Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-11-19, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
Do you mean much to the chagrin of the other coaches at LW? What exactly do you mean here? If I were them, I'd take Bolden's advice.
A top notch football program can suck the life out of the other sport programs at a school.
Old 07-11-19, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
A top notch football program can suck the life out of the other sport programs at a school.
I see what you're saying (and I've seen it in action), but it should be the opposite.

It should elevate everyone else if done properly (a great AD can do wonders in this situation).
Old 07-11-19, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
I see what you're saying (and I've seen it in action), but it should be the opposite.

It should elevate everyone else if done properly (a great AD can do wonders in this situation).
You have to have an extra large student population (St. X, Mason) to pull it off. And even then its tough to maintain excellence across the board. Its especially hard in D1. At Winton Woods and Colerain football is king and there isnt a ton of interest in the silly sports, so football thrives. At Sycamore there is alot of interest in the other sports so football (and basketball) can struggle. But Sycamore has good coaches and adminstrators to manage it well.
Old 07-11-19, 08:16 PM
All Yappi

Which GMC team has the best QB? That is who wins the conference.
Old 07-12-19, 07:30 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You have to have an extra large student population (St. X, Mason) to pull it off. And even then its tough to maintain excellence across the board. Its especially hard in D1. At Winton Woods and Colerain football is king and there isnt a ton of interest in the silly sports, so football thrives. At Sycamore there is alot of interest in the other sports so football (and basketball) can struggle. But Sycamore has good coaches and adminstrators to manage it well.
I would say that the concept of football having a somewhat negative impact on other sports at Colerain is a reality.

It does kind of make one scratch his or her head that they have had such a high quality football program for nearly 25 years but have not even sniffed a basketball conference title since the early 1990s. It seems like every school gets that once in a generation basketball talent that is of a D1 caliber but said player has not come across Colerain's court. As great as the Cards have been on the gridiron, they've been equally poor in basketball overall sans a few post-season runs when they got some heat and went on a run. Continued post-season play in football does prevent players from being on the court who play both sports, too.

BUT-at least they have the football program which is a great source of pride for the community and Cardinal Nation.

They are just never going to be a school that has strong-championship Olympic/country club sports-maybe a great individual golfer or tennis player from time to time. Heck the community was not conducive to that when I was growing up there 30 years ago. The swimming program was basically non-existent until membership in the GMC came to the table in the latter part of the 90s and has always been shallow on the men's side especially.
Old 07-12-19, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is what I mean. He is sucking up a lot resources in men and material and space. I am interested to how this works out in the AD's office. There was a reason why Colerain was not consistently good in other sports even though their football players were specimens.
Old 07-13-19, 02:11 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Colerain sold their athletic soul to football and other sports suffered. I think he will have success at West and it impacts two schools. East has always been thankful that nice guy Larry lacked in coaching. West will contend and possibly tie for the league this year. I'm not sold on Princeton. Daniels might be the new Cox. East will be looking for a new coach soon.
Old 07-13-19, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
West will contend and possibly tie for the league this year. I'm not sold on Princeton.
Dont sleep on Fairfield. McClain and Ellis will be tough, good coach and flying under the radar.
Old 07-13-19, 07:40 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
I've tasted that FF kool aid for a couple seasons. They can't win the big one.
Old 07-13-19, 09:15 PM
Junior Varsity

NastyNati12 is on a distinguished road
Heard a rumor Malik Verdon transferred back to West, does anyone know if thatís true?
Old 07-14-19, 03:55 PM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
I would say that the concept of football having a somewhat negative impact on other sports at Colerain is a reality.

It does kind of make one scratch his or her head that they have had such a high quality football program for nearly 25 years but have not even sniffed a basketball conference title since the early 1990s. It seems like every school gets that once in a generation basketball talent that is of a D1 caliber but said player has not come across Colerain's court. As great as the Cards have been on the gridiron, they've been equally poor in basketball overall sans a few post-season runs when they got some heat and went on a run. Continued post-season play in football does prevent players from being on the court who play both sports, too.

BUT-at least they have the football program which is a great source of pride for the community and Cardinal Nation.

They are just never going to be a school that has strong-championship Olympic/country club sports-maybe a great individual golfer or tennis player from time to time. Heck the community was not conducive to that when I was growing up there 30 years ago. The swimming program was basically non-existent until membership in the GMC came to the table in the latter part of the 90s and has always been shallow on the men's side especially.

Colerain basketball HAS made back to back regional appearances in the last decade.
COaching matters. That coach is currently at Hamilton
Old 07-14-19, 04:03 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Colerain basketball HAS made back to back regional appearances in the last decade.

COaching matters. That coach is currently at Hamilton
That one time was a sort of lucky run. That is a perfect example of why I think teams should be placed in the bracket according to seeding, not by their own choosing. Because when you have a big threat in a year, all the other top teams run to the opposite side, leaving a bracket with one top team and all of the other bottom teams. Teams can make what looks like a deep run, simply because they are playing the other bottom feeders.

With that said, that Colerain team was an average team at best team, in a weak bracket, BUT that did win one big game to solidify their run as a Cinderella run. That program was and is still mediocre.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-19, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNati12 View Post
Heard a rumor Malik Verdon transferred back to West, does anyone know if thatís true?
Yes. This appears to be true. That gives Lakota West a 3 player competition for QB, with two out of three coming from Moeller. Daniel Caudill, Malik Verdon and Caleb Rao. No one is sure what offense Bolden will run but what ever it is he will want a mobile QB, not a pocket passer. The best thing to do would be move Verdon to LB. Its best for the player and team. The whole off season in SWO has been strange.
Old 07-15-19, 09:09 PM
All American

The Game
Quote:
Yes. This appears to be true. That gives Lakota West a 3 player competition for QB, with two out of three coming from Moeller. Daniel Caudill, Malik Verdon and Caleb Rao. No one is sure what offense Bolden will run but what ever it is he will want a mobile QB, not a pocket passer. The best thing to do would be move Verdon to LB. Its best for the player and team. The whole off season in SWO has been strange.
Is Verdon definitely at West? In Bolden’s Interview with Dyer the other day he did not mention him in the qb competition. He did mention the other Moeller transfer (Caudill). I was looking forward to seeing him play for Moe this year.
Old 07-15-19, 09:48 PM
Junior Varsity

NastyNati12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I canít imagine they would move a kid with SEC offers as a QB to LB.
Old 07-15-19, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNati12 View Post
I can’t imagine they would move a kid with SEC offers as a QB to LB.
Was he offered as a QB or athlete? It doesnt really matter, he didnt win the starting job at Moeller and the Moeller starter wasnt good, he was bad. I saw Verdon a couple of plays against Winton Woods (he took exactly two snaps) and he got some time against St. Ignatius. He seemed like an heck of a player but not a natural QB.