Girard
Hubbard
Jefferson
Lakeview
Niles
Poland
South Range
Struthers

I have to admit, I was never a huge fan of the AAC and feel like this type of conference will run a bit smoother. Reminiscent of the old TAC and MAC days.

Who is everyone's favorite? Dark Horse? Biggest Surprise? Biggest Drop-off?

I'll list mine..

Favorite - Poland (Have consistently been very steady)
Dark Horse - Struthers (Bring a lot back from last years team)
Biggest Surprise - Niles (Like what Parry has started)
Biggest Drop-off - Girard (Goodbye Mark Waid, we'll miss you)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-18, 07:37 AM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard will have a say on who wins the conference this year. Return a lot despite a few key losses. A lot of speed and size returning.
Old 12-13-18, 09:23 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Poland loses a lot and doesn’t really have any spectacular coming up, always a good D tho. Underachieving is what Poland has done under this coschbthey are not the Poland most people come to know.

I’ll say it’ll go

Hubbard/Struthers
Poland
Lakeview
SR
Niles
Girard
Jefferson.

Struthers brings back virtually everything
Hubbard has a bunch of skill
Poland needs to find offensive skill
Lakeview won’t be as down as last season
Sr is well coached and will be competitive
Niles is still a couple years away
Girard will win probably 3 games all year which is crazy for a state runner up
Jefferson is hoping to leave the conference I would hope
Old 12-13-18, 07:27 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
I think South Range would take 3rd or 4th place in the NE8 being that they are the smallest school in the league. The key would be how they do in OCC play, and if they are healthy at the end of the year. If so, and they get enough computer points to make the playoffs, they would hopefully be strong team in the D5 contender.
Old 12-13-18, 08:33 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard/Struthers/Poland one of the 3 will win with a srong lean to either Hubbard or Struthers.
South Range will surprise a few people and will knock off one of the big 3 contenders.
Niles will also surprise and be more competitive than people think. Parry has things going, as long as the young kids develop they should be pretty good.
Lakeview will be Lakeview. So-so to fairly decent.
Girard drops way off next season and then only goes downhill from there. There are going to be some lean years coming.
Jefferson was/is barely a junior high caliber team. They will strughle to win a game.
Old 12-13-18, 09:01 PM
All World

Losing Savin will hurt niles early next season l, what did they have behind him? I feel bad for Jefferson
Old 12-13-18, 09:19 PM
All District

itzme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Losing Savin will hurt niles early next season l, what did they have behind him? I feel bad for Jefferson
Travis Molnar who is a speedy scat back type and Joe Gallo who ran hard down hill will more than likely be their 2 lead backs. The offense will go through Zack Leonard at QB. They played quite a few Sophomore's and a bunch of Juniors last season. They suffered through some growing pains but played well at times throughout the year. They beat the 4 teams who finished with a losing record and lost to the 6 teams who finished with a winning record (4 of which made the playoffs). I'd expect them to be much improved in year 2 under Parry. Having a great offseason will be key in their success.
Old 12-14-18, 03:31 AM
Varsity

ThaXFactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
I think South Range would take 3rd or 4th place in the NE8 being that they are the smallest school in the league. The key would be how they do in OCC play, and if they are healthy at the end of the year. If so, and they get enough computer points to make the playoffs, they would hopefully be strong team in the D5 contender.
Raider, how close do you think The Range will be to bumping up to D4? IIRC, they weren't that far from D4 at the last enrollment count.
Old 12-14-18, 04:38 AM
All World

They will end up being one of the bigger schools in 5-10 years I’m the area that’s forsure
Old 12-14-18, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
2019 NE8 Conference

I am obviously biased BUT.

Struthers- Theyíll win the conference. Bring back a ton.

Hubbard- who knows what they will bring in and they bring back some very good skill

South Range- they will be better than Poland and contend in the league. They are good usually every year and bring a decent bit back.

Poland- Not sold on Poland at all. They will be a good team til week 5 or 6 then weíll see who they are.

Girard- a lot of kids with decent game experience. Wonít be as bad as the teams below them on my list. Wonít be good enough to beat anyone above either.

Niles- they turned a corner last season finishing strong and I think they will surprise some teams.

Lakeview- that was the worst Lakeview team Iíve ever seen ( but I never watched Lakeview prior to 2006) and I donít see them improving enough overnight.

Jefferson- awful.

All in all the Struthers /. Hubbard game will decide the conference for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Poland will disappoint.

South Range will surprise.

Everyone else will be ok except Jefferson and Lakeview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-18, 09:11 AM
All District

Jtown5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Jefferson has plenty of athletes walking the halls, most of them aren't playing sports. Either have lost interest because of normal high school politics or are spending their time in the woods hunting. It's kind of mess there, feel bad for the bball and football coaches because I think they are both really good. Here's an eye opener for you. Soccer was 0-18, Football was 0-10 and bball has started 0-3, will be 0-7 by the end of Xmas break.
Old 12-14-18, 02:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown5 View Post
Jefferson has plenty of athletes walking the halls, most of them aren't playing sports. Either have lost interest because of normal high school politics or are spending their time in the woods hunting. It's kind of mess there, feel bad for the bball and football coaches because I think they are both really good. Here's an eye opener for you. Soccer was 0-18, Football was 0-10 and bball has started 0-3, will be 0-7 by the end of Xmas break.
Thatís crazy! Are the politics that bad? Thatís insane
Old 12-14-18, 08:06 PM
All World

SteelValley
Why is Jefferson in this league? Just seems like such on odd fit. It was like Lakeside in AAC except being more competitive.

I’m not sure if I’m more surprised they’d want to travel that far for all league games or the rest of the league sees them as needed based on the # of D4-5 size schools in our area.

Were Salem or West Branch ever in the mix? They seem like they’d be nice fits size and geographically.
Old 12-15-18, 12:07 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Schedules:
Girard Indians
Fri Aug 30 At East Palestine
Fri Sep 6 West Branch Local
Fri Sep 13 At John F. Kennedy Catholic
Fri Sep 20 Lakeview
Fri Sep 27 At South Range
Fri Oct 4 Poland Seminary
Fri Oct 11 At Hubbard
Fri Oct 18 Struthers
Fri Oct 25 Jefferson Area
Fri Nov 1 At Niles McKinley

Hubbard Eagles
Fri Aug 30 At Alliance
Fri Sep 6 Howland
Fri Sep 13 East Cleveland Shaw
Fri Sep 20 At Struthers
Fri Sep 27 Jefferson Area
Fri Oct 4 At Lakeview
Fri Oct 11 Girard
Fri Oct 18 At Niles McKinley
Fri Oct 25 Poland Seminary
Fri Nov 1 At South Range

Jefferson Area Falcons
Thu Aug 29 At Grand Valley
Fri Sep 6 At Geneva
Fri Sep 13 Open
Fri Sep 20 Niles McKinley
Fri Sep 27 At Hubbard
Fri Oct 4 Struthers
Fri Oct 11 At South Range
Fri Oct 18 Poland Seminary
Fri Oct 25 At Girard
Fri Nov 1 Lakeview

Lakeview Bulldogs
Fri Aug 30 At Kirtland
Fri Sep 6 Youngstown Liberty
Fri Sep 13 Akron Firestone
Fri Sep 20 At Girard
Fri Sep 27 Struthers
Fri Oct 4 Hubbard
Fri Oct 11 At Poland Seminary
Fri Oct 18 South Range
Fri Oct 25 Niles McKinley
Fri Nov 1 At Jefferson Area

Niles McKinley Red Dragons
Thur Aug 29 Howland
Fri Sep 6 At Alliance
Fri Sep 13 Open
Fri Sep 20 At Jefferson Area
Fri Sep 27 Poland Seminary
Fri Oct 4 South Range
Fri Oct 11 At Struthers
Fri Oct 18 Hubbard
Fri Oct 25 At Lakeview
Fri Nov 1 Girard

Poland Seminary Bulldogs
Thur Aug 29 Marlington
Fri Sep 6 Boardman
Fri Sep 13 At Howland
Fri Sep 20 South Range (hc)
Fri Sep 27 At Niles McKinley
Fri Oct 4 At Girard
Fri Oct 11 Lakeview
Fri Oct 18 At Jefferson Area
Fri Oct 25 At Hubbard
Fri Nov 1 Struthers

South Range Raiders
Fri Aug 30 Springfield Local
Fri Sep 6 Crestview
Fri Sep 13 At Canton Central Catholic
Fri Sep 20 At Poland Seminary
Fri Sep 27 Girard
Fri Oct 4 At Niles McKinley
Fri Oct 11 Jefferson Area
Fri Oct 18 At Lakeview
Fri Oct 25 At Struthers
Fri Nov 1 Hubbard

Struthers Wildcats
Fri Aug 30 Ashtabula Lakeside
Fri Sep 6 Open ***
Fri Sep 13 At West Branch Local
Fri Sep 20 Hubbard
Fri Sep 27 At Lakeview
Fri Oct 4 At Jefferson Area
Fri Oct 11 Niles McKinley
Fri Oct 18 At Girard
Fri Oct 25 South Range
Fri Nov 1 At Poland Seminary
*** Crestview cancellation

Last edited by Struthersfan; 12-27-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 12:14 AM
All World

Anyone with open date info would be appreciated.

Any Struthers guys know if anything is happening with Week Two?
Both Akron East and St. Clairsville are still on ohsaa.org Open Dates.
Wouldn't mind either one on the Cats' schedule this coming season.
Old 12-15-18, 01:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Anyone with open date info would be appreciated.

Any Struthers guys know if anything is happening with Week Two?
Both Akron East and St. Clairsville are still on ohsaa.org Open Dates.
Wouldn't mind either one on the Cats' schedule this coming season.

Nope been quiet

Old 12-15-18, 01:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Why is Jefferson in this league? Just seems like such on odd fit. It was like Lakeside in AAC except being more competitive.

Iím not sure if Iím more surprised theyíd want to travel that far for all league games or the rest of the league sees them as needed based on the # of D4-5 size schools in our area.

Were Salem or West Branch ever in the mix? They seem like theyíd be nice fits size and geographically.

Who knows. Jefferson hasnít been competitive in football at least.

West branch and Salem were never considered. Hopefully, they will be. At least one of them. When Jefferson leaves. Bc they will leave soon enough.

Old 12-15-18, 06:29 AM
All World

Seems like everyone except Jefferson and Lakeview have opportunities for sone playoff points in out of. Conference games. I can see 3/4 teams making it to week 11
Old 12-15-18, 03:08 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaXFactor View Post
Raider, how close do you think The Range will be to bumping up to D4? IIRC, they weren't that far from D4 at the last enrollment count.
Not sure XFactorÖ.the classrooms are pretty full now with open enrollment. They have closed some of the grades from any additional students because they are at maximum levels for the classroom size and teachers. It may depend on how much the OHSAA adjust the enrollment levels. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sneak into the bottom of D4 in the next couple of years.

I know from talking to people at South Range, they joined the NE8 because they are growing while schools like Poland and Niles and maybe one or two others are seeing lower class sizes in their middle and elementary schools. I just we will see what happens in the next few years.
Old 12-16-18, 10:02 AM
All World

I think SR will end up being balanced in enrollment with most schools in a couple years. Poland is the one who’s really declining.
Old 12-16-18, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Lakeview schedule has them opening with Kirtland. Lakeview was young last year, I don't think they'll struggle as much as you think next year. They are already off and running in off season weight training and numbers are strong. I think they'll be just fine...
Old 12-16-18, 04:16 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Kirtland could be a rough start for Lakeview.

It will be interesting to see where these schools go in the next few years in terms of enrollment. Poland is shrinking and South Range and Girard are growing. Girard in fact has had a massive influx in the elementary schools from Liberty, hence the whole beef and the cessation of their rivalry. Im not sure about some of the other place, Niles will stay about where they are. I can't see Struthers growing and I don't know about Lakeview. I could potentially see South Range being the big dog in this conference in 6,7,8 years. If the conference is around that long that is.
Old 12-16-18, 07:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Lakeview schedule has them opening with Kirtland. Lakeview was young last year, I don't think they'll struggle as much as you think next year. They are already off and running in off season weight training and numbers are strong. I think they'll be just fine...

Kirkland is going to beat them badly. They were young but their best player was a senior and we didnít see too many bright spots from anyone else.
But stranger things have happened.

Old 12-16-18, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Kirtland could be a rough start for Lakeview.

It will be interesting to see where these schools go in the next few years in terms of enrollment. Poland is shrinking and South Range and Girard are growing. Girard in fact has had a massive influx in the elementary schools from Liberty, hence the whole beef and the cessation of their rivalry. Im not sure about some of the other place, Niles will stay about where they are. I can't see Struthers growing and I don't know about Lakeview. I could potentially see South Range being the big dog in this conference in 6,7,8 years. If the conference is around that long that is.

Conferences seem to die pretty quickly these days. If Poland drops to d5 like many think they will soon, things will change Iím guessing.

Some schools are keeping enrollment afloat by open enrollment. Girard being the main one here in the ne8 but I donít blame those parents from
Liberty one bit.

Old 12-16-18, 08:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
When they played Struthers they didnít even complete a pass I believe 0-14, lost their best 2 players on offense, unless theyíre bringing in a lot from other schools they will struggle again, I would understand if they were young and keeping games competitive, but when you have a team who gets soundly beat by liberty and Niles who werenít good at all, let alone the other beatdowns they took last season from the aac white, I think theyíre 2 years away from contending for a conference title
Old 12-16-18, 10:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Conferences seem to die pretty quickly these days. If Poland drops to d5 like many think they will soon, things will change Iím guessing.

Some schools are keeping enrollment afloat by open enrollment. Girard being the main one here in the ne8 but I donít blame those parents from
Liberty one bit.

My initial thoughts were that Girard, Hubbard, Lakeview would probably increase
South Range should be DIV very soon. Enrollment will be solid for the long run. I think theyíre limited in capacity. Donít think theyíd go over DIV.
Struthers, Niles and Jefferson look pretty consistent.
And Poland will lose numbers. Numbers projected for lower classes in Poland could have them drop to DV.

But after comparing numbers from the ohsaa for the eight schools, they all look to remain consistent except for Poland. Poland could drop to DV eventually while SR will probably bump up to DIV in the future due to open enrollment.
My personal view is the league hangs around for quite some time. Points being: great natural rivalries or new rivalries to commence, especially with South Range. Logistics also are great. Most people from the area donít appreciate the closeness in geography. Aside from Jefferson, most trips are 30-40 minutes. I could possibly see Jefferson being a statistic in the NE8 due to the logistics involved in most sports. Can eventually see them looking for something closer to their neck of the woods.
I hope we donít get too aggressive to add teams to the league. Adding a second tier and eventually discussing crossover games would probably kill it, much like the AAC and the ITCL. Tiers generally arenít normally thought out and donít work out in the long run.
If Jefferson were to eventually leave, add either Salem or West Branch or both.
Old 12-16-18, 10:27 PM
All World

OHSAA numbers:

School Girard Hubbard Lakeview Jefferson Niles Poland South Range Struthers
kindergarten 131 121 109 116 161 105 93 146
grade_1 105 115 127 141 168 133 85 138
grade_2 120 134 121 139 170 119 82 138
grade_3 111 141 130 118 175 142 93 143
grade_4 125 145 117 110 165 129 102 149
grade_5 122 158 147 135 168 120 93 161
grade_6 132 157 131 132 172 136 87 135
grade_7 133 176 138 151 177 148 112 137
grade_8 134 165 135 132 188 148 100 144
grade_9 147 190 148 114 196 177 103 156
grade_10 157 147 153 150 209 153 111 152
grade_11 118 129 99 93 175 150 101 120
grade_12 125 119 124 105 125 175 106 124
totals 1660 1897 1679 1636 2249 1835 1268 1843

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Dat...nrollment-Data
Old 12-16-18, 10:51 PM
All World

Quote:
When they played Struthers they didnít even complete a pass I believe 0-14, lost their best 2 players on offense, unless theyíre bringing in a lot from other schools they will struggle again, I would understand if they were young and keeping games competitive, but when you have a team who gets soundly beat by liberty and Niles who werenít good at all, let alone the other beatdowns they took last season from the aac white, I think theyíre 2 years away from contending for a conference title
They can go 0-10 every year and become the new "Edgewood" as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sick and tired of the slurs and racial undertones emitted from that school, in particular from a despicable, sorry old man.
They reap what they sow.

Old 12-17-18, 12:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
They can go 0-10 every year and become the new "Edgewood" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sick and tired of the slurs and racial undertones emitted from that school, in particular from a despicable, sorry old man.

They reap what they sow.

Iím all for this

Old 12-17-18, 12:26 AM
All World

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Iím all for this

Surprised youíre still up.
Lol

Iím still anxious to see if we can fill week two.
Nancy needs to get moving.

Enjoy the holidays!