Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 01-08-19, 06:40 AM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
So the Browns interviewed Kitchens yesterday and were supposed to interview McCarthy sometime this week. Now they've put their interest in McCarthy "on hold." Wonder if they've seen enough and Kitchens is theirguy, McCarthy is taking the Jets job or they no longer have interest in him? Also see where one of McDaniels preferred destinations (Packers) hired their HC yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 07:34 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
To be fair the Browns line was rated among the best in the league, particularly inside...tough lineup to crack.
That's a very good point.

Amazing how much better that line got with Mayfield back there. A guy who has a sense of pocket pressure and gets the ball out really helps.
Old 01-08-19, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

I do think that Corbett is the heir apparent to Tretter at center but Tretter did a solid job. Hope they don't just hand Corbett the job though as I remember when the Browns handed Greg Rakoczy the job and jettisoned Mike Baab.
Old 01-08-19, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Browns free agents per Cleveland.com-

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS- Unless they sign contract extensions with the Browns, these players can sign with any team once the free agency period begins March 13.

Ray-Ray Armstrong, LB

Armstrong, a seven-year veteran, signed with the Browns on Oct. 25 (Week 8) and got 26 snaps on defense and 139 on special teams. He had six tackles in nine games.

Orson Charles, TE/FB

Charles, who has played for five teams over six years, got 173 snaps on offense this season before a season-ending ankle injury in Week 13. He had three catches for 23 yards, but was often used as a blocker in the backfield.

Carl Davis, DT

Davis was used little this season, totaling just 31 defensive snaps in five games. He's a former third-round pick of the Ravens (2015).

EJ Gaines, DB

A free-agent singing last offseason, Gaines was a reserve defensive back before injuries pushed into starting roles in Weeks 5 and 6. Multiple concussions ended his season after Week 9. Gaines, who has been with three teams in four seasons, played 181 snaps on defense and had 13 tackles and one interception.

Kyle Kalis, OL

Kalis, a St. Edward grad, was signed to the Browns' practice squad on Sept. 3 and elevated to the active roster on Dec. 1 (Week 13), but did not play.

Breshad Perriman, WR

Perriman signed with the Browns on Oct. 13 (Week 6) and made multiple big plays in the final weeks of the season. The former first-round pick of the Ravens (2015) finished with 16 catches for 340 yards and two touchdowns while emerging as a deep threat.

Greg Robinson, LT

Robinson was a free agent signing last offseason and lost out on the starting left tackle spot in training camp. But the former No. 2 overall pick of the Rams (2014) started the final eight games of the season, coinciding with Gregg Williams taking over as interim head coach.

Rod Streater, WR

Streater was signed Sept. 17 (Week 3) after the Browns traded Josh Gordon. He saw just 23 snaps on offense before a broken neck ended his season. He wasn't targeted in the passing game, but had one carry for minus-11 yards.

Tyrod Taylor, QB

Tylor, signed last offseason to assume the starting quarterback role, made it through the first two-and-a-half games before suffering a concussion and opening the door for Baker Mayfield. He finished 42-of-85 for 473 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions and a passer rating of 64.5.

Earl Watford, G

Watford, signed by the Browns last offseason, was a seldom-used reserve lineman in 2018, totaling six snaps on offense.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS- The Browns must make a contract offer by March 13 or these players become unrestricted free agents.

Trevon Coley, DT

Coley, an undrafted free agent signing in 2017, started 29 of 31 Browns games over the last two seasons. He had 39 tackles (four for loss) and half a sack in 2018.

Jermaine Whitehead, DB

Whitehead was claimed off waivers on Nov. 7 (Week 10) and played in the final seven games, getting six snaps on defense and 92 on special teams. He had four tackles.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS- These players can sign an offer sheet with any team once the free agency period begins, and the Browns have seven days to match.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun, DB

Boddy-Calhoun, a preseason waiver claim by the Browns in 2016, was out of the rotation early in the season and spent time between slot and safety. He played 656 snaps on defense and another 250 on special teams. His 56 tackles were sixth-most on the team.

Juston Burris, DB

Burris was signed off the Jets' practice squad on Nov. 7 (Week 10) and played in the last four games, all on special teams. He was a fourth-round pick of the Jets in 2016.

Rashard Higgins, WR

Higgins was a fifth-round pick in 2016 before being cut in 2017 and working his way back up from the practice squad. In 2018 his 39 catches were third-most among Browns receivers. He also had four touchdowns.
Old 01-08-19, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Higgins, Perriman, Robinson and possibly Boddy-Calhoun. Meh on the others.
Old 01-08-19, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
Agreed. Would need some way to keep Perriman "hungry."
Old 01-08-19, 11:35 AM
All American

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would scratch Perriman from that list. With Landry, Callaway, and hopefully one new addition, we don't need to overpay for our 4th and 5th receivers. Only Higgins OR Perriman should be signed, and I prefer Higgins.
Old 01-08-19, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
12m12 minutes ago
More
The #Browns do not appear to have made a decision on their next head coach, but worth noting: OC Freddie Kitchens is getting strong consideration for the head job. They were making calls to people who’ve worked with him as of last night, another sign he’s right in the mix.

And Josh McDaniels is OUT as a potential candidate.
Old 01-08-19, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

Hearing the targets are: Kitchens-HC, Kevin Stefanski-OC, Todd Bowles-DC
Old 01-08-19, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So the Browns interviewed Kitchens yesterday and were supposed to interview McCarthy sometime this week. Now they've put their interest in McCarthy "on hold." Wonder if they've seen enough and Kitchens is theirguy, McCarthy is taking the Jets job or they no longer have interest in him? Also see where one of McDaniels preferred destinations (Packers) hired their HC yesterday.
Yikes! Vikes OC, the guy that helped make Kirk Cousins look like one of the most overpaid FAs of 2018....

Quote:
Those three look OK together if Freddie will still install the offense. Bull and Fox said Rappaport had Stefanski competing with Kitchens for the top job when he reported that KS was returning for a second sit-down. Bowles as a DC is an exciting upgrade, and while not seemingly a great fit as HC in NYJ, he still may help Freddie adapt to the top job if they hit it off.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-08-19 at 02:12 PM..
Old 01-08-19, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Yikes! Vikes OC, the guy that helped make Kirk Cousins look like one of the most overpaid FAs of 2018....
No, that was John Defillippo. Stefanski came in and they started actually running the ball, which made their offense look much better. It was Flip who had Cousins slinging the ball all over the place.
Old 01-08-19, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

I heard today that the Cards were interested in Freddie, but they lost their minds and hired Kingsbury off of his solid 35-40 college record.
Old 01-08-19, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That would be fine with me. I think the Browns disallowing Kitchens to interview for other jobs was a huge tell. If he wasn't in their plans, how could they do that to him? Also, what offensive-minded candidate for head coach (read: Mike McCarthy) would agree to keep Kitchens on as a condition of hire?

I think Baker Mayfield would be thrilled if this transpired the way you suggested, and Nick Chubb would be ecstatic. As for the defense, Bowles has installed both the 3-4 and the 4-3 in his career. I don't think the Browns have the skill set at linebacker to install a 3-4 as the roster sits right now and I think a 3-4 really effects Myles Garrett. I hope they stick to the 4-3.
Old 01-08-19, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And Josh McDaniels is OUT as a potential candidate.
BR, just wondering what you think: is McDaniels more radioactive to some organizations after the Indianapolis fiasco or is he just that committed to Brady and Bill?
Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
BR, just wondering what you think: is McDaniels more radioactive to some organizations after the Indianapolis fiasco or is he just that committed to Brady and Bill?
I can only speak from my personal opinion. I think he's a snake and showed his true character when he left all of the assistants he promised jobs hanging in the wind. That has to jump out at some teams.

I wouldn't be all that committed to NE. When Brady leaves, then what? What if they end up drafting a Blake Bortles to replace him?
Old 01-08-19, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Bowles will be Arians' DC in Tampa
Old 01-08-19, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That would be fine with me. I think the Browns disallowing Kitchens to interview for other jobs was a huge tell. If he wasn't in their plans, how could they do that to him? Also, what offensive-minded candidate for head coach (read: Mike McCarthy) would agree to keep Kitchens on as a condition of hire?

I think Baker Mayfield would be thrilled if this transpired the way you suggested, and Nick Chubb would be ecstatic. As for the defense, Bowles has installed both the 3-4 and the 4-3 in his career. I don't think the Browns have the skill set at linebacker to install a 3-4 as the roster sits right now and I think a 3-4 really effects Myles Garrett. I hope they stick to the 4-3.
They have to run a base 4-3. Everybody throws variants out there situationally, but they all have a base and the personnel we have says 4-3. I mean, they aren't stupid, are they ?

It's about the jimmys and joes. If you can't put the scheme in to match up with them, you're useless as a coach. Look what Kitchens did as soon as he stepped up - "What do you think your strengths are ? What do you like to do ?". That is how it should be.
Old 01-09-19, 06:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I can only speak from my personal opinion. I think he's a snake and showed his true character when he left all of the assistants he promised jobs hanging in the wind. That has to jump out at some teams.

I wouldn't be all that committed to NE. When Brady leaves, then what? What if they end up drafting a Blake Bortles to replace him?
That's why I think he's toxic. Once Garropolo was traded, he had to see the cupboard was bare beyond Brady. Despite his expressed intention to play until he's 82, Brady showed he was hitting the downside.

McDaniels sees this, too, but I think the only option available to him is New England. His agent put out a blatant appeal to the Browns saying how interested he was in the job. How'd that work out? It seems apparent to me that no one wants someone of his character running their franchise.
Old 01-09-19, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's why I think he's toxic. Once Garropolo was traded, he had to see the cupboard was bare beyond Brady. Despite his expressed intention to play until he's 82, Brady showed he was hitting the downside.

McDaniels sees this, too, but I think the only option available to him is New England. His agent put out a blatant appeal to the Browns saying how interested he was in the job. How'd that work out? It seems apparent to me that no one wants someone of his character running their franchise.
Yeah, you can definitely see that Brady's declining.

It's interesting how the Browns haven't spoken with any of these experienced guys or guys that want the job like Arians, McCarthy, McDaniels & Gase but are leaning toward trying to find the next Sean McVay. With the Lefleur & Kingsbury hires, it looks like some of the league is too.
Old 01-09-19, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

Anyone else just a little concerned that old Freddie may just be a flash in the pan?
Old 01-09-19, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah, you can definitely see that Brady's declining.

It's interesting how the Browns haven't spoken with any of these experienced guys or guys that want the job like Arians, McCarthy, McDaniels & Gase but are leaning toward trying to find the next Sean McVay. With the Lefleur & Kingsbury hires, it looks like some of the league is too.
I'm bothered by the flavor-of-the-month mentality in the NFL, too. But I'm not completely trashing it, considering the options. Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolf know McCarthy from their time in Green Bay and I find it interesting he hasn't been interviewed. Maybe they know something the rest of us don't. Gase supposedly has a secreting a-hole gene in his DNA. We know the story about McDaniels. I wouldn't have minding Arians one bit, but we know how that ended.

As it allegedly stands right now, I would take Kitchens over Stefanski. I know Tony Grossi feels like he's the de facto general manager of the Browns, but I agree with him that, if it is taking this long to hire a HC, wait awhile longer until the playoffs are over and take a look at some others with a legitimate resume'. I would rather have a Dan Campbell as HC and Kitchens as OC. Stefanski would bother me if he's the hire. Tome, it means Kitchens is gone after a year.
Old 01-09-19, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm bothered by the flavor-of-the-month mentality in the NFL, too. But I'm not completely trashing it, considering the options. Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolf know McCarthy from their time in Green Bay and I find it interesting he hasn't been interviewed. Maybe they know something the rest of us don't. Gase supposedly has a secreting a-hole gene in his DNA. We know the story about McDaniels. I wouldn't have minding Arians one bit, but we know how that ended.

As it allegedly stands right now, I would take Kitchens over Stefanski. I know Tony Grossi feels like he's the de facto general manager of the Browns, but I agree with him that, if it is taking this long to hire a HC, wait awhile longer until the playoffs are over and take a look at some others with a legitimate resume'. I would rather have a Dan Campbell as HC and Kitchens as OC. Stefanski would bother me if he's the hire. Tome, it means Kitchens is gone after a year.
I would've taken Arians over any of those other guys.

One thing to keep in mind about Dorsey, seems like prior to the draft, they had Darnold plugged in as the Browns #1 pick when Dorsey loved Mayfield all along. Nobody knew this. Wouldn't surprise me if Dorsey hires some mystery candidate, out of nowhere, at the last second.
Old 01-09-19, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Anyone else just a little concerned that old Freddie may just be a flash in the pan?
Todd Haley had an impressive resume'. Want him back?

I don't think you can discount the chemistry Kitchens and Mayfield developed. It isn't that Kitchens is some wondrous find as a play-caller. But he saw what weapons the Browns had and did a good job utilizing them, especially Mayfield's abilities. It was Dorsey who made sure Chubb saw the field after Jackson refused to use him regularly by forcing the issue and trading Hyde. That was a complete slap in the face of both Jackson and Haley, and I loved it.

What Kitchens did was instill trust in his play-calling and that confidence needs to be maintained.
Old 01-09-19, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I would've taken Arians over any of those other guys.

One thing to keep in mind about Dorsey, seems like prior to the draft, they had Darnold plugged in as the Browns #1 pick when Dorsey loved Mayfield all along. Nobody knew this. Wouldn't surprise me if Dorsey hires some mystery candidate, out of nowhere, at the last second.
I would totally agree with that if I knew that it was Dorsey's decision to make. Jimmy Haslam, Paul DePodesta and Haslam's son-in-law are half of the search committee and that scares the living hell out of me.
Old 01-09-19, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

And this scares the hell out of me...

Mary Kay Cabot

@MaryKayCabot

Could Brad Childress be returning to #Browns to help his longtime mentee Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the HC job? @footballscoop reported Tuesday he stepped down as AAF Atlanta coach. Childress as OC here? Sr off assistant?
Old 01-09-19, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And this scares the hell out of me...

Mary Kay Cabot

@MaryKayCabot

Could Brad Childress be returning to #Browns to help his longtime mentee Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the HC job? @footballscoop reported Tuesday he stepped down as AAF Atlanta coach. Childress as OC here? Sr off assistant?
Holy God....
Old 01-09-19, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Could be some fire there. Childress knows Dorsey. As a Vikings fan, I don't have bad memories of Childress. He's a competent coach and a very good offensive thinker. He would be a help to Stefanski. Stefanski is a bright guy. If he's the choice, I think he will be organized to the hilt, and Childress can help him. I wouldn't count Brad's time with the Browns against him. He had little chance for success in that toxic organization, and it's still unknown how much say-so he ever had in CLE.

That all said, I prefer the Freddie HC/Stefanski OC combo...with Gregg nowhere to be found. If they want Childress in to help Freddie/Kevin...fine.
Old 01-09-19, 10:06 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
I was leaning toward Arians ... experienced and a risk taker ... I also liked Campbell ... Kitchen scares me ... but I am not there to see him work and really know him ... just from an outside perspective he has made a really quick rise from being just a RB coach about 2 months ago ... hope it works out and he can get a good staff with some experienced coaches around him.
Old 01-09-19, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

That Shurmur-Childress combo was really...something.

I'm not the least bit upset they didn't follow through on McDaniels, McCarthy or Gase. I've never been overwhelmed by McDaniel's offense and I find him to be an arrogant little puke. McCarthy may not have been bad, but he's not a long term answer and I think his relationship with Rodgers may indicate he's a little set in his ways. I like Arians, but this team could use a guy who won't be in assisted living in the next decade.

Maybe Greg Schiano is the ace up the Browns sleeve. That worked well the last time Jimmy got behind him!
Old 01-09-19, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
I was leaning toward Arians ... experienced and a risk taker ... I also liked Campbell ... Kitchen scares me ... but I am not there to see him work and really know him ... just from an outside perspective he has made a really quick rise from being just a RB coach about 2 months ago ... hope it works out and he can get a good staff with some experienced coaches around him.
I like Campbell's background, as well. Quite frankly, there is nothing real out there indicating he is somehow out of the running. Just speculation about others. As secretive as Dorsey is, he might just come out and announce it's Campbell and stun everyone after all the Freddie talk.