Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-07-19, 03:06 PM
All District

HighSchoolFB45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steubenburgh View Post
Isnít St. Maryís moving from d4 to D3? I guess they wonít struggle with depth as much as other teams moving from d4 to D3 will......
Well there are multiple reasons for that. First off, St. Maryís was just recently moved down to D4, they were in D3 in 2016. Second, St. Maryís made it to the regional finals in D3 in 2016, not too long ago and gave state runner up Trotwood all they could handle. Also, last year in D4 they made it the final 4 and lost to the eventual state champs, they didnít lose in the second round to a team that lost the very next round (though Hubbard was a good team).
Old 07-07-19, 04:11 PM
Freshman

Steubenburgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSchoolFB45 View Post
Well there are multiple reasons for that. First off, St. Maryís was just recently moved down to D4, they were in D3 in 2016. Second, St. Maryís made it to the regional finals in D3 in 2016, not too long ago and gave state runner up Trotwood all they could handle. Also, last year in D4 they made it the final 4 and lost to the eventual state champs, they didnít lose in the second round to a team that lost the very next round (though Hubbard was a good team).
Letís go back 5 years with them and Steubenville, 2 teams moving from D4 to D3. You tell me just looking at the this snapshot which team would be considered more of a contender

St. Maryís
2018 D4 Lost Wyoming in State Semiís
2017 D4 Lost in second round of the playoffs to Shelby 47-7
2016 D3 Lost to Trotwood 34-27 in regional finals
2015 D3 finished 6-4 didnít make playoffs
2014 D3 finished 5-5 didnít make playoffs

Steubenville
2018 D4 Lost to Hubbard Second round
2017 D4 15-0 Won state title
2016 D4 14-1 Lost to Hartley 24-21 State runner-up
2015 D4 13-1 Lost to Hartley 31-28 state runner-up
2014 D4 10-4 Lost to Benedictine 40-12 in state semiís

While both were in D4 they had one common opponent, Shelby in 2017. Steubenville beat Shelby 35-22 and St. Maryís Lost to them, 47-7. Outside of 2018 Steubenville has clearly outperformed them. 2016 St. Maryís didnít win a regional title, and Steubenville was state runner up in 1 division below them. All of the other years St. Maryís didnít even make the playoffs. I think itís clear Steubenville outperformed them in those years. So outside of 2018 Steubenville has outperformed St. Maryís. You mentioned recent history in previous post so thereís your recent history with a common opponent to boot. So please remind me again what makes St. Maryís so much more of a contender then Steubenville?
Old 07-07-19, 04:27 PM
All Region

erdna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Letís go back 5 years with them and Steubenville, 2 teams moving from D4 to D3. You tell me just looking at the this snapshot which team would be considered more of a contender

St. Maryís
2018 D4 Lost Wyoming in State Semiís
2015 D3 finished 6-4 didnít make playoffs
2014 D3 finished 5-5 didnít make playoffs

Steubenville
2014 D4 10-4 Lost to Benedictine 40-12 in state semiís

While both were in D4 they had one common opponent, Shelby in 2017. Steubenville beat Shelby 35-22 and St. Maryís Lost to them, 47-7. Outside of 2018 Steubenville has clearly outperformed them. 2016 St. Maryís didnít win a regional title, and Steubenville was state runner up in 1 division below them. All of the other years St. Maryís didnít even make the playoffs. I think itís clear Steubenville outperformed them in those years. So outside of 2018 Steubenville has outperformed St. Maryís. You mentioned recent history in previous post so thereís your recent history with a common opponent to boot. So please remind me again what makes St. Maryís so much more of a contender then Steubenville?
Now why would you go mess his argument up by telling the truth? These guys are hilarious.
Old 07-07-19, 04:58 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdna View Post
Now why would you go mess his argument up by telling the truth? These guys are hilarious.
Seriously, at first it was Akron East now St. Maryís.
Old 07-07-19, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wouldnít call them a favorite. I would put Kenston, SVSM, Bishop Hartley, Eastmoor, Trotwood, Alter, Wapakoneta and St. Maryís above them currently. It could change though seeing what teams bring back and how they play during the season.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-19, 05:08 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Steubenville can compete with every team mentioned without a doubt, the road may be a little tougher, but they would beat Canfield every year who won region 9 the last 2 seasons, they would win pretty easily honestly
Canfield hasnít won the region either of the last two years. They lost to St V in 2017 regional final and got blown out by Kenston second round last year. I would have to argue that Steubenville would not have easily beaten Canfield in either year. In fact last yearís Kenston game was the first time anyone ďeasilyĒ beat them in a long time.

Probably a decent indicator of the competition level would be 2017. Steubenville had a close fame with Mooney, Mooney had a close game with St V, St V had a close game with Canfield. I think the top of D4 was similar to the top of D3. D3 just had more depth- which they should.
Old 07-07-19, 06:13 PM
All District

Quote:
Let’s go back 5 years with them and Steubenville, 2 teams moving from D4 to D3. You tell me just looking at the this snapshot which team would be considered more of a contender

St. Mary’s
2018 D4 Lost Wyoming in State Semi’s
2015 D3 finished 6-4 didn’t make playoffs
2014 D3 finished 5-5 didn’t make playoffs

Steubenville
2014 D4 10-4 Lost to Benedictine 40-12 in state semi’s

While both were in D4 they had one common opponent, Shelby in 2017. Steubenville beat Shelby 35-22 and St. Mary’s Lost to them, 47-7. Outside of 2018 Steubenville has clearly outperformed them. 2016 St. Mary’s didn’t win a regional title, and Steubenville was state runner up in 1 division below them. All of the other years St. Mary’s didn’t even make the playoffs. I think it’s clear Steubenville outperformed them in those years. So outside of 2018 Steubenville has outperformed St. Mary’s. You mentioned recent history in previous post so there’s your recent history with a common opponent to boot. So please remind me again what makes St. Mary’s so much more of a contender then Steubenville?
Go back the past 5 years with Kenston. Obviously Steubenville has a much better resume. Would you then say Steubenville is more of a contender than Kenston? No, because Kenston did better LAST YEAR and brings back a lot. I don’t care about what a team did in 2016, the seniors now were freshman back then and had no impact. In 2017 it’s a little more understandable but really the year that matters most is 2018
Old 07-07-19, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
Canfield hasnít won the region either of the last two years. They lost to St V in 2017 regional final and got blown out by Kenston second round last year. I would have to argue that Steubenville would not have easily beaten Canfield in either year. In fact last yearís Kenston game was the first time anyone ďeasilyĒ beat them in a long time.

Probably a decent indicator of the competition level would be 2017. Steubenville had a close fame with Mooney, Mooney had a close game with St V, St V had a close game with Canfield. I think the top of D4 was similar to the top of D3. D3 just had more depth- which they should.

Steubenville would destroy Canfield. Stop. This is out of hand.

Old 07-07-19, 07:31 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Go back the past 5 years with Kenston. Obviously Steubenville has a much better resume. Would you then say Steubenville is more of a contender than Kenston? No, because Kenston did better LAST YEAR and brings back a lot. I don’t care about what a team did in 2016, the seniors now were freshman back then and had no impact. In 2017 it’s a little more understandable but really the year that matters most is 2018
Then if St. Mary’s is so much more of a contender than Steubenville just because of what they did last year, and 2018 matters the most then what makes SVSM a contender after the year they had last year? Heck they even lost to a D4 team which lost in the second round of the playoffs in a “weak” region.
Are you considering them to be a contender because of what they’ve done in recent years and their strong program tradition?
My point is, I think you’re writing a team off that’s been traditionally successful because of 1 year that was below their typical standards. I could see if they had been struggling for some time, but that’s not the case at all.

Last edited by Steubenburgh; 07-07-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 08:04 PM
All American

nupanther is on a distinguished road
A better comparison for Canfield and Big Red would be Boardman. In 2016/17, Steubenville won by a combined 49 points. In 2017-18 Canfield won by a combined 14 points. Canfield also lost to D4 Youngstown East last year. The same East team who lost in a scrimmage by 4Tds to Big Red (Yes, I kjow.... ONLY a scrimmage). Point being, Steubenville can hold their own in D3. Wouldn't shock me one bit if they won D3 in the next few years
People that look at 2018 as a predictor of Steubenville future, just stop. Region 13 had parity and if you had played that region out 5 times you could've had 5 champs. As long as they have Reno they have more than a punchers chance.
Old 07-07-19, 08:22 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
A better comparison for Canfield and Big Red would be Boardman. In 2016/17, Steubenville won by a combined 49 points. In 2017-18 Canfield won by a combined 14 points. Canfield also lost to D4 Youngstown East last year. The same East team who lost in a scrimmage by 4Tds to Big Red (Yes, I kjow.... ONLY a scrimmage). Point being, Steubenville can hold their own in D3. Wouldn't shock me one bit if they won D3 in the next few years
People that look at 2018 as a predictor of Steubenville future, just stop. Region 13 had parity and if you had played that region out 5 times you could've had 5 champs. As long as they have Reno they have more than a punchers chance.
Didn't Hubbard also lose to Ytown East last year?
Old 07-07-19, 09:01 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Hartley losing to Eastmoor was a pretty big upset but that’s a rivalry game. I look for Hartley to give Kenston a battle week 14. Hartley has a huge senior class.
Old 07-07-19, 09:30 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_City_Fan View Post
Didn't Hubbard also lose to Ytown East last year?
They sure did. Transitive property doesnít work in football, especially high school football. I believe Steubenville canít compete, but they shouldnít be THE favorite. There are plenty of schools that deserve it over them.
Old 07-07-19, 10:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They sure did. Transitive property doesnít work in football, especially high school football. I believe Steubenville canít compete, but they shouldnít be THE favorite. There are plenty of schools that deserve it over them.

Then why are you trying to use it on previous posts?

Going on a limb. Steubenville will be the state champs this season in division 3.

Old 07-07-19, 11:03 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Steubenville would destroy Canfield. Stop. This is out of hand.

Canfield beat Chardon by 22
Chardon Beat Perry by 1
Girard beat Perry by 9
Girard beat Hubbard by 25
Hubbard beat Steubenville by 18

An above post says that transitive property cannot be used in high school football. And he is right. How often do we see a team lose by 20 week 8 and beat that same team by 25 week 11 or 12? Point being, Steubenville is an EXCELLENT team who will fit right in with the top of D3, but to pretend they would walk all over the likes of Canfield (2017, 2018 version), is idiotic.

On another note. Kenston didn't play a competent passing team in the playoffs. At least not that I saw. If they come across a team who can play competitive defense and hit some big passes, theyíll be in for a fight. Canfield, East and Alter were all very one dimensional. Canfieldís defense allowed them to hang in the game until late in the 4th where a pair of interceptions led to the lopsided score. But I think they only completed 1 pass other than screens.

Looking at the region and knowing very little about the teams outside of my area, Iíd pick Kenston (15 or so returning starters including QB and RB), Steubenville (based on historical success) and St V (if they get in- if they win 8 games that means they are pretty damn good) as the front runners. I wouldnít count out Aurora (hard nosed and great coaching) and Chardon (return the majority of their starters). Based on Akron East and Buchtelís schedules I would say the same as St V- if they get in they are dangerous. And canít count out Canfield.

My prediction

Kenston
Steubenville
Chardon
Aurora
St V
Dover
Marlington
East

Buchtel
Canfield
Woodridge
NDCL

Donít carve me up too bad. This is a harbins prediction based on schedules, not a ranking of who I believe is best (because really itís all just a guess anyways)
Old 07-08-19, 12:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
Canfield beat Chardon by 22

Chardon Beat Perry by 1

Girard beat Perry by 9

Girard beat Hubbard by 25

Hubbard beat Steubenville by 18

An above post says that transitive property cannot be used in high school football. And he is right. How often do we see a team lose by 20 week 8 and beat that same team by 25 week 11 or 12? Point being, Steubenville is an EXCELLENT team who will fit right in with the top of D3, but to pretend they would walk all over the likes of Canfield (2017, 2018 version), is idiotic.

On another note. Kenston didn't play a competent passing team in the playoffs. At least not that I saw. If they come across a team who can play competitive defense and hit some big passes, theyíll be in for a fight. Canfield, East and Alter were all very one dimensional. Canfieldís defense allowed them to hang in the game until late in the 4th where a pair of interceptions led to the lopsided score. But I think they only completed 1 pass other than screens.

Looking at the region and knowing very little about the teams outside of my area, Iíd pick Kenston (15 or so returning starters including QB and RB), Steubenville (based on historical success) and St V (if they get in- if they win 8 games that means they are pretty damn good) as the front runners. I wouldnít count out Aurora (hard nosed and great coaching) and Chardon (return the majority of their starters). Based on Akron East and Buchtelís schedules I would say the same as St V- if they get in they are dangerous. And canít count out Canfield.

My prediction

Kenston

Steubenville

Chardon

Aurora

St V

Dover

Marlington

East

Buchtel

Canfield

Woodridge

NDCL

Donít carve me up too bad. This is a harbins prediction based on schedules, not a ranking of who I believe is best (because really itís all just a guess anyways)

Yeah transitive property doesnít work. Girard also lost to hubbard last season.

Old 07-08-19, 03:13 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Hubbard was up like 28 on Girard and Girard made a late game comeback and lost to Hubbard then Girard got revenge in the playoffs
Old 07-08-19, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Kenston
SVSM
Canfield
Trotwood-Madison
St Mary's Memorial
Hartley
Sheridan
Wapakoneta

also Akron East
What I see now.
Old 07-09-19, 08:33 AM
All World

As hinted, the wildcard for me is SVSM. If Irish get in, they have to be considered as one of favorites. I'm afraid their schedule may keep them out. As an aside, I wonder how someone like Steubenville would do with that schedule that includes 6 road games as opposed to 9 home games against schools from West Virginia?
Old 07-09-19, 10:11 AM
Varsity

westak1040 is on a distinguished road
Don’t sleep on Buchtel they are loaded with Talent this years. Also they have a couple of guys that transferred in that will help in a major way
Old 07-09-19, 03:56 PM
All World

Quote:
As hinted, the wildcard for me is SVSM. If Irish get in, they have to be considered as one of favorites. I'm afraid their schedule may keep them out. As an aside, I wonder how someone like Steubenville would do with that schedule that includes 6 road games as opposed to 9 home games against schools from West Virginia?
Theyíre blessed with their schedule thatís for sure, still a couple games on there with teams like Dover and new Philadelphia arnt easy ones per say
Old 07-10-19, 09:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
They’re blessed with their schedule that’s for sure, still a couple games on there with teams like Dover and new Philadelphia arnt easy ones per say
New Philly.......of 2-11 playoff fame? Some others have received some praise, i.e. both East schools, and their playoff histories are about non-existent as well.
Old 07-10-19, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
New Philly.......of 2-11 playoff fame? Some others have received some praise, i.e. both East schools, and their playoff histories are about non-existent as well.

This started with you questioning Steubenville, whatís their playoff record?

Old 07-10-19, 10:11 AM
All World

Pretty darn good.
Old 07-10-19, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty darn good.

Ok so them playing at home or out of state really doesnít matter. They win consistently on the neutral stage weeks 12 on. Not a fan of the big red but itís just facts.

Old 07-10-19, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Phila could give Steubenville a run this year, Barron May Zemis and Jent are 3 dynamic players and Steubenville has struggled to defend great passing games at times.
Old 07-10-19, 10:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
Phila could give Steubenville a run this year, Barron May Zemis and Jent are 3 dynamic players and Steubenville has struggled to defend great passing games at times.

They struggled last season against anyone who got pressure on them. The defense wasnít up to the task to stop anyone with a solid run game. That qb is good. But when he doesnít have time he panics. Their 4-6 record last year is about right. Steubenville was up big before Philly scores on their reserves a few times and makes it not a complete blowout.

Old 07-11-19, 03:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
I think Steubenville will be better then last year, and will just try and create pressure since NP doesnít have much of a run game outside the QB unless they got someone who moved in
Old 07-11-19, 07:11 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
They struggled last season against anyone who got pressure on them. The defense wasnít up to the task to stop anyone with a solid run game. That qb is good. But when he doesnít have time he panics. Their 4-6 record last year is about right. Steubenville was up big before Philly scores on their reserves a few times and makes it not a complete blowout.

They should be getting the best defender on the team who missed all of last year with injury, he played a great game against BR in 2017, I think he is right behind May as value to the team, and yes if the line does not develop its lights out.
Old 07-11-19, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
My take on Region 9 (a very difficult region)

1-Kenston
2-SVSM
3-Canfield
4-Steubenville
5-Akron East
6-Chardon
7-Buchtel
8-Dover
9-NDCL
10-Louisville

also Aurora, Revere