Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-18, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
It's a very small sample size, but the handful of home-school kids I've had in class over the past 9 years have been woefully unprepared for college. Just one of them that I know lasted beyond the first year.

They've been cripplingly awkward around others, unable to manage a schedule, to name just a couple areas of concern. Maybe things are different in other areas.
That's a shame.

I'm not going to get into a detailed humble-brag about my boys, but they really are stellar academically, athletically, and socially by any objective measure. My wife and kids participated in two different large study groups while she was home-schooling. We still see many of those families today, and I can really think of two kids that fit your description of those that you encountered. Both are only children. One kid was homeschooled due to disciplinary issues, the other child has a very introverted mom. Any common thread with the kids you've been exposed to ?
Old 03-07-18, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Depending on how you invest your money, there are lots of jobs you can retire from at age 55.
Bingo

I'm counting down Fridays, myself. Less than a year
Old 03-07-18, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Any common thread with the kids you've been exposed to ?
Just that they're from Kentucky. Had one from Ohio.
Old 03-07-18, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I was expecting a little more out of you. You ruined my day.
That was a desperate troll on your part.
Old 03-07-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jesus, really? God forbid we ever reward people for doing a good job and inspire them to be even better. What is it with you people?
I have no problem with the teachers getting a raise, or being rewarded for their work. But saying it is 'for the kids' is disingenuous. Be honest. Say 'we are underpaid for the work we do'......

Saying 'this is for the kids' is in the same vein as saying 'if banning this (weapon, etc.) saves even one life then it is worth it.
Old 03-07-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
But saying it is 'for the kids' is disingenuous. Be honest. Say 'we are underpaid for the work we do'......
The work they do is for the kids.
Old 03-07-18, 02:35 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe for a day or two. Anybody that spends the entire break working on school doesn't know what they are doing.

Again, maybe for a day or two, and usually during a paid work day. But not all summer, the building is closed, or is being cleaned.

Maybe for a few days, and maybe getting paid a little extra to do so.
I never said they worked everyday of Christmas and spring breaks. I said they are grading papers or tests. If you have to spend a week grading tests you either have to many kids or you are dyslexic. I don't work on my days off so....

Some teachers actually spend more than 1 day setting up their class. I would come in every Monday before my summer job to help the chemistry/physics teacher inventory all of his supplies and get his storage room ready for all of the experiments we would do. If myself and another student didn't help it would've taken him several weeks to do it by himself. Yes they were cleaning the building but we had access the month of August.
Old 03-07-18, 02:59 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jesus, really? God forbid we ever reward people for doing a good job and inspire them to be even better. What is it with you people?
Old 03-07-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
No one attacking these people has ever taught a classroom for 180 days.

Every penny teachers teaching K-12 make is earned.

Now if you wanna talk higher ed, that's a different story.
Old 03-07-18, 03:18 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Lots of employers offer early retirement packages periodically. Is 14red even in the workforce?
I'm a lifer, I'm not retiring totally...
Old 03-07-18, 03:21 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Are you arguing for teachers now?

I see you conveniently ignored every post that made you look like a buffoon.
No, I'm just stating how screwed up unions are. They protect the weak.
Old 03-07-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm a lifer, I'm not retiring totally...
Well, yeah, you have to. You just take whatever crumbs management decides you should have. I bet youíve worked at the same company your entire life.
Old 03-07-18, 07:12 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's to the advantage of the school district to do that, not the teachers

Maybe for a day or two. Anybody that spends the entire break working on school doesn't know what they are doing.

Again, maybe for a day or two, and usually during a paid work day. But not all summer, the building is closed, or is being cleaned.

Maybe for a few days, and maybe getting paid a little extra to do so.

Sometimes teaching is a lot of work, and sometimes it is not. There are many variables.
My wife is a teacher. We home schooled our kids for awhile and she enjoyed it (the teaching) so much she went back to college for her degree and began teaching at age 34.

Neither of us were prepared for what time was required to properly teach when you are wanting to challenge each student at their level, and diferintiate your lessons and plans based upon each individual child.

The first year she taught at a large public school and averaged over 90 hours per week and worked 351 days. You suggest she did not know what she was doing. Couldn't be more wrong. She is driven by a belief that nothing short of your absolute best is acceptable.

I have suggested many times for her to cut back to a reasonable effort but thast is not her nature, in fact, she really does not care what she makes, much to my disappointment.

When she student taught, she saw the complete opposite side, one teacher always gave the entire class the same worksheets every year for the last 20 years. She could work seven hours a day and get by for 35 hours per week, but her teaching lacked individual care and the students did not advance properly.

The most difficult thing for me about teaching is the harder you work, the less you make. That is counter intuitive to my mindset as an entrepreneur where the harder you work the more you make.

I am surprised anyone goes into education today with the demands placed on them and the lack of support of the parents. Not going to begrudge a 5% raise to teachers.
Old 03-07-18, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
If your wife actually averaged almost 13 hours everyday working for an entire year with a family, her priorities were seriously messed up. My guess is you're just exaggerating by a lot.
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
If your wife actually averaged almost 13 hours everyday working for an entire year with a family, her priorities were seriously messed up. My guess is you're just exaggerating by a lot.
Don't hate. Be happy she isn't just showing up and skating by like your old lady
Old 03-07-18, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Don't hate.
Hate? I thought I made it clear my belief was he was just exaggerating.

Quote:
Be happy she isn't just showing up and skating by like your old lady
Who said she was skating by? Only a moron thinks the hours you spend at work equates to how effective you are at your job. On a side note, my old lady has several degrees and is certified to teach, how's that compare to the old lady that home schooled your children?
Old 03-07-18, 09:08 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
No one attacking these people has ever taught a classroom for 180 days.

Every penny teachers teaching K-12 make is earned.

Now if you wanna talk higher ed, that's a different story.
There are a lot of dudes on this board sitting on their parents couch who believe everyone is overpaid.
Old 03-07-18, 09:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
There are a lot of dudes on this board sitting on their parents couch who believe everyone is overpaid.
THe same guys that think ceos aren't over paid. Lol
Old 03-07-18, 09:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Not exaggerating at all. I logged all the hours as I am slightly anal that way. As I sit here tonight it is 9:17 and she is not home yet. Left at 7:30 this morning.

14 years into it now she still averages over 80 hours per week, 45 weeks out of the year, or as I like to remind her about $10 /hr.
Old 03-07-18, 09:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I worked in the finance department for one of the largest school district in the state for 9 years. I'm not dumb enough to apply my experience there, or with my wife, or with her sister (eastside school district) to everyone, but from my "limited" experience teachers do alright.
Old 03-07-18, 09:37 PM
All World

Quote:
I worked in the finance department for one of the largest school district in the state for 9 years. I'm not dumb enough to apply my experience there, or with my wife, or with her sister (eastside school district) to everyone, but from my "limited" experience teachers do alright.
Many teachers make a fair wage, but what if they took their skills and worked a job where they were paid by commission or in business for themselves and earned based off of the effort they give?

I would contend small (and I mean very small as in sole proprietors) business owners earn 2-3 times per hour worked what a teacher does, and while the teacher gets a retirement that does not come close to the accumulated wealth of a business owner.
Old 03-07-18, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Not exaggerating at all. I logged all the hours as I am slightly anal that way.
Given that you said you had kids, and she started teaching at 34, that must have sucked for you and the kids.

Quote:
As I sit here tonight it is 9:17 and she is not home yet. Left at 7:30 this morning.

14 years into it now she still averages over 80 hours per week, 45 weeks out of the year, or as I like to remind her about $10 /hr.
80 hours per week working?
Old 03-07-18, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Many teachers make a fair wage, but what if they took their skills and worked a job where they were paid by commission or in business for themselves and earned based off of the effort they give?
I couldn't give you a blanket answer for that as I've met so many teachers. I know most I've dealt with (including my wife) couldn't figure out how to be their own business.

Quote:
I would contend small (and I mean very small as in sole proprietors) business owners earn 2-3 times per hour worked what a teacher does, and while the teacher gets a retirement that does not come close to the accumulated wealth of a business owner.
People that risk everything to start a business should earn much more than that.
Old 03-07-18, 10:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not exaggerating at all. I logged all the hours as I am slightly anal that way. As I sit here tonight it is 9:17 and she is not home yet. Left at 7:30 this morning.

What does she tell sheís doing at the school from 3 to 9p?
Old 03-08-18, 05:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I couldn't give you a blanket answer for that as I've met so many teachers. I know most I've dealt with (including my wife) couldn't figure out how to be their own business.

People that risk everything to start a business should earn much more than that.
why ?

Incorporation often means they risk little. They get to lie on their taxes in new and exciting ways if they choose to. Take liberties with vehicles, dining, sports tix.....all sorts of "allowable" shadiness. Often because their egos want autonomy, not because they offer any better service. Why must you fellate the entrepreneur so ?
Old 03-08-18, 07:11 AM
All Yappi

It seems pretty stupid to argue an entrepreneur doesn’t deserve the opportunity to outearn a public school teacher, but weirdo seems to think they shouldn’t and the reason why is he thinks they are indulging in massive tax fraud to inflate their income. Of course weirdo naturally voted for the guy that campaigned that the tax laws and regulations on business owners large and small were too burdensome and enacted a tax cut to significantly benefit those very business owners.
Old 03-08-18, 07:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
It seems pretty stupid to argue an entrepreneur doesnít deserve the opportunity to outearn a public school teacher, but weirdo seems to think they shouldnít and the reason why is he thinks they are indulging in massive tax fraud to inflate their income.
lol exactly. He is way off base
Old 03-08-18, 07:24 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Neither of us were prepared for what time was required to properly teach

You suggest she did not know what she was doing. Couldn't be more wrong.
I don't believe that any first year teacher really knows what they're doing, and you agree that she was not prepared.

I think you proved me correct.

And I'm sorry for both of you, but if she is working 80 hours a week, including 9 weeks when school is not even in session, she is doing something wrong. I know lots of teachers, some are relatives. None of them work 80 hours a week for 45 weeks.
Old 03-08-18, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't believe that any first year teacher really knows what they're doing, and you agree that she was not prepared.

I think you proved me correct.
Well, she worked 90 hrs a week 351 days, so about 4500 hrs. Thatís nearly 13 hrs a day, even weekends, except for the 14 days she wasnít seeking teaching perfection. If thatís even close to true, thatís a huge waste.
Old 03-08-18, 07:34 AM
All American

Quote:
why ?

Incorporation often means they risk little. They get to lie on their taxes in new and exciting ways if they choose to. Take liberties with vehicles, dining, sports tix.....all sorts of "allowable" shadiness. Often because their egos want autonomy, not because they offer any better service. Why must you fellate the entrepreneur so ?
Then you should open a company, since you have very little to lose. I don't think you understand the whole business thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: