Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-18, 05:15 PM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Hairston retires

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...sketball-coach
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
I believe he was the Track & Field coach at McKinley in 1997 when they won a State Title.

:>---

EGA
Old 03-12-18, 09:13 PM
Varsity

Localfan is on a distinguished road
Itís sad to see him go
Old 03-12-18, 09:55 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Coach Hairston on a stellar career. Most people have no idea what goes in to coaching an inner-city team, especially for that many years. Best wishes to him moving forward.
Old 03-12-18, 10:22 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Super article. So many stories like this you rarely get to hear about. Wishing him the best as he pursues future opportunities! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-13-18, 04:33 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Many coaches who leave lately say the number one cause is parents. The parents are becoming a bigger issue is all sports. It's not just a McKinley problem but a national epidemic. It's a shame because parents have caused many good coaches to say that's enough I'm out of here.
Old 03-13-18, 04:46 AM
Freshman

tjmdawgs is on a distinguished road
Thank God! Now maybe Mckinley basketball can get back to its winning ways!
Old 03-13-18, 06:04 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmdawgs View Post
Thank God! Now maybe Mckinley basketball can get back to its winning ways!
You have to go back to Dave Hoover to find a coach who was more successful than Hairston at McKinley.

If they don't hire from within, I expect the list of candidates to be fairly short...coaches aren't lining up to coach at city schools...not even McKinley with it's storied history.
Old 03-13-18, 07:13 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Hairston on a great career. One of the good ones!
Old 03-13-18, 07:20 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Congrats to Coach Hairston on a stellar career. Most people have no idea what goes in to coaching an inner-city team, especially for that many years. Best wishes to him moving forward.
So true. Hairston faces obstacles and challenges in a season that McBride or Devibic could never imagine. He's a great coach and an equally good man. I hope he finds a gig that he likes and is well paid for at this time in life.
Old 03-13-18, 07:46 AM
Varsity

Parents all feel like their kid is the next big superstar... Can't just let coaches coach.. If the parent is disrespecting the coach then why would the kid listen to or even respect him either.
Old 03-13-18, 07:55 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Many coaches who leave lately say the number one cause is parents. The parents are becoming a bigger issue is all sports. It's not just a McKinley problem but a national epidemic. It's a shame because parents have caused many good coaches to say that's enough I'm out of here.
I do not disagree but we cannot fail to acknowledge the fact that when you take a premier coaching job, like McKinley basketball, that has come with unreasonable expectations and fans who feel entitled to express their opinions on a regular basis for 80+ years. You cannot take a job where they only make you teach half a day, pay you as well as some low level administrators and provide you with nearly everything you need to succeed and then say "Hey - people were in my business too much."

That said, I agree that this will not be like the coaching search that yielded Dave Hoover 20 years ago. The elite names in high school coaching will not be lining up for a chance to take over the Pups. That search had finalists live Aronholt from Zanesville, Close from Stow, Hoover from Westerville, Randy Montgomery . . . if I remember correctly, there were 8 applicants who had taken teams to the Final Four and some of those people didn't even get an interview. everyone wanted to take a peak at what might be offered. I think there will be a couple high quality candidates but I do not think it will be as deep a well.

The City of Canton, Stark County and McKinley High School are very different places than they were 20 years ago. However, McKinley will still be able to offer a reduced teaching load (most schools won't do that but, admittedly, it is becoming more common) and a great tradition and, with Jackson, in my opinion, the most consistent trip to the regional. So long asthey keep the Canton district together, you are talking about two kings in Jackson and McKinley who only need to worry about each other and whatever other school happens to be good that year (sometimes Lake, sometimes GO, sometimes, Perry , etc. . . . but none of the schools are a threat to be a consistent threat). We can say all we want about McKinley "not being what it used to be" but, in fairness, if you add Timken's run over their last 6 years of existence, Canton City has still produced outstanding basketball teams on a VERY frequent basis in the VERY recent past.
Old 03-13-18, 08:07 AM
Freshman

PioKnight45 is on a distinguished road
With the merger still infancy and just an overall culture change for Mck, it would be nice to see Marcus Parker have a chance to be HC with Sean Weatherspoon helping. Great combination of history with the program, basketball IQ, and relativity to today's youth which is no crucial than I feel it was even 10 years ago.
Old 03-13-18, 08:21 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioKnight45 View Post
With the merger still infancy and just an overall culture change for Mck, it would be nice to see Marcus Parker have a chance to be HC with Sean Weatherspoon helping. Great combination of history with the program, basketball IQ, and relativity to today's youth which is no crucial than I feel it was even 10 years ago.
Marcus Parker isn't at the level needed to coach McKinley he is a middle school coach at best.
Old 03-13-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post

That said, I agree that this will not be like the coaching search that yielded Dave Hoover 20 years ago. The elite names in high school coaching will not be lining up for a chance to take over the Pups. ....
Some of the applicants were not actually interested in the job but only used
it to extract more money (salary) for their position from the school where they
were at. This was especially true if they made the short list .

EGA
Old 03-13-18, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Some of the applicants were not actually interested in the job but only used it to extract more money (salary) for their position from the school where they were at. This was especially true if they made the short list .
EGA
Extract more money? Coaching contracts are board approved. Coaching salaries are typically pre-determined by the contract with possibly an experience scale. Schools that have the ability to arbitrarily give a coach a pay raise are insanely rare. Now, a coach may leverage something else. Teaching schedule. Other supplemental contracts, etc.
Old 03-13-18, 10:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Extract more money? Coaching contracts are board approved. Coaching salaries are typically pre-determined by the contract with possibly an experience scale. Schools that have the ability to arbitrarily give a coach a pay raise are insanely rare. Now, a coach may leverage something else. Teaching schedule. Other supplemental contracts, etc.
I think you may both be right here. Extract a better deal and extract more money are two different things but, in the end, it can mean a better deal for the job, in total.

I agree that coaching stipends are usually predetermined and based upon a percentage of the base salary in the district. However, that does not mean that a coach cannot get more planning periods/time off during the day, additional stipends (sometimes existing and sometimes newly invented) for jobs such as assistant AD, weight room coordinator, etc. or even an administrative job to boost salary. Also, Scott Aronhalt used the job at Jackson (when they hired Fuline) and the job at McKinley (when they hired Hoover) to better his total package, get the boosters to get him a lease on a car, allow him to keep more of his camp money, etc.

For example, Lake allowed McBride to take a job as Career Tech Prep Teacher, despite his social studies degree, so that he can work only half the day and he has the freedom of time most afternoons to run his program. GlenOak hired a non-educator in Matt Hackenberg and paid him almost $70,000 to be "Dean of Students" - a job that did not exist until they hired him. There are other examples all around the state. Frankly, with school finances the way they are, spending tens of thousands of dollars of school money for coaches who do not have many other duties seems silly to me. I understand the pressure to be great, have great programs and retain what you think are good people so, in the spirit of local control, if this what they want to do, so be it.

Personally, I think making them contribute to your academic environment and making sure they have the last period (maybe two periods) of the day free to practice plan and get in the gym should suffice but I guess I am old school.
Old 03-13-18, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

^

All of this and more!

EGA
Old 03-13-18, 06:00 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
You cannot take a job where they only make you teach half a day, pay you as well as some low level administrators and provide you with nearly everything you need to succeed and then say "Hey - people were in my business too much."
If Hairston taught half a day, the district got one heck of a gift because he is retired.
Old 03-13-18, 07:05 PM
All District

nd31 miami 30 is on a distinguished road
This should be an easy hire. Scott Giammarco; current JV coach. He was great at GO and led them to the Regionals. Lead assistant would be Harper.
Old 03-13-18, 07:09 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd31 miami 30 View Post
This should be an easy hire. Scott Giammarco; current JV coach. He was great at GO and led them to the Regionals. Lead assistant would be Harper.
I know my fellow McKinley fans will disagree, but this was the same thought that I had when I read the article about his resignation. Question is, does he want it? He resigned from GlenOak because he wanted to be able to spend more time with his kids (infant and 2 year old at the time) who are now about 6 and 8.

That said, there is a potential elephant in the room. Stay tuned.
Old 03-13-18, 07:13 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Lol. Giammarco is a terrible X&O coach and constantly got out coached by Monter during JV games against Jackson. I would love that hire.
Chet Harper should get the job just to keep Kobe from leaving but hear some other interesting names in the mix
Old 03-13-18, 07:31 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you nuts...NEVER!...Why he was even on this bench I'll never know.
Old 03-13-18, 07:39 PM
All District

nd31 miami 30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
Lol. Giammarco is a terrible X&O coach and constantly got out coached by Monter during JV games against Jackson. I would love that hire.
Chet Harper should get the job just to keep Kobe from leaving but hear some other interesting names in the mix
Heís a really good coach. The problem with McKinley isnít coaching. It is armchair idiots who think they know everything. The talent is down, it is not the coaching. Coming from the guy who thinks Debevec is the best coach in history, Iíll take it with a grain of salt. Ha.
Old 03-13-18, 07:41 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Heís a really good coach. The problem with McKinley isnít coaching. It is armchair idiots who think they know everything. The talent is down, it is not the coaching. Coming from the guy who thinks Debevec is the best coach in history, Iíll take it with a grain of salt. Ha.

One has a state championship the other is a JV coach who will never have one haha. Again anyone that saw him try and match coaching wits with Monter should know the answer to whether or not he should take over the McKinley program.
Old 03-13-18, 08:25 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Its McKinley. It won't be something as simple and logical as an in house hire from the current staff. There will be factions of fans/boosters who support different candidates and the political infighting will commence. Let's hope a clear candidate emerges, if not they will choose a "compromise" candidate in a failed attempt to please everyone. (remember Greg Malone).
Old 03-13-18, 09:19 PM
Varsity

I don't think Johnson will leave.. Where else would he go? Whoever gets the job will have to use him donít you think?
Old 03-13-18, 11:28 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Congrats to Hairston on a great career. One of the good ones!
Unfortunately his & timken's improvement was shaded by the other members who REFUSED to vote for him as COY in the middle of the streak, what a shame! That instance right there will be my lasting impression of that league, who never had any problems with Hairston or Timken until Canton residents started attending Timken.
Old 03-14-18, 09:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
If Hairston taught half a day, the district got one heck of a gift because he is retired.
Come on . . . you know that was his arrangement pre-retirement a couple years back and that was the deal he cut when he got the Timken job in 2001 or so.

Didn't Rick only get the Timken job because Fairless's coach flaked out before the board meeting after accepting the job and they had to scramble to get Hariston to accept (who was rightfully angry for being passed over the first time, just days earlier)?
Old 03-14-18, 09:36 AM
All American

Quote:
Does anyone know what happened in Wayne County when Giammarco left his coaching position in early September, after the first day of school?

Also, rumors are that he does not want the job.