Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 01-23-19, 08:03 AM
All District

OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Remember what Andy Dufresne says about hope "hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Just because no one has stayed at PW doesn't mean they should get out of the league. There were grumblings by locals wanting FR and Min to leave as well.

If they can find someone who stays, they have a chance to turn it around.
The key word in your sentence I "if".
Old 01-23-19, 01:20 PM
All Region

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
The last article I saw on Parkway on out of district transfers was a GAIN of nearly 100 kids who don't reside in the district.
Huh, well there ya go then.
Old 01-23-19, 03:21 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The last article I saw on Parkway on out of district transfers was a GAIN of nearly 100 kids who don't reside in the district.
to tell you the truth, that is a surprising stat..
Old 01-23-19, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Latest figures I can find was for 2015-16 and PW was a net gain of 71 from OE, second in the mac behind coldwater.

However, PW had a 11% total enrollment from outside the district, the highest in the county.

Those figures appear to be K-12 so each grad was roughly 6/grade
Old 01-24-19, 07:18 AM
All World

talking about enrollment, when does the decision come out on the divisions that each school will be put in?
Old 01-24-19, 01:06 PM
All District

OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
to tell you the truth, that is a surprising stat..
Why is it so surprising? This was discussed in the previous MAC thread I believe last summer. It was in the Daily Standard and the Times-Bulletin. This is old news. Lincolnview had 30% of their enrollment reside out of district. That is nearly one out of every three students.
Van Wert and Celina are losing students big time.
Old 01-24-19, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Why is it so surprising? This was discussed in the previous MAC thread I believe last summer. It was in the Daily Standard and the Times-Bulletin., This is old news. Lincolnview had 30% of their enrollment reside out of district. That is nearly one out of every three students.
Van Wert and Celina are losing students big time.
Are you sure it was 30%? Parkway leads the area awith 11%. The 100 figure someone threw out above (which was actually 116 coming in, and a net of 71, was for ALL GRADES.
Van WErts has a net loss of 12% and Celina a 7% net loss.

Just curious if someone took the total number of their incoming students and divided it by the HS enrollment instead of the whole shabang
Old 01-24-19, 02:05 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Three year old statistics, but the 30% number for Lincolnwiew is correct as stated, but it does NOT include students leaving. With them, the number is 19%.

https://www.limaohio.com/openenrollment
Old 01-24-19, 04:00 PM
All American

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Three year old statistics, but the 30% number for Lincolnwiew is correct as stated, but it does NOT include students leaving. With them, the number is 19%.

https://www.limaohio.com/openenrollment
To clarify: 30% of Lincolnview's enrollment is open enrollment. Their enrollment grew by 19% because of open enrollment.

Just curious, where are all the Botkins open enrollment students coming from? They grew from a school of 403 to an enrollment of nearly 700 because of open enrollment.

It would be very interesting to see numbers for every district on how many open enrollment students they gain/lose, where they are from and go and what grade they open enroll. Not that there has been for a while but there are no home grown schools anymore.
Old 01-24-19, 04:17 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
To clarify: 30% of Lincolnview's enrollment is open enrollment. Their enrollment grew by 19% because of open enrollment.

Just curious, where are all the Botkins open enrollment students coming from? They grew from a school of 403 to an enrollment of nearly 700 because of open enrollment.

It would be very interesting to see numbers for every district on how many open enrollment students they gain/lose, where they are from and go and what grade they open enroll. Not that there has been for a while but there are no home grown schools anymore.
Possibly Wapakoneta.
Old 01-24-19, 08:16 PM
All World

Quote:

that is amazing the numbers Botkins has
Old 01-24-19, 09:35 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
There have been a few Willshire kids transferring to Crestview and Adams Central. Has been a few instances where the kid lived in Parkway district but never attended there. One had family in AC district and used the address in Indiana to attend there. I own a house in Willshire and my wife owns one in Wren. My stepkids go to Crestview. Our children together will attend AC using my parents' address if I don't buy a house in AC district before that.
Old 01-25-19, 12:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Not that there has been for a while but there are no home grown schools anymore.
Sure there are. A little open enrollment is to be expected. Many of these schools aren’t losing ‘core kids’ - they are generally gaining and losing kids that love near the district’s boundary lines.
Old 01-25-19, 09:48 AM
All American

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Perhaps we should look at it in degrees. There has always been some transferring but, looking at the numbers in the report, nothing to this degree. Schools don't lose or gain a combined 50-100+ students just because they live near the district borders. I'm curious to know when most of these open enrollments happen. I'd guess that a great number happen in kindergarten or 1st grade. It would also be VERY interesting to pass out an anonymous survey to these parents asking them why they open enrolled their child. If I was a superintendent this is one question I'd like to know the answer for.
Old 01-25-19, 01:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Perhaps we should look at it in degrees. There has always been some transferring but, looking at the numbers in the report, nothing to this degree. Schools don't lose or gain a combined 50-100+ students just because they live near the district borders. I'm curious to know when most of these open enrollments happen. I'd guess that a great number happen in kindergarten or 1st grade. It would also be VERY interesting to pass out an anonymous survey to these parents asking them why they open enrolled their child. If I was a superintendent this is one question I'd like to know the answer for.
Take a look at the second page of data and you’ll see those percentages just aren’t significant. If you ask the superintendents of Marion Local, Fort Recovery, Minster, St. Henry, etc, I can about guarantee you they already know why every student either open enrolls in or out. Marion has a contingent of kids that live near Montezuma, which is in the Celina district but closer to ML communities in both proximity and culture. It’s a no-brainer that these kids go to ML, but 15-ish years ago they didn’t have that option without paying tuition. Just because those kids go to ML doesn’t make ML any less of a ‘home grown school’.
Old 01-25-19, 04:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Take a look at the second page of data and you’ll see those percentages just aren’t significant. If you ask the superintendents of Marion Local, Fort Recovery, Minster, St. Henry, etc, I can about guarantee you they already know why every student either open enrolls in or out. Marion has a contingent of kids that live near Montezuma, which is in the Celina district but closer to ML communities in both proximity and culture. It’s a no-brainer that these kids go to ML, but 15-ish years ago they didn’t have that option without paying tuition. Just because those kids go to ML doesn’t make ML any less of a ‘home grown school’.
Coldwater also gets Montezuma kids but our district is odd looking too. I'm not necessarily sure Franklin Township should be Celina school district anyway as the vast Majority of the township are either closer to Coldwater or Marion Local and even New Bremen.

The closest thing I could find to a reliable district map: https://development.ohio.gov/reports...cts_map_r3.htm
Old 01-29-19, 05:34 PM
All American

Congrats Mitch! https://twitter.com/Nieks41/status/1090379667989770240
Old 01-31-19, 11:22 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Code cracked!!!!!!

I just cracked the code of the true success of the MAC, its called "Accountability". According to the Ohio Department of Education and its ranking of all Ohio school districts, 7 MAC schools are in the top 100 including 4 in the top 50. My theory is not rocket science but is stated quite simply, when you create a culture of excellence in the classroom, it will spill over onto the athletic fields and into the community. Congratulations MAC schools, you have shown us all the true secret...…...
Old 01-31-19, 11:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
I just cracked the code of the true success of the MAC, its called "Accountability". According to the Ohio Department of Education and its ranking of all Ohio school districts, 7 MAC schools are in the top 100 including 4 in the top 50. My theory is not rocket science but is stated quite simply, when you create a culture of excellence in the classroom, it will spill over onto the athletic fields and into the community. Congratulations MAC schools, you have shown us all the true secret...…...
where can I find the list
Old 01-31-19, 11:57 AM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
where can I find the list
https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/...trict-ran.html
Old 01-31-19, 12:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballfan20 View Post
interesting looking at this list....from bottom to top, I wonder what the cost per student is for each school that is listed? and I guarantee the administration cost is VERY high for schools that are at the bottom of this list.
Old 01-31-19, 03:08 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Marion Local led the way for MAC schools at being rated the 4th best school in the State. You hit the nail on the head about culture and accountability that is biggest reason for any success MAC schools whether in sports or in the classroom.
Old 02-04-19, 04:14 PM
All American

Any news on Parkway?
Old 02-04-19, 07:56 PM
All World

Former Minster grad. Eli Wolf is scheduled to visit OSU this week as a grad transfer from Tennessee. Be nice to see him in Scarlet and Gray this fall.
Old 02-04-19, 08:24 PM
All World

Quote:
when you create a culture of excellence in the classroom, it will spill over onto the athletic fields and into the community.
I’d say the MAC schools’ prominence in the state report card has more to do with the community (families, socioeconomic factors, etc) than anything the schools are doing. You’ve got good kids coming from strong, stable, economically comfortable families going to these schools; of course they’re going to do well.
Old 02-04-19, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I’d say the MAC schools’ prominence in the state report card has more to do with the community (families, socioeconomic factors, etc) than anything the schools are doing. You’ve got good kids coming from strong, stable, economically comfortable families going to these schools; of course they’re going to do well.
Just as I said about discipline, education starts at home.
Old 02-05-19, 07:00 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not so fast with your theory. How many athletic titles do schools like Solon, Ottawa Hills or Indian Hill have? And near the other extreme, Trotwood having met 0 of 24 academic standards is a football and basketball power.

I agree with the others here it is families of the MAC schools that produce strong individuals and that transfers to both athletics and academics.
Old 02-07-19, 08:58 AM
All World

With FL probably getting the boot from the CupCakeConference, I would like to see the Redskins get added to the MAC if their willing to join for all sports. It would definitely help with scheduling in all sports other than football.
Old 02-07-19, 09:06 AM
All Region

Union County Fan is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts of kickoff times being moved up to 7:00 from 7:30?
Old 02-07-19, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Good news for bar owners?