Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-18, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Melt Restaurant

Went there for the first time yesterday and it was real let down.

What kind of experience has everyone else had?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Same. Hard to screw up melted cheese, but I was underwhelmed given the place's popularity. They really grew on the momentum of their Food Channel notoriety.
Old 03-07-18, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Never disappointed. Always well made, unique, plentiful even for the $ and I like the atmosphere. Regulars don't ignore you, are friendly. Don't like paying for parking. Everyone I've taken has had fun. Anyone I've taken a take-out said they liked it a lot, though some of that don't reheat that well. I don't see how it can be said that can't be messed up? Doesn't seem easy to make to me. Pretty easy I'd think, to mess up any sandwich that thick with stuff. Bread gets soggy, middle don't cook... Haven't had any problem like that (yet).

Are there others? Only one I've been to is the original (?) in Lakewood? Stopping in on returns home from Cleveland. I'm really not supposed to eat that, but sshhhhh. I like that atmosphere. Big city neighborhood instead of strip mall. THere's a bakery up the road I also like a lot, but my appts are often on Mondays so...
Old 03-07-18, 05:10 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
I've been to the one in the Short North, just south of the OSU campus and it was very busy for a mid afternoon stop. . .past the lunch time rush and too early for the after work or evening crowd. Granted, the menu was rather unique, surprised on how many variations of a grilled cheese sandwich could be created, but it was something different.

It wasn't a destination restaurant, but my wife and I were in Columbus visiting our daughter and just happened upon it so decided to give it a try. The staff was pretty friendly and we got the impression the customers were probably all regulars. Nice atmosphere, but not a place we would specifically seek out again when we are in the area, too many other options available offering more variety than melted cheese.

JB
Old 03-07-18, 06:28 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Never disappointed. Always well made, unique, plentiful even for the $ and I like the atmosphere. Regulars don't ignore you, are friendly. Don't like paying for parking. Everyone I've taken has had fun. Anyone I've taken a take-out said they liked it a lot, though some of that don't reheat that well. I don't see how it can be said that can't be messed up? Doesn't seem easy to make to me. Pretty easy I'd think, to mess up any sandwich that thick with stuff. Bread gets soggy, middle don't cook... Haven't had any problem like that (yet).

Are there others? Only one I've been to is the original (?) in Lakewood? Stopping in on returns home from Cleveland. I'm really not supposed to eat that, but sshhhhh. I like that atmosphere. Big city neighborhood instead of strip mall. THere's a bakery up the road I also like a lot, but my appts are often on Mondays so...
13 total now according to the website.

https://meltbarandgrilled.com/locations/

There's a little place in Acorn Alley in Kent named "Twisted Meltz" whose food I prefer.
Old 03-07-18, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post

There's a little place in Acorn Alley in Kent named "Twisted Meltz" whose food I prefer.
Photos look good. I'll have to try it. Gotten in the habit of taking the same roads and routes, seeing the same things. Been a LONG time, since I've taken a more south route west to east and I don't see places like Kent.
Old 03-08-18, 12:00 AM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Oh. I thought you guys were talking about this place:

https://themelt.com/

I was going to be somewhat surprised that it had made it out to Ohio already.
Old 03-08-18, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

Anybody had Tom & Chee? Place made it big through Shark Tank. They make grilled cheese with glazed doughnuts and american cheese. Healthy combo. I'm a sugar fiend and found it too damn sweet.
Old 03-08-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Melt is OK, too much bread for my taste in their sammies. Everyone takes a doggy bag home because there is just too much of everything and this is a cuisine that doesn't lend its self to left overs. Have not been in years.
Old 03-08-18, 09:44 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anybody had Tom & Chee? Place made it big through Shark Tank. They make grilled cheese with glazed doughnuts and american cheese. Healthy combo. I'm a sugar fiend and found it too damn sweet.
Honestly didn't think Tom and Chee was anything special. Not sure how some of them ever passed a health inspection
Old 03-08-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Melt is OK, too much bread for my taste in their sammies. Everyone takes a doggy bag home because there is just too much of everything and this is a cuisine that doesn't lend its self to left overs. Have not been in years.
It is definitely advertised as being bulk over quality. Some of the stuff they advertise is absurd.

What shocked me was that my sandwich, the cleveland cheese steak, wasn't really that big at all. And not very tasty either.

The fries were actually tastier than the sandwich.

The appetizer we got, because we were hungry and knew there would be a wait, was bad too. We got was supposed to be fresh potato chips and french onion dip. The chips were not fresh. They clearly came from a bag and the french onion dip was an ice cream scoop of some kind of french onion paste that appeared to have gone through a blender 10 times over. They were 6 bucks. A similar app with actual fresh fried chips and excellent dip can be had most other places for about 3 bucks.

And the service was awful for a Tuesday at 2pm. It took a solid 90 minutes from the moment we entered til we left.

For almost 25 bucks including tip it was absolutely not worth the time or money.

Maybe it was better when they only had a few locations.
Old 03-08-18, 02:41 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Was it the original in cleveland or one of the new ones in Columbus?
Old 03-08-18, 03:30 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
I've been to the one in the Short North, just south of the OSU campus and it was very busy for a mid afternoon stop. . .past the lunch time rush and too early for the after work or evening crowd. Granted, the menu was rather unique, surprised on how many variations of a grilled cheese sandwich could be created, but it was something different.

It wasn't a destination restaurant, but my wife and I were in Columbus visiting our daughter and just happened upon it so decided to give it a try. The staff was pretty friendly and we got the impression the customers were probably all regulars. Nice atmosphere, but not a place we would specifically seek out again when we are in the area, too many other options available offering more variety than melted cheese.

JB
Similar experience here, JB. Mrs. Zunardo and I went about two years ago, our oldest son would not rest until he had "taken" us there. I was doubtful I would like anything, but I also saw so two or three things I wouldn't mind trying. As you said, creative combinations.

We went at night, and the only light we had to read the menu came from the bar, lol. Not a place I'd seek out, either, but it was a break from the routine. Made our son happy, also.
Old 03-08-18, 07:38 PM
All Yappi

I've been back to my campus. More than a couple of places I thought during college, were places I had to take folks from home, are really kind of bland. Life experience I guess.
Old 03-08-18, 08:08 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
I’ve never been, but I’m picturing plenty of tattoos, man buns, and hipster beards behind the counter.
Old 03-08-18, 08:32 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Iíve never been, but Iím picturing plenty of tattoos, man buns, and hipster beards behind the counter.
Uncanny.
Old 03-08-18, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Honestly didn't think Tom and Chee was anything special. Not sure how some of them ever passed a health inspection
Same here. Went to the Hilliard location a few times after it opened and was never impressed and I got something different every time. I wasn't surprised when they closed that location.

I've been to the Melt in Cleveland before they were on Man Vs Food. I remember the food being really tasty but really greasy. It did a number on my digestive system to the point that I had to stop at a McDonalds along I-71 on the way back to Columbus and put a hurting on one of their toilets.
Old 03-09-18, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Was it the original in cleveland or one of the new ones in Columbus?
I was at the one in Canton.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: