Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Ottawa Glandorf by 1-10 5 50.00%
Ottawa Glandorf by 11-20 3 30.00%
Ottawa Glandorf by 21+ 0 0%
Archbold by 1-10 1 10.00%
Archbold by 11-20 0 0%
Archbold by 21+ 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-18, 02:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
DIII BG/Toledo Regional Semifinal: Ottawa Glandorf (24-1) vs Archbold (21-3)

DIII Bowling Green/Toledo Regional Semifinal: Ottawa Glandorf (24-1) vs Archbold (21-3)

Who wins?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 06:54 AM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
This game is going to be ridiculously good. The Stroh will be filled with navy & gold.

O-G beat Archbold 70-65 around the holidays on Kaufman's second game back for OG. I've said since that game, O-G would beat Archbold a second time in tournament, pretty easily.

But after watching the Streaks against Cardinal Stritch Saturday, I'm not so sure anymore. I really have no clue who's going to win. Archbold does not hurt itself, and they knocked down a ton of shots against CS. Went 21-24 from the line as well and get points from 8+ guys.

They're going to have to play perfect to beat OG, which is definitely possible under Krauss. Haven't seen OG play since the first time these guys matched up, but I still picked OG by 1-10...even though I have 0% confidence in that pick
Old 03-13-18, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
This game is going to be ridiculously good. The Stroh will be filled with navy & gold.
Doing something only rarely done by the University's teams.
Old 03-13-18, 10:36 AM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
Quote:

O-G beat Archbold 70-65 around the holidays on Kaufman's second game back for OG. I've said since that game, O-G would beat Archbold a second time in tournament, pretty easily.

But after watching the Streaks against Cardinal Stritch Saturday, I'm not so sure anymore. I really have no clue who's going to win. Archbold does not hurt itself, and they knocked down a ton of shots against CS. Went 21-24 from the line as well and get points from 8+ guys.

They're going to have to play perfect to beat OG, which is definitely possible under Krauss. Haven't seen OG play since the first time these guys matched up, but I still picked OG by 1-10...even though I have 0% confidence in that pick
Good post - but here are my observations on OG and Archbold and the coaching staffs of each : Typically the O-G staff has executed game "2's" with a common opponent better - historically, and in the tournament. LCC is one team in particular I am thinking of, but also with games against the Streaks. The exception was Elida last year, but in looking at the adjustments and execution of the players for Archbold - VS- Wauseon this year in both games, and over the years Archbold has struggled.
This is by no means saying Krauss isn't a good coach - just pointing this out IMO.
Point number 2 is that Kaufman - in game one - was just coming off his injury and the team had to adjust in bringing him back into the line up.

Finally neither Cardinal Stritch, or Archbold is as deep as O-G, and hasn't played at the same level in competition in the regular season overall.

These points lead me to think O-G ought to win this, hopefully with a healthy full compliment of all players. One key is how fast do the Titans get out of the gate ... that might put this away early - on the other hand I think O-G has the better ability to come back against the Streaks if they start out fast, just on their depth, and ability to defend, rebound and shoot the three.

Regardless I expect a good game - the STROH to be packed and loud with Blue and Gold fans - and you see a lot of respect between these two communities!!

Good article from the Cresent News out of Defiance : https://www.crescent-news.com/sports...4cb354e17.html

Last edited by boater; 03-13-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Archbold was ahead of O-G by 1 with 30 seconds at their place but missed free throws at the end and ended up losing by 5. I think Archbold will win this one if it comes down to the wire because Archbold has been tested by Wauseon, (twice), O-G, and Stritch, so if it comes down to a very tight game, that might be an advantage for us because we have had some closer games.

Last edited by bdill100; 03-14-18 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 12:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Good post - but here are my observations on OG and Archbold and the coaching staffs of each : Typically the O-G staff has executed game "2's" with a common opponent better - historically, and in the tournament. LCC is one team in particular I am thinking of, but also with games against the Streaks. The exception was Elida last year, but in looking at the adjustments and execution of the players for Archbold - VS- Wauseon this year in both games, and over the years Archbold has struggled.
This is by no means saying Krauss isn't a good coach - just pointing this out IMO.
Point number 2 is that Kaufman - in game one - was just coming off his injury and the team had to adjust in bringing him back into the line up.

Finally neither Cardinal Stritch, or Archbold is as deep as O-G, and hasn't played at the same level in competition in the regular season overall.

These points lead me to think O-G ought to win this, hopefully with a healthy full compliment of all players. One key is how fast do the Titans get out of the gate ... that might put this away early - on the other hand I think O-G has the better ability to come back against the Streaks if they start out fast, just on their depth, and ability to defend, rebound and shoot the three.

Regardless I expect a good game - the STROH to be packed and loud with Blue and Gold fans - and you see a lot of respect between these two communities!!

Good article from the Cresent News out of Defiance : https://www.crescent-news.com/sports...4cb354e17.html
That's a pretty interesting tidbit. Never really took that into account. Still would be tough to bet against either coach.

If Bryce Williams played like he did on Saturday, I'm not sure Archbold will lose. Stritch came out and was up double digits, and Williams went off in the second quarter to give them 6-pt lead at half. So they've showed they can get back into games. Either way, it would surprise me if this game got to be out of hand at any point.

And funny you mention that CN article, I wrote the game article from the first time these guys played for them. Haha
Old 03-13-18, 12:06 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
I say pick 'em. They are both great teams, well coached, battle tested and they've got the pedigree. Sad I have to miss the game, but I will be in attendance Saturday night to see them play the winner of Africentric/Carey. Gotta think it will be Africentric, but I don't know much about Carey.
Old 03-13-18, 12:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdill100 View Post
Archbold was ahead of O-G by 1 with 30 seconds at their place but missed free throws at the end and ended up losing by 5. I think Archbold will win this one if it comes down to the wire because Archbold has been tested by Wauseon, (twice), O-G, and Stritch, and they have had more challenges this year than O-G has.
Uhhhh, O-G's schedule was wayyyyy tougher than Archbold's. Like 100x tougher...They beat four D-1 teams..10 D-2 teams....Played 1 D-4 team all season..

Archbold has beaten Edgerton, Holgate, Pettisville, Fairview, Continental, Stryker, Patrick Henry, the rest of the below average NWOAL teams, etc. etc. etc.
Old 03-13-18, 12:22 PM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uhhhh, O-G's schedule was wayyyyy tougher than Archbold's. Like 100x tougher...They beat four D-1 teams..10 D-2 teams....Played 1 D-4 team all season..

Archbold has beaten Edgerton, Holgate, Pettisville, Fairview, Continental, Stryker, Patrick Henry, the rest of the below average NWOAL teams, etc. etc. etc.
Hang on. Let's not blow this out of proportion. Bath, LCC, Bluffton, Perrysburg, Celina etc. aren't exactly your juggernauts. The WBL had a pretty harsh year for their standards in basketball.

However, I do like the quality of opponents better. And OG is red hot. I see them winning this one by 10. Being in control most of the game.
Old 03-13-18, 12:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
That's a pretty interesting tidbit. Never really took that into account. Still would be tough to bet against either coach.

If Bryce Williams played like he did on Saturday, I'm not sure Archbold will lose. Stritch came out and was up double digits, and Williams went off in the second quarter to give them 6-pt lead at half. So they've showed they can get back into games. Either way, it would surprise me if this game got to be out of hand at any point.

And funny you mention that CN article, I wrote the game article from the first time these guys played for them. Haha
Good deal on your article & I have a ton of respect for coach Krauss. As far as Williams going off on Stritch that is in part due to Stritch getting into foul trouble and not being that deep off the bench - part of my initial point . Not saying that Williams isn't capable - but - the Streaks did start strong against O-G in their first meeting, yet O-G had the answer - at the right time.

Now that Kaufman has been playing with the team for close to three months - it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Two great communities , both rich in basketball tradition - O-G playing in the regional in 7 out of the last 8 years - and Archbold the defending regional champs.

In regards to the other match up - Carey shoots the three well and has had a nice year - but schedule is very soft. The Norwalk district was also very weak . My money is on the Nubians playing for the regional title game against what I believe to be this region's winner overall in the O-G -vs-Archbold game.
Old 03-13-18, 12:30 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
As much as I would like to see Carey win and guarantee a small town NW Ohio team in Columbus, I will be shocked if they stay within 25 points of Africentric....and that may be by halftime
Old 03-13-18, 12:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
Hang on. Let's not blow this out of proportion. Bath, LCC, Bluffton, Perrysburg, Celina etc. aren't exactly your juggernauts. The WBL had a pretty harsh year for their standards in basketball.

However, I do like the quality of opponents better. And OG is red hot. I see them winning this one by 10. Being in control most of the game.
True in this year - but Perrysburg D1 ( weren't terrible - but not typical either for a Joyce coached team ) , LCC ( in the last D3 finals 3 consecutive years) , and Celina D2 ( was tied with O-G for most WBL titles until last year ?) are not regular doormats either !
Old 03-13-18, 01:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post

.....who said they were juggernauts? Not what I'm saying at all...Let me spell it out for ya real quick..

Here's what I'm saying:
  • Perrysburg, Findlay, Bowling Green, Lima Senior. LS and Perrysburg are good D-I teams. Beat all four.
  • Although the WBL was down, the conference as a whole is still better than the NWOAL as a whole. NWOAL has Wauseon & Archbold. No one else. WBL has OG, Elida, Shawnee, Wapak, Van Wert.
  • Archbold has no business at all playing 1-21 Holgate & Continental...Fairview, Stryker, Pettisville, Edgerton, compared to what O-G has gone up against week in and week out, is far inferior.
Old 03-13-18, 01:34 PM
All American

Don't forget Lexington, who plays Wauseon tomorrow. I really think overall Lexington is the best team the Indians have seen this season. Should be a good one
Old 03-13-18, 02:15 PM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
.....who said they were juggernauts? Not what I'm saying at all...Let me spell it out for ya real quick..

Here's what I'm saying:
  • Perrysburg, Findlay, Bowling Green, Lima Senior. LS and Perrysburg are good D-I teams. Beat all four.
  • Although the WBL was down, the conference as a whole is still better than the NWOAL as a whole. NWOAL has Wauseon & Archbold. No one else. WBL has OG, Elida, Shawnee, Wapak, Van Wert.
  • Archbold has no business at all playing 1-21 Holgate & Continental...Fairview, Stryker, Pettisville, Edgerton, compared to what O-G has gone up against week in and week out, is far inferior.
Yes. I did say, I like the quality of opponents better.

Why Archbold plays those teams....proximity. Its the same reason the WBL, NWC, PCL, and MAC all have one or two of each on one another's schedules. You pick from the surrounding counties and sometimes a conference is down.

I will say this. OG's numbers, whether against inferior opponents or not, are pretty impressive. They can score. Again, I like their chances.
Old 03-14-18, 02:30 AM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Titans are so long and fast they present a handful of issues on the defensive end for most teams.

Link to listen to the game courtesy of WZOQ Radio http://www.christiannetcast.com/list...n=zsportslive2
Old 03-14-18, 01:33 PM
Freshman

SENDIT is on a distinguished road
Gonna be a great one tonight. Long time rivals meeting up in the Regional semis. I predict Archbold by 21. They've had a great run so far, playing very difficult teams. OG hasn't had a challenge yet. OG won't know what hit em.
Old 03-14-18, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
Gonna be a great one tonight. Long time rivals meeting up in the Regional semis. I predict Archbold by 21. They've had a great run so far, playing very difficult teams. OG hasn't had a challenge yet. OG won't know what hit em.

Lol....welcome to Yappi SENDIT....good comedy is always appreciated Makes the day go by quicker. Thanks bud!
Old 03-14-18, 02:26 PM
Freshman

SENDIT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Lol....welcome to Yappi SENDIT....good comedy is always appreciated Makes the day go by quicker. Thanks bud!
Thanks for the welcome... glad you got a kick out of it. I see you are an OG fan, which is understandable. We'll see who the real comedian is tonight. See ya there
Old 03-14-18, 07:23 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hirn View Post
Titans are so long and fast they present a handful of issues on the defensive end for most teams.

Link to listen to the game courtesy of WZOQ Radio http://www.christiannetcast.com/list...n=zsportslive2
Thanks for this, the link is working great!!!
Old 03-14-18, 08:29 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Archbold 57 - OG 48 end of 3.
Old 03-14-18, 08:39 PM
All World

Archbold 67 - OG 58 under 4 minutes to go.
Old 03-14-18, 08:44 PM
All World

Archbold 70 - OG 64 less than 3 minutes left.
Old 03-14-18, 08:44 PM
All District

tndog is on a distinguished road
As consistently good as Coach Krauss and Archbold have been, I will defer their scheduling to them
Old 03-14-18, 08:45 PM
All World

OG has made only one 3 pointer up to this point.
Old 03-14-18, 08:49 PM
All World

Archbold 73 - OG 68 1:12 to go.
Old 03-14-18, 08:54 PM
All World

Archbold is going to win have to admit I am surprised. Blue Streaks handled Titans pressure well. Archbold up 78 - 68 less than 10 sec. left.
Old 03-14-18, 08:55 PM
All District

tndog is on a distinguished road
Archbold wins
Old 03-14-18, 08:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENDIT View Post
Heck uv a prediction not by 21 but still. Have any NCAA predictions ?
Old 03-14-18, 09:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Bryce Williams follows up his 30-burger in the District finals with a 32 piece tonight. This dude is unreal. Streaks pulled away mid third when they hit 4 threes in 4 possessions..and if they got a slim lead, chances are they won’t let it go. They make minimal mistakes and make their freebies. Hopefully they can knock off the Nubians.