Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Convoy Crestview by 1-10 9 69.23%
Convoy Crestview by 11-20 2 15.38%
Convoy Crestview by 21+ 0 0%
Maumee Valley Country Day by 1-10 2 15.38%
Maumee Valley Country Day by 11-20 0 0%
Maumee Valley Country Day by 21+ 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-18, 06:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
DIV BG Regional Semifinal: Convoy Crestview (22-3) vs Maumee Valley Country Day(20-5)

DIV Bowling Green Regional Semifinal: Convoy Crestview (22-3) vs Maumee Valley Country Day (20-5)

Who wins?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 09:00 PM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting. Although MV is without their big man Jaiden Woodley who would've been a match-up nightmare for Convoy Crestview, how CC deals with the length and speed of some MVCDS gaurds. AJ Johnson is 6'4 with a 6-7 wingspan and just dropped 5-6 threes and had 5 blocks and 8 rebounds. If he plays like that again MV wins because Zeb Jackson is going to get his so is Steve Coleman they need that 3rd person to win.
Old 03-12-18, 08:14 AM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
It will be interesting. Although MV is without their big man Jaiden Woodley who would've been a match-up nightmare for Convoy Crestview, how CC deals with the length and speed of some MVCDS gaurds. AJ Johnson is 6'4 with a 6-7 wingspan and just dropped 5-6 threes and had 5 blocks and 8 rebounds. If he plays like that again MV wins because Zeb Jackson is going to get his so is Steve Coleman they need that 3rd person to win.
Crestview doesn't have matchup nightmares. They go 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 (7-0 wing span) in the starting lineup with 6-8 (7-2 wing span), 6-2, and 6-1 off the bench. They also have two scrappy guards which will give Jackson fits.

Jackson is a great talent, but I would venture to say that MVCD hasn't seen defense like this all year. Their schedule is fairly weak. They will also have to face two Etzler boys that are heavily recruited on the D1 level.

This game goes to Crestview by 10 plus. Convoy Crestview holds Jackson under 15 on the night. They need to find two scorers outside of Jackson because he will be hounded.
Old 03-12-18, 08:50 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
Crestview doesn't have matchup nightmares. They go 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 (7-0 wing span) in the starting lineup with 6-8 (7-2 wing span), 6-2, and 6-1 off the bench. They also have two scrappy guards which will give Jackson fits.

Jackson is a great talent, but I would venture to say that MVCD hasn't seen defense like this all year. Their schedule is fairly weak. They will also have to face two Etzler boys that are heavily recruited on the D1 level.

This game goes to Crestview by 10 plus. Convoy Crestview holds Jackson under 15 on the night. They need to find two scorers outside of Jackson because he will be hounded.
Uh....heavily recruited? C'mon, MVCD has a kid with a UC offer....I don't think you're gonna scare them with your talk of "heavily recruited" guards lol. That being said, I think if MVCD can get this game moving....thinking into the 60's that they can take this one. If Crestview keeps it in the 40's or really low 50's they move on. Crestview hasn't seen a team with the speed of MVCD this year....it will be interesting to see how this plays out
Old 03-12-18, 09:02 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Uh....heavily recruited? C'mon, MVCD has a kid with a UC offer....I don't think you're gonna scare them with your talk of "heavily recruited" guards lol. That being said, I think if MVCD can get this game moving....thinking into the 60's that they can take this one. If Crestview keeps it in the 40's or really low 50's they move on. Crestview hasn't seen a team with the speed of MVCD this year....it will be interesting to see how this plays out
Heavily recruited guards? They are 6-7 and 6-8 (junior and frosh) and each have 5 plus D1 scholarship offers on the board. Albeit, mainly MAC schools, just like Jackson.

UC is a big offer. I think the Sheets kid has one in football that also plays on Crestview's team.

That Crestview squad has not scored well, but that District was brutal. NWO has the best small school basketball (and football) in the state. PG, ML, Crestview will all show out. One or two should be sitting in state. I would expect Crestview to drop 70 on MVCD, by looking at the lack of defense in their conference.
Old 03-12-18, 02:29 PM
Freshman

T-town is on a distinguished road
Coleman for MV is athletic and has a motor if he and Johnson do there things Convoy will have their hands full.

As far as playing noone MV played The Wellington school top 10 D3 in the state Cardinal Stritch top 5 D3 in the state also beat D1 Bowsher at there gym as well at North Baltimore.

So they are plenty tested. Sad not at full strength, I agree with Woodley I would favor MV straight up now I will say toss up.
Old 03-12-18, 02:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
Coleman for MV is athletic and has a motor if he and Johnson do there things Convoy will have their hands full.

As far as playing noone MV played The Wellington school top 10 D3 in the state Cardinal Stritch top 5 D3 in the state also beat D1 Bowsher at there gym as well at North Baltimore.

So they are plenty tested. Sad not at full strength, I agree with Woodley I would favor MV straight up now I will say toss up.
Wellington is down this year....though they have been good in the past. Stritch wasn't a top 10 team in D3 other than in the AP Poll, which we all know isn't reliable...and North Baltimore doesn't win 10 games playing the schedule that Crestview did. Not sayiing MVCD isn't a good team, but their schedule is awful other than 2 games.
Old 03-12-18, 04:02 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wellington is down this year....though they have been good in the past. Stritch wasn't a top 10 team in D3 other than in the AP Poll, which we all know isn't reliable...and North Baltimore doesn't win 10 games playing the schedule that Crestview did. Not sayiing MVCD isn't a good team, but their schedule is awful other than 2 games.
Is Archbold a top 10 team? I thought they were even if AP had them at 11. They were the 1seed for a reason.

Stritch was putting it on Archbold pretty good until their 1st and 3rd scorers got sidelined with foul trouble.

For the game Stritch shot over 50% from 2, 7/14 from 3, 8/11 from the foul line with only 6 turnovers 4 of them on offensive fouls.

Archbold was good, Williams played out of his mind and Stritch was not able to defend as aggressive as normal because of a real quick whistle. Good game but Stritch was not able to beat Archbold at their own game using their 2nd team major minutes.

Last edited by Smalls; 03-12-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 04:35 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
As far as this game is concerned with Woodley out 6'6" freakishly athletic player with D2 offers I am not sure Maumee Valley can pull it off. They are fast and athletic, but I can see them in foul trouble.
Old 03-12-18, 04:51 PM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You might want to get your facts straight. Wellington down this year? They gave Harvest Prep their closest game to date. Only other regular season losses were to D1 Upper Arlington & D2 Bishop Hartley. Maxpreps had Stritch in their D3 top ten all season.

Crestview has a great shot at winning the regional, and their schedule is much better than MV's. However, you fail to mention that 12 of Crestview's 22 regular season games came against teams that finished under .500. The Northwest Conference was really down so it's tough to judge how good Crestview really is.
Old 03-12-18, 05:29 PM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
You might want to get your facts straight. Wellington down this year? They gave Harvest Prep their closest game to date. Only other regular season losses were to D1 Upper Arlington & D2 Bishop Hartley. Maxpreps had Stritch in their D3 top ten all season.

Crestview has a great shot at winning the regional, and their schedule is much better than MV's. However, you fail to mention that 12 of Crestview's 22 regular season games came against teams that finished under .500. The Northwest Conference was really down so it's tough to judge how good Crestview really is.
Max preps also has Ottawa glandorf losing this year to some small Indiana school- the same night they had a league game scheduled? Hartley had a decent record but the Columbus Catholics were overall down - Columbus ready did posterize Hartley by 20 before their best player was no longer able to play.
Wellington's schedule - again outside of a couple of teams Is pretty soft and mostly d4.
I'd agree with most of the rest of your post, but until, a TAAC team gets it done - this is the expectation of most that they can't .
Old 03-14-18, 09:09 AM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Max preps also has Ottawa glandorf losing this year to some small Indiana school- the same night they had a league game scheduled? Hartley had a decent record but the Columbus Catholics were overall down - Columbus ready did posterize Hartley by 20 before their best player was no longer able to play.
Wellington's schedule - again outside of a couple of teams Is pretty soft and mostly d4.
I'd agree with most of the rest of your post, but until, a TAAC team gets it done - this is the expectation of most that they can't .
Not disagreeing with you on maxpreps. They continue to be plagued by shoddy reporting, inaccurate schedules, etc. Last I looked, they had Columbus South and New Concord John Glenn as their top two teams in D2. We all complain about the AP poll and rightly so, but I don't know of a good statewide rating system. I always thought calpreps was the best until they got swallowed up by max preps.

TAAC will only play 10 league games with Gibsonburg and Danbury leaving. Great opportunity next year for Stritch and MVCD to upgrade their schedules although MVCD will need to bring in a couple more players. That assumes nobody leaves.

With Woodley, MVCD would have rebounded better but wouldn't have beaten Crestview.
Old 03-14-18, 11:29 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not disagreeing with you on maxpreps. They continue to be plagued by shoddy reporting, inaccurate schedules, etc. Last I looked, they had Columbus South and New Concord John Glenn as their top two teams in D2. We all complain about the AP poll and rightly so, but I don't know of a good statewide rating system. I always thought calpreps was the best until they got swallowed up by max preps.

TAAC will only play 10 league games with Gibsonburg and Danbury leaving. Great opportunity next year for Stritch and MVCD to upgrade their schedules although MVCD will need to bring in a couple more players. That assumes nobody leaves.

With Woodley, MVCD would have rebounded better but wouldn't have beaten Crestview.
I heard last night at the games that Zeb Jackson is transfering out to play for his Uncle at Lima Senior. Nothing would surprise me with that program down there...
Old 03-14-18, 11:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKnowIt View Post
I heard last night at the games that Zeb Jackson is transfering out to play for his Uncle at Lima Senior. Nothing would surprise me with that program down there...
Wouldn't surprise me...the talent level in Limaland is down a right now at all the Lima schools. Lima Senior can't win with the kids they have locally so they were bound to extend their reach a little bit to help out at some point. It's happened before....heck, at least this time the kid is from this country
Old 03-14-18, 12:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me...the talent level in Limaland is down a right now at all the Lima schools. Lima Senior can't win with the kids they have locally so they were bound to extend their reach a little bit to help out at some point. It's happened before....heck, at least this time the kid is from this country
They gotta keep up with the St. John's of the world! I saw a tweet that not one of St. John's starters are from any of the Toledo feeder schools.

I know Houston King should have graduated late year with the Steiben kid at Ottawa Hills, but St. JOhns convinced him to transfer and repeat 8th grade again.......crazy how it all works.
Old 03-14-18, 12:13 PM
All District

Zeb Jackson is the cousin of Xavier Simpson? Simpson's dad coaches senior and transferred from LCC to Senior when his dad got the job. Not sure Jackson is of any relation to anyone at Lima Senior
Old 03-14-18, 01:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Zeb Jackson is the cousin of Xavier Simpson? Simpson's dad coaches senior and transferred from LCC to Senior when his dad got the job. Not sure Jackson is of any relation to anyone at Lima Senior
If you got to Quincy Simpon's twitter it says in clear english "Congrats Nephew" on the picture where Zeb was offered by a d1 program last week.
Old 03-14-18, 01:20 PM
All District

Quote:
If you got to Quincy Simpon's twitter it says in clear english "Congrats Nephew" on the picture where Zeb was offered by a d1 program last week.
Ahh. Took me a while but I found it. I wonder if it is a biological nephew. The only other Simpson that I know from that family is Greg....and Greg is a legend. Could be a neat story if he transfers. However, after seeing MVCD and their young talent (as well as Zeb getting an offer last night from Duquesne), I would say that a team like them is a year or two away from a state title.

Last edited by thereckoning; 03-14-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Ahh. Took me a while but I found it. I wonder if it is a biological nephew. The only other Simpson that I know from that family is Greg....and Greg is a legend. Could be a neat story if he transfers. However, after seeing MVCD and their young talent (as well as Zeb getting an offer last night from Duquesne), I would say that a team like them is a year or two away from a state title.
They had 14 points at halftime last night....and lost by 16 points to a Crestview team that's gonna be good for a long time. Seems to me talk of a state title anytime soon is quite the stretch considering they can't even win a league title in what is easily the weakest small school league in NW Ohio. I have a funny feeling that if one kid really is considering leaving....there may be more to follow. D1 recruits don't like losing to small town teams like Crestview....it looks bad on the resume lol.
Old 03-14-18, 02:00 PM
All District

Quote:
They had 14 points at halftime last night....and lost by 16 points to a Crestview team that's gonna be good for a long time. Seems to me talk of a state title anytime soon is quite the stretch considering they can't even win a league title in what is easily the weakest small school league in NW Ohio. I have a funny feeling that if one kid really is considering leaving....there may be more to follow. D1 recruits don't like losing to small town teams like Crestview....it looks bad on the resume lol.
Every kid on Crestview's squad plays on the AAU circuit (currently or past) including a couple on Nike Elite circuits (also D1 recruits). I was at the game last night. Crestview is the team I have touted on these message boards. The best D IV school in Northwest Ohio I've seen play since the 97 Lancers. However, with two sophomore guards, a freshman post and a couple other pieces as MVCD had...and seeing the spurts of excellence that they were able to show, I would definitely put them as a contender next year if the nucleus sticks together.

But, I'll take nothing away from Crestview. They should contend this year and next, just as the 96-97 Lancers did.
Old 03-14-18, 02:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Every kid on Crestview's squad plays on the AAU circuit (currently or past) including a couple on Nike Elite circuits (also D1 recruits). I was at the game last night. Crestview is the team I have touted on these message boards. The best D IV school in Northwest Ohio I've seen play since the 97 Lancers. However, with two sophomore guards, a freshman post and a couple other pieces as MVCD had...and seeing the spurts of excellence that they were able to show, I would definitely put them as a contender next year if the nucleus sticks together.

But, I'll take nothing away from Crestview. They should contend this year and next, just as the 96-97 Lancers did.
Now I don't want to start a big argument but that is one of the biggest stretches i have ever heard. Do you remember how good that '97 Lincolnview team was? They won every tournament game by double digits. Outside the Leipsic game in the regional finals i believe all their tournament wins were by 20+ sometimes even reaching 35!

I don't think this Crestview team is even in the same category as their state title team a couple years back. Now don't get me wrong, I think they are very good and will get to Columbus and anything can happen at that point.

I just think you comparing them to the Lincolview team is not realistic. They had to have two miracles to win their district. That Lincolnview team was DOMINANT. That Crestview team from a couple years back was DOMINANT this team is not that way. They are very very good just not that good.
Old 03-14-18, 02:08 PM
All American

I'm not doubting Crestview...they were the obvious choice to go to Cbus from NW Ohio since the start of the year and probably will be next year. I'm just saying that with teams like MVCD, especially in D4 they can have all the talent in the world and it doesn't mean squat when it comes to beating teams of small town kids who have been together since 4th grade that play good fundamental basketball. I just don't see them keeping enough kids to do it....the D1 recruits will likely jump ship to play with the "big boys" in Toledo instead of playing for a team that gets 200 people at their home games most nights.
Old 03-14-18, 02:15 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to Coach Simpson's Twitter, Zeb already plays AAU for him at C2K. I know nothing of the situation, but saw him post the pic a few weeks ago.
Old 03-14-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Now I don't want to start a big argument but that is one of the biggest stretches i have ever heard. Do you remember how good that '97 Lincolnview team was? They won every tournament game by double digits. Outside the Leipsic game in the regional finals i believe all their tournament wins were by 20+ sometimes even reaching 35!

I don't think this Crestview team is even in the same category as their state title team a couple years back. Now don't get me wrong, I think they are very good and will get to Columbus and anything can happen at that point.

I just think you comparing them to the Lincolview team is not realistic. They had to have two miracles to win their district. That Lincolnview team was DOMINANT. That Crestview team from a couple years back was DOMINANT this team is not that way. They are very very good just not that good.
I was in Columbus for the state tourney in 97. There were a lot of people there that after watching that weekend would have told you Lincolnview may have been the best team in the building that weekend...in any division. Not many D4 teams will ever have people thinking that....let alone come out and say it in public....that team was just that good
Old 03-14-18, 02:16 PM
All District

Quote:
They gotta keep up with the St. John's of the world! I saw a tweet that not one of St. John's starters are from any of the Toledo feeder schools.

I know Houston King should have graduated late year with the Steiben kid at Ottawa Hills, but St. JOhns convinced him to transfer and repeat 8th grade again.......crazy how it all works.
Reclassifying is getting out of hand. Pretty soon you're going to have kids graduating high school who can legally buy liquor.
Old 03-14-18, 02:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
Reclassifying is getting out of hand. Pretty soon you're going to have kids graduating high school who can legally buy liquor.
Wait, you're saying it was for sports.....not because he wasn't getting a quality education at Ottawa Hills??
Old 03-14-18, 02:22 PM
All District

Quote:
Wait, you're saying it was for sports.....not because he wasn't getting a quality education at Ottawa Hills??
Ha!
Old 03-14-18, 02:53 PM
All District

Whoa whoa whoa! Lol. I said the best SINCE the 97 Lancers. Not better than. But good points guys. And yes. I know that 97 squad quite well.
Old 03-14-18, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They already have D1 offers. College coaches don't give didly who they "lose to." Besides, you'd agree Crestview matches up well higher division no? Why undersell people who make over a half mill to the skies the limit's ability to know good.

Besides, MVCD looks good on a resume, if the kid also has academic asperations.
Old 03-14-18, 06:24 PM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Disagree Stout kid would've never got 20 pts and Woodley would've had at-least his average of 15-10 MVCD chances to win outright.

Unfortunately even with Woodley can't make up for coaching bad plays and decisions check out this the stats from the game. REALLY??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Official Stats.pdf (503.3 KB, 58 views)