Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 12-29-18, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Range should have no trouble competing. Beefing up their schedule this past season will play a big role in how they adjust to the new league. Hoping to maybe get a little rivalry going with the Raiders and my Eagles battling in week 10.

Yeah I donít think theyíll have a lot of trouble competing. I think to start they will finish around 3-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-18, 01:37 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFootball2010 View Post
I'm not sure of details about things happening. That job was posted last year correct? Anyone know anything of the HC or assistants. There has to be athletes there. That Knight kid from there walked on at Ohio State.
Ed Rankin took over at Jefferson last May following two years as Lisbon's offensive coordinator, after serving as an assistant coach at Jackson-Milton, South Range and Austintown Fitch. He brought Lisbon's legendary coach Jim Tslimos to be an assistant coach and help run the offense.

Here's a couple of articles on Rankin taking over at Jefferson:
https://www.wkbn.com/sports/local-fo...son/1183887720

http://www.starbeacon.com/sports/loc...a130fa3ef.html
Old 12-29-18, 01:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Range should have no trouble competing. Beefing up their schedule this past season will play a big role in how they adjust to the new league. Hoping to maybe get a little rivalry going with the Raiders and my Eagles battling in week 10.
As much as I hope the Raiders and Eagles have a good rivalry, I don't expect us to be anywhere near Hubbard's talent level. Hopefully we can pick off a Jefferson, Girard, Lakeview or Niles.

Really appreciate all the praise for the Raiders program on this thread. Coach Yeagley is not only a quality football coach, but he is an even better person if you get the opportunity to meet him.
Old 12-30-18, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
As much as I hope the Raiders and Eagles have a good rivalry, I don't expect us to be anywhere near Hubbard's talent level. Hopefully we can pick off a Jefferson, Girard, Lakeview or Niles.

Really appreciate all the praise for the Raiders program on this thread. Coach Yeagley is not only a quality football coach, but he is an even better person if you get the opportunity to meet him.

Are the games set in stone? Like will Range play Hubbard week 10 for the foreseeable future?

Old 12-30-18, 12:05 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Cool Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Are the games set in stone? Like will Range play Hubbard week 10 for the foreseeable future?

Who knows ???

Saw a website once and it was very generic. Not a whole lot on there.
Can't even find the site now.
A guess..... no rotation to allow for rivalries in week ten. Like Struthers vs. Poland, etc.
Perhaps they envision a nice rivalry going on between South Range and Hubbard to put that at week ten. A game like that would certainly have playoff implications for both squads.

This will be a very good league for all schools. It's already turning out okay for basketball.

We will see if Jefferson is in it for the long haul.

Old 12-30-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Who knows ???

A guess..... no rotation to allow for rivalries in week ten. Like Struthers vs. Poland, etc.

Perhaps they envision a nice rivalry going on between South Range and Hubbard to put that at week ten. A game like that would certainly have playoff implications for both squads.

This will be a very good league for all schools. It's already turning out okay for basketball.

Hubbard doesnít have a true rival in the conference. Liberty isnít here. Brookfield isnít here. Struthers has played them a lot in the history of the two teams and Poland is sort of one too.
But Struthers -Poland is a rivalry on its own. So idk

Old 12-30-18, 01:06 PM
All World

You are correct about Hubbard's traditional rivals. Both Brookfield and Liberty have seriously dropped enrollment and no longer belong on the Eagles' schedules.
Much the same as the long-standing Struthers-Campbell rivalry.

Struthers-Hubbard have played for an awfully long while.... dating back to when both teams started playing football. It's recently become a darn good rivalry and hopefully continues that way.

Hubbard-South Range hopefully becomes a very good rivalry over the years.
Especially with South Range growing and the excellent program they've developed into. They have a very good coach who will keep them right in the running with the other NE8 schools.
This should turn into a nice year ending game for both schools.
Old 12-31-18, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You are correct about Hubbard's traditional rivals. Both Brookfield and Liberty have seriously dropped enrollment and no longer belong on the Eagles' schedules.
Much the same as the long-standing Struthers-Campbell rivalry.

Struthers-Hubbard have played for an awfully long while.... dating back to when both teams started playing football. It's recently become a darn good rivalry and hopefully continues that way.

Hubbard-South Range hopefully becomes a very good rivalry over the years.
Especially with South Range growing and the excellent program they've developed into. They have a very good coach who will keep them right in the running with the other NE8 schools.
This should turn into a nice year ending game for both schools.

Lakeview - Hubbard or Hubbard- Girard would have made more sense if they were looking to make that a rivalry week. South Range has nothing in common with anyone here. Where are they even the closest to? Poland? Not sure

Old 12-31-18, 03:13 PM
All World

Yeah, Poland would be the closest of all the teams in the conference. That's something that will be exciting about this season for South Range....to see what games/schools develop into heated, competitive games. That might be developing a little during this basketball season.
Old 12-31-18, 03:54 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No doubt Raider! I think a lot of fans like myself give Range a ton of credit for the moves they're making. I already respected Yeagley for the quality of program and sustained success he's had but the decision to move into a larger conference with improved competition is a eye opener for me. Instead of finding a similar small conference the Raiders could dominate every year like they always have they upped the ante. Instead of scheduling cupcakes for one last 9-1 10-0 run they put together a schedule more impressive than any team in the AAC white faced. I can respect that. To me a competitive 4-6 vs that schedule prepares SR a lot more for the new conference than 10-0 vs weak competition. It may not be year one. Then again it could be, but I don't doubt SR will be competing for conference crowns with the top teams a lot sooner than later.
Old 12-31-18, 04:30 PM
All World

As for a clear cut rival for Hubbard. It's true that Hubbard doesn't have a clear cut rival anymore. The Brookfield Hubbard games were very heated at one time but unfortunately the Eagles outgrew the Warriors. Hubbard and Poland were the two most consistent teams of the AAC era battling for quite a few crowns so Hubbard vs Poland to me is always an anticipated matchup and imo a small rivalry based off program success. Same thing with Girard and Liberty in the TAC8. Hubbard had small rivalries with both schools due to their success and ability to challenge for the conference crown. With Struthers recent reemergence the Hubbard/Struthers game has become a game a lot of fans look forward to, deciding 2 of the final 3 AAC white crowns. Overall like others have stated there is no clear cut rivalry game for Hubbard, but a lot of anticipated matchups with emotions usually running pretty high. Looking forward to what the future brings.

Last edited by sportster4321; 12-31-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 06:51 PM
All World

With the dwindling demographics in the Valley, school enrollments and ultimately league affiliations are bound to change. We'll have to see how the closing of Lordstown will affect things.

We have to face it that things are getting very difficult in the area. Things are gonna change.
Personally, I think this new NE8 is good for the long run.

Like Sportster mentioned, a lot of old rivalries are just that ..... old.
We need to move on and this new league is where most of the teams in it belong.

Poland-Struthers, Hubbard-Struthers are pretty darn good rivalries nowadays.
Add Girard, Niles and now South Range to the mix and some good rivalries are sure to emerge.

I think putting this league together with similarly sized schools is gonna work for the long run.
Look forward to seeing how it plays out in the fall.
Old 12-31-18, 06:59 PM
All World

Amen to that. Feel like Niles may be up to something. Talent was down last season but the Dragons appeared to improve as the season progressed.
Old 12-31-18, 10:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amen to that. Feel like Niles may be up to something. Talent was down last season but the Dragons appeared to improve as the season progressed.

well they are the biggest school in the conference so donít be surprised if they do something soon. I know their younger classes arenít very good though.

Old 01-04-19, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioFB View Post
Teams in this Conference:

Girard
Hubbard
Jefferson
Lakeview
Niles
Poland
South Range
Struthers

I have to admit, I was never a huge fan of the AAC and feel like this type of conference will run a bit smoother. Reminiscent of the old TAC and MAC days.

Who is everyone's favorite? Dark Horse? Biggest Surprise? Biggest Drop-off?

I'll list mine..

Favorite - Poland (Have consistently been very steady)
Dark Horse - Struthers (Bring a lot back from last years team)
Biggest Surprise - Niles (Like what Parry has started)
Biggest Drop-off - Girard (Goodbye Mark Waid, we'll miss you)
I don't know the teams well enough to predict but it sure does look like a very impressive league for the most part.
Old 01-04-19, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Who knows. Jefferson hasnít been competitive in football at least.

West branch and Salem were never considered. Hopefully, they will be. At least one of them. When Jefferson leaves. Bc they will leave soon enough.

I don't think West Branch will leave the EBC and I don't know if Salem would either.. West Branch borders Salem, Alliance, Minerva and Marlington. Geographically it's a pretty good fit. Salem has a little more travel than WB so it would make more sense for them to leave but I think they may like the level of competition..

The NE8 looks like it's going a very promising football conference.
Old 01-05-19, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I don't think West Branch will leave the EBC and I don't know if Salem would either.. West Branch borders Salem, Alliance, Minerva and Marlington. Geographically it's a pretty good fit. Salem has a little more travel than WB so it would make more sense for them to leave but I think they may like the level of competition..

The NE8 looks like it's going a very promising football conference.

Salem was in the AAC before. They competed with toothman for two seasons. But the other years they struggled badly. Salem makes more sense than Jefferson but they seem to be content in their league. Their league isnít great but good enough to get them in the post season.

Old 01-07-19, 07:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Salem was in the AAC before. They competed with toothman for two seasons. But the other years they struggled badly. Salem makes more sense than Jefferson but they seem to be content in their league. Their league isnít great but good enough to get them in the post season.

Salem struggled with they first joined the NBC too, but Johnson has done a nice job turning that program around. I think they would be a nice addition to the NE8. If they would leave the EBC it would be probably the end of that conference. The EBC took a big hit with Louisville was asked to leave and if Salem would leave, it may be over??
Old 04-01-19, 06:56 PM
All World

With the situation of the GM plant, how might that affect the enrollment at some of the Trumbull County schools in the NE8? I'm just wondering if the migration of former GM workers to other plants and work in other states will affect enrollment specifically at Girard, Niles and Lakeview.
Old 04-01-19, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
With the situation of the GM plant, how might that affect the enrollment at some of the Trumbull County schools in the NE8? I'm just wondering if the migration of former GM workers to other plants and work in other states will affect enrollment specifically at Girard, Niles and Lakeview.

They will probably all lose a few kids from their base enrollment. The number of players is unknown. I fully expect Paladin to use this as an excuse though.

Old 04-02-19, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As for a clear cut rival for Hubbard. It's true that Hubbard doesn't have a clear cut rival anymore. Overall like others have stated there is no clear cut rivalry game for Hubbard, but a lot of anticipated matchups with emotions usually running pretty high. Looking forward to what the future brings.
I thought for a while that maybe Niles would be the one but their talent level never really made that rivalry take place as of yet.

I think that one day Hubbard's main rivalry might not be within the NE8 at all but someone on their OOC schedule.
Old 04-03-19, 12:42 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Howland? Ehh that’s about the same rivalry as Brookfield is now... non existent
Old 04-03-19, 08:30 PM
Freshman

Red-Lep is on a distinguished road
The NE8 is a perfect conference for these schools based on their current status and future outlooks of their enrollments. Good rivalries will grow. Would be nice to see the NE8 schools fill their OOC schedules with EBC schools since both conferences have similar size schools. Maybe a little side trophy for the conference that wins the most games! Maybe a week 3 conference challenge scheduled games. 7 vs 7 ( leave Jefferson out because of distance)
Old 04-03-19, 10:54 PM
All American

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OHSAA numbers:

School Girard Hubbard Lakeview Jefferson Niles Poland South Range Struthers
kindergarten 131 121 109 116 161 105 93 146
grade_1 105 115 127 141 168 133 85 138
grade_2 120 134 121 139 170 119 82 138
grade_3 111 141 130 118 175 142 93 143
grade_4 125 145 117 110 165 129 102 149
grade_5 122 158 147 135 168 120 93 161
grade_6 132 157 131 132 172 136 87 135
grade_7 133 176 138 151 177 148 112 137
grade_8 134 165 135 132 188 148 100 144
grade_9 147 190 148 114 196 177 103 156
grade_10 157 147 153 150 209 153 111 152
grade_11 118 129 99 93 175 150 101 120
grade_12 125 119 124 105 125 175 106 124
totals 1660 1897 1679 1636 2249 1835 1268 1843

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Dat...nrollment-Data
If these numbers stay true, Struthers should remain a small D4 school for the foreseeable future. Girard could be D5 as soon as 2021, and almost certainly by 2023. Lakeview should stay in D4 for a few more years, but I think they'll be D5 in 2025. Niles looks like they'll stay in D3 in 2021, but could drop to D4 in 2023. Hubbard will probably move up to D3 in 2021, if they don't this year. Poland will in all likelihood stay in D4 for the next 8-10 years... but there's a good chance they'll drop to D5 in 2027. And unless South Range grows considerably... I don't see them moving up from D5 anytime soon.

A lot can happen in 10 years, though. Who knows the effect the GM shutdown will have on the valley.
Old 04-03-19, 11:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
Salem struggled with they first joined the NBC too, but Johnson has done a nice job turning that program around. I think they would be a nice addition to the NE8. If they would leave the EBC it would be probably the end of that conference. The EBC took a big hit with Louisville was asked to leave and if Salem would leave, it may be over??
If Salem were to leave the EBC, could you see a school like Howland or Canfield taking their place?
Old 04-04-19, 08:03 AM
All District

Targeting is on a distinguished road
I am not sure why everyone keeps saying South Range is growing. I don't think it has grown much in many years. There is no home building going on in the area anymore and open enrollment has already been going on for 6-7 years. I see flat growth from here on out.

Also, nobody knows how much longer Coach Yeagley and key members of his staff (Allegretto for example) will keep coaching. That could be a huge factor in their competitiveness in the NE8 in football down the road.
SR has already proved they belong in every other sport.
Old 04-04-19, 08:23 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
If Salem were to leave the EBC, could you see a school like Howland or Canfield taking their place?
Canfield will present the same issues for the EBC that Louisville did. No way it would happen. Canfield would dominate schools like Minerva, Carrollton and Canton South across the board. Marlington and Alliance wouldn't be too keen on having on having the increased competition (in conference) that Canfield would bring, either.
Old 04-04-19, 08:34 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Canfield would run through the conference more then Louisville did
Old 04-04-19, 09:49 AM
All District

HE74 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Struthersfan;7221674]Who knows ???

NE8 website

https://www.northeast8.com/
Old 04-04-19, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
Canfield will present the same issues for the EBC that Louisville did. No way it would happen. Canfield would dominate schools like Minerva, Carrollton and Canton South across the board. Marlington and Alliance wouldn't be too keen on having on having the increased competition (in conference) that Canfield would bring, either.
I realize this. But IF Salem leaves and the EBC is in danger of folding... do you think they'd just let it die then? Might they try to find someone to replace Salem... who would be a welcome addition? Where could/would everyone go?
What about Howland? Too far? Howland wouldn't be a bad fit competitively... 5 years ago, yeah they wouldn't fit. Today, they'd finish near the bottom of the conference.

Again though, it's all contingent on Salem leaving the EBC. Every now and then, a rumor will pop up on here that Salem and West Branch are looking to leave the EBC... I personally don't buy it. But something to think about.