Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 02-26-19, 11:34 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
North Coast League looking to add two teams for the NCL White Division for Football O

Saw this on Twitter and thought to share this if anyone on here has any connections to ADís/Coaches looking for a conference:
ďNorth Coast League (NCL) is looking for 2 schools to join their White Division for Football only, starting in the 2021-22 season.

Contact - Dave Csank, NCL President and Principal at VASJ, at dcsank@vasj.com by March 1Ē

Two schools leaving after 2018-19 school year:

Garfield Hts Trinity is leaving for Chagrin Valley Conference.

Louisville St.Thomas Aquinas is leaving for possibly the Portage Trail Conference???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 04:10 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Word is they are targeting University School as one option not sure about the other one. Surprised they are going to wait so long to add members. Aquinas and Trinity are already gone.
Old 02-26-19, 05:46 PM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Would Lutheran East be an option, especially since it's football only? Or, would that be a major no-no since the NCL is a Catholic-school league?
Old 02-26-19, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Would Lutheran East be an option, especially since it's football only? Or, would that be a major no-no since the NCL is a Catholic-school league?
University isn't Catholic either.

How about Ashtabula St. John, or might they get into the NAC first?
Old 02-26-19, 08:18 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it has to be Catholics only. That really limits the field. I think both Lutheran East and St. Johns are good options.
Old 02-26-19, 08:57 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
US not coming in

Best bet, coax Holy Name and Elyria Catholic back into league. Maybe get diocese office to put some pressure on these two to come back in. Both would fit in very well again. I suspect their league is not long for them to remain in when Parma schools consolidate.
Old 02-26-19, 09:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post

Valley Christian was apart of the league for a couple seasons so the notion of catholic schools only went away

Old 02-27-19, 06:11 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Valley Christian was apart of the league for a couple seasons so the notion of catholic schools only went away

So instead of limiting the field to just catholics, are they just limiting the field to privates only? I'm not sure who the NCL is expecting to apply.

If they take the "privates only" or "catholic only" labels off the league, then University and Lutheran East make perfect sense. Western Reserve Academy in Hudson is another option, but I'm not sure if they want to jump into a league. They've been playing NCL white teams for a while now I believe.
Old 02-27-19, 06:54 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
University isn't Catholic either.

How about Ashtabula St. John, or might they get into the NAC first?
St. John is a much smaller school compared to the rest of the NCL. If they tried to get into a league, I would guess the NAC.
Old 02-27-19, 09:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
So instead of limiting the field to just catholics, are they just limiting the field to privates only? I'm not sure who the NCL is expecting to apply.

If they take the "privates only" or "catholic only" labels off the league, then University and Lutheran East make perfect sense. Western Reserve Academy in Hudson is another option, but I'm not sure if they want to jump into a league. They've been playing NCL white teams for a while now I believe.

I believe WRA would have to apply for membership to the OHSAA in order to play in the NCL, and have some effect on the Harbin points but donít quote me on that. Probably the exception would be looking at the Lake Effect Conference where Andrews Osborne plays in for all sports offered minus football.

Old 02-27-19, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I believe WRA would have to apply for membership to the OHSAA in order to play in the NCL, and have some effect on the Harbin points but don’t quote me on that. Probably the exception would be looking at the Lake Effect Conference where Andrews Osborne plays in for all sports offered minus football.

I forgot WRA isnt an OHSAA member and they dont get harbins. From a purely football standpoint, they would be a logical fit.

Another team worth mentioning (with or without the catholic debate) is Hawken. They've been trying to get out of the CVC for years (although they have been very weak football wise recently).

Not sure what other options the NCL has. Are there any smaller privates in the area that are currently or may be looking for a conference??
Old 02-27-19, 11:10 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
The "football only" proposal negates any team that is currently in a conference.

Independents that might work in the white division:
University School
Lutheran East
Ash. St. John
Ursuline
or you could realign the divisions and add to the blue:
Mooney
SVSM
Old 02-27-19, 11:19 AM
All District

My wish for football only.
3 divisions of 4 like BB.
Schedule: 3 divisional games, 2 cross over games and 5 non-conference games.

RED
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
SVSM
WHITE
Mooney
NDCL
Padua
Walsh
BLUE
Clev. CC
Gilmore
JFK
VASJ
Old 02-27-19, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post

RED
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
SVSM
WHITE
Mooney
NDCL
Padua
Walsh
BLUE
Clev. CC
Gilmore
JFK
VASJ
Those divisions are crazy spread out geographically. Makes sense from an enrollment and competitive perspective, but that travel is brutal.
Old 02-27-19, 11:50 AM
All District

Quote:
Those divisions are crazy spread out geographically. Makes sense from an enrollment and competitive perspective, but that travel is brutal.
Not really.
Red: SVSM takes the place of Walsh. No major change in travel.
White: You travel to Mooney every other year. Mooney comes west one time, one year, two times the next.
Blue: No new teams, same travel as previous years.
Old 02-27-19, 12:48 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot WRA isnt an OHSAA member and they dont get harbins. From a purely football standpoint, they would be a logical fit.

Another team worth mentioning (with or without the catholic debate) is Hawken. They've been trying to get out of the CVC for years (although they have been very weak football wise recently).

Not sure what other options the NCL has. Are there any smaller privates in the area that are currently or may be looking for a conference??
Another area private smaller school is CVCA. The conference they are in is the PAC 7. Several schools within the conference would rather they not be in the conference. It seems as if it would be a natural fit with the smaller schools. I know there is a sentiment that if admitted they would pull students from the smaller Catholic schools in the area. The student population at CVCA is more Catholic than people may realize. If families are exposed to another option and have a good experience at open house they may decide to attend there.
Old 02-27-19, 12:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
Another area private smaller school is CVCA. The conference they are in is the PAC 7. Several schools within the conference would rather they not be in the conference. It seems as if it would be a natural fit with the smaller schools. I know there is a sentiment that if admitted they would pull students from the smaller Catholic schools in the area. The student population at CVCA is more Catholic than people may realize. If families are exposed to another option and have a good experience at open house they may decide to attend there.
The "football only" proposal negates any team that is currently in a conference or wants to join NCL in all sports.
Old 02-27-19, 01:01 PM
All District

fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
Why would University join the small school tier? Aren't they D3 doesn't make sense
Old 02-27-19, 03:39 PM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
In a football only scenario it wouldn't be that bad. You're only making those trips every other year.

Quote:
Old 02-27-19, 03:42 PM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
The entire reason the NCL exists is because the Catholic schools have historically been blocked from joining conferences with predominantly public schools. The Catholic schools banded together in a conference to help scheduling.

Lake Catholic would have jumped at an opportunity to join a Lake/Geauga/Eastern Cuyahoga conference.

Quote:

Old 02-27-19, 04:13 PM
All American

I believe the Crown Conference that had St.Joes, St.Edís, Lake Catholic, Padua, Cathedral Latin, Benedictine, and the now defunct St.Peter Chanel was the precursor for the North Coast League. After the CC disbanded making Edís, Joeís, Bene, and Chanel independents while Lake and Padua were the founding members of the NCL in 1984 along with Trinity, Cleveland Central Catholic, and Holy Name. It would be interesting to see the NCL rebrand itself as the Crown Conference and extend invites to these schools. St.Edward, St.Ignatius, St.Vincent-St.Mary, Ursuline, Mooney. Try reinviting Holy Name and/orElyria Catholic.
This is how it would look like.

Blue Division:
Hoban
St.Ignatius
St.Edward
Mooney
STVM

Red Division:
NDCL
Walsh Jesuit
Benedictine
Ursuline
Lake Catholic

White Division:
VASJ
CCC
Gilmour Academy
JFK
Holy Name/Elyria Catholic

Old 02-27-19, 04:19 PM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

RED
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
SVSM
WHITE
Mooney
NDCL
Padua
Walsh
BLUE
Clev. CC
Gilmore
JFK
VASJ
The NCL did away with mandatory cross over games several years ago. Blue teams dominated. Chanel may have won a few, but it was entirely one-sided.
Old 02-27-19, 04:36 PM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
RED:
Hoban
Walsh Jesuit
SVSM
Lake Catholic
Benedictine

BLUE:
Padua
NDCL
Mooney
Ursuline
Canton CC

WHITE:
Cleveland CC
Gilmore
Warren JFK
VASJ
CVCA (They will soon out grow the PTC)

Forget about St Eds and St Ignatius. Hoban is enjoying modest success, going 1-2 against them. How long will that last?

Make it a Football "Preferred" Conference. Other sports are optional. If schools want to remain in the NCL in other sports, the NCL can accommodate them. Too much travel for other sports on school nights.

No mandatory cross over games. If teams do so, games counts as an out-of-conference game. Looking at the set-up, several teams in these divisions already play teams in another division.
Old 02-27-19, 04:42 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
RED:
Hoban
Walsh Jesuit
SVSM
Lake Catholic
Benedictine

BLUE:
Padua
NDCL
Mooney
Ursuline
Canton CC

WHITE:
Cleveland CC
Gilmore
Warren JFK
VASJ
CVCA (They will soon out grow the PTC)

Forget about St Eds and St Ignatius. Hoban is enjoying modest success, going 1-2 against them. How long will that last?

Make it a Football "Preferred" Conference. Other sports are optional. If schools want to remain in the NCL in other sports, the NCL can accommodate them. Too much travel for other sports on school nights.

No mandatory cross over games. If teams do so, games counts as an out-of-conference game. Looking at the set-up, several teams in these divisions already play teams in another division.
CVCA is in the PAC-7
Old 02-27-19, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Unlikely you see a Mooney or Ursuline. They just started a conference in Ytown.

Old 02-28-19, 06:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

White Division:
VASJ
CCC
Gilmour Academy
JFK
Holy Name/Elyria Catholic

Imagine traveling over an hour and a half to play a regular season HS football game.

WOOF
Old 02-28-19, 09:14 AM
All District

Quote:
I believe the Crown Conference that had St.Joes, St.Ed’s, Lake Catholic, Padua, Cathedral Latin, Benedictine, and the now defunct St.Peter Chanel was the precursor for the North Coast League.
Benedictine was never a member of the Crown Conference. In the late 60's, St. Ignatius and Holy Name were in the West Senate; Latin and Benedictine were in the East Senate. At that time the Crown Conference was started with the original four schools being: St. Ed, St. Joe, Padua and Chanel. In the early 70's the four catholic schools left the Senate, with St. Ignatius, Holy Name and Benedictine becoming independents. That same year, Chanel left the Crown Conference and was replaced by Latin. When Latin closed in the late 70's, Lake Catholic became a member replacing Latin. The last year of the Crown Conference was the 1979-80 school year.
In 1984 the NCL was formed, with the original schools being: CCC, Holy Name, Lake Catholic, Padua, Chanel and Trinity.
Old 02-28-19, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Stop being children and bring in SVSM. Bring in CVCA if they will come. Re-align and move on.
Old 02-28-19, 11:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Benedictine was never a member of the Crown Conference. In the late 60's, St. Ignatius and Holy Name were in the West Senate; Latin and Benedictine were in the East Senate. At that time the Crown Conference was started with the original four schools being: St. Ed, St. Joe, Padua and Chanel. In the early 70's the four catholic schools left the Senate, with St. Ignatius, Holy Name and Benedictine becoming independents. That same year, Chanel left the Crown Conference and was replaced by Latin. When Latin closed in the late 70's, Lake Catholic became a member replacing Latin. The last year of the Crown Conference was the 1979-80 school year.
In 1984 the NCL was formed, with the original schools being: CCC, Holy Name, Lake Catholic, Padua, Chanel and Trinity.

I could of sworn Bene was in the Crown Conference. Oh well thanks for the insight

Old 02-28-19, 11:04 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Stop being children and bring in SVSM. Bring in CVCA if they will come. Re-align and move on.
Yes, of course, we who post her on Yappi have sooooooo much control of who's in and who's out.