Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-18, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
As I sit here tonight it is 9:17 and she is not home yet. Left at 7:30 this morning.
Uh guys, should we tell him?
Old 03-08-18, 08:21 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Uh guys, should we tell him?
Don't ruin it for me. Cockblocker!!
Old 03-08-18, 08:52 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Well, yeah, you have to. You just take whatever crumbs management decides you should have. I bet you’ve worked at the same company your entire life.
Happily...never complained once about what I make. Not driven by money.
Old 03-08-18, 08:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
My wife is a teacher. We home schooled our kids for awhile and she enjoyed it (the teaching) so much she went back to college for her degree and began teaching at age 34.

Neither of us were prepared for what time was required to properly teach when you are wanting to challenge each student at their level, and diferintiate your lessons and plans based upon each individual child.

The first year she taught at a large public school and averaged over 90 hours per week and worked 351 days. You suggest she did not know what she was doing. Couldn't be more wrong. She is driven by a belief that nothing short of your absolute best is acceptable.

I have suggested many times for her to cut back to a reasonable effort but thast is not her nature, in fact, she really does not care what she makes, much to my disappointment.

When she student taught, she saw the complete opposite side, one teacher always gave the entire class the same worksheets every year for the last 20 years. She could work seven hours a day and get by for 35 hours per week, but her teaching lacked individual care and the students did not advance properly.

The most difficult thing for me about teaching is the harder you work, the less you make. That is counter intuitive to my mindset as an entrepreneur where the harder you work the more you make.

I am surprised anyone goes into education today with the demands placed on them and the lack of support of the parents. Not going to begrudge a 5% raise to teachers.
D4fan, you have just cemented my opinion. Why should your wife, who appears to be the top of the top of the teaching profession, make the same pay as the 6 1/2 hour per day, 190 day per year teacher who just does the minimum to get by?? Doesn't seem fair?

Also, you guys are missing one of the most important factors in public education. There are limited funds for this. Do you think the 5% pay raise for WVa teachers is a win across the board? It's a win for the teachers, but some other WVa residents will see that money shifted from their budgets to cover this cost, or the residents of WVa will be asked to pay more in taxes.

There are not unlimited resources to pay for public employees. There is always states who are at the top and bottom of the pay scale, to use that as and excuse to hold state leaders hostage is silly. Again, the cost of living in WVa isn't the highest in the country, so they are "staying in their lane".

Let's just call it what it is, they are using kids as bargaining chips.
Old 03-08-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Don't ruin it for me. Cockblocker!!
Yeah ok lol. She's working like 8 hours overtime not 5 minutes.
Old 03-08-18, 09:05 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
... who appears to be the top of the top of the teaching profession ...
There is no evidence to support that.
Old 03-08-18, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
D4fan, you have just cemented my opinion. Why should your wife, who appears to be the top of the top of the teaching profession, make the same pay as the 6 1/2 hour per day, 190 day per year teacher who just does the minimum to get by?? Doesn't seem fair?

Also, you guys are missing one of the most important factors in public education. There are limited funds for this. Do you think the 5% pay raise for WVa teachers is a win across the board? It's a win for the teachers, but some other WVa residents will see that money shifted from their budgets to cover this cost, or the residents of WVa will be asked to pay more in taxes.

There are not unlimited resources to pay for public employees. There is always states who are at the top and bottom of the pay scale, to use that as and excuse to hold state leaders hostage is silly. Again, the cost of living in WVa isn't the highest in the country, so they are "staying in their lane".

Let's just call it what it is, they are using kids as bargaining chips.
Lol.
Old 03-08-18, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
There is no evidence to support that.
He doesn’t need to support his opinion with facts, you must be new here.
Old 03-08-18, 09:28 AM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
why ?

Incorporation often means they risk little. They get to lie on their taxes in new and exciting ways if they choose to. Take liberties with vehicles, dining, sports tix.....all sorts of "allowable" shadiness. Often because their egos want autonomy, not because they offer any better service. Why must you fellate the entrepreneur so ?

Your Obama-loving side is showing again. Let me guess, they didn't build that?
Old 03-08-18, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
There are a lot of dudes on this board sitting on their parents couch who believe everyone is overpaid.
Amen to that.
Old 03-17-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

FYI.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018...at-the-numbers
Old 04-26-18, 10:38 AM
All World

Monkey see, monkey do. The Arizona teachers are stepping up their game! They are walking out, asking for a 20% pay raise!! 20%!! Seriously, I'm not making this up.

So I'm going to cut to the chase here. What are states going to do moving forward? Teacher unions are striking, holding kids education's hostage for more pay and benefits where the money simply isn't there? So what's the answer?
Old 04-26-18, 10:53 AM
All World

WykidWytch
Actually, their (Republican) governor has already promised them a 20% increase in pay by 2020, so that's not why they're walking out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/u...-colorado.html
Old 04-26-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Good for the teachers. They're criminally underpaid in most parts of the country and deserve to be paid more. Their task is to educate entire generations and should be compensated as such.
Old 04-26-18, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

14red lets other people determine his value. Sad.
Old 04-26-18, 11:09 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I disagree with the premise "most are criminally underpaid". Curious as to what others think about how much they should earn? What would satisfy you to no longer say "most teachers are criminally underpaid"

However I have stated before any prior commitments to benefits, pay, pension etc should be honored.
Old 04-26-18, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
14red lets other people determine his value. Sad.
Didn't he say he works at a place where he is unable to negotiate his salary? That's gotta be what's eating at him.
Old 04-26-18, 11:51 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can we say the cost of living in WVA is 47th of the 50 states? Don't twist this around. Of course the cost of living in some states are less than others. I'd guess it's pretty inexpensive to live in that state, compared to the others.

My main point is this, $47,000 per year is a good wage for most occupations. I'm sure the teachers would be upset if the districts just replaced them with other teachers, there are plenty of them out there looking for work and would be happy with that wage. My other point is that many in the private sector have gone years without a wage increase, and sometimes a pay cut, all the while seeing health insurance rates continue to rise. Should teachers be immune to the real world?

None of this is true!
Old 04-26-18, 11:54 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Lol, all the teachers I had were awful. Literally YouTube is better than teachers at teaching
Who are the teachers on YouTube?
Old 04-26-18, 12:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
what state can a teacher retire at 55? i need to move to that state. lol

jtk
()
RIGHT!!!
Old 04-26-18, 12:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Good for the teachers. They're criminally underpaid in most parts of the country and deserve to be paid more. Their task is to educate entire generations and should be compensated as such.
What would satisfy you to no longer say "most teachers are criminally underpaid"? What should they earn in your opinion?
Old 04-26-18, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

For North Carolina at least, more than $30,000 would certainly be nice.
Old 04-26-18, 12:09 PM
All World

Quote:
What is your number?
Old 04-26-18, 12:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Starting salary in North Carolina was raised to 35,000 in 2011 (republican initiative which i thought was odd) Average teacher salary is above 50,000 fwiw

Seems like they havent been at 30,000 in some time and lawmakers are saying the average will raise to 55,000 by 2020.
Old 04-26-18, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

I wouldn't mind seeing teachers make at least $50,000+. This would vary from state to state obviously, since cost of living is different everywhere. Obviously this money doesn't come out of thin air, you'd have to take from other areas. First thing I'd do is end the War on Drugs immediately. That frees up tens of billions of dollars that is currently going to waste. Marijuana should be federally legalized. States that have legalized it are putting revenue from that back into education, which is a great idea. Just a few ideas.

Also, I want it so that there is an incentive to become a teacher. The job as is isn't very attractive because the pay sucks. There also has to be some give on the teachers side as well. Bad teachers need to go. Similar to police unions, the jobs are too safe.
Old 04-26-18, 12:15 PM
All World

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing teachers make at least $50,000+. This would vary from state to state obviously, since cost of living is different everywhere.
Starting out or average?
Old 04-26-18, 12:20 PM
All World

National average for starting out is just under 39,000. National average for teachers is 58,950. I wouldn't say either average is "criminally underpaid" if the benefits/pensions promised are honored. Obviously it is an average and different from state to state so certain states probably do deserve more but to say the majority sre criminally underpaid is absurd.

40,000 starting out for 9 months of work, benefits, pension. Not a bad gig
Old 04-26-18, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Yes most is probably a stretch. It's just my opinion that we don't value our education system as much as we like to think we do. A well educated society is arguably the most important aspect of progressing forward.
Old 04-26-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes most is probably a stretch. It's just my opinion that we don't value our education system as much as we like to think we do. A well educated society is arguably the most important aspect of progressing forward.
Dont disagree with that at all.
Old 04-26-18, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
we don't value our education system as much as we like to think we do. A well educated society is arguably the most important aspect of progressing forward.
Agreed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: