Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-08-19, 07:14 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Waynes Head Coach, Jay Minton - on his way out!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...Pmgjp20omeYvN/
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-19, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
I would tend to agree with the quote about this is not the way to treat a long time employee, but more and more schools are going away from the head coach/ad dynamic. For the most part, I think it would be really tough to handle the duties of both jobs and do them both really well, particularly in season at a school the size of Wayne.
Old 05-08-19, 10:39 AM
All District

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
The article says resign as AD or not be renewed. That doesn't mention football.

My guess is the new super wants everyone to know who the most important employee is, she doesn't have the football history with the school.,

Personally, I'd prefer the head football coach to interact with high school students whether they played on the team or not. So, I think the job at another school is a mistake. If he isn't doing the job as AD, is it being taken care of by some other staffer? I'd do whatever it takes to keep the status quo but, I'm sure other schools would like to see him tell them to shove it.
Old 05-08-19, 11:47 AM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVTommyBoy View Post

My guess is the new super wants everyone to know who the most important employee is, she doesn't have the football history with the school.,

Personally, I'd prefer the head football coach to interact with high school students whether they played on the team or not. So, I think the job at another school is a mistake. If he isn't doing the job as AD, is it being taken care of by some other staffer? I'd do whatever it takes to keep the status quo but, I'm sure other schools would like to see him tell them to shove it.
Frankly, the Super's previous working experience was Yellow Springs. That no way can prepare you to make correct decisions early on in a community like Huber Heights.
Old 05-08-19, 12:09 PM
All District

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
Wonder what would happen if Minton resigned as football coach to keep AD position? Don't know what he makes as a coach but, even at GWOC level it can't pay all of the bills, can it?
Old 05-08-19, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
from what I heard

this is a personal vendetta rooted from the president of the union trying to make room to get his buddy a AD job at the high school. They were trying to get this done without contacting any of the other coaches at Wayne and trying to do it secretly. I was at the meeting and the board refused to take any questions or talk about it. The community of Huber Heights will not allow this kind of political corruption/bullying. Regardless of the outcome I am positive that Coach Minton will still be the head football coach at Wayne this upcoming year. Coach Minton has ALWAYS been kids first and holds high standards for the athletes at Wayne especially when it comes to GPA. It should be up to him and only him as to when he wants to resign and not be forced to it.

Last edited by vamp2syd; 05-09-19 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wonder what would happen if Minton resigned as football coach to keep AD position? Don't know what he makes as a coach but, even at GWOC level it can't pay all of the bills, can it?
Not an option.

He had turned down several higher paying positions to stay at Wayne. He is 100% loyal to Wayne and the Huber Heights Community. I would not blame him though if he is forced to look elsewhere following this upcoming season.
Old 05-08-19, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I've worked at a school where the AD was on a teacher's salary and the AD position was a supplemental contract that was renewed on a yearly basis. He was also the head basketball coach and was given a very similar choice to give up one or the other, stay the AD and not coach or go back to the classroom as a jr. high PE teacher and remain the head coach. I thought it was dumb because I thought it was doing a great job and was also a long time employee of the district and a successful coach. He's still the coach and the AD job is an administrators position. Sounds like something similar at play here and from all I've ever heard of Minton the district is lucky to have him and they better be careful what they wish for because they just might get it.
Old 05-08-19, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see how he responds. My guess is that he takes the other job and stays at Head Coach for this fall, but will be gone after this season.
Old 05-08-19, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

PrfctTimeOfDay is on a distinguished road
I thought Amy Fugate was the Union president, and that doesn't sound like her style...I could be wrong. Is there a new Union President?
Old 05-08-19, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfctTimeOfDay View Post
I thought Amy Fugate was the Union president, and that doesn't sound like her style...I could be wrong. Is there a new Union President?
I have no idea who the union president is. What was reported on the news and on line was just a fraction of what was said. I was there and heard it all and this is what was being said as to the "why" it was being done. A personal vendetta. The board would not discuss anything and left within minutes of the meeting leaving the press and the support group. This all smells very fishy to me so I have no reason not to believe what was said.
Old 05-08-19, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I have no idea who the union president is. What was reported on the news and on line was just a fraction of what was said. I was there and heard it all and this is what was being said as to the "why" it was being done. A personal vendetta. The board would not discuss anything and left within minutes of the meeting leaving the press and the support group. This all smells very fishy to me so I have no reason not to believe what was said.
Based on what you saw, do you think Minton is Wayne HC this fall?
Old 05-08-19, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Based on what you saw, do you think Minton is Wayne HC this fall?
Yes.
Old 05-09-19, 04:00 AM
All Yappi

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Taking a nice pay cut at this point must be tough . AD and HC especially football at a D-1 school is as Jim Tressel may say 'Tough Duty " .
Old 05-09-19, 11:31 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post

Letís wait and see what happens before we say Coach is on his way out.
Old 05-09-19, 07:26 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
this is a personal vendetta rooted from the president of the union trying to make room to get his buddy a AD job at the high school.
Quote:
I have no idea who the union president is.
Well, itís hard to question someone with such a firm grip on the facts
Old 05-09-19, 08:57 PM
All American

Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
The school board by a vote or 4-1 accepted Jay's resignation as AD. No comment was made as to Head Coach or teaching position.

A number of us spoke in the "Allotted" 30 minutes given to the crowd in 5 minute blocks.

I am not happy how this went down. it will take me a few days to chew on this.

Sad day in Huber Heights.

The School Board Aimed and shot itself in the foot. IMHO

Be safe all...

Hawk
Old 05-09-19, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk1959 View Post
The school board by a vote or 4-1 accepted Jay's resignation as AD. No comment was made as to Head Coach or teaching position.

A number of us spoke in the "Allotted" 30 minutes given to the crowd in 5 minute blocks.

I am not happy how this went down. it will take me a few days to chew on this.

Sad day in Huber Heights.

The School Board Aimed and shot itself in the foot. IMHO

Be safe all...

Hawk
I was there but stormed out. It was pretty much clear that no matter what anyone said or did that this was decided way before. Can you verify which board member votes no so we can get rid of the other 4.....
Old 05-09-19, 09:02 PM
Varsity

Warpath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was there but stormed out. It was pretty much clear that no matter what anyone said or did that this was decided way before. Can you verify which board member votes no so we can get rid of the other 4.....

Combs was lone no vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-19, 09:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
Combs was lone no vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, that who I thought it was but I wanted to make sure....

The time is now to get rid of the other 4.
Old 05-09-19, 09:27 PM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
A DDN news report on the board meeting:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...ko68OxKS8OD3O/
Old 05-09-19, 09:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk View Post
A DDN news report on the board meeting:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...ko68OxKS8OD3O/
That article is not totally accurate.

1) We do know that Minton was FORCED to resign. It was bullying..... simply put, resign as AD and you can keep your coaching job.... otherwise you will be fired.

2) Pay to play was well over $700 per sport and Coach Minton busted his a** over the years to get that to $400

TONY COCHREN MUST GO
KELLY BLEDSOE MUST GO
WILLIAM HARRIS MUST GO
MIKE MILLER MUST GO
Old 05-09-19, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

sportsvoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you, that who I thought it was but I wanted to make sure....

The time is now to get rid of the other 4.
I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is no mechanism in the ORC to recall school board members.
Old 05-10-19, 04:36 AM
All District

HSsportfan is on a distinguished road
Before you place all the blame on the board, you must remember that someone made the recommendation. Was it the current superintendent or did she take the hit for the new superintendent before he took office. Also have to look at other administrators. Treasurer, HS Principal, etc. all could have played a role in this.

Yes, board could have voted against the recommendation, but someone put the recommendation together!!!!
Old 05-10-19, 05:46 AM
Controller

EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
If I were Minton, I would not coach another game there
Old 05-10-19, 07:17 AM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If I were Minton, I would not coach another game there
Hopefully something better will come along for him in the future. I never met the man but his reputation and record are too stellar to get shafted like this.
Old 05-10-19, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
This never would have happened at Dayton Wayne; Huber Heights Wayne is more pretentious.
Old 05-10-19, 08:26 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, we are seeing this type of agenda-driven behavior becoming more and more common in the one-school communities. It only takes a change in Superintendent or a School Board President with an agenda to create situations like this that put a bad mark on a school community and its athletic programs. Makes it easy to "hire your friends". Good luck! Coach Minton deserves much better treatment than that!
Old 05-10-19, 08:46 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah4everything View Post
Hopefully something better will come along for him in the future. I never met the man but his reputation and record are too stellar to get shafted like this.
No one has mentioned it including Vamps but there's been Wayne folks upset and wanted Minton out for years, they've just been winning. Of course winning covers and cures everything so it appears that he's as stellar as they come but doesn't necessarily mean everything you heard or see on the surface is true. We'll see how this plays out.
Old 05-10-19, 08:59 AM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Of course winning covers and cures everything so it appears that he's as stellar as they come but doesn't necessarily mean everything you heard or see on the surface is true.
I get that, and dont' have the knowledge folks in HH community do but under his command, Wayne has had high caliber football and basketball programs and that big track invitational is one of the best in Ohio. From the outside, there's more than "just a good football program".