty standard procedure for school boards to vote to accept resignations unless it is a case where they vote not to accept a resignation so they can vote to terminate and it goes on record. I'm not really sure the board is at fault here unless you believe this is where the personal vendetta and forced resignation started. Even if they vote not to accept his resignation, he still resigned. I could see going after the board if they voted to not to renew the contract, but again it is pretty standard procedure for them to vote to accept a resignation.
  #54  
Old 05-13-19, 07:49 AM
dograt dograt is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-29-03
Location: Dayton
Posts: 790
dograt is on a distinguished road
Question for Wayne fans:
Was he a good A.D.? or just a good coach with an A.D.'s job?

I have no agenda there, just asking. From the outside looking in, it appears that the AD job there is an administrative position, and he doesn't have an administrative license. Not sure if his job description changed somewhere/sometime? or was he illegally employed as an administrator before?
  #55  
Old 05-13-19, 08:50 AM
FBGuy FBGuy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-04
Posts: 5,891
FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Not even close to the same thing when comparing Schneider to Minton. Schneider got ran out and the community was behind that decision. Schneider had to go and they did the right decision.

The community is 100% behind Coach Minton. This is a personal vendetta against him.
Well, I seriously doubt they were behind that decision. If they were, then it was a huge mistake. It is funny how easily people forget things. Where was Wayne football before Mike Schneider? You are right, they ran him out. They screwed him over and they are now screwing over Minton. So it is the same thing.

No, the Wayne community is not 100% behind Minton. You seem to live in a fantasy world. If they were, he would still be the AD and more than 100 people would have shown up for the board meeting.

I am with you that this is a vendetta. I agree Minton is getting screwed over. Don't tell us the community is 100% behind Minton though. Where are the signs in the yards? Where are the people protesting at the school board office? Where are all the former players commenting on TV? 100%? Come on man.
  #56  
Old 05-13-19, 09:07 AM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
Well, I seriously doubt they were behind that decision. If they were, then it was a huge mistake. It is funny how easily people forget things. Where was Wayne football before Mike Schneider? You are right, they ran him out. They screwed him over and they are now screwing over Minton. So it is the same thing.

No, the Wayne community is not 100% behind Minton. You seem to live in a fantasy world. If they were, he would still be the AD and more than 100 people would have shown up for the board meeting.

I am with you that this is a vendetta. I agree Minton is getting screwed over. Don't tell us the community is 100% behind Minton though. Where are the signs in the yards? Where are the people protesting at the school board office? Where are all the former players commenting on TV? 100%? Come on man.
1) the community was behind the decision to let Schneider go. Not a huge mistake.

2) Schneider did an amazing job turning the program around and he is recognized for it but he could not win in the playoffs. Wayne had good teams before Schneider but they were not consistent.... Wayne township was a cow pasture way back then.

3) I will not re-hash the events that occurred that led to Schneider leaving but it was warranted. When you have the whole senior class walking off the football field in the middle of a game in protest then you know something was going on....

4) True, 100% may not be behind Minton but there is a strong majority that is. There was more than 100 at the Board Meeting... this was done secretively as nobody new about it until it went into motion.

5) Former football players were on TV ...

6) Huber Heights is not a small community anymore so the whole signs in the yard thing really does not happen here anymore. He is still the head coach.

7) People protested at the board meeting on Tuesday and once again on Thursday when they stormed out...
  #57  
Old 05-13-19, 09:12 AM
Warpath Warpath is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-20-13
Posts: 93
Warpath is on a distinguished road
I know many people who are glad heís not AD anymore. Some are football parents and some are parents of kids not in football, basketball or Track. To say he has 100% community support is incorrect.

My understanding is he was told he needed to get his administratorís license and never did. I also think there was some back door shenanigans to get him out.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #58  
Old 05-13-19, 10:08 AM
Bull_Elk Bull_Elk is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-14
Posts: 218
Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
1) the community was behind the decision to let Schneider go. Not a huge mistake.

2) Schneider did an amazing job turning the program around and he is recognized for it but he could not win in the playoffs. Wayne had good teams before Schneider but they were not consistent.... Wayne township was a cow pasture way back then.

3) I will not re-hash the events that occurred that led to Schneider leaving but it was warranted. When you have the whole senior class walking off the football field in the middle of a game in protest then you know something was going on....

4) True, 100% may not be behind Minton but there is a strong majority that is. There was more than 100 at the Board Meeting... this was done secretively as nobody new about it until it went into motion.

5) Former football players were on TV ...

6) Huber Heights is not a small community anymore so the whole signs in the yard thing really does not happen here anymore. He is still the head coach.

7) People protested at the board meeting on Tuesday and once again on Thursday when they stormed out...
We know Jay is currently still the head football coach, but I do not believe the board has officially approved this appointment for the 2019/20 school year. Correct me if I am wrong. Normally this would just be a formality, but not sure for the upcoming school year.
  #59  
Old 05-13-19, 10:16 AM
southpaw69 southpaw69 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-27-08
Posts: 586
southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
If he is going to still be a P.E. teacher then I don't see that there will be any issue with him being the HC. If he is retired and no longer teaching or in an admin position then he could easily be pushed out the door completely.
  #60  
Old 05-13-19, 10:54 AM
FBGuy FBGuy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-04
Posts: 5,891
FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
I know many people who are glad heís not AD anymore. Some are football parents and some are parents of kids not in football, basketball or Track. To say he has 100% community support is incorrect.

My understanding is he was told he needed to get his administratorís license and never did. I also think there was some back door shenanigans to get him out.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that is interesting. This goes against what Vamps said. According to him, the 38,000 people who live in Huber are all for Minton. Are you saying he is wrong?

The thing is I am with Vamps on this. This was wrong. It was done in the backdoor way you mention. He is just very dramatic about it.

He is wrong about Mike Schneider though. Yeah, the kids were unhappy with him. He also didn't win too many playoff games. Of course, he was asking them to get good grades, try and live in the district, and maybe show up for workouts. If they didn't, he felt they shouldn't play. Oh well. Oh and he also had a completely different playoff system to deal with. Lets not let facts get in the way of a good rant though.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mount Union Head Coach at Tuscarawas County Wres. Club wrestling_fan_ Wrestling 2 06-05-19 03:41 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 18 11-28-18 10:02 AM
Fairfield High School Head Coach to coach in Under Armor All American football game. graceunder Football 0 11-29-17 01:11 PM
Any news on a New Head Football Coach to replaces Coach Bob Sax at Akron Garfield ??? IUDOGS Football 12 05-02-17 08:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.